Started on: 03-02-2011 02:05 AM
Replies: 134
Last post by: twofatguys on 01-28-2012 07:59 PM
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if you are interested, but I have an advanced copy of a book which discusses the life of Everett Ruess. Once I'm done with it, I'd like you to read it. seems pretty interesting so far...

Are you doing this alone? what made you/inspired you to do this?
IP: Logged
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Not sure if you are interested, but I have an advanced copy of a book which discusses the life of Everett Ruess. Once I'm done with it, I'd like you to read it. seems pretty interesting so far...

Are you doing this alone? what made you/inspired you to do this?

I am interested.

I'm doing this alone for the most part, but some members are planning on meeting up and walking with me for a few days, few weeks, or whatever.

I think my cousin is also planning on doing the last month or so with me, but it's up to his mom since he will be 14.

As for what is making me do this, or inspiring me to do this, I can't really explain it, I thought that was strange and until I started reading trail journals and noticed that I was definitely not alone in that many people have completed the trail and still don't know why they had to do it.. It's like some force that drives me to hike this. I don't have anything to prove really, I just have to do this.

Brad
dmcgreene

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
wow thats alot of hiking, and youll be right near where i live, along the blue ridge parkway lol actually gotta go thru multiple places on ur list in eastern tennesse today lol
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Brad, we may have a good friend of mine joining us for the PA portion Its up in the air, and it all depends on if he can spare the ~20 or so days away from his family and his job (he's a pastor at one of the EFree churches here in Nebraska), as well as the expenses.

The more the merrier right
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Brad, we may have a good friend of mine joining us for the PA portion Its up in the air, and it all depends on if he can spare the ~20 or so days away from his family and his job (he's a pastor at one of the EFree churches here in Nebraska), as well as the expenses.

The more the merrier right

Not a problem, as long as he doesn't try to convert me, I won't try to convert him .
What's EFree?
Brad
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Not a problem, as long as he doesn't try to convert me, I won't try to convert him .
What's EFree?
Brad

LOL He's trying to convert me (its his job ) But he's a great guy

I'm afraid to ask what you'd be converting him to...

EFree is short for Evangelical Free Church. Its an Unorthodox Christian church from what I can gather (Free Christian/Free Church hybrid to be specific).

He also happens to be my MMA coach, and a Christian Apologetic (i.e., one of the members of Christianity that is trying to prove the existence of "God" through scientific arguements).

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 03-20-2011).]

nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
I FINALLY found my pictures & I FINALLY got the scanner to work!
Sorry for taking so long to get them posted.

These two were taken in mid July - approaching the Knife Edge that leads to the summit. The AT comes in from the other side so you wont have to cross this part.

This next one is looking up towards the top taken from the Helon Taylor trail. Indicated by the blue blaze.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Thanks nmw75!

I haven't given up on anything. I've just been doing the boring stuff. Drying fruits, and "cheap" stuff that I find at the store.

I picked two guys to follow as they hiked the AT this year to try and gain some insight as to what happens.

One guy posted once after he left, and hasn't sent a message since. The general consensus is that he quit, and doesn't want to show his face. I just want to know what happened.

The other guy I thought would be good to follow. He was/is a firefighter, and already pretty used to the outdoors. He started out really well, about 10 miles a day, and then started hiking from bar to bar, and motel to motel, getting rides to many. He's basically stopped hiking at this point, and is just doing a beer roll. About the only thing I am learning from him is that there are bars available, and people can still surprise.

We all hike our own hike, it's not for me to judge what others do. I'm not into the social scene, and I am planning on not having to go to towns as often just to avoid temptation.

On a related note I found out that my boots I got to "train" in are not actually waterproof as advertized. From what I am reading you have to pay a lot to get good waterproof boots, so I may just see about going with Jungle boots. If my feet are going to be wet, they may as well be able to dry out too.

Ideas?

Brad
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2011 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Bread bags over your socks...

If you heat your dry boots and rub in mink oil, heat, oil, repeat, repeat, etc., you can come up with some preatty waterproof boots.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Bread bags over your socks...

If you heat your dry boots and rub in mink oil, heat, oil, repeat, repeat, etc., you can come up with some preatty waterproof boots.

Ok, this sounds good, but how should I heat them, and where can I get mink oil.

The next question has an obvious answer, but I will ask it anyway, the tongue on my boots are fake leather, can they be treated like this as well?

Brad
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2011 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Mink oil is made from the thick fatty layer minks have just under their skins. This fat is removed from the pelt when the mink is skinned and is then rendered into mink oil. Mink oil is a source of palmitoleic acid, which possesses physical properties similar to human sebum, which makes it an excellent skin conditioner. Mink oil is also used for treating/conditioning and preserving nearly all kinds of leather.

"Trappers were probably the first people to notice the benefits of mink oil, which helped to soften their hands. They also rubbed mink oil onto their shoes, to make the leather more flexible and make the shoes more waterproof."

A leather conditioner compounded for leather sporting equipment and shoes subjected to rugged outdoor use. It waterproofs by replenishing the tanning oils that dry out after repeated wetting and drying. Directions: Apply freely and work well into leather particularly seams and stitches. Wipe off excess after a few minutes. May darken certain leathers.

We used to heat our boots by putting them near a source of heat.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-12-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Wanna tackle the ADT next? lol http://www.discoverytrail.org/
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Wanna tackle the ADT next? lol http://www.discoverytrail.org/

Heh, I looked at that once as a possible "practice" trail (Missouri part only), but it ended up just being on the side of highways for the most part through Missouri. At least in Iowa they use the old train tracks.

Brad
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004

We used to heat our boots by putting them near a source of heat.

Heh, I was wondering more along the lines of, use a heat gun, and wait until the leather starts smoking, or the wife's hair dryer, and just get them warm.

Wizenimer

Brad
Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
Just pop them in the oven.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

I know I haven't updated in awhile here. I'm still working toward a goal of first step on the trail on February 1st 2012.

Lately it's the boring stuff, saving, and storing. I'm trying to figure out 6 months worth of food which is interesting. I have issues figuring out what I want for dinner on the day I am having it.

I did obtain a large bottle of concentrated Diazanon that I am going to dip all of my clothing in before I go. That should give me 4-6 months of protection from most ticks, and flying insects. I'm proud of the find since it was free.

My next "major" projects include;

• building a solar charger for a cell phone/gps, and whatever other things need charged with a USB.

• I'm debating on building a walking stick as opposed to buying an extendable one.

Until recently I was set on just buying a walking stick, until I heard a really good argument for making one, and all the "extras" I could build into it.
http://www.instructables.co...Converts-into-a-Cha/

I could also add a camera mount to the top, making a semi useable bipod.

And something I am just rolling around in my head.

http://www.instructables.co...ble-for-Backpacking/

And finally a little different twist on a stove like I made. I am still planning on using the one I made, it's more "heavy duty" and I think more durable. This one just caught my eye because it's a work of art in and of itself.
http://www.instructables.co...ottle-Alcohol-Stove/

Brad
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see this update. If you decide to build a solar charger, make sure the cells you use are heavy duty (durable) Might be worth it to buy one that's already built, or if you build your own, protect those cells! (they're fragile)

Good luck with your continuing journey, man.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 07-16-2011).]

Shananigans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShananigansSend a Private Message to ShananigansDirect Link to This Post
I would like to recommend this site to you and anyone else interested in survival. It's a great site and has lots of useful information that can help you with your endeavours.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Glad to see this update. If you decide to build a solar charger, make sure the cells you use are heavy duty (durable) Might be worth it to buy one that's already built, or if you build your own, protect those cells! (they're fragile)

Do you mean the solar cells? I'm planning on making a "case" for them, and mounting it on top of my pack, hopefully somewhat out of harms way. Would it be better to make a case and just pull them out when needed?

Brad
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
You should have them on your pack, if possible,just try to get the ones encased in epoxy or other durable material...
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Frankly, I wouldn't spend too much time messing with this kind of thing. You'll start out with way too much gear (everyone does) and you'll jettison half your stuff before the end of the first week. Once you get out and realize you have to hoof it 12-15 miles every day in order to make the next shelter, or even complete the trip in a sensible amount of time, you'll figure out that every GRAM matters. Of the AT through-hikers I've spoken to (and I'm talking about seasoned life-long hikers and backpackers) many of them didn't even carry a stove. A stove equals fuel, and a pot to cook in, and a spork, and extra water to cook with. At 8 pounds a gallon for water, you'll figure out cooking is unnecessary and will resort to power bars, dehydrated fruit, and beef jerky. Everyone does. ANd even if you *do* decide to carry a stove, I wouldn't waste my time with an alcohol stove. They are the "gadget of the month" that got started by a guy who built one out of a cat food tin. They are light, that's for sure, but they're also pretty much worthless in application. It takes forever to boil even a cup of water, and that's at sea level. Once you get up into a little altitude, I don't know if it would ever boil. If you want, we have a Whisperlight white fuel stove that we've been wanting to sell. I have the stove and a bottle. Or, get yourself a Jetboil. They are a little heavier than a Whisperlight, but man, those things will bring water to a boil in a skinny minute.
Aside from that, I don't know anyone who carried a GPS, and most considered a camera pretty much a waste after the first couple of days, as they were too busy making time to stop and take pictures. It'll be interesting to see how all this ends up for you.

If you want to get an idea of what AT hiking is like, I'll tell you this: I hate backpacking with people who have done the AT. They are so determined to make as many miles a day as they can, you never get to stop and enjoy the scenery. It's all about the miles for them. I can't stand marching through the woods simply trying to make the next camp site. I much prefer to take my time and enjoy the surroundings.

One last thing, if you want an unvarnished read about doing the AT, check out Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods". It's about his attempt to hike the AT with a friend. It's hilarious in places, but it's also non-fiction, and he doesn't sugar coat anything. He's pretty honest about how much it sucks.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 07-26-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

<snip>

On a related note I found out that my boots I got to "train" in are not actually waterproof as advertized. From what I am reading you have to pay a lot to get good waterproof boots, so I may just see about going with Jungle boots. If my feet are going to be wet, they may as well be able to dry out too.

Ideas?

Brad

Vasque. Arguably the best boots out there.

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Found this on CNN today... 12 things you may not have known about the Appalachian Trail...
CNN

The length of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail is constantly changing. In 2010 the Appalachian Trail was officially 2,179.1 miles long. This year it's 2,181. In 2004 it was 2,173.9. The added distance is due to upgrades and repairs. (Not because your group had to backtrack a half-day because one of you left the keys to the vehicle parked at the end of the section in the vehicle parked at the start of the section.) The Appalachian Trail stretches from Springer Mountain, in north Georgia, to Katahdin, in central Maine, crossing 14 states and five national parks. The route is marked by white blazes on trees, posts and rocks.

It's possible to hike the Appalachian Trail without a tent. There are more than 250 garage-size shelters "roughly a day's hike apart" along the length of the Appalachian Trail, according to Brian King of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, the nonprofit corporation that leads efforts to maintain the trail. That's a shelter about every 8 miles on average. They're free. So "thru-hikers," people who walk the full distance in a continuous hike, often leave the tent at home, saving as much as 5 pounds from their backpacks. That's good, because that "day's hike" can be up to 30 miles, since shelters are built near sources of fresh water, King said.

You won't see nearly as many animals as you'd expect. That's because most can hear, see or smell you long before you hear, see or smell them, and they'll flee. In the case of bears, wild pigs, raccoons and snakes, that's good. On hikes from Georgia through Connecticut, I have seen hundreds of birds, chipmunks and squirrels, spiders, a few deer, two wild turkeys as big as a washer and dryer, a wild pig, the backside of a bear running into the brush, and a rattlesnake lying across the trail warming itself in the morning sun. (Hint: It's less upsetting for all involved to hike around a timber rattler than to try to encourage it to move on by bouncing even a small stone off it.) Not wearing your glasses increases the number of animal sightings. But keep in mind that while without your glasses a tree stump can look like a bear, a bear also can look like a tree stump.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 08-08-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2011 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Thinking about this, I think I would attempt it with as little as possable.
I think I would just try to do it on food I could make or dehydrate myself (meat, vegatables, & fruit), a candle or 2, a lightweight sleeping bag or blanket, a small tarp, a few pencels, some paper, a canteen, a knife, some sort of flame, and whatever else few things else you need.

The old timers have done plenty more with plenty less.

Go lean, go wild, go pure.
nmw75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
If you decide against a tent I'd be sure to take along some mosquito netting. Many of the free shelters are nothing but 3 sided lean-to's. an open invite to the Mosquito's & Black fly's.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
The netting is a great idea...

Also, a VERY good supply of Pearson's Nut Rolls...

You'll need the salt and protein.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Frankly, I wouldn't spend too much time messing with this kind of thing. You'll start out with way too much gear (everyone does) and you'll jettison half your stuff before the end of the first week. Once you get out and realize you have to hoof it 12-15 miles every day in order to make the next shelter, or even complete the trip in a sensible amount of time, you'll figure out that every GRAM matters. Of the AT through-hikers I've spoken to (and I'm talking about seasoned life-long hikers and backpackers) many of them didn't even carry a stove. A stove equals fuel, and a pot to cook in, and a spork, and extra water to cook with. At 8 pounds a gallon for water, you'll figure out cooking is unnecessary and will resort to power bars, dehydrated fruit, and beef jerky. Everyone does. ANd even if you *do* decide to carry a stove, I wouldn't waste my time with an alcohol stove. They are the "gadget of the month" that got started by a guy who built one out of a cat food tin. They are light, that's for sure, but they're also pretty much worthless in application. It takes forever to boil even a cup of water, and that's at sea level. Once you get up into a little altitude, I don't know if it would ever boil. If you want, we have a Whisperlight white fuel stove that we've been wanting to sell. I have the stove and a bottle. Or, get yourself a Jetboil. They are a little heavier than a Whisperlight, but man, those things will bring water to a boil in a skinny minute.
Aside from that, I don't know anyone who carried a GPS, and most considered a camera pretty much a waste after the first couple of days, as they were too busy making time to stop and take pictures. It'll be interesting to see how all this ends up for you.

If you want to get an idea of what AT hiking is like, I'll tell you this: I hate backpacking with people who have done the AT. They are so determined to make as many miles a day as they can, you never get to stop and enjoy the scenery. It's all about the miles for them. I can't stand marching through the woods simply trying to make the next camp site. I much prefer to take my time and enjoy the surroundings.

One last thing, if you want an unvarnished read about doing the AT, check out Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods". It's about his attempt to hike the AT with a friend. It's hilarious in places, but it's also non-fiction, and he doesn't sugar coat anything. He's pretty honest about how much it sucks.

A lot to cover there. Thanks in advance for the info.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm going with a smart phone instead of carrying a book, maps (except for one page per area mailed to me in case of emergency), GPS, phone home, some communication when possible, and camera. I'm thinking that would be lighter.

My main concern with maps and GPS is during the winter when I start. I know there will be snow, some reports are 9+feet of drifts to hike through, I won't be able to easily navigate in a snowstorm, and a gps/phone would be handy IMHO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How much do you want for that whisperlight? I'll send a pm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm already dehydrating food for the trip, even if I drop the stove I will be able to soak the food for a bit to make it edible (relative term) again. I still can't wrap my head around these people that stop cooking, and eat everything raw. I was reading a trail journal a few weeks ago where they did that, and it seemed like they lost more comfort than they needed to. (just my opinion).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My plans for the hike change on almost a daily basis, my plan at this point is to get done, but enjoy the view a bit. I keep reading about all these people that didn't see a vista, or go to a nice spot because it was .08 miles away.

The way I see it if I was in a hurry I wouldn't be walking. I do have a loose schedule, but I'm going to try not to let that rule my life. I'm sure updates will include things like "Only went ____miles today, wanted to go ____ miles." But in the end I am planning on hiking, not camping, hunting, or staying in a motel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A Walk in the Woods" was a great read, it was disappointing that he didn't finish, but it was a great book.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I looked up Vasque, not bad. I'm going to go try out a few in the next couple of weeks. I am "taking" 3 pair or so. One style for the winter, and the snow, another for spring/summer, and my camp shoes. Of course I will only have the pair I will be wearing, and have the wife mail the next pair to me when I need them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Found this on CNN today... 12 things you may not have known about the Appalachian Trail...
CNN

The length of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail is constantly changing. In 2010 the Appalachian Trail was officially 2,179.1 miles long. This year it's 2,181. In 2004 it was 2,173.9. The added distance is due to upgrades and repairs. (Not because your group had to backtrack a half-day because one of you left the keys to the vehicle parked at the end of the section in the vehicle parked at the start of the section.) The Appalachian Trail stretches from Springer Mountain, in north Georgia, to Katahdin, in central Maine, crossing 14 states and five national parks. The route is marked by white blazes on trees, posts and rocks.

It's possible to hike the Appalachian Trail without a tent. There are more than 250 garage-size shelters "roughly a day's hike apart" along the length of the Appalachian Trail, according to Brian King of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, the nonprofit corporation that leads efforts to maintain the trail. That's a shelter about every 8 miles on average. They're free. So "thru-hikers," people who walk the full distance in a continuous hike, often leave the tent at home, saving as much as 5 pounds from their backpacks. That's good, because that "day's hike" can be up to 30 miles, since shelters are built near sources of fresh water, King said.

You won't see nearly as many animals as you'd expect. That's because most can hear, see or smell you long before you hear, see or smell them, and they'll flee. In the case of bears, wild pigs, raccoons and snakes, that's good. On hikes from Georgia through Connecticut, I have seen hundreds of birds, chipmunks and squirrels, spiders, a few deer, two wild turkeys as big as a washer and dryer, a wild pig, the backside of a bear running into the brush, and a rattlesnake lying across the trail warming itself in the morning sun. (Hint: It's less upsetting for all involved to hike around a timber rattler than to try to encourage it to move on by bouncing even a small stone off it.) Not wearing your glasses increases the number of animal sightings. But keep in mind that while without your glasses a tree stump can look like a bear, a bear also can look like a tree stump.

I'm doing what is called a "stealth hike". The shelters are nice to have, and have their good qualities, but I think you and I have the same issues when around groups of people, especially strangers. I will just hike until I am ready to stop, and set up camp their (off the trail, and where people won't bother me too much). I will use the shelters from time to time, but I am not going to use them to set my schedule.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glasses I may consider wearing lol I debated on my hearing aids, until a member on another site reminded me that hearing things in the woods can be beneficial to living. (I know that there have been very few deaths on the AT over the years, and none that I know of from animal attacks)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by nmw75:

If you decide against a tent I'd be sure to take along some mosquito netting. Many of the free shelters are nothing but 3 sided lean-to's. an open invite to the Mosquito's & Black fly's.

I'm changing between a tent and a hammock. The tent for colder weather, to give me decent shelter. The Hammock to save weight, and provide comfort once it gets above freezing, then the tent again through a section called the "Whites", and then the hammock for the rest due to constant flooding. Both will be in my "bounce box" that I mail ahead of myself along with soap, general repair items, medications, and assorted stuff.

Brad

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by Synthesis:

The netting is a great idea...

Also, a VERY good supply of Pearson's Nut Rolls...

You'll need the salt and protein.

But they said the local mountain men would give me all the protein I could handle...

Brad
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

But they said the local mountain men would give me all the protein I could handle...

Brad

Salty, too! (From what I hear!)

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-08-2011).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Brad

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 08-08-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
How I plan on getting/moving items I need on the hike.

Hiking for 2,000 miles it is not feasable to carry everything you may need all the time.

I am looking for a "dry weight" of around 20 pounds on my pack, that's the weight of shelter, clothing, various toiletries, first aid, kitchen (not counting food), and electronics.

A person would be surprised at just how fast the weight adds up. I am not surprised that people cut the ounces at every possible chance, you really feel each one when you carry it all the time.

In my pack I will be carrying (not the official list)

• Water filter
  • Water bag
  • Water bottles (3) (used soda bottles)
  • Stove
  • Fuel for Stove
  • Pot to cook in
  • Some form of cooking/eating utensil.
  • 2 Pair of pants (wearing another pair. Military bdu's unless I find better soon.)
  • 3 shirts, 2 short sleeve, one long sleeve. (polyester and light)
  • 1 pair of long underwear, top and bottom
  • 3 Pair of socks, polyester
  • Frog Togs, (waterproof jacket and pants, also lightweight)
  • Tent or hammock depending on area/weather.
  • Sleeping pad, and moisture barrier for tent (tent only)
  • Sleeping bag/blanket
  • Small container of soap for washing pan, bathing, and laundry.
  • Duck tape, ace bandage, first aid stuff. (most of this I think I have figured out how to put in/around my hiking poles saving weight in the pack)
  • Small towel for bathing.
  • Crocs for camp shoes.

Currently I have many of these things already in my pack, and I am scaring the crap out of 25 pounds. I'm changing items out as I get them, and trying to make it all work long before I leave out, and hoping that helps me get down to just the bare needed items. I still need Frog Togs (rain gear) and a few other things, but I have the major stuff. The weight difference between the hammock and tent I have is 3 pounds .

I am building a "bounce box" the bounce box is a flat rate USPS package that you put all your most needed stuff in.

I will mail it to myself in the next town I plan on being in. In it will be refills on medication, bandages, camping supplies that are not easy to come by (or cheap) including a tent or hammock depending on the season, thread, needle, second cell charger/ battery if possible, clothing such as socks, an extra pair of pants, shirts etc.

On top of this my wife will (should) have extra needed supplies for emergencies, extra clothing, shoes, tarp, and other assorted things that she can also mail to me if needed.

Food.

Food is also mailed to me. Some people just resupply in local towns, but I think that gets too expensive. I am drying different foods myself, and getting menus together so that every day I will have at least a basic meal or two. I plan on mailing around 14 days in each package, but that will vary from place to place depending on post offices, and hiking speed.

I am building the food packages like I posted earlier, but am adding a few items. (taking a note from the MRE's) I'm adding daily vitamins, a small amount of TP, single use soap (in some), and other necessities such as a disposable toothbrush or whatever else I can come up with that saves me overall weight, but still keeps me healthy. Some items will be random (but close to evenly spaced) while others will be daily. All of this I need to have ready before I leave, but opened so that my wife can make needed changes if she has to. (food sealed of course) .

Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 08-08-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004
Something else I have been trying to do is make everything I carry a multi-use item.

For instance my rain suit is also used to keep me warm in cold weather. I can wear everything I have in my pack, and even use my rain fly for my tent or hammock as a layer. But other times I may need to use the jacket to stay dry, but I won't need to warm up, I should be able to "vent" it and stay semi dry in the rain when it's warmer without overheating.

Duck tape is probably the most versatile item I am taking, as it does everything from cover blisters, to repair tears in the tent, and clothing. It can even be used to make a canoe (as seen on Dual Survivor).

I haven't done anything even remotely like this before, so I'm learning as I go, and trying my best to use common sense, and learn from the mistakes of others.

Any advise is welcome. I know a few of you have done some hiking, and I'm curious as to what you have to say. Read the lists I have, and advise me on what I need to change. I'll consider everything, and try to be as open minded as possible.

Brad
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I've previously expressed a few things, but will add that you need to re-evaluate your clothes.

Stay away from cotton, period. Spend the money on some zip-off hiking pants. You can find them dirt cheap on some of the overstock camping sites like Sierra Trading post. Hiking pants dry very fast. Same with shirts, avoid cotton like the plague, it gets heavy with sweat, and takes forever to dry. You also will want a good quality fleece. Don't chince out on that. Spend the bucks and get a good one, a name brand like Patagonia or Mountain Hardware. It'll serve a number of purposes, including something to sleep in on really cold nights. And you want it to dry quickly as well, cheap ones will have materials that will hold moisture.

Most people wear two pairs of socks, a very thin "liner sock under a heavy wool sock. If you do this you have to get boots sized accordingly. You may also want a pair of "camp shoes", Crocs seem to be the shoe of choice these days for that purpose. They're comfy and light, they just look really stupid.

The rain gear is probably another place to not cheap out too much- the pants aren't so important, but your shell can be a miserable thing if it's not a good one. It should be light weight, have sealed seams, and pit and/or rib vents. It should shed moisture from inside out, or it will become a sauna making you more miserable than not wearing any rain gear at all. I had a cheap one, wore it once or twice, and went right out and sprang for a Mountain Hardware shell. Best thing I ever did in that regard.

Look into bag liners. A bag liner is a lightweight liner that will help keep your sleeping bag clean. There are a few different kinds of liners, silk, insulating, etc. They are great to sleep in on hot nights when it's too hot to be in your bag, can help improve the insulation factor of your bag on cold nights, and most important, you can pull it out and wash it in a stream on the trail, which will keep your bag from getting so funkified you can't stand it.

There's a lot more I could add, but I'll throw in this one last thing. Hygiene is a problem, especially tending to your, uhm, junk. Trust me when I tell you, there is nothing that will kill your trip faster than getting crotch-rot. Walking along with your sack feeling like it's roasting over a campfire, or getting a burning rash is one of the worst experiences you can possible imagine on the trail. There is simply no escape from it on the trail.
In order to Avoid this, get yourself a large zip-lock bag with a flat bottom (they're kind of hard to find) and a decent camp towel. Cut off some of the towel to use as a wash cloth. Also get some camp soap, Dr. Bonner's is the best, it's completely organic and bio-degradable. First thing when you get to camp and set up your tent, duck in for some man-time. Used the zip-lock as a small tub and give yourself a good bath, paying particular attention to your junk. Dry off, and finish up with some Gold Bond. Trust me, this is no bull.

I'll try to add some more later if you're interested, but you should really look at those things closely. If you decide to ignore any part of what I'm saying, I can't possibly stress strongly enough that you NOT ignore the part about the daily bath.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 08-08-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to break this into parts.

I've previously expressed a few things, but will add that you need to re-evaluate your clothes.

Stay away from cotton, period. Spend the money on some zip-off hiking pants. You can find them dirt cheap on some of the overstock camping sites like Sierra Trading post. Hiking pants dry very fast. Same with shirts, avoid cotton like the plague, it gets heavy with sweat, and takes forever to dry. You also will want a good quality fleece. Don't chince out on that. Spend the bucks and get a good one, a name brand like Patagonia or Mountain Hardware. It'll serve a number of purposes, including something to sleep in on really cold nights. And you want it to dry quickly as well, cheap ones will have materials that will hold moisture.

I agree. The shirts I already have are Polyester, and I am working on the pants now. I was aiming for the BDU's because they seemed well suited for military in similar conditions. I shall look up hiking pants.

I forgot fleece, where would be a good place to look that up, and do you have any suggestions?

Most people wear two pairs of socks, a very thin "liner sock under a heavy wool sock. If you do this you have to get boots sized accordingly. You may also want a pair of "camp shoes", Crocs seem to be the shoe of choice these days for that purpose. They're comfy and light, they just look really stupid.

Socks I think I am covered on, and when Dad died I inherited his Crocks that I had made fun of for years. I wear them regularly, and will be taking a pair as my camp shoes. I need to add that to the list.

The rain gear is probably another place to not cheap out too much- the pants aren't so important, but your shell can be a miserable thing if it's not a good one. It should be light weight, have sealed seams, and pit and/or rib vents. It should shed moisture from inside out, or it will become a sauna making you more miserable than not wearing any rain gear at all. I had a cheap one, wore it once or twice, and went right out and sprang for a Mountain Hardware shell. Best thing I ever did in that regard.

Already planning on Frog Togs, they seem to be of good quality, and I tried on a few different pairs at Academy here before the tornado took it. They also have a strong following of AT thru hikers.

Look into bag liners. A bag liner is a lightweight liner that will help keep your sleeping bag clean. There are a few different kinds of liners, silk, insulating, etc. They are great to sleep in on hot nights when it's too hot to be in your bag, can help improve the insulation factor of your bag on cold nights, and most important, you can pull it out and wash it in a stream on the trail, which will keep your bag from getting so funkified you can't stand it.

This is one I am looking for, but can't seem to find for "inexpensive". I'm debating on just making one since it shouldn't be too difficult.

There's a lot more I could add, but I'll throw in this one last thing. Hygiene is a problem, especially tending to your, uhm, junk. Trust me when I tell you, there is nothing that will kill your trip faster than getting crotch-rot. Walking along with your sack feeling like it's roasting over a campfire, or getting a burning rash is one of the worst experiences you can possible imagine on the trail. There is simply no escape from it on the trail.
In order to Avoid this, get yourself a large zip-lock bag and a decent camp towel. Cut off some of the towel to use as a wash cloth. Also get some camp soap, Dr. Bonner's is the best, it's completely organic and bio-degradable. First thing when you get to camp and set up your tent, duck in for some man-time. Used the zip-lock as a small tub and give yourself a good bath, paying particular attention to your junk. Dry off, and finish up with some Gold Bond. Trust me, this is no bull.

Pack gold bond, got it. (everything else was on the list)

I'll try to add some more later if you're interested, but you should really look at those things closely. If you decide to ignore any part of what I'm saying, I can't possibly stress strongly enough that you NOT ignore the part about the daily bath.

Thanks, keep updating.
Brad
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Walking along with your sack feeling like it's roasting over a campfire, or getting a burning rash is one of the worst experiences you can possible imagine on the trail.

You get used to the burn after about a week.
The smell takes a little longer....
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

You get used to the burn after about a week.
The smell takes a little longer....

Shudder. I go out for a couple of days, and if I don't keep myself really clean, I pay for it for a week. And yeah, the discomfort is bad enough, but holy hell, the funk in the tent when you pull your britches off just seem to permeate the very fibers of the tent. Yucky.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Taijiguy

12198 posts
Member since Jul 99

I'll have to break this into parts.

Thanks, keep updating.
Brad

Just a quick response to get you thinking. Will try to throw out more later.

Polyester isn't generally enough. I like Under Armor. It dries very fast, and doesn't tend to stink to high heaven even after being worn a few times. The pants can be picked up from any online outfitter. We really like Sierra Trading Post. Their inventory is kind of hit or miss, as they do clearance stuff. But you can really score on those websites once in a while. Check them out for the bag liners too. Don't bother trying to make one, they aren't that expensive. I think mine was about 50 bucks, and weighs almost nothing. I stuff it with my bag and you'd never know it was there. Sea to Summit is a great brand, the Reactor is the one I have, weighs 9 oz with the stuff sack (which I don't use) http://www.campmor.com/outd...gear/Product___83036

I wasn't familiar with Frog Togs, but I'll tell you, I'm always suspicious of online sellers who claim to sell items for backpacking, but don't list the weight. Go to REI, Seirra, or one of the other several other online outlets and look for Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Black Diamond, etc. The places that specialize in this stuff will always list the weight. I suspect the stuff you're looking at it will be extremely heavy, which is unnecessary for quality rain gear. My first (cheap) rain shell probably weighed over a pound, my Mountain Hardware weighs about 10 ounces. A very quick search on Campmor turned up this Marmot shell, at 13 oz. http://www.campmor.com/outd...gear/Product___53407

Oh yeah, forget the recycled soda bottles. They'll only be good for a few days and they'll develop bacteria. Plus if they freeze, you're screwed. Invest in a couple of Nalgene bottles. They aren't super expensive and they can be frozen and not explode. You can pour hot water in them and put them in the foot of your sleeping bag on cold nights (speaking of sleeping bags, get one that has a foot vent, you can thank me later)

More later.....

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 08-08-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

The Frogg Toggs (I think that's the proper way of spelling it) weigh in between 11and 14 ounces for both the jacket and pants together from what I am finding.

They have been around for quite awhile, are very durable, and waterproof, yet breathable and light. The put up with some decent abuse, but will need duck tape on the seat if you constantly sit in them on rocks (learned from reviews not actual experience).

They also run a lot less money wise than the other types, usually 20-40 dollars per pant/jacket set depending on the type.

http://froggtoggsoutlet.com/dridutrpakra.html There is one I am looking at.

Brad
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I would still be skeptical about the rain gear. You might want to see if there's a place you can look at them and try them on. That's VERY cheap for good rain gear. I've found in backpack/hiking that the price of a product is inversely proportional to its weight. If they really are that good and light, then I would probably like to check them out.

On the smartphone, you may want to take it out on a trial run before relying on it for nav if that's going to be important to you. I tried my droid as a GPS on our last trip, a 30 mile jaunt around Dolly Sods in eastern WV. And it sucked big time. I used an app called "Back Country" which was about as highly rated as anything I could find (yes it's a pay app, fortunately they have a trial period which I took advantage of) and it was awful. First off, the GPS seldom got a satellite lock (and we were on the top of the mountains in this area) I suspect the canopy was the biggest problem for the phone. I just don't think the GPS features are designed for that kind of use and have pretty lame GPS reception in general. I would also question the likelihood of there being cell service along much of the route. Again, we were at one of the highest points in WV on that trip, and I only had cell service once, in a very open clearing, and it was iffy. Basically, I carried a 12 ounce paperweight on that trip.

If I recall, on a trip a couple of years ago through 50 miles of the AT in Virginia, Lori never had cell service once.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered section hiking it? Or maybe, setting out to do a specific section first, just to get some experience, and then going back and finishing it later on, once you have some trail savvy?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
May I say something about cell phones with GPS apps.

First off, it is a dam cell phone and great in the city but not in the country. Fewer cell towers. And with fewer cell towers the phone ain’t going to work. The gps works off cell towers not GPS satellites. So why would it work in the woods with no cell service?

A good satellite phone with GPS isn’t that much more expensive than what you guys are paying for your new fangled phones.

http://www.satphone.com/sat...satellite-phone.html

Now I could be wrong, I was, once I think but I could be wrong, then in that case this would be a first.

But when you get out of cell phone range why would you even think that a cell phone would work with a GPS app?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock