Started on: 08-18-2011 04:47 AM
Replies: 27
Last post by: tbone42 on 08-19-2011 01:31 AM
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Are there going to be any other Fieros at Black Rock City this year? (besides mine)

Or anyone from here going?

And before you ask what it is
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/

Burning Man is a temporary city in the stark Nevada desert, created for one week around Labor Day, whose 50,000 denizens are devoted to creativity -- in art, technology, music and personal expression. Almost all comers are participants, exploring their creative selves. The coin is art; you are appreciated for what you give and what you show off.

The city is built quickly and thrives for a week. At the climax is the burning of a giant stylized figure known as "the Man" which becomes the city's prime universal experience. Shortly thereafter, all is gone, and months later it's not even possible to determine where the city was, until it is rebuilt the next year.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Ive never been there, but I wouldnt mind attending a total Boobfest.
Ah yes,drunken women pranceing around nude.
8-P

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8-PSend a Private Message to 8-PDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

:-/ Going to Burning Man for the boobs is like going to the Superbowl for the beer.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Ah, good ole' hippie tent city

Sounds fun
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8-P:

:-/ Going to Burning Man for the boobs is like going to the Superbowl for the beer.

Whats your point?
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Never been there, but since the influx of meathead date-rapers has been happening for the last several years, I dont want to go either. I thought they would be content with going to Dave Matthews shows, but alas... people should keep their mouth shut about special events (not you Sardonyx, well before now..) otherwise they stop being special.

The spirit of burning man died a decade ago.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

its too hot for me to go there, even for that.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
We used to live in Sparks, by the Pyramid Highway and close to the last grocery store on the route to the Burning Man site. Sights at that store and it’s parking lot were unbelievable. I'm now convinced that there is no hope for the human race.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

I agree 100%

Brad
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Never been there, but since the influx of meathead date-rapers has been happening for the last several years, I dont want to go either. I thought they would be content with going to Dave Matthews shows, but alas... people should keep their mouth shut about special events (not you Sardonyx, well before now..) otherwise they stop being special.

Thats a strong opion for saying "you have never been"
And BTW opions like that show that you have never been, it is nothing like that at all. date-rapers, really? wow.

Originally posted by Nurb432:

its too hot for me to go there, even for that.

I am in Vegas in the 110+ deg range, so the 90-95 deg, for the hottest it can get, is like A/C to me now.

Originally posted by spark1:

We used to live in Sparks, by the Pyramid Highway and close to the last grocery store on the route to the Burning Man site. Sights at that store and it’s parking lot were unbelievable. I'm now convinced that there is no hope for the human race.

Before I went to Burning Man I lost hope for the human race. After going I see there is hope yet.
I have never seen so many people willing and wanting to help each other out, for no profit at all. I have never seen anything like it anywhere else.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 08-18-2011).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
I have a friend who stopped going 3 years ago because of said statement. I dont have to be to the moon to know there is no air there, the astronauts tell me. My friend (who is a woman) told me on two seperate occasions meatheads who were there "for the boobs" so to speak tried to sexually assault her. Thats good enough for me not to want to go. Glad you dont see it that way, but she sure did.

I feel the same way about Rainbow, the spirit of it died long ago with the influx of those who are there just for drugs or hot girls that are half-clothed.

By the way Sardonyx, did you have to neg me for that? I never said anything personal about you. Correct me if I am wrong.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-18-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
NO, I would never neg you for something like that. I would never neg or plus in OT anyway. So it wasn't me
The rating system is for the forum. not if you like someone or not.
I like opinions.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

NO, I would never neg you for something like that. I would never neg or plus in OT anyway. So it wasn't me
The rating system is for the forum. not if you like someone or not.
I like opinions.

Thanks. I was hoping you had not.

Burning Man, the idea, REALLY appeals to my inner-hippie. It was something I always wanted to go to, for reasons like you stated. You can only hear so many stories about others' bad experiences before you change your mind though. Same goes for Bonaroo, Rainbow Gathering, etc.. all I hear are bad reports coming from these places that I always wanted to go to because of GOOD reports I heard earlier.

I have a friend who is a concert promoter, and his show was the darling of the festival scene in Ohio two years ago, and now unfortunately, it has quickly turned from a kind thing to a drug binge thug fest. It just makes you want to cry.

Still, that "feeling" of hope for fellow man, I still quest for it. Cooperation, respect, kindness.. its something I would like to see a lot more of. I know what it is that you desire from these events, it can still be achieved, but unfortunately, can also easily be destroyed by a bad element coming for all the wrong reasons. I try to take what I have gained from these events and "pass it on" whenever I can in real life.
Help someone change that tire, give advice to someone who really needs and wants it, compassion for those who are having a hard time.. even keep someone who is too spaced out from getting in real trouble with the law by standing around them and protecting them.

Its a human thing we seek.. I just seek it nowadays around smaller crowds with less chance of hassle.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-18-2011).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
There are good and bad people everywhere you go, But for the most part people there are great.

Rainbow gatherings are hippie gatherings.

Burning Man is not that.

Hippies mouch

Burners give

No offence

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
The first days there are smaller.
Then the city grows during the week, and everyone helps make it grow and thrive.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
None taken.
I have personally gotten up and played chef for a hundred at some festivals I have been to. If they have money to donate, then put it in the jar. But if you are hungry, grab a pancake and some eggs and regain the energy you need. We're there for others whenever we can be.
8-P

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8-PSend a Private Message to 8-PDirect Link to This Post

Burning Man, the idea, REALLY appeals to my inner-hippie. It was something I always wanted to go to, for reasons like you stated. You can only hear so many stories about others' bad experiences before you change your mind though. Same goes for Bonaroo, Rainbow Gathering, etc.. all I hear are bad reports coming from these places that I always wanted to go to because of GOOD reports I heard earlier.

I have a friend who is a concert promoter, and his show was the darling of the festival scene in Ohio two years ago, and now unfortunately, it has quickly turned from a kind thing to a drug binge thug fest. It just makes you want to cry.

Still, that "feeling" of hope for fellow man, I still quest for it. Cooperation, respect, kindness.. its something I would like to see a lot more of. I know what it is that you desire from these events, it can still be achieved, but unfortunately, can also easily be destroyed by a bad element coming for all the wrong reasons. I try to take what I have gained from these events and "pass it on" whenever I can in real life.
Help someone change that tire, give advice to someone who really needs and wants it, compassion for those who are having a hard time.. even keep someone who is too spaced out from getting in real trouble with the law by standing around them and protecting them.

Its a human thing we seek.. I just seek it nowadays around smaller crowds with less chance of hassle.

I can confirm that the 'Roo has suffered that fate. A few years back it was a magical gathering of awesome people. This June it seemed like it was 100K kids just looking to get trashed.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8-P:
I can confirm that the 'Roo has suffered that fate. A few years back it was a magical gathering of awesome people. This June it seemed like it was 100K kids just looking to get trashed.

Yup, same thing with Hookahville.. used to be the highlight of my year... but two year we had irresponsible children too messed up for their own good try to set our tent on fire by lighting a campfire RIGHT NEXT TO IT.. and a Naked girl (no joke) stumbled into our pavillion tent and knocked it over and broke it.

Another year we had a girl who was majorly messed up shaking us awake at 5 in the morning in our tent. She just unzipped it and walked on in. I was getting shaken while she was saying "Jimmy! Jimmy!" and I was like "There aint no James in this tent, man...". And there was some thugs selling pharmies walking around with a ghetto blaster at 5 am blasting NWA at high volumes.

Anyhow, that was THE LAST onsight camping I will ever do at a festival ever again.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Here are some pics from last year.

Here is a trailer we built to be towed behind a go-ped.

It has a Fiero seat with working speakers in the seat, 6x9s, an EQ, 250 watts, wraped in EL wire that beat to the music.
and a cooler full of ice cold beer to hand out. (not seen in pic)

Some cup cake art cars

Skydivers

This thing was so cool, it had logs on fire in it that you could spin and shower sparks.

Drumers on the playa

The man on fire

The temple on fire

A fire twister

Fire can do such awesome things

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Burning Man is a "Leave no trace" event.

Most of the low lifes won't fork over the $300 to get a ticket, and the other cash needed to bring what you need to survive.
and since you can not sell anything there. no vendors. etc...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

I kind of agree with you. I don't really know what the goal of it was originally... maybe perhaps just a bunch of people letting their minds loose. Sort of in the same vein as Woodstock '69... but never the less, it's become a haven for spychopaths and vagrant criminals who go there specifically to prey on all the stoned people... in particular the young girls who go there looking for an interesting experience.

I've got a few friends who have been there. One guy who's gone 4 times, and says it gets worse every year... like... you really have to be careful. In some places, it's like your on your own... they immediately know where the bad-areas are, and where the safe areas are... you just have to hope that where you set up doesn't end up being the bad area.

EDIT: But I've never been there, so I don't know personally. But I AM sure that it's not a place I'd take my daughter to. heh...

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 08-18-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Not sure if you've ever been, but if this is the case, don't ever go to All Good in WV PM me and I'll explain why I say this, if you'd like.

Another one I've heard of that is pretty bad anymore is in Ohio, something heights(?) I believe?

Edit: nm, its Nelson Ledges. I've a few friends that used to go there every year up until recently. It turned into a haven for the thug types and undercover cops running sting ops there...

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 08-18-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Not sure if you've ever been, but if this is the case, don't ever go to All Good in WV PM me and I'll explain why I say this, if you'd like.

Another one I've heard of that is pretty bad anymore is in Ohio, something heights(?) I believe?

I think it's probably also different if you're younger. When I was ~19-20... I totally would have gone to something like this if I could have gotten at least one other friend to go with me.

But in my early 30s now... I can't think of anything I would feel more out-of-place at.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Don't get me wrong Todd, I'd love to go to Burning Man...And I was (key word here) excited to go to All Good. But I won't ever be going back to it again, after what I went through and what I am still going through from that experience...its not the fest itself, its everything else. The fest itself was great, 40+ bands and 4 days of camping on a remote mountain top...lets just say though that the locals aren't too fest friendly though (to put it nicely). If they ever move it out of WV (which I overheard talk of it at the fest this year), then I'd definitely go back. But for a first festival, the experience I had? Not likely to anytime soon
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
The two small towns closest to Black Rock City always seem happy to see us coming through. Burning Man donates tons of money to the two towns and the towns along the way. They have built a massive solar grid for the local indian res closest to there. and all through out nevada. alot of the art at Burning Man gets donated to musuims around the country. It is not a destructive thing like so many events that get compared to Burning Man.

for example in the most recent email

Burning Man Car Wash has changed location, it will be located in the school parking lot circle drive. This will be held on Sunday, Sept 4th and Monday, Sept 5th. There will be signs posted throughout the community directing you to the new location. The proceeds will go to the following Gerlach Organizations: Gerlach Volunteer Fire Department, Gerlach Senior Citizens, VFW Ladies Auxiliary and Field Trips for the School. Please come support the local organizations.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

If you think that was a freak show, have you ever gone to walmart on a normal day? now thats a freak show.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

If you think that was a freak show, have you ever gone to walmart on a normal day? now thats a freak show.

Some attendees may belong to both groups I suppose but I’ve never seen a man wearing women’s bikini panties and nothing else in Wal*Mart. And I don’t understand how gluing plastic bottles to a car makes it a work of art. Maybe if I were younger.............

Anyhow, go and have a blast! They must be doing something worthwhile to be able to charge $300 for admission and sell out way in advance.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

I’ve never seen a man wearing women’s bikini panties and nothing else in Wal*Mart.

At least he had frank and beans covered. I have seen some photos on "people of walmart" that make me cringe probably just as much as that would. IN FACT, I was just at the lake today and I saw WAY TOO MUCH of a big gorilla man, only wearing shorts, and they were falling off while he bent over to pick up his flip flops.

WAY TOO MUCH. Yugh... it can happen anywhere.. on purpose, or on accident, things that have been seen, cannot be unseen (unfortunately).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock