Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Does The Chevy Vega Look Better Today Then It Did Back Then? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Does The Chevy Vega Look Better Today Then It Did Back Then? by Boondawg
Started on: 03-30-2011 12:34 PM
Replies: 56
Last post by: css9450 on 03-31-2011 08:57 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2011 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
IDK if it looks better, but I'd drive it.

If only for the factor...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I never thought the Vega looked bad. Looked kind of like a mini Camaro from the front.
It was just that it tended to drop parts along the side of the road as it went.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
More to the point, does a modified Vega look better than a stock Vega? Yes.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
No, I always thought they looked good. But I may be a little biased. My '74 Vega GT gave it's life defending me from an errant T-Bird.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
nope

Still not a fan... but I don't like most of what the 70s put out for cars/trucks. Give me the 60s (and some 80s)
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

More to the point, does a modified Vega look better than a stock Vega? Yes.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
By "look better", are we speaking strictly appearance-wise? I think those early Vegas look fantastic. Always have.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
It rides a little high but I think it looks pretty cool. Wasn't around back then though. Most 70s cars were pretty ugly though.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I agree that one looks good with high suspension, larger tires, a rake angle, a cowl induction hood, tinted windows? ..and aftermarket wheels.

But vegas aren't bed.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-30-2011).]

dsnover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
I always liked the Vega, especially the Cosworth variant. But the things rusted rather quickly, at least here in the North East.
PFF
System Bot
Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
I had two of them back in the eighties. Both wagons. Great for hauling stuff. Paid $400 for one and $200 for the other. They were cool little cars if you could keep the rust away and the parts from falling off. The starter kept falling out of the motor. No amout of torque on the bolts would hold it.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Does The Chevy Vega Look Better Today Then It Did Back Then?

Honestly, I don't like the car in the picture you posted... I'm not a huge fan of the cowl hood and the huge tires in the rear. It makes the car look disproportionate.

But I do like this one that someone else posted.

STILL not a fan of the wheels, but I think period-correct Chevrolet wheels would look really nice on this car:

FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget the "frugal" notchback model...

[This message has been edited by FrugalFiero (edited 03-31-2011).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I like them and always have. I particularly like the wagon. All the 70's cars had rust problems.

More to the point, the Vega is a great platform to hotrod.

Arn
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I like it but I think they need to lower it about 4 inches and move the wheel wells up about the same amount.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

In answer to your question Boonie... no. That's because it looked good back then as well. Sure, it was a cheaply made car, but it still looked good.

I'd love to have one that had an updated drive train and suspension.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
My 1st wife had one when we met, that someone had given to her when she went to college. It was a good car, except about the time we got married, one day it wouldn't start and I never could get it running again. We sold it for something like $50.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Of course, if Boonie had really been on the ball, he would've been asking us our opinion of the Pontiac Astre.

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-30-2011 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post
I'm one that never thought they were 'bad' either. I prefer the earlier years with the 'open' grill. And i liked the wagon, when it had the side windows taken out for steel.

But, they were junk. Then again, lots of cars were back then.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
I had a 72 with the open front grill and a 77 (last model year) with the closed grill--which I think looked real "sharp".

Check out the photographs in this brief writeup: A photo of a 1977 Cosworth Vega and a clever magazine advertisement COSWORTH. ONE VEGA FOR THE PRICE OF TWO.

Beat the Recession #5: The Chevrolet Cosworth Vega

Just a few years ago I saw a Cosworth Vega driving down the street. Last time I ever saw a Vega on the road.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-30-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
One of my roommates in the Air Force had a wagon with a 350 in it. At 120 the front end would get very light...
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 1972 Vega 2300. It was a standard interior with the GT engine and suspension. Parts NEVER fell off. I did go thru a motor which GM replaced for free. It was a tight handling gem, wish I still had it. It sure as hell looked better than anything else out there, and better than the current crop of polished turds.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I had a '77 Vega Wagon. It would use a can of oil every other fill up with gas.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:
... Parts NEVER fell off...

Okay. I exaggerated.
To make amends... The Baldwin Motion Vega.
http://www.yenko.net/features/2000/May2000.htm

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-30-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

I bought a 1972 Vega 2300. It was a standard interior with the GT engine and suspension. Parts NEVER fell off. I did go thru a motor which GM replaced for free. It was a tight handling gem, wish I still had it. It sure as hell looked better than anything else out there, and better than the current crop of polished turds.

Parts fell off my friends wagon. When what the parts mount to rots away, simply air and luck wont hold them on.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

... the Pontiac Astre.

Oh yeah. My brother had one of those for a short time (just before he got his 68 Chevelle SS).
Once I set a roll of pennies on the dash, and it rolled down the defroster duct.
I never got it back. Don't know how I remembered that, it was a long time ago.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
The only one I ever drove died if driven below 15 mph. That was not a good combination on a snow covered road in Colorado in the late 70's. If it wasn't for a big rock, I'd have gone over a small cliff.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 03-30-2011).]

Wudman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post
To answer the question, no. It looks the same. Having said that, new they were pretty sharp for the day when compared to the Pinto and the very ugly, but incredibly more reliable and expensive Japanese cars.

My Datsun 510 could kill a stock Vega and unless someone stuffed a V8 in the Vega, my boxy, four door 510 could drive circles around one without needing an oil pan underneath it after a good run. Not much you could do to that stock mill but clean up oil leaks. If you did put a V8 in them which was pretty common back in the day, you better re-enforce the frame if you wanted to open the doors or not crab down the road. Vegas tended to twist into unusual geometries under torque. I can recall one friend who after his first test run at the Wed. Night high school drags, could not open his doors. He was fast, but had to climb out the window. Eventually his car was great at "crabbing" down the road.

Now I did see a pretty panel wagon out the California Zephyr last month somewhere in Iowa. The bright yellow wagon jumped out at me from the used car lot when framed against the grain bins at 30mph. I couldn't get my video camera on fast enough to catch a shot.

Inside there were pretty spartan in a way you don't see anymore. In a head on between a Vega and a Fiero I suggest that you could push the motor into the back hatch and the driver? Well....
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Well, indeed. I actually DID crash a Vega. 50mph into a T-Bird that turned across traffic in front of me. Pushed the drivers corner of the front bumper back to the cet of the wheel. Passenger side was almost full length. Roof was oil-canned down about 3-4 inches in the center, and the door wouldn't open. No problem, the side windows weren't there any more. My buddy & I "Dukes of Hazzarded" it out the windows. Other cars had stopped, they ran to the T-Bird to help. Nobody wanted to look in the Vega! We both walked, well, LIMPED, away. I was seriously bruised up, and my buddy had a broken collarbone. We considered it good.

When the car was taken to the junkyard weeks later, they didn't even bother to remove it from the flatbed, just stripped it right there. I went by to get the plates. I told the head guy I was here for the plates on the Vega. He asked if i was driving it. I said yes. THEY ALL STOPPED WORK AND TURNED TO LOOK AT ME. I guess it was a pretty well smashed up car. Head guy asks "You got a church?" I admitted I didn't. He says: "You better get one."
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Make fun of me if you want, but I love Vega's. Yes I know they were rust buckets and quality was horrible, but I love the way they look. All those problems can be overcome with a frame off restoration and an engine swap.

Jim
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
One of the mechanics at work has a pearl white Vega with a 3.4 V6 in it. It is a nice car.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I also crashed my Vega. I almost died in a head on collision with it. The front end ended up where my knees where and the engine was pushed in several inches into the passenger compartment.

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I like the early skinny bumper style Vega. The Vega would rock with a turbo Ecotec, t-56 and a narrowed nine inch with 4.11 gears. Big fat tires all around, big brakes, some suspension upgrades...I would clear a place in the driveway to park one. Imagine the look on the younger crowd when your olde tyme wimpy car shows their fart-can mobile what some 70's tail lights look like.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
I remember wanting the Cosworth Vega, back then, I thought it was the coolest car.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Of course, if Boonie had really been on the ball, he would've been asking us our opinion of the Pontiac Astre.

OMG, that is the coolest car I've ever seen in my life... no longer do I long for my Porsche 944 that I sold, or that 1988 Mazda RX-7 Turbo-II that I sold... that's what I want... holy crap, it looks like a 70s Ferrari and a Trans Am had sex. I've got to find one!!!

Originally posted by avengador1:

I also crashed my Vega. I almost died in a head on collision with it. The front end ended up where my knees where and the engine was pushed in several inches into the passenger compartment.

Damn, that looks bad. I'm guessing that hole is where your head went through??? OUCH!!!

Originally posted by User00013170:

I'm one that never thought they were 'bad' either. I prefer the earlier years with the 'open' grill. And i liked the wagon, when it had the side windows taken out for steel.

But, they were junk. Then again, lots of cars were back then.

How junky could they be now though? With the exception of the chassis... everything else is just old 70s technology that you could easily replace with newer stuff...

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22884 posts
Member since Aug 2002
Patrick, why would you do this to me?

I'm going to think about this car for the rest of the year now. I'm trying to be responsible, I'm trying to pare down my cars... and here you post a car like that...

A smallish, 2-door, rear-wheel drive, Pontiac with European styling...

Damn... that car is soo damned cool.

If I got that car, I would probably pull the entire running gear + 5-speed from a 95 Camaro w/ 3.4 and drop it in there... it would be smooth running, have decent fuel economy, and plenty of power for it's size... man... I TOTALLY want one...
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wudman:

My Datsun 510 could kill a stock Vega and unless someone stuffed a V8 in the Vega, my boxy, four door 510 could drive circles around one without needing an oil pan underneath it after a good run.

I concur. My 510 was a four door with a Mulholland slalom kit. It had mechanical secondaries on the carb. Definitely outperformed a stock Vega.

Arn

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
OMG!!! There was an Oldsmobile one too!!! It looks like a space ship!!!

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

OMG!!! There was an Oldsmobile one too!!! It looks like a space ship!!!

This olds model, the Starfire, had two sister cars, the Chevy Monza and the Buick Skylark. They were supposed to be the model that got the wankel rotary GM was devloping in the 70s.AMC Pacer was supposed to get that engine too.

The engine never was devloped far enough for production and was scrapped/cancelled

and the Monza went on to get 305 V8 power. Some like the spyder got 350 4V V8s (4V meant 4bbl carberator)

The Skylark got the 3.8 V6, the ancestor to the 3800 V6

I never owned a Vega or her stepsisters.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock