Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Conservative Group Calls for Boycott of Ben & Jerry's 'Schweddy Balls' Flavor (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Conservative Group Calls for Boycott of Ben & Jerry's 'Schweddy Balls' Flavor by OKflyboy
Started on: 09-29-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 72
Last post by: TheRealShadowX on 10-06-2011 05:48 AM
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2011 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Yes, I have seen South Park, and I enjoyed the show, but I expect that from them, not Ben & Jerry's.

/agree. South Park is time slotted for what, 9:00 PM or later? There is a reason for that. It is low-brow, stupid and childish but that's what it is made to be. BTW, I really like South Park.

I agree with jask that the product name is in poor taste. However I really don't care as like him, I don't really buy B&J Icercream. It's also nice to say "well B&J Icecream is marketed to adults!"... It is in the icecream aisle with the rest of the icecream your kids are searching through for what they want for desert. However, again, there are other icecreams that can illicit sexual inuendos... Big Stick for example? Choco-Taco?... Fat Boy? While not as obvious as Shweddy Balls, the potential is there. OTOH, I really don't want one of my 3 daughters looking at Daddy in the store asking if they can have Shweddy Balls. /shrug, I guess next we will have a new B&J flavor called something like "Aunt Flo" Sweet Cream icecream with a Cinnimon Syrup swirl and little balls of Cotton Candy... Really, where does the line get drawn?
IP: Logged
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Maybe they should make another flavor called "One Million Moos"
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2011 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
More great lines from that skit

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-01-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Same here... how about you respect that there are people who don't want to see this? We have decency laws, are you against these also? I tolerate a lot of things. But it is sure funny how when someone doesn't agree with a few people here, their opinion is not given any respect. Why do you think I am up tight? You don't know me from anyone else in cyberspace. As for the product name, it is not related to the taste. If they change the name, you still get the same product. You still have a choice, nothing has changed.

If you don't want to be offended, you don't have to look at the label nor buy the product. That's the way y'all expect this forum to run, why want something different in the freezer section at your local grocery store?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I guess one thing that I wonder about is how many little kids looking up there at the flavor menu said mommy what is that flavor? Wonder what mom said. If mom didn't like having to explain that to her 7 year old for example, or lie... I think she has the right to object. Objecting is her opinion.
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

If you don't want to be offended, you don't have to look at the label nor buy the product. That's the way y'all expect this forum to run, why want something different in the freezer section at your local grocery store?

Good point.
Just don't click on it.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 10-03-2011).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I guess one thing that I wonder about is how many little kids looking up there at the flavor menu said mommy what is that flavor? Wonder what mom said. If mom didn't like having to explain that to her 7 year old for example, or lie... I think she has the right to object. Objecting is her opinion.

If she doesn't like it, she can leave.
KidO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KidOSend a Private Message to KidODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Personally, I would defer to the girl behind the counter... "Excuse me miss, can you tell me what 'Schweddy Balls' taste like?"

The other day, I was at our local Ben & Jerry's to get a scoop of Cherry Garcia. In line in front of me was a family also ordering cones. As each cone was dipped, the father would hand the cones to the eldest daughter to hold. I guess she was curious about the taste of 'Schweddy Balls', because when she was handed that cone she immediately began to get a taste. It must have been dad's cone that she was licking, because immediately, her father blurted out 'Hey, stop licking my Schweddy Balls'!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

If she doesn't like it, she can leave.

Make like a tree?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I agree, its stupid. People need to really get a life. On a list of priorities of things that need done, this would rank like #10.500 on the list.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I certainly fall for & love gimmick names. fear not - they dont last. after all, how long can anyone enjoy Schweddy Balls?

so - how about some complaints about the spelling? do you say the "w" as a "w" or "v"? but, at least it AINT ebonics tho, eh?
or perhaps make the "s" a "z", as in BALLZ. or maybe BAWLZ.

is anyone up to hanging some Schweddy Balls from their Pickup Truck? may as well get a 2 for 1 is class

which side are you on in the class war? a guarantee it is the wrong side.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if Jewish people feel offended..............the name just sounds Jewish the way its spelled, lol. Do Jewish like ice cream.....
KidO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KidOSend a Private Message to KidODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I wonder if Jewish people feel offended..............the name just sounds Jewish the way its spelled, lol. Do Jewish like ice cream.....

Of course they do...

Shalom
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

I think they are still giggling from "chutzpah".......
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Was in WalMart and decided to try the flavor in question. They didn't have any, but I did see three other offensive flavor names:

Karamel Sutra, blatantly sexual in nature
Chubby Hubby ("Chubby" is slang for an erection)
What a Cluster, referring to cluster-f**k obviously

I'm thinking it's time to close these people down, they're unraveling the fabric of morality that this country was built upon...
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Maybe the ice cream will be as successful as the Pink Taco restaurant chain.
Ang84Indy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyDirect Link to This Post
I tried some of this ice cream yesterday. I can say that I really like it. I hope that Ben & Jerry's continues to sell Schweddy Balls ice cream. Perhaps a name change may be needed, but as long as the recipe remains the same, I won't care. So... I'll continue to buy Schweddy Balls as long as supplies last!
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I "experimented" with "trying" Schweddy Balls a few times now. I love the rum balls especially.

I hope it's a flavor that stays around.

I could care less about the name. It's a freaking name. It does taste really good. (to me)

Brad
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
The funniest part of all this is that people are bitching about B&J using a vulgar name for an ice cream flavor, people are bashing a group of moms for using their right of free speech and calling for a boycott, while others are telling evryone else they should lighten up. It's a three ring circus all fighting for center ring. LMAO.

This is not about free speech, it's not about free enterprise, what it boils down to is that B&J are using controversial material to sell Ice Cream. Sad that they have to resort to that kind of marketing to a product that is not exclusive to adults only. It's not like they are marketing tobacco products or alcohol, there is no minimum age for Ice Cream. Explaining that to pre teen kids is an uncomfortable situation, for that reason I wouldn't take my kid to where it would be sold. B&J has the right to do as they see fit in there marketing, evidently they figure that their comedy will sell more than they will lose in customers.

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited 10-04-2011).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

I will be offended if I find their product in the freezer with the rest of my selection. I am not shopping for their product, but if it is near the items I normally look for, then yes, I will be offended. What's next, you would like to see the adult video selection mixed with the rest of the videos at the video rental store? What is wrong with that? It is funny or clever, right? Lighten up, right? I am sure you could find a title with the same name as the ice cream flavor.

A product name can be funny, in a clever way, and this isn't one of them.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2011 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

I will be offended if I find their product in the freezer with the rest of my selection. I am not shopping for their product, but if it is near the items I normally look for, then yes, I will be offended. What's next, you would like to see the adult video selection mixed with the rest of the videos at the video rental store? What is wrong with that? It is funny or clever, right? Lighten up, right? I am sure you could find a title with the same name as the ice cream flavor.

A product name can be funny, in a clever way, and this isn't one of them.

Ah, the old slippery slope canard. That one never gets old...

Edit to add:

I've been in plenty of movie rental stores, and I have yet to see any "adult" films, segregated or mixed in with general stock. Maybe that's because I don't go to adult video stores, all of which that I've seen on the roadside seem to be clearly labeled as such.

This society is more stuck up than it was 30, 40 years ago; if anything, I'd say we're going the wrong way on the "slippery slope".

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 10-04-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Ah, the old slippery slope canard. That one never gets old...

Hmm, history seems to repeat itself. How in the heck do you think "schweddy balls" got on the shelf? Every day, someone is pushing the envelope and where will it end? When will YOU say, "enough is enough"? Or is anything OK, as long as it is "funny"?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Adult videos and alcohol are already segregated in stores....because you have to be a certain age. I havent seen ice cream for over 21 only buyers. If I saw it in the ice cream freezer section of the store, I prob wouldnt even notice it and it I did Id crack a smile. Should they remove crackers from shelves because us certain folk might be offended. sheeesh, people get over it.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Adult videos and alcohol are already segregated in stores....because you have to be a certain age. I havent seen ice cream for over 21 only buyers. If I saw it in the ice cream freezer section of the store, I prob wouldnt even notice it and it I did Id crack a smile. Should they remove crackers from shelves because us certain folk might be offended. sheeesh, people get over it.

only if they call them Scheweddy Balls crackers, or some other stupid name, like that.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe 1320:

The funniest part of all this is that people are bitching about B&J using a vulgar name for an ice cream flavor, people are bashing a group of moms for using their right of free speech and calling for a boycott, while others are telling evryone else they should lighten up. It's a three ring circus

Yeah, "lighten up" is often used. Lighten up applies to both sides I think. Its just a group saying if you don't like the idea of this flavor boycott it. The other group is as mentioned, going out any buying it. While B&J is enjoying the press. Yes lighten up.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Im going to make cookies that have both the sides folded over and meeting in the center with a cherry filling and sell them as Cherry Vagina's......lol
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Im going to make cookies that have both the sides folded over and meeting in the center with a cherry filling and sell them as Cherry Vagina's......lol

Call them "snatch a cherry" and I think it would be under the radar just enough for marketing. Dont be completely blatant and technical.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Call them "snatch a cherry" and I think it would be under the radar just enough for marketing. Dont be completely blatant and technical.

"First Time"? Now that is funny and doesn't even need to be explained, as young ones wouldn't have a clue.

KidO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KidOSend a Private Message to KidODirect Link to This Post

According to the Urban Dictionary, cookie can be used as a slang term for a women's genatalia. If people want to ban Schweddy Balls ice-cream we should ban all cookies too, just so there is no chance that a kid is confused! Those moms should be protesting the Girl Scouts out there selling their cookies!
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't doubt every word in the urban dictionary can be exchanged for drugs or sex. Although I do think we should ban Vanilla Ice...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KidO:

According to the Urban Dictionary, cookie can be used as a slang term for a women's genatalia.

That must just be for "urban" folk.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-05-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
I think this comercial is a lot worse then the B&J ice cream
http://youtu.be/RlzPJZBv9wk

[This message has been edited by Tstang429 (edited 10-06-2011).]

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post
Why? Seemed fairly sedate. Apart from the "What the fudge" part. I dunno, these things don't bother me.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock