Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Guy's holster shoots him in the leg! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Guy's holster shoots him in the leg! by Bullet
Started on: 05-31-2011 02:45 PM
Replies: 54
Last post by: Jackdaniels on 06-02-2011 12:18 AM
pHoOl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
I kinda have to disagree about the grip safety aspect.

If you are holstering, the web between your thumb and trigger finger is going to be depressing the grip safety (at least, the ones that I've seen on 1911s, XDs, etc.). That is, unless you holster by holding your slide like it's a pair of undies with some skid marks in them. lol.
IP: Logged
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

I kinda have to disagree about the grip safety aspect.

If you are holstering, the web between your thumb and trigger finger is going to be depressing the grip safety (at least, the ones that I've seen on 1911s, XDs, etc.). That is, unless you holster by holding your slide like it's a pair of undies with some skid marks in them. lol.

Nope. I can get a full hand grip on my 1911 without depressing the grip safety. You have to squeeze the grip to depress it. It's hard to describe, but you can feel it.
But even with the grip safety fully depressed, if the thumb safety is on, it still won't fire. That's one thing I like about the 1911.
To fire a cocked and locked 1911, you have to:
*release the thumb safety
*depress the grip safety
*pull the trigger

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

thats you choice if you want to carry a weapon with the safety on, but I would highly advise against it.

Misread sorry.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 05-31-2011).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

A Glock is "easier" to mishandle by accident than other types of semi-auto pistols, IMO.

Glock even easier when someone modifies Trigger pull. Many Glock owners do just that. 3-5 # pull is easy with aftermarket parts.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

And why is that? You obviously have no clue how that safety works. The safety rotates the firing pin down so even if the hammer is hit hard the gun can not fire. There is no possible way for it to fire unless 2 thing happen. 1- the safety is turned off "and" 2- a full trigger pull is made.

Do you think there is any LEO that carries without a round being chambered? I'll tell you right now that they don't.

What the hell are you talking about? I just said I highly advise you don't carry a weapon with the safety in the on position. Did you read anything I posted? BTW, I am A cop, and I stated earlier we NEVER carry a weapon with no round in the chamber or the safety on.

Perhaps you should read what some one says before spouting off.
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

its completely safe to carry a Glock Chambered. Like anything else, this a case of neglect. That was a poor choice of holster for this weapon, and one should inspect the holster they choose to use with a safe action pistol.

As an officer, you are taught never go anywhere half cocked. If you are carrying a weapon it should always be ready to go bang with a trigger pull. If you are serious about self defense, never carry a weapon with the safety on and never carry a weapon with a round not chambered. You can, but it would be unwise, as this would greatly put you at a disadvantage.

Jimmy I think you misunderstood what Nick was saying. Go back to his post prior to the one you quoted. He is only disagreeing with the safety on aspect, As I quoted him above he is saying carry with a round chambered. His experience and training in working a firearm as an LEO is valuable. As he said you have to carry the way you are comfortable and practiced. I carry a small DAO 9mm and agree with his assessment. A gun that is not ready to go when needed is nothing but an expensive paper weight.

edit: I type to slow. Nick answered while I was typing

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 05-31-2011).]

brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
As others have posted, this was nothing but user stupidity. He admits the holster was folding in and he still continued to use it!

I carry a G19 everyday pointed at my twig and berries and don't worry about them getting blown off. The only true safety is your brain, this guy wasn't using his.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
NickD3.4... Your correct. I misunderstood/read your post. I edited my reply. My appologies.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

What the hell are you talking about? I just said I highly advise you don't carry a weapon with the safety in the on position. Did you read anything I posted? BTW, I am A cop, and I stated earlier we NEVER carry a weapon with no round in the chamber or the safety on.

Perhaps you should read what some one says before spouting off.

Nick, just to make sure I didn't misread you, you're saying you would carry a 1911 style weapon Condition 0, with a round chambered, hammer cocked, and safety off?
I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that. I typically carry either Condition 1 or 3, but I'm also not a LEO and don't train with my firearm as much as you guys do.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

NickD3.4... Your correct. I misunderstood/read your post. I edited my reply. My appologies.

Yeah, after I posted and read you again, I figured you must have misread what I stated.

Formula, I would have no problem carrying a 1911 in a proper holster coked and ready to go. Part of the reason the grip safety is there is to prevent bang when your not gripping it, so as long as the weapon is functioning properly, I don't see an issue with carrying the weapon ready to rock and roll.

I don't have much experience with a 1911 though, so there for I cannot go into great detail about every carrying method, i.e. conceal carry for that model.

[This message has been edited by NickD3.4 (edited 05-31-2011).]

Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
We're straying from the topic a bit, but in general a 1911 is safer with the hammer locked back than with it resting on the pin. If you drop it with the hammer on the pin, none of the safeties will do anything for you. They are designed to be carried ready to rock and roll and are safer when carried in that condition.

And I want to add, quality holsters, people! The holster pictured in the article should have been retired LONG ago, and frankly, I don't think I would have used that style to begin with.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 06-01-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post
I think this is the best video explaining the differences and pros and cons of each of the Conditions of Readiness for the 1911. She even shows how the sear and hammer relate and work together.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
That is exactly correct and you can see a small blade device projecting outward from the front of the trigger. However, I often carry a Glock 23 and have had no issues at all with a proper holster (Uncle Mike's). My Walther PPS also has this type of safety mechanism but I feel very comfortable carrying either of them with a round chambered if you use an appropriate holster.

Nelson

Originally posted by Zeb:

Are you saying what I think you are? I'm totally unfamiliar with guns, but you're telling me you release the safety by PULLING THE TRIGGER?

Please don't take this the wrong way. If I ever get a pistol I'd like to know this kind of stuff...

Racing_Master

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bullet:

I think this is the best video explaining the differences and pros and cons of each of the Conditions of Readiness for the 1911. She even shows how the sear and hammer relate and work together.

Wow thanks! Lots of very good info on the 1911... Probably one of the reasons my friend who told me that 1911s are unsafe to carry is that he is a lefty... hehe. He also has a large distrust of Single action firearms. He carrys a Glock 9mm I think... I know he has one, but he might carry a Sig. In fact, he carrys 2 handguns at once, one mini .357 in a pocket holster, and one compact 9mm.

Also, sorry I diddnt mean to steal the thread or divert it in any way, Just that this story reminded me of my initial worry of accidental discharge when carrying a gun. I plan on carrying one, but I always hear horror stories. I love my rifle, but Handguns are so much more practical for personal defense...

However... maybe a rifle MIGHT be better at drive-by bayonetting...

[This message has been edited by Racing_Master (edited 06-02-2011).]

Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2011 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post
I've always used the pre-formed, molded holsters that fit the gun perfectly and have never had an issue. The guns draws very smoothly and also "drops" right back into the holster.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock