Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Philly Police Harass, Threaten to Shoot Man Legally Carrying Gun (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Philly Police Harass, Threaten to Shoot Man Legally Carrying Gun by dennis_6
Started on: 05-17-2011 03:26 PM
Replies: 129
Last post by: Lambo nut on 05-21-2011 08:25 PM
HIOSILVER!

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
At least the first video the individual tried to show the cop his proof and the cop messed up.

In the video you show in your post the cop nicely explained they were responding to a complaint. ANd yes you can excersize your rights without being a douchebag like the guy in the video did. It caught my eye because it was my city.

We have kids carrying guns to schools and shooting them up. If I were carrying a pistol on my hip and a cop approached me and if you listen to the video they werent over the top and asked me to show my id and permit i would because they had a complaint. Why wouldnt you if you had nothing to hide? Why stand there with a chip on your shoulder and cry your violating my rights show your proof and move on. Guy was obviously out to make a point. Cops were not wrong in how they handled it. They tried to be reasonable.
Heres a thought.
Guy walking around with the gun on his hip. Legal with proper documentation yes absolutely. If hes walking down the road cops have NO WAY of knowing if he is legal or not. He could be on his way to a school with murder in mind and not right in the head.
Theres only 2 options.
Verify its on the up and up and inconvenience the person for 5 min thank them and go on their way or just look the other way and pray the individual is not going to shoot up a school?
IP: Logged
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post

HIOSILVER!

1868 posts
Member since Mar 2002
I do have an honest question to what i wrote above.

Where is it written that a LEO is not allowed to try to prevent crime? (does a cop have the right or not if something seems wrong to question it and intervene?) Is intervention with the intent to protect the public not in a cops pervue?

Just wondering where the line is.

Yes there are bad cops just like there are plenty of good cops. One of my Cub Scout Den leaders is a Deputy Sherriff. Came to a meeting to show his tools and let the boys play with his fingerprint kit and showed them how they dust for prints and let them try.

[This message has been edited by HIOSILVER! (edited 05-19-2011).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HIOSILVER!:

I do have an honest question to what i wrote above.

Where is it written that a LEO is not allowed to try to prevent crime? (does a cop have the right or not if something seems wrong to question it and intervene?) Is intervention with the intent to protect the public not in a cops pervue?

Just wondering where the line is.

Yes there are bad cops just like there are plenty of good cops. One of my Cub Scout Den leaders is a Deputy Sherriff. Came to a meeting to show his tools and let the boys play with his fingerprint kit and showed them how they dust for prints and let them try.

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

This doesn't cleanly answer your question, but it does provide some... (?)insight(?). I'm not sure if this has changed, in the, nearly, 6 years since this ruling, but it is thought provoking.
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the link Rallaster. Thought provoking.

Heres another food for thought.

Why have cops or LEO's at all if thats not in their job description to protect the public?

We may as well call them all crime scene investigators if all they are allowed or required to do is wait for crime to be committed before they act?

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the link Rallaster. Thought provoking.

Heres another food for thought.

Why have cops or LEO's at all if thats not in their job description to protect the public?

We may as well call them all crime scene investigators if all they are allowed or required to do is wait for crime to be committed before they act?

What that ruling does, based on how I understand it, is put personal protection at the discretion of the departments and States. Even though they are not Constitutionally bound to protect, they can at their own discretion.
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
WHile I do agree with you Rallaster about the LEO and how he reacted and do believe he overreacted from the beginning. I do have to question though.
Waving it around absolutely the cop would have had cause to pull his own to approach.
However. Unless it takes minutes to unholster your own weapon. if an officer approaches you and knows your armed and doesnt know your intent i think they have to be prepared unless they are a quick draw expert.
I know some really fast people who practice quick draw and some holsters are designed for it yes? Why shouldnt the LEO at least have his gun at the ready knowing hes approaching an armed person?

Originally posted by Rallaster:

If he was going about his business with the gun in it's holster there's NO reason for the LEO to act the way he did. If he had it out waving it around, yeah, I could see that kind of reaction. The cop was out of line and should be punished appropriately. If I'm walking around town with my sidearm holstered and not threatening anyone, the ONLY thing I should be questioned about is if I have a personal protection permit, and the interaction can be done without cussing, screaming and weapons drawn.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

WHile I do agree with you Rallaster about the LEO and how he reacted and do believe he overreacted from the beginning. I do have to question though.
Waving it around absolutely the cop would have had cause to pull his own to approach.
However. Unless it takes minutes to unholster your own weapon. if an officer approaches you and knows your armed and doesnt know your intent i think they have to be prepared unless they are a quick draw expert.
I know some really fast people who practice quick draw and some holsters are designed for it yes? Why shouldnt the LEO at least have his gun at the ready knowing hes approaching an armed person?

Ready with their hand on their sidearm and maybe partially unholstered? Maybe, but out and already aimed at the "suspect"? Not a chance in hell.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

If he was going about his business with the gun in it's holster there's NO reason for the LEO to act the way he did. If he had it out waving it around, yeah, I could see that kind of reaction. The cop was out of line and should be punished appropriately. If I'm walking around town with my sidearm holstered and not threatening anyone, the ONLY thing I should be questioned about is if I have a personal protection permit, and the interaction can be done without cussing, screaming and weapons drawn.

Best, most sensible post right there.
The guy was dong nothing wrong in the first place so there was no reason for the police to approach him, ESPECIALLY with gun drawn! Pretty plain and simple the way i see it. This cop was a dumb azz and didn't even know it.

Kevin

Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Mark is a very nice guy, quiet and polite. He carries a voice recorder because of continual harassment from local law enforcement, but it is recommended that anyone OCing carries one, because of situations just like this. I've been following this for a while now.

~ Derek
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
Good point. No doubt cop was a prick. But maybe he lacks confidence in his ability to draw.

Ready with their hand on their sidearm and maybe partially unholstered? Maybe, but out and already aimed at the "suspect"? Not a chance in hell.

HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post

HIOSILVER!

1868 posts
Member since Mar 2002
I do agree with some points. And a plus to all when i have a chance for some good debate on this.

Nice guy he may be but no reason to approach I dont agree. There was no way for the cop to know he was legal or his intent period. Was he a prick and handled it wrong absolutely but not wrong to approach.

Hypothetical questions for you.

If you were a cop. You witness a black individual dressed thuggish openly carrying into a corner market or perhaps and arabian with beard in full muslim dress also openly carrying walking toward an airport. Would you feel the same? Your first thought was oh hes not doing anything wrong ill let him go?

Maybe the black individual was a cop or maybe a gang member. How would you know?
Maybe The muslim dressed individual was an air marshal or maybe he had terrorism in mind. How would you know for sure?

Now that link says cops arent required to protect. But would you be able to live with the fact that maybe that black individual robbed the store and you could have prevented it? Or the muslim individual made it into the airport and started shooting it up?

Perception is everything.

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Best, most sensible post right there.
The guy was dong nothing wrong in the first place so there was no reason for the police to approach him, ESPECIALLY with gun drawn! Pretty plain and simple the way i see it. This cop was a dumb azz and didn't even know it.

Kevin

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I sit here reading this wondering how many of those folks condeming the LEO have ever faced or challenged an unknown person that was carrying a weapon? Not your job, call the police. Let some other smuck risk his life. Just my thought process, not flaming anyone.

------------------
Ron

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

I do agree with some points. And a plus to all when i have a chance for some good debate on this.

Nice guy he may be but no reason to approach I dont agree. There was no way for the cop to know he was legal or his intent period. Was he a prick and handled it wrong absolutely but not wrong to approach.

If you were a cop. You witness a black individual dressed thuggish openly carrying into a corner market or perhaps and arabian with beard in full muslim dress also openly carrying walking toward an airport. Would you feel the same? Your first thought was oh hes not doing anything wrong ill let him go?

Maybe the black individual was a cop or maybe a gang member. How would you know?
Maybe The muslim dressed individual was an air marshal or maybe he had terrorism in mind. How would you know for sure?

Now that link says cops arent required to protect. But would you be able to live with the fact that maybe that black individual robbed the store and you could have prevented it? Or the muslim individual made it into the airport and started shooting it up?

I will answer the perception question with: While I live and work in a semi-professional locale, the only thing that separates my looks from that of a bumb after I've been off for 3-4 days is the way I dress. I have a scraggly beard that grows in patches and hair that is shoulder length and always frizzy. If I'm out working on my car in my ratty jeans and torn up t-shirt and have to go to Wal-Mart for something I could almost qualify for "people of walmart".

Oh yeah, unless I'm at work, I'm carrying.
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
Open or concealed?
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post

HIOSILVER!

1868 posts
Member since Mar 2002
I think im the new thread killer. LOL
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

I think im the new thread killer. LOL

After 3 minutes? pshhh, I got a whole bunch of threads that I've posted the last post in days!
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
LOL maybe I should say no one wants to debate me. LOL I was having fun too. And surprise surprise I didnt get anymore negatives I think.

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

After 3 minutes? pshhh, I got a whole bunch of threads that I've posted the last post in days!

deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

Open or concealed?

I have my CCW Permit but I will open carry when I feel like it because it is legal in my state.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Maine is also an open carry state, and I own handguns, but I will be dammed if I would ever carry open just because of this happening. It happens all the time, we have people right here in town that do, but they go threw the same crap unless they have been stopped before.

I am all for open carry, it would make thieves think twice about robbing you. But the police do have the right to see your id when you open carry just to make sure you have that right. Ie not out on bail or a convicted felon.

Now this guy was a dick.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...XmKQ&feature=related

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Black guy openly carrying no problem, Muslim is a different situation all together. First its a religion, not a race, second they did bring down the world trade center. Its not exactly Irish nuns having the holy war against the USA.
If he is an air marshal airport security will let him through, so I wouldn't freak then either, now an AK poking out the bottom of his robe, might get my concern up.
Also airport doe not = autozone. Big difference. Full dress muslim open carrying in autozone is not an issue to me.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 05-20-2011).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Open or concealed?

Depends on what the weather is like. I don't go out of my way to carry either/or.
PFF
System Bot
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Maine is also an open carry state, and I own handguns, but I will be dammed if I would ever carry open just because of this happening. It happens all the time, we have people right here in town that do, but they go threw the same crap unless they have been stopped before.

I am all for open carry, it would make thieves think twice about robbing you. But the police do have the right to see your id when you open carry just to make sure you have that right. Ie not out on bail or a convicted felon.

Now this guy was a dick.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...XmKQ&feature=related

Steve

Who was a Dick? The Guy Being illegally detained? Slippery Slope there. Sounds like his Civil rights were very close to being violated.

Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deezil:

Who was a Dick? The Guy Being illegally detained? Slippery Slope there. Sounds like his Civil rights were being violated.

Fixed.

~ Derek
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Who was a Dick? The Guy Being illegally detained? Slippery Slope there. Sounds like his Civil rights were very close to being violated.

The kid, yes it was a kid in his mid 20’s didn’t want to give them his ID that they had every right to politely ask for and they did.

He made a federal case out of being asked for an ID so that the cops could check to make sure that he was,
Not out on bail,
Not a convicted felon,
Not an illegal alien,
Not have a restraining order on him,
Not under age,
Would you want anyone who had any of those things hanging over them carrying a gun in public?
Let me guess, you are 20?

Steve

------------------

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

The kid, yes it was a kid in his mid 20’s didn’t want to give them his ID that they had every right to politely ask for and they did.

He made a federal case out of being asked for an ID so that the cops could check to make sure that he was,
Not out on bail,
Not a convicted felon,
Not an illegal alien,
Not have a restraining order on him,
Not under age,
Would you want anyone who had any of those things hanging over them carrying a gun in public?
Let me guess, you are 20?

Steve

Steve, I am 37 years old..

Do you seriously think that Anyone with the Criminal backgrounds or restrictions you listed would be Open Carrying for all to see?
I Highly Doubt it Criminals don't usually carry on their hip..

And you are correct they had Every right to ask him for his I.D.... And he had Every right to refuse the presentation of said I.D.
He has a right to Open Carry in his State.... He Also has the right to not be illegally detained...

No Probable cause means they were violating his civil rights by detaining him..And they knew it...It took them a bit to realize it though..

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Do you seriously think that Anyone with the Criminal backgrounds or restrictions you listed would be Open Carrying for all to see?

And you are correct they had Every right to ask him for his I.D.... And he had Every right to refuse the presentation of said I.D.
He has a right to Open Carry in his State.... He Also has the right to not be illegally detained...

No Probable cause means they were violating his civil rights by detaining him..And they knew it...It took them a bit to realize it though..

Bingo
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Maine is an open carry state, for residents of the state. A lot of people don’t know that, and from the sounds of his BS he may have been a college student here from another state.

Do I think any of those people I mentioned would open carry, no. but it is in the best interest of the cops and general public to make sure he wasn’t one of those or any number of other things that restrict a person from having a gun.

So whose civil rights get stepped on? His or the person he shoots because he is pissed at some one for cutting him off in traffic after he just got out on bail?

You have to think about this. It is not against the law to ask someone for an ID to make sure they are who they say they are.

Steve

------------------

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

I don't know the rules of having a CCW in PA but, it is my understanding (in most states) that one of the requirements of a CCW is that you must carry the license so that when challenged, you are able to show your CCW. Please feel free to correct me if I wrong.

------------------
Ron

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

So whose civil rights get stepped on? His or the person he shoots because he is pissed at some one for cutting him off in traffic after he just got out on bail?

You have to think about this. It is not against the law to ask someone for an ID to make sure they are who they say they are.

Steve

Again....they can ask for someones I.D all they want... Said person does not have to present it unless the officer states there is probable cause.
No Probable cause and they illegaly detain him means they are violating HIS Civil rights.......
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Again....they can ask for someones I.D all they want... Said person does not have to present it unless the officer states there is probable cause.
No Probable cause and they illegaly detain him means they are violating HIS Civil rights.......

Again, correct me if I'm wrong but if you're carrying and have your license on you and it is a requirement of the license to carry the permit on you, how else is an officer to know you have a permit. IMO, not providing that proof of a permit would automatically disqualify the holder from meeting the requirements or rules of having the permit. Similar to a driver's license, you are supposed to have it on you when you drive, failure to show proof results in consequences. I see no violation of anyone's rights if required to show proof of either a CCW or a driver's license. It is after all, a privelige to drive and to carry a weapon in most states. A privelige that can be revoked.

------------------
Ron

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

I don't know the rules of having a CCW in PA but, it is my understanding (in most states) that one of the requirements of a CCW is that you must carry the license so that when challenged, you are able to show your CCW. Please feel free to correct me if I wrong.

I saw you posted again about this.

If you are *Legally* concealing a Firearm on your person you would want to present that to them as soon as possible to avoid being confused with guys that should not be doing it.

If you are *Legally* Open carrying they better have a Damn good reason for wanting your I.D and detaining you. If not.... **** like this in this link below goes down and taxpayers have to foot the bill. http://www.the-two-malconte...t-rights-violated-2/

[This message has been edited by deezil (edited 05-20-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

I saw you posted again about this.

If you are *Legally* concealing a Firearm on your person you would want to present that to them as soon as possible to avoid being confused with guys that should not be doing it.

If you are *Legally* Open carrying they better have a Damn good reason for wanting your I.D and detaining you. If not.... **** like this in this link below goes down and taxpayers have to foot the bill. http://www.the-two-malconte...t-rights-violated-2/

In your example, the police disarmed the person. He apparently had CCW. All the police really needed to do was to ensure he had a permit and once that was determined. He should have been allowed to go on his way. The police erred per the settlement in actually taking the weapon from a licensed person. Again, just like the driver's license, a permit to carry is a privelidge. All one needs to do is to show the permit and move along.

------------------
Ron

ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
The only time I felt cheated by cops was when I was 18 a lady reversed into my cars front end and faulted ME after i tracked her down since she did a HIT AND RUN
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

In your example, the police disarmed the person. He apparently had CCW. All the police really needed to do was to ensure he had a permit and once that was determined. He should have been allowed to go on his way. The police erred per the settlement in actually taking the weapon from a licensed person. Again, just like the driver's license, a permit to carry is a privelidge. All one needs to do is to show the permit and move along.

We can go back and forth on this all night.. He was carrying open which is LEGAL IN HIS STATE. He does not have to have a permit to carry.

The Police Violated his 2nd and 4th ammendment rights and the taxpayers paid for it.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Actually, you don't "present" anything. You inform the officer you have a permit and are armed. You only present the permit when instructed to do so.
It's really important to understand it's a bad idea to reach for anything without the officer's instruction, especially if he knows/suspects you're armed.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

We can go back and forth on this all night.. He was carrying open which is LEGAL IN HIS STATE. He does not have to have a permit to carry.

But NOT legal in his CITY - unless he has a permit.
This was covered on page one of your text.

2. ALL OFFICERS SHOULD BE AWARE THAT PENNSYLVANIA IS
CONSIDERED AN “OPEN CARRY STATE” WITH THE EXCEPTION OF
PHILADELPHIA. IT IS IMPORTANT TO DEFINE A FEW TERMS USED,
WHICH ARE AS FOLLOWS:

“OPEN CARRY” REFERS TO THE ACT OF OPENLY AND VISIBLY
CARRYING A FIREARM ON ONE’S PERSON.

“OPEN CARRY STATE” REFERS TO A STATE THAT ALLOWS
PEOPLE TO OPENLY AND VISIBLY CARRY A FIREARM ON ONE’S
PERSON WITHOUT A SPECIAL LICENSE OR PERMIT.

“CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS LICENSE” REFERS TO A SPECIFIC
LICENSE ISSUED TO AN INDIVIDUAL AUTHORIZING THE PERSON
TO CARRY A FIREARM CONCEALED ON HIS OR HER PERSON OR
VEHICLE.

3. IN PHILADELPHIA, UNLIKE ANY OTHER PART OF THE STATE, FOR
ANY PERSON TO LAWFULLY, OPENLY AND VISIBLY CARRY A
FIREARM, THAT PERSON MUST HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY
FIREARMS LICENSE. SO, IN PHILADELPHIA, IF A PERSON HAS A
VALID CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS LICENSE, HE OR SHE CAN
LEGALLY CARRY A FIREARM EITHER OPEN AND VISIBLE OR
CONCEALED.
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Actually, you don't "present" anything. You inform the officer you have a permit and are armed. You only present the permit when instructed to do so.
It's really important to understand it's a bad idea to reach for anything without the officer's instruction, especially if he knows/suspects you're armed.

If I am in my Vehicle I have that out before he even gets up to the door.. So I Present this to them when they ask for my ID because it is on my DL.
So...I Present..........
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

But NOT legal in his CITY - unless he has a permit.
This was covered on page one of your text.

[QUOTE]2. ALL OFFICERS SHOULD BE AWARE THAT PENNSYLVANIA IS
CONSIDERED AN “OPEN CARRY STATE” WITH THE EXCEPTION OF
PHILADELPHIA. IT IS IMPORTANT TO DEFINE A FEW TERMS USED,
WHICH ARE AS FOLLOWS:

“OPEN CARRY” REFERS TO THE ACT OF OPENLY AND VISIBLY
CARRYING A FIREARM ON ONE’S PERSON.

“OPEN CARRY STATE” REFERS TO A STATE THAT ALLOWS
PEOPLE TO OPENLY AND VISIBLY CARRY A FIREARM ON ONE’S
PERSON WITHOUT A SPECIAL LICENSE OR PERMIT.

“CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS LICENSE” REFERS TO A SPECIFIC
LICENSE ISSUED TO AN INDIVIDUAL AUTHORIZING THE PERSON
TO CARRY A FIREARM CONCEALED ON HIS OR HER PERSON OR
VEHICLE.

3. IN PHILADELPHIA, UNLIKE ANY OTHER PART OF THE STATE, FOR
ANY PERSON TO LAWFULLY, OPENLY AND VISIBLY CARRY A
FIREARM, THAT PERSON MUST HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY
FIREARMS LICENSE. SO, IN PHILADELPHIA, IF A PERSON HAS A
VALID CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS LICENSE, HE OR SHE CAN
LEGALLY CARRY A FIREARM EITHER OPEN AND VISIBLE OR
CONCEALED.
[/QUOTE]

At This point in the conversation I Was talking about the Loveland CO fellow.

And that was not my text.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

The Police Violated his 2nd and 4th ammendment rights and the taxpayers paid for it.

Per your example, the police settled to avoid further litigation. I will agree the police may have pushed the envelope somewhat but, I also see the reason to check him out, verify his permit and let him move on. Were his rights violated in that brief time the police had his weapon? Not in my opinion. The public and police have rights also. That permit does not give the owner the rights of a god. IMO, there was no harm, no foul. Carrying has responsibilies also. One of them is good common sense. Again, I am not anti-gun, but I recognize the dangers and responsibilities of ownership and having a permit.

------------------
Ron

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

Per your example, the police settled to avoid further litigation. I will agree the police may have pushed the envelope somewhat but, I also see the reason to check him out, verify his permit and let him move on. Were his rights violated in that brief time the police had his weapon? Not in my opinion. The public and police have rights also. That permit does not give the owner the rights of a god. IMO, there was no harm, no foul. Carrying has responsibilies also. One of them is good common sense. Again, I am not anti-gun, but I recognize the dangers and responsibilities of ownership and having a permit.

You can choose to see it anyway you wish but even the ACLU disagrees with you that this guys rights were indeed violated.

"Based upon Mr. Miller's account and LPD's own reports, no reasonable officer could have believed Mr. Miller was doing more on Oct. 7, 2008, than 'lawfully exercising his right under . . . law to possess a gun in public,' " the ACLU said."

Also,The Loveland CO Fellow did not need a permit. Open carry is legal where he resides.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock