Started on: 03-19-2011 09:49 AM
Replies: 44
Last post by: Xanth on 04-20-2011 02:29 PM
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Just getting into the smartphone world, bought an HTC Thunderbolt and am really liking it. So far all the apps and widgets I've installed have been for managing the battery life. First day I got it I killed it in about 3 hours, normal use and management with widgets has gotten me 1 1/2 days so far at 40% remaining.

Anyone have some interesting/useful/cool apps they like to use on their Android?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darksyde

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeDirect Link to This Post
Do Not DL Advanced Task Killer. Everybody will tell you it should be your first dl. But just don't do it, it actually uses more battery power. I have a bunch of apps I use on my phone but here's some links that can help with your phone. The 1st being the best. Try dl'n either DolphinHD or Skyfire for your browser. You will love either of them compared to the stock.

http://androidforums.com/htc-thunderbolt/
http://www.howardforums.com/forum.php

Not sure if this is your first 'droid phone, but when you decide to dig deeper and Root your phone and download new ROMS for it xda-developers will be the site you want to pay attention to. I also may be going way beyond what your looking for as well. I'll stop rambling now. lol

[This message has been edited by Darksyde (edited 03-19-2011).]

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i just got a free upgrade under insurance from the original droid to the droid 2,
the droid 2 has some "mortorola widgets" that were not on the D1
i like picture frame plus it is a pitcure frame that scrolls through your pics, and also has a quick link to your galary and a fast start up button for the camera

other widgets i like are "fancy widget" its a clock and weather display

------------------
AIM:Onefast2M8
00 VW GTi VR6 -- Not stock
06 VW GTi 2.0t
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-19-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
tho i know its slightly different, the most 4 important things i put on my tablet were ezpdf, kindle, dolphin and wifi file explorer.

ya, i'm boring.
Black Lotus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black LotusSend a Private Message to Black LotusDirect Link to This Post
T-Mobile MyTouch 4G / HTC Glacier.
I use "internet" and "google maps" often. Came with the phone.
Google "goggles" sucks.
Google "earth" in 3D is pretty neat.
The "car dock" with the "genius" voice recognition works OK. Came with the phone.
"Yellowbook" phone directory shows promise.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
I would like to ad that the dolphin browser is nice because it allows you to save youtube videos

------------------
AIM:Onefast2M8
00 VW GTi VR6 -- Not stock
06 VW GTi 2.0t
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
I use dolphin mini. I also like Astro file manager. If you are a Conan fan Team Coco is pretty cool. Pandora. Netflix manager. Poynt is nice. I have an app called Emulator Roms, which allows me to download Roms for NES, SNES, Sega, PS1, and the proper Emulators. I play a lot of Mario on my phone. When I first got it I killed the battery fast, then installed a bunch of power and app managers and my battery increased. then I realized the increase was due to me being smarter about my use. So I uninstalled the battery apps and improved it some more. Those apps drain your battery. They run constantly, whereas most of the apps they kill don't. Check the battery monitor on your phone and it will give you a break down of your drains. "46% display, 20% cell standby, 2% Android OS, 1% browser, 1% Market, 1% netflix, yada yada" everything will be less than 1% because they aren't constantly doing anything. Then you add the app killer or whatever and suddenly you have "46% display, 20% cell standby, 17% App MANAGER 2% Android OS, 1% browser, 1% Market, 1% netflix, yada yada".

turn off GPS when you aren't using it. Turn off WIFI and Sync when you don't need them. Dim the screen if you don't need it too bright.

The best App I have it Rom Manager. (my phone is rooted) It allows me to change roms as I see fit. I am able to overclock my phone to 1.5 ghz when I am doing demanding things... Like playing Gran Turismo or something. Then I can scale it down to 500mhz to conserve battery life. I also have XBMC remote, because I use XBMC for my home theater setup. I have it running 100% of the time I am home, because I like to have music going all the time. I can control it from my phone anywhere within WIFI range, and it shows Movie/TV show/Album art and information, etc on my phone.

Also, you can find different messaging and music apps, etc, if you don't like how something is set up on your phone. I use HandCent.
You can also set triggers based on location or time. So, say you get to work at 7. You can set your phone to go to vibrate and change your wallpaper to something work appropriate at 6:55. Then when you get home at 4 you can have it change the wallpaper back to the wimminz you had or Angus Young or whatever and it can change your ringtone to Live Wire and turn on your wifi and launch you home theater remote. or whatever you want it to do. I use time base triggers because they don't eat battery like location based, but I really prefer location because I can set it to silence my phone at the theater or church or my parents, or set reminders when I get close to the bank or the grocery store, etc.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Oh I really like Netflix... oh wait.. iPhone only...
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

Oh I really like Netflix... oh wait.. iPhone only...

Yes, but that is due to agreements and such, not due to Android not being able to handle it. By all accounts it is on its way. Not a big enough selling point to turn me off of Android.

***I do admit I am unsure if there would be annoying DRM issues. God I hate DRM... another thing to hate about iDevices

[This message has been edited by TommyRocker (edited 03-19-2011).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:
***I do admit I am unsure if there would be annoying DRM issues. God I hate DRM... another thing to hate about iDevices

I have no DRM issues, as I buy very little of my media from iTunes.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

I have no DRM issues, as I buy very little of my media from iTunes.

Yes, DRM and apple have never met.

My judge of a good device is whether you have to "break" it to make it work the way you want to.

You have to "break" the iPhone to get around the DRM that is inherent in EVERY Apple device.

I got no problem with worshipping a device, but iPhone fanboys are like friggin Crack addicts sometimes.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

```` I buy very little of my media from iTunes.

nice...
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Last thing I will say on it in this thread.. Sorry for stepping in your thread....

But you do not have to break an idevice to avoid DRM issues. My iPad 2 is not Jail Broken as of yet, and I have all of my music on it.
I do not buy most of my stuff from iTunes, because it comes with the hard copies I have bought. Every Blu-Ray movie I have bought, comes with a digital copy, all my cd's I can transfer myself.

But I listen to the radio mostly. If WunderFM exists for Droid.... BUY IT!!! Best App ever for listening to radio stations around the world!
Black Lotus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black LotusSend a Private Message to Black LotusDirect Link to This Post

. My iPad 2 is not Jail Broken as of yet,

Called up T-Mobile a week after I got my phone.
Me---"I want to unlock my phone."
T-Mobile---"Why?"
Me---"Because I am traveling to Thailand and I want to use a local SIM card to save money"
T-Mobile---"That's a good idea!"
Got the unlock code the next day.
In fact my past three T-Mobile phones were unlocked by them just by asking.
But do I need to unlock the phones workings at the root levels? Nope, so I'm happy.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-19-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

I don't have DRM on any music or videos that i have on my iphone. ( or tablet for that matter.. )
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black Lotus:

But do I need to unlock the phones workings at the root levels? Nope, so I'm happy.

I wasn't trying to recommend rooting... In fact, Android doesn't need to be rooted for any features you would need for normal use. I did it just because I like to tinker, and because Playstation games were laggy without the overclock. For the VAST majority of users, I would say don't root...

As for Wunder Radio... Android Market has it, but TuneIn Radio is free and widely accepted as being superior.
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
Google Sky. More fun on a clear night than Google Earth could ever be. Funny when you point it down.

Pandora. I have a couple of stations, so I can listen with headphones on my way to work. (I walk)

Angry Birds. Stupid fun, but fun, anyways.

OK, so I'm not a heavy user. My D2 is probably going to waste.... BTW, I usually get a day out of a charge. I don't do anything unusual about power management.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
HEYTELL : A free app, used to be an iPhone only app, now available w/ Android phones.

It turns your phone in to a push to talk phone. Works very good. Has a neat feature that allows you to see a map, showing your location & the location of the person your talking with. You can turn this feature on or off, in case you don't want to give away your location.

I've been using it for about a year, it comes in very handy. Instead of texting someone, you voice text them.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/heytell/com.heytell

Cross-platform push-to-talk (ptt) w/location on 3G/4G/Wifi

Use as a walkie talkie or IM to send quick, encrypted voice instant messages on Android & iOS.

I can say this is a "must have" app.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-20-2011).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

CoolBlue87GT

8404 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Wondering if anyone here has / and is using HEYTELL ?

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-20-2011).]

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
My wife and I use Tikl, which is push to talk, but no gps integration. I will download HeyTell to try it out.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Awesome list going

This is way better than any of the "Top 10 Apps" lists I could find online, they all listed the same not all the interesting stuff. Already downloaded and playing with a few of the ones suggested here.

PFF
System Bot
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
I just dow nloaded Google Voice, visual voice mail. Sooo cool. It transcribes your voicemail so you can read through them, and play back selected messages.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Talking Tom and "Caller ID spoof...

Talking tom is fun and useless fun... pull his tail and while he listens make him cuss...

Caller ID faker is great to get competing Chinese food places to talk to one another.

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 03-20-2011).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting my first smart phone (a Droid Incredible) this week hopefully, so I'm watching this thread closely.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Pandora is awesome, I just carry it around with me for radio everywhere. Hook it up in the garage, the car, wherever. Amazing little app.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Talking Tom and "Caller ID spoof...

Talking tom is fun and useless fun... pull his tail and while he listens make him cuss...

Caller ID faker is great to get competing Chinese food places to talk to one another.

Talking Tom is fun. We have a friend that used to post weekly TT updates on facebook. he'd have adventures in almost becoming a special at a local Chinese place, and all sorts of fun.

Brad
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
I recently installed EasyTether to use my X's 3G when our Charter went out.

I also really like Wireless File Transfer, which allows me to bring up and manage my phone data in a web browser. You can also download files off your phone if you don't have a cord and the bluetooth transferring is as troublesome for you as it was for me.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-22-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Pandora is awesome, I just carry it around with me for radio everywhere. Hook it up in the garage, the car, wherever. Amazing little app.

Speaking of, are there any streaming apps like Audio galaxy? i have about a TB at home for when i want it. ( and 16gb with me )
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

I'm getting my first smart phone (a Droid Incredible) this week hopefully, so I'm watching this thread closely.

I have an incredible. Love it, but the battery life kind of blows.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Speaking of, are there any streaming apps like Audio galaxy? i have about a TB at home for when i want it. ( and 16gb with me )

Never used it before, but apparantly it has been released for Android:

http://www.eurodroid.com/20...ng-via-3g-and-wi-fi/

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 03-22-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-22-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Never used it before, but apparantly it has been released for Android:

http://www.eurodroid.com/20...ng-via-3g-and-wi-fi/

The way things are going these days i may have to swap to an android someday, so just thinking ahead.
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

I have an incredible. Love it, but the battery life kind of blows.

Do none of the apps to save battery life work on it?

I know the one I was playing with he claimed several times longer battery life when set to that mode. Of course he was more into making it work hard so he could run all kinds of stuff, so it wasn't great.

Brad
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Do none of the apps to save battery life work on it?

I know the one I was playing with he claimed several times longer battery life when set to that mode. Of course he was more into making it work hard so he could run all kinds of stuff, so it wasn't great.

Brad

In my experience, and it also seems to be what you'll find on the Android Forums... No. They actually eat more battery because they are running constantly. You'll be better off remembering to turn off GPS and WIFI and dim the screen when in dark rooms and so on. I am able to go all day on a charge with my overclocked G2 with moderate internet/facebooking, lots of texting, and moderate to heavy gaming.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
My thunderbolt is supposed to have bad battery life, and it did when I first got it, I've managed to get two full days out of it. One of my desktop screens contains GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Mobile Web, Hotspt, Autosync, and Brightness widgets.

I just keep everything turned off unless I'm actively using that feature.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 03-22-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
The task killers might drain your battery, but if you can get one that doesn't run all the time then it really speeds up your phone when you need it to. It might just be because I have an older Android, but if I don't use it for awhile it builds up a ton of background apps and then I'll go to turn it on and it just is SO SLOW. So I need a task killer.

I use my phone HEAVILY and the battery is almost shot... I will get 6-7 hours out of it if I use it like normal. 12 if I don't use it a lot.

EDIT: I'm looking up battery saving techniques. While I turned off a lot of the syncing, I'm learning a lot that could save my battery life so I can actually use it for a whole day. You'd think after over a year I would have looked at this....

[This message has been edited by theBDub (edited 03-22-2011).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
I bought a Droid today, though the Incredible is out of stock even at the warehouse so I went for the next cheapest one, a Droid 2 Star Wars edition.

http://www.verizonwireless....4&deviceCategoryId=1

It should arrive in the mail in 2 days, then it's app city!

[This message has been edited by Flamberge (edited 03-26-2011).]

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
There is an app called Fake me out of here.
If you want to get out of a situation, you give the Droid a little shake, and a bit later, you set the time, it rings like you have a call.
Answer it and pretend it is bad news and you have to go.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I just found a great one the other day, I believe its been around awhile but it still seems to work great. It's called "Apps Organizer", it allows you to sort your apps into different Labels and create shortcuts on the home page quickly and easily. Reduced a lot of icons on my phone.

Best part is, its completely free, and has no special permissions:

https://market.android.com/...eature=search_result

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 04-16-2011).]

Darksyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:
The task killers might drain your battery, but if you can get one that doesn't run all the time then it really speeds up your phone when you need it to. It might just be because I have an older Android, but if I don't use it for awhile it builds up a ton of background apps and then I'll go to turn it on and it just is SO SLOW. So I need a task killer.

You DO NOT NEED a task killer. It does more drain than not having it. I have one of the weakest slowest cpu'd 'droid phones out. ATK is a waste. Your basically taking the functionality of what the 'droid OS is meant to do, away from it. I had ATK on my wife's and my phone. Once I read up on it and removed them the battery life has increased.

TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
I recently deleted Pandora because of their whole debacle with selling user info. I've been using Jango and it works pretty well.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock