Started on: 07-22-2011 05:39 PM
Replies: 48
Last post by: Old Lar on 08-14-2011 09:59 AM
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Nick, prayers for your family and your best friend.

Edit: Wrong smiley.

[This message has been edited by Hulki U. My-BFF (edited 08-01-2011).]

IP: Logged
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2011 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that, Andy

Here he is, back to normal, but about 6 lbs lighter..much better He was getting too fat

Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 08-07-2011).]

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2011 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Isn't it ironic getting sick sometimes is better for your health?
Glad he's doing good!
Tytehead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2011 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TyteheadSend a Private Message to TyteheadDirect Link to This Post
Nick, that ruly is a beautiful dog. I am very glad he is doing well. I mean it is like he is PFF's unofficial mascot.
Shyster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShysterClick Here to visit Shyster's HomePageSend a Private Message to ShysterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
I told him that, if he doesn't get better QUICKLY, it will be a shampoo every day for a week
Nick

Nick, I'm very glad he's doing better. But I do hope you wouldn't truly try this. Washing a dog too often can attack vital oils in their skins, leading to more itching (not to mention a foul smell.) Find a coal tar based shampoo (I know, it sounds ugly, but it works.) (Just don't use it every day!)

What bothers me most is that you have a tick problem, and you do not seem to be directly addressing it. Better life through chemistry. Diazinon used to be our cure, here. Whatever you use, use it as sparingly as possible, but do whatever you have must to kill the ticks, and the fleas. Treat your house, your garden, and whatever reasonable perimeter you can muster. And keep Zwerver out of tall grass (and other areas prone to ticks and fleas.)

I know, he's a dog. He likes to go places. You, the human, have to make a choice for both yourself, and your friend. Do you want him to be happy right now, or do you want him to live a (much) longer and happy life?

Last I could tell, you don't have carpet, but if you have any carpeted areas, work boric acid powder into the carpet with a broom.

The symptoms you most recently described are those of a flea (or tick?) allergy, as much as a re-manifestation of his earlier troubles. I'm glad your vet sold you something that addressed the worst of his symptoms, but addressing the symptoms is not the same thing as addressing the cause.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Tytehead... He is very handsome, isn't he?? (Doting parent ) I know many here think of him as PFF's resident pooch

Perry, thanks for that..I'm ashamed to say I missed it until now.
The problem with ticks and fleas is addressed all the time, using the potent Scalibur collar, and also the pipette system to administer drops on his skin behind his ears. The ticks and fleas simply die or drop off. Unfortunately, the female dog which keeps escaping and flaunting herself at Zwerver has a flea collar, but I guess it is a year or more old. Just a few minutes ago, she as outside again, and I stroked her and talked to her. I have very sensitive fingers, and noticed immediately that she is infested with fleas, and several large ticks under her fur.
Of course, the ticks and fleas will jump from one to the other when they are 'embracing' for want of a better word, and although the collar doesn't make them drop off imediately, they do as soon as they try to bite.
No, Zwerver NEVER gets a bath or shower, except when he has rolled in something particularly unpleasant ( the immigrant builders around here just go and dump in the grass ), and then he gets a short sharp blast from the garden hose
I don't believe in shampoos etc, for the very reason you said: the skin and fur has NATURAL oils/defences against many things, and shampoos just remove them.
The vet did take some scrapings fronm the rashes etc, and phoned me to say it was the cutaneous leishmania coming back mildly. This is typical of the disease, and is stimulated by the hot and humid weather. However the medication cut it short in its tracks, and he is fine now. Sadly, it WILL kill him one day, it is that pernicious, and untreatable. Looked after carefully, many dogs carrying the virus can live a long and happy life whilst carrying the disease. Zwerver is doing great, and we intend to ensure he will continue to do so

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 08-13-2011).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
So she is back again I just can't be cruel to her, but something has to give!! Town Hall tomorrow, and a very loud complaint

Nick
Shyster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShysterClick Here to visit Shyster's HomePageSend a Private Message to ShysterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
The problem with ticks and fleas is addressed all the time, using the potent Scalibur collar, and also the pipette system to administer drops on his skin behind his ears. The ticks and fleas simply die or drop off.

Funny how much what you do is a product of the environment you live in. Other than fleas and ticks, our major concern here is mosquito transmitted heartworms. (Well, OK, that, and the more rare but sometimes really expensive poisonous snake.) ( ) So we have these neat monthly pills that protect them, not only from heartworms, but combine with a cute little drug that renders the fleas sterile if they bite. Go for direct kill all you want, we're wiping out future generations.

I do napalm the yard periodically, as the deer and the squirrels (and the raccoons and most probably even the armadillos) keep trying to bring us new friends.

Glad Zwerver's doing well. Cinnamon Sunshine and Shadow send their regards.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shyster:

Cinnamon Sunshine and Shadow send their regards.

Two smiling happy dogs Nice photo!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock