Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Texas joins the past, yet again... (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Texas joins the past, yet again... by JazzMan
Started on: 06-27-2011 01:58 PM
Replies: 105
Last post by: Shyster on 07-13-2011 12:14 AM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2011 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Governor Perry, in all his wisdom, vetoes a bill that would have made texting while driving a ticketable offense, a class C misdemeanor like speeding and running stop signs.

http://www.dallasnews.com/n...ng-while-driving.ece

"Perry said the keys to discouraging the practice are information and education through public service ads and driver education courses."

Yep, some billboards and TV ads will stop all those text drivers from injuring and killing folks on the roads down here...

BTW, it's not illegal to tailgate down here either. Yep, look it up. There's nothing in the law that defines what tailgating is, and the only offense listed is failure to maintain safe following distance, an offense that can only be ticketed after the wreck happens.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Its illegal up here, but I still see about 40% of drivers doing it.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the key is to make it some kind of ticket-able offense, but rather, make it so that if they cause an accident while doing it, they go to jail, regardless of how minor.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Last check, we are getting dangerously low on laws.
10 million just ain't enough for government to completely rule our existence.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
That rat bastard, he isn't doing enough to protect us from ourselves!
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2011 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I don´t like the morals of this idea...but it makes sense to me.If people abuse something...make it too expensive to abuse it. $10 a text to ANY number. Unfair? Who cares We lived every day of our lives without ´texting´until recently. We still could.
It would be anti-profitable to phone companies, I am sure, but I am willing to bet it would be very simple to prevent cellphones from sending texts whilst in motion, or even prevent the cellphone keyboard from accepting text entries whilst in motion.
Also, make the cellphone unusable for ordinary calls other than to emergency numbers, whilst in motion. If they can make a phone which can sense when it is turned on its side and rotate the picture, I bet the same technology could render the phone unusable whilst moving- Then they would HAVE to stop to call/text..and if they can´t be bothered to stop...then the call/text must be pretty unimportant anyway!!
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 06-27-2011).]

Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
If it were up to me, using a phone at all while driving would be a ticket-able offense. If someone causes an accident and phone records prove that a phone was in use/ involved - One year mandatory license suspension. Accident was fatal? Ride the bus for life, better luck next time. No questions asked, no plea bargaining.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. You can't 'infringe' on a privilege with laws because it's not guaranteed. In my opinion stricter driving tests and harsher penalties is one of the few things Europe does better than we do. People need to stop endangering the rest of us (especially those of us who ride) while they are supposed to be driving.

~ Derek

[This message has been edited by Derek_85GT (edited 06-27-2011).]

dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
I'm kinda unsure about a law about texting. It's virtually impossible to enforce. At the same time, texting while driving DOES cause accidents, which, unlike seatbelt laws, DO affect other people at times, so it may be a legitimate law to protect people (but then there's that enforcement problem).

I'd suggest that perhaps instead of trying to pass a law that is unenforceable, that when an accident is caused that can be traced back to texting, then make it a major fine and jail time. A REAL deterrent. And no excuses.

-Darryl

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
How many people that text and drive now, would up and stop because is illegal?

If they don't have the brains to realize how dangerous it is, do you really think they really care if it's illegal?
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
Yep, some billboards and TV ads will stop all those text drivers from injuring and killing folks on the roads down here...

Yeah, because making it a ticketable offense would immediately stop all those same drivers from doing it

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
This problem won't exsist in the VERY near future.
As soon as each driver starts their car they will be logged in to a system that syncs up with your other electronics or implants and knows a BUNCH of stuff about you including that you cannot be diving and texting at the same time.

Won't NEED no drunk driving laws, no texting laws, no parking laws, no transportation laws of any kind.............your car just will not allow you to do anything wrong.
And then there will be those that will call foul on that, too.

Why doesn't every car have a breathalizer?
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
It is the same thing when the cops check their computer in their car. So the cops would have to give themself a ticket as well. Couldn't have that

It IS illegal and ticket offence to text in a school zone in Austin. $250 fine.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Good for the governor.

The California Legislature passed a anti-texting and anti-cell phone use law two years ago despite the fact that there was already a law against distracted driving. The result has been a revenue enhancement (tax increase) with NO change in the accident rate. The legislature said that the fine would only be $25 for the first ticket, $50 for the second and steadily increasing from there. Thanks to all the fees associated with getting the ticket, drivers are seeing at least $150 for the first ticket and upwards of $500 for the third and on. This was just another money grab by the politicians that love to spend everyone else's money. And they are trying to increase the fine even more.

IIHS Research on the subject

Be thankful that your state isn't going after your wallet like mine does.

------------------
The bread crumbs eventually end somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 06-27-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Governor Perry, in all his wisdom, vetoes a bill that would have made texting while driving a ticketable offense, a class C misdemeanor like speeding and running stop signs.

http://www.dallasnews.com/n...ng-while-driving.ece

"Perry said the keys to discouraging the practice are information and education through public service ads and driver education courses."

BTW, it's not illegal to tailgate down here either. Yep, look it up. There's nothing in the law that defines what tailgating is, and the only offense listed is failure to maintain safe following distance, an offense that can only be ticketed after the wreck happens.

Sounds awesome to me, the texting laws are just useless unenforceable laws anyway.

I'm all for anyone in the Government that is for less Government intrusion.

Brad
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Texting while driving did this...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guess who was texting?
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

Yeah, because making it a ticketable offense would immediately stop all those same drivers from doing it

Using that logic, lets eliminate all traffic laws. Let's see how that works out...
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how many people will be killed reading the damn billboards!
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
If anyone bothered to read the article I linked to, the bill was carried by a Republican legislator who was inspired to create it after a particularly nasty fatality accident in his district.

What a law that prohibits texti-driving does is to stigmatize it. Sure, some will ignore the law, like they ignore many other laws, but on the whole most people are socially conscious and responsible enough to obey the law. Among the population of law-abiding citizens text-driving would be reduced, and that reduction would be welcome.

As it stands, if a cop sees someone text-driving but not weaving out of their lane or doing other chargeable offenses there's nothing he can do.

The law is (or would have been) about safety, simple as that.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Everytime I see a picture like the one above, I think it`s a good thing there wasn`t someone on a bike in that mess.
I think Perry is wrong.
He says he won`t regulate "adults" behavior, but what about the countless idiots who can`t drive when they are paying full attention, much less texting.
If the government is not going to try to protect me when some fool is coming up from behind me without even paying attention because of texting, who is?
Maybe they should make it legal, if someone rear ends you while texting, to get out of your car if you are still able, and execute them.
I don`t really mean that last part, but that`s how I feel sometimes when I see pictures like the one above.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
In Illinois, it's illegal to drive with a cellphone in your hand, much less texting while doing so. That explains why some many drivers in the state look like extras from a Star Trek photo shoot.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

If anyone bothered to read the article I linked to, the bill was carried by a Republican legislator.

A man who has no problem vetoing something from his own party if he thinks it is wrong for the people.
Sounds like he is presidential material.
President Rick Perry!
Has a nice sound!

PFF
System Bot
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
I was driving to the store with my wife when she pointed to the car to our right, where a young teenage girl was texting while driving. I edged away fro mher and laid on my horn. She looked up at us and my wife pointed at her phone. She gave us a dirty look and resumed texting, so I honked at her again, which made her stop (at least until we were out of her view.) She was looking down at her lap while she was texting, and was driving on Parmer Lane, which has a speed limit of 60 mph with stoplights (Texas loves high speed roads). If she hit someone doing 60 without realizing it she'd end someone's like so she can say "k lolz".

I agree that other activities distract drivers, but most of them don't require staring at a tiny screen at lap level for ten seconds at a time. I don't even like to use my cell phone in the car, but I can't imagine driving while texting. (I can't even walk while texting.)

I can see why Perry vetoed it....I guess.... but I personally would not have vetoed it.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I see why he vetoed it too. He's possibly going to throw his hat in the ring for a run at the white house, and it would be difficult to run as a "smaller govt" candidate if he signed another govt-intrusion-into-your-life type bill.
Personally, I've stated several times, that I don't much care for him for a variety of reasons, and probably would not vote for him, but I would support this anti texting law--unless it is just a revenue gathering tool in disquise like the redlight cameras are.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Why doesn't every car have a breathalizer?

Because some of us are nondrinkers.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

As it stands, if a cop sees someone text-driving but not weaving out of their lane or doing other chargeable offenses there's nothing he can do.

Because they are not then being dangerous? I mean, I'm the first one that thinks everyone should be suspect, and we should all get at least a daily cavity search because hey, we may be hiding something.....Wait. nope. I could care less what people are doing in their cars if they are not being a danger to others, if we use your example the person is not being a danger. HELLO, EARTH CALLING!!!

Today I had a girl wander into my lane, she was putting on lipstick. I honked, and she went back to her lane, we happened to pull up to a light next to her, and she was still doing her makeup, I rolled down my window, and proceeded to tell her what I thought of her driving, and that she should avoid putting on makeup when driving before she kills someone, I got the eye roll and the "Whatever" from her. There has not been a petition to outlaw women drivers yet, but I would be all for that.

Brad
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Did you--while you had her undivided attention-- happen to inquire of her biscuit making skills?
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

How many people that text and drive now, would up and stop because is illegal?

If they don't have the brains to realize how dangerous it is, do you really think they really care if it's illegal?

No, it won't stop people at all. Just like restrictive gun laws don't stop criminals/crime/gun crime/etc.

However, if you read my post, my proposed penalties for phone use and driving involved long term loss of licenses, not just a fine. So yeah, they will do it, until they cause an accident and have their license suspended or revoked for good. Then, if they are dumb enough to keep driving there will be some jail time involved. I'm not looking at it for the revenue, I'm looking at it to remove people from the roads.

After I posted earlier I rode through town to get some groceries and had some Jersey doucher almost run me over...because he was on his phone. I had some choice words for him at the stoplight after our close encounter. He just kept on with it, what a ****ing piece of **** .

~ Derek
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2011 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

There has not been a petition to outlaw women drivers yet, but I would be all for that.

Brad

Well, I once ran off the road while getting a.......well, lets just say I was spared seeking medical attention for maybe the most embarassing of all injuries one can get.
So I would be FOR outlawing women drivers, AGAINST passinger side seatbelts, and ECSTATIC for autopilot.

Shyster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShysterClick Here to visit Shyster's HomePageSend a Private Message to ShysterDirect Link to This Post
Funny. There are already laws against "reckless driving." Enforce them. Then get a life.

All but the most power-happy among us do not see the need to regulate every possible aspect of our existence.

I'm sure I'm not the only one of those of us who fly (I'm not the only one, here) who regard this whole debate with a certain amount of amusement. We are not only expected, we are required to operate our vehicles in three dimensions (not two) while talking on the telephone (radio), and while maintaining a mental picture of other communications to find other traffic. Most all of us have had it pounded into our heads in the early stages to "never drop the airplane to fly the mike."

So maybe better driver training is the answer.
But more laws? We have more than enough laws to regulate human existence.

Utopia is not an option.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Did you--while you had her undivided attention-- happen to inquire of her biscuit making skills?

Judging by the new Lincoln she was driving, and the fact that she couldn't have been over 30, I'd hazard a guess that she made some dang good biscuits.

She looked like she could make some dang good biscuits too. Good thing she wouldn't have to control large objects to make you biscuits Don, that would be a mess!

Brad
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2011 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dsnover:

I'm kinda unsure about a law about texting. It's virtually impossible to enforce. At the same time, texting while driving DOES cause accidents, which, unlike seatbelt laws, DO affect other people at times, so it may be a legitimate law to protect people (but then there's that enforcement problem).

I'd suggest that perhaps instead of trying to pass a law that is unenforceable, that when an accident is caused that can be traced back to texting, then make it a major fine and jail time. A REAL deterrent. And no excuses.

-Darryl

ACYUALLY....free use of the roads is a RIGHT that goes back to the Magna Carta .....

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
texting while driving is covered under distracted driving. Enforce the law, that is all they have to do. Texting is illegal here in MI (I believe), but you can still text when the vehicle is not in motion (stop lights). Stupid and I see people texting all the time while driving and stopped. I also see people with dogs on their lap, eating and hanging on to the cell phone, playing with the radio, talking to someone in the car... etc... All distracted driving and all should be pulled over. BUT then I see cops doing the same things.... sigh.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Shyster, you do have a point.
I have thought for many years that it is too easy to obtain a drivers license.
I mean, you have to be trained to operate heavy machinery or drive a big-rig why should you just be able to operate a 5000 lb battering ram while driving straight to get a license.
Make people have to drive an obstacle course where you have to pull a car out of a skid and avoid things coming at you from different angles.
Of course, then we would have to depend too much on public transportation.
Oh well.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Honestly, I'm a believer that we need fewer laws, rather than more laws. I believe the more laws, regulation, and management of the population we create, the less reliant we become on ourselves. We shouldn't want to create a dependant nation.

I would bet that radio controls, and HVAC controls have caused just as many, if not significantly more accidents than texting.

Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

ACYUALLY....free use of the roads is a RIGHT that goes back to the Magna Carta .....

And people can walk or roll a horse and buggy while they text all day long. That is free use of the road per 13th Century rights.

Hurdling two tons of steel down the road at 50 mph while you "LOL! He didn't say that OMG!" into my truck or motorcycle is not a right.

And really what I'm arguing here is we need much tougher penalties for traffic violations, not necessarily more laws. DUI laws in this country are a joke, they are enforced with a slap on the wrist when it should be a punch to the side of the head. Personally, if someone kills someone drunk behind the wheel of a car, aside from criminal charges, they should NEVER be eligible for a driver's license again. That's not a new law, just a harsher penalty on an old law.

~ Derek

[This message has been edited by Derek_85GT (edited 06-28-2011).]

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Derek_85GT:

No, it won't stop people at all. Just like restrictive gun laws don't stop criminals/crime/gun crime/etc.

However, if you read my post, my proposed penalties for phone use and driving involved long term loss of licenses, not just a fine. So yeah, they will do it, until they cause an accident and have their license suspended or revoked for good. Then, if they are dumb enough to keep driving there will be some jail time involved. I'm not looking at it for the revenue, I'm looking at it to remove people from the roads.

After I posted earlier I rode through town to get some groceries and had some Jersey doucher almost run me over...because he was on his phone. I had some choice words for him at the stoplight after our close encounter. He just kept on with it, what a ****ing piece of **** .

~ Derek

I did read your post and agree for the most part with your penalties. But that wasn't the issue at all with this Texas bill. Like others have said, Distracted Driving is already against the law, just have the police enforce it, stop making all these stupid extra laws.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
didja know that reading a billboard takes your eyes off the road too?

but - dont much matter - I am in the camp that things like drinking/driving, and cellphone use are OK - and, there is no issue until something ACTUALLY happens. If I didnt crash the car, or run over the nuns, WTF diff does make if I am drunk or if I am texting? no harm, no foul.

tho, I fully get that is an unpopular concept.

so - are there any stats on how many accidents are caused by drinking/driving, and how many attributed to cellphone use? maybe some solid info to work with, instead of spouting impaired perceivements?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Pyrthian

29569 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:
I did read your post and agree for the most part with your penalties. But that wasn't the issue at all with this Texas bill. Like others have said, Distracted Driving is already against the law, just have the police enforce it, stop making all these stupid extra laws.

as is every bad thing that can happen if you do these things.....
whats gonna happen if you drink/drive, or cellphoning, or distarcted, or whatever? gonna crash into something/someone. that is already illegal, isnt it?
there is not a single driving law which doesnt already have laws against "what may happnen". and, that is what driving laws are all about. not "what happens" - but - "what may happen". which is why driving laws suck. seatbelts? WTF diff does it make, if there is no accident? what may happen.......
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Derek_85GT:

And people can walk or roll a horse and buggy while they text all day long. That is free use of the road per 13th Century rights.

Hurdling two tons of steel down the road at 50 mph while you "LOL! He didn't say that OMG!" into my truck or motorcycle is not a right.

And really what I'm arguing here is we need much tougher penalties for traffic violations, not necessarily more laws. DUI laws in this country are a joke, they are enforced with a slap on the wrist when it should be a punch to the side of the head. Personally, if someone kills someone drunk behind the wheel of a car, aside from criminal charges, they should NEVER be eligible for a driver's license again. That's not a new law, just a harsher penalty on an old law.

~ Derek

You do realize that we can now almost walk past a bar and be eligible for a DWI right? If nothing they need to relax these laws a bit. Allow some use of common sense before it's too late.

Brad
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

didja know that reading a billboard takes your eyes off the road too?

but - dont much matter - I am in the camp that things like drinking/driving, and cellphone use are OK - and, there is no issue until something ACTUALLY happens. If I didnt crash the car, or run over the nuns, WTF diff does make if I am drunk or if I am texting? no harm, no foul.

tho, I fully get that is an unpopular concept.

so - are there any stats on how many accidents are caused by drinking/driving, and how many attributed to cellphone use? maybe some solid info to work with, instead of spouting impaired perceivements?

There are lots of statistics about the dangers of using a cell phone while driving. Here are some:

Texting more dangerous than drunk driving

Texting while driving can be more dangerous than driving while swigging Jack Daniels, according to studies. In a 2009 survey, Car and Driver magazine tested two of its staffers under a variety of conditions. It found that on average, driving at 70 mph, one man braking suddenly while legally drunk (0.08 blood alcohol content) traveled 4 feet beyond his baseline performance. But reading an e-mail while driving sober, he traveled 36 feet beyond the baseline result and 70 feet while sending a text. In the worst case while texting, he traveled 319 feet before stopping.

Cell phone use as dangerous as driving drunk

The study, published in the June 29 issue of Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, found that drivers talking on cell phones, either handheld or hands-free, are more likely to crash because they are distracted by conversation.

Using a driving simulator under four different conditions: with no distractions, using a handheld cell phone, talking on a hands-free cell phone, and while intoxicated to the 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level, 40 participants followed a simulated pace car that braked intermittently.

Researchers found that the drivers on cell phones drove more slowly, braked more slowly and were more likely to crash. In fact, the three participants who collided into the pace car were chatting away. None of the drunken drivers crashed.

Report: Using Car Phones Is as Dangerous as Driving Drunk

BOSTON -- The risk of having a traffic accident while using a cellular phone is the same as that while driving drunk, according to a study appearing in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine. University of Toronto researchers found cell phone users four to five times more likely to get into traffic accidents than those who do not use them.

The Toronto study by Dr. Donald Redelmeier and Robert Tibshirani said the risk "is similar to the hazard associated with driving with a blood alcohol level at the legal limit."

Hands-free phones just as dangerous as hand-held...or worse

New Jersey statistics show that talking on a hands-free cell phone while driving can be just as dangerous as talking on a hand-held phone.

Other statistics:

http://www.citizen.org/pres...redirect.cfm?ID=2927
http://abcnews.go.com/Healt...ry?id=7017768&page=2
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/3542.html

Studies and statistics don't matter. The cell phone lobby will win every time.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock