Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Anybody heard of Hi-Point firearms? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Anybody heard of Hi-Point firearms? by jimbolaya
Started on: 02-15-2011 12:21 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: Nurb432 on 02-17-2011 08:21 AM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Found a Hi-Point brand hand gun in a pawn shop, but I had not heard of the brand. I googled it and came up with their web site.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms...s/handguns_40sw.html

As you can see their prices are insanely low. $$199.95 for a .45 ACP or .40 S&W, $165 for a 9mm, and $140 for a .380ACP! What am I missing? These prices are insanely low. Are these guns crap? Do they blow up in your face? If this is for real, I think I just found my next 4 handguns, but I can't bring myself to accept this. That's why I brought it before you guys. I held the .380 at the Pawn shop. Nice size for carry, lightweight, good balance, and felt good in my hand. Am I dreaming?

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Some parts of their guns are made from weaker-then-steel zinc-alloy.

Hi-Point Firearms, also known as Beemiller (Distributed by MKS Supply), is a firearms manufacturer based in Mansfield, Ohio. However only the CF.380, C9 9 mm, & the carbines are made in Mansfield. They manufacture low-cost pistols and carbines, in the following calibers:

.380 ACP - Model CF-380 and 380COMP
9 mm Luger - C-9 and C-9 COMP pistols,
9mm-Model 995, .40S&W-model 4095, and the .45 ACP-model 4595 carbine

The following are manufactured by Iberia Firearms
.40 S&W - Model 40SW pistol

The following are manufactured by Haskell Manufacturing
.45 ACP - Model 45ACP pistol

Hi-Point semi-automatic pistols are polymer-framed and generally regarded as simple, inexpensive handguns, which trade-off aesthetics for lower manufacturing cost. Based on a blowback design, Hi-Point pistols do not have a breech-locking system like most handguns. Instead they have large, heavy slides that hold the breech closed through sheer mass. The result is a heavier gun that is bulkier and may be less aesthetically appealing than designs employing recoil operation. Pistols that use a blowback action in the calibers that Hi-Point firearms are chambered for are somewhat rare. While making the pistols heavy, this design also makes them mechanically simple and easy to maintain. HiPoint recommends hosing out the action with a powder solvent like breakfree powderblast or another aerosol solvent, then every 500-800 rounds running a patch or 2 down the barrel.

Most self-loading pistols can be field-stripped without the use of any tools. However, Hi-Point pistols require a punch or a small screwdriver to remove a pin in the receiver, in order to permit slide removal (and thus enable field-stripping). Hi-Point products generally retail for one-half to one-quarter the cost of a comparably chambered gun from most other manufacturers.

The slide is die cast from a zinc-family alloy that includes aluminum, magnesium, and copper and is called zamak-3, rather than machined from forged steel. When asked why die-casting was chosen as a manufacturing technique, a Hi-Point representative responded, "In the area of Ohio where we are located, there are many shops that specialize in die casting for the auto industry. We utilize this resource."Uncommon for this construction, they are rated for +P ammunition in calibers up to .45 ACP. Blowback designs are generally simpler and easier to produce than locked-breech recoil-operated firearms. Though the fixed barrel generally will contribute to improved accuracy, blowback guns often are larger and heavier for a given caliber.

Hi-Point carbines use a polymer stock, stamped sheet metal receiver cover, and a receiver and bolt cast from zamak-3. The barrel is steel and button rifled using a 1-10" right hand twist. They are also blowback action, which is typically well suited to a low-pressure carbine.

Hi-Point carbines have a generally better overall reputation than the pistol line, although the pistol line has been gaining popularity as of late, and are fairly popular with budget-minded firearms enthusiasts.[citation needed]

Some people are wary of Hi-Points because of the use of zinc alloy (zamak-3) castings in much of their construction. However, parts made from zamak-3 in Hi-Point guns (receiver and bolt/slide) are low-stress components that do not require the strength and expense of steel. Higher stress components in Hi-Points, like the barrel and other small parts, are made of steel.

I would say these are guns you throw in a drawer as stand-bys, probibly never getting used.
Or for someone who wants a gun "just in case", but will probibly never shoot it.
If I remember right, I had one (9mm) and it was big, heavy, clunky, and suprisingly very acurate.
The weight also cut back on recoil quite a bit.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 02-15-2011).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
http://www.thehighroad.org/...f275ed271418d&t=2325

First thing that came up. I have never owned or fired one.
If you can get the chance to fire a clip full in one, then you can make your own choice. Us we carry Glocks, never had a stove pipe, or jam of any kind. But I don’t think the Glock has a lifetime warranty.

But I have to wonder how good they are.
Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-15-2011).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
I had a HI-Point .380 for a long time that my dad got me for my 18th b-day, and that thing was HEAVY. It had a polymer grip, but everything else was steel or iron. And with a flash suppressor, it was physically bigger than my dad's 1911. BUT, it was reliable, would feed anything and was fairly accurate to about 25 yds. Breakdown was a PITA, but is really unnecessary after every outing unless you're shooting dirty ammo. My step-dad had a 9mm HI-Point and it looked and felt identical to my .380 with the only difference being that his didn't have the flash suppressor, and the mags between the 9mm and the .380 are 100% interchangeable, so we had to be careful not to get them mixed up. I would buy another in a heart beat if I could afford it, but this time I'd go with the 9mm instead of the .380

Edit to add: I had mine for the better part of 7 years and put in excess of 6K rounds (no less than 150 rds every weekend)

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 02-15-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Been reading the web site. It does have a Lifetime warranty, and at $165 for a 9mm, it just seems too good of a deal to pass up. I would use it as a carry weapon, and would only shoot it occasionally at the range. I also saw a used Glock23 .40 S&W with night sights for $389. This is the brand I was actually in the shop looking for. I like the reputation and features. I thought this was a decent price, but of course there is no warranty, it is used, and is twice the price of a new Hi-Point.

Jim
IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIERODirect Link to This Post
They are huge and fairly unreliable. I wouldn't mind one of the carbines, however.
If I was buying one to screw around with, I wouldn't mind one, but for carry, no thanks.

Get a Makarov in 9x18 or a AMT .380 for solid, dependable cheap pocket guns
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
I have fired a friend's Hi-Point 9mm carbine. In a 10 round magazine, it would misfeed 3 rounds. From what I can gather from various forums, they are sensitive to ammunition manufacturers. Once you find ammunition that will feed, they seem to shoot ok. They are heavy.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I would NOT use the Hi-Point as a carry.
They are large, heavy, & blocky.
Go for a namebrand for carry.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 02-15-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep em coming. I'm looking for comments about reliabilty more than anything. I wouldn't want anything that's finicky with ammo, and jams often. I can deal with that in a .22 for plinking and practice, but not in a carry weapon.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 02-15-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Everyone keeps saying large, and I didn't think so. I did feel the extra weight, but the size did not seem overwhelmingly big to me.

Jim

On an unrelated note, when I do spellcheck, it offers "bondage" as an alternative to Boondawg. Just sayin.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IROCTAFIERO:

They are huge and fairly unreliable. I wouldn't mind one of the carbines, however.
If I was buying one to screw around with, I wouldn't mind one, but for carry, no thanks.

Get a Makarov in 9x18 or a AMT .380 for solid, dependable cheap pocket guns

Unreliable? I had less than 10 misfeeds in 7 years with mine, and I fired every brand of .380 ammo I could get my hands on. My favorite for plinking at the range was Bear, and at under $20/box it was affordable.

I had a Makarov for about 2 months and it would only feed Remington ammo and even then it was stove-piping every 5th round. I've never had an AMT so I can't comment on those.
PFF
System Bot
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Jim, read this before you decide.

Hi-Point review
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:
On an unrelated note, when I do spellcheck, it offers "bondage" as an alternative to Boondawg. Just sayin.

Sounds about right.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

This from a dog rescuer whose determination may well be in question. YMMV.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

This from a dog rescuer whose determination may well be in question. YMMV.

Call me cupcake, then bite me.
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangDirect Link to This Post

Been reading the web site. It does have a Lifetime warranty, and at $165 for a 9mm, it just seems too good of a deal to pass up. I would use it as a carry weapon, and would only shoot it occasionally at the range. I also saw a used Glock23 .40 S&W with night sights for $389. This is the brand I was actually in the shop looking for. I like the reputation and features. I thought this was a decent price, but of course there is no warranty, it is used, and is twice the price of a new Hi-Point.

Jim

I wouldn't want to use one as a carry weapon but honestly I would suggest that you get one anyways. For the price you don't have much to lose. Buy one and put at least 1000 rounds through it at the range. If you're happy with it after that and you're willing to trust your life to it then I don't see any problem using it as a carry weapon as long as you're comfortable with it too. If not then you have a nice plinker for the price.

EDIT: Another reason I would suggest this is that reviews for Hi-Point are mixed. Maybe it's the people, maybe its the ammo, or maybe it's the individual weapons. Whatever the case, you'll find out for yourself what you think and you don't stand to lose much doing it.

[This message has been edited by GraterFang (edited 02-15-2011).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
If you are planning on carrying it, then how much is your life and/or families life worth? My next pistol will be a S&W M&P.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GraterFang:

I wouldn't want to use one as a carry weapon but honestly I would suggest that you get one anyways. For the price you don't have much to lose. Buy one and put at least 1000 rounds through it at the range. If you're happy with it after that and you're willing to trust your life to it then I don't see any problem using it as a carry weapon as long as you're comfortable with it too. If not then you have a nice plinker for the price.

EDIT: Another reason I would suggest this is that reviews for Hi-Point are mixed. Maybe it's the people, maybe its the ammo, or maybe it's the individual weapons. Whatever the case, you'll find out for yourself what you think and you don't stand to lose much doing it.

This is really where I am at mentally right now. Good post. I don't think it's a good idea for a carry weapon. I was hypnotized by the price, and I agree, for the price, it's good enough to add to the collection, which currently only stands at 2 right now. . I'll have to see what the wife says. Yea I know, I'm pistol whipped.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 02-15-2011).]

zetabird

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
my stepdad has the 9 and 45 pistols and my next buy is the 9 mill carbine in the next few weeks, i noticed that he had issues with the 45 jamming every few rounds, so i took it and fired it and it never jamed, i read that if you dont have a firm grip on them the slide dosent move forward right and it jams, after he had is carpiltunle surgery he never had a problem with it, and they are lifetime warranted so if its not right send it back and they will fix it.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

If you are planning on carrying it, then how much is your life and/or families life worth? My next pistol will be a S&W M&P.

I'm back to the idea of the Glock for a carry weapon. I've come back to my senses.

Jim

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Jimbo, I'd say go for the hi point. Nothing wrong with them at all. Hell, the lifetime no questions warranty is worth the price alone.

As for the above comment of buying a Makarov or AMT instead of a hi point? Ignore it. I've owned both a FEG Makarov, and it would only shoot Fiocchi branded ammo semi reliably (American Eagle ammo was about the same, bit less reliable maybe, everything else shot like crap), and an AMT in .45ACP. Talk about heavy guns? The AMT in .380 alone will outweigh a hi point 9mm. Currently own a Hi Point 9mm carbine, and love the thing. Sure, it is a bit finicky about ammo, but like any other gun Ive owned and shot, it'll shoot almost anything I throw at it (works best with 127gr Winchester NATO ammo).

So, for the price and the lifetime no questions warranty (applies if you are first owner or fifteenth owner, no questions asked), my money is on the hi point. And they are completely manufactured in the US.

Don't let the naysayers fool you. Hi Point is a decent quality gun. They get a bad rap because they are so cheap to buy brand new.
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

<snip>

Thanks for your oppinion. I think you guys are talking me into it. I still have to wait 2 more weeks to purchase though. I just bought a hand gun on Jan 28th.

Jim
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for your oppinion. I think you guys are talking me into it. I still have to wait 2 more weeks to purchase though. I just bought a hand gun on Jan 28th.

Jim

Any time Glad I could be of assistance

I'd say if you were closer you could come with me to the range to shoot the carbine but...

One more thing to note: If you decide in the future that you want one of the carbines: Buy the 40 cal handgun and the 40 cal carbine. Reason being is if you decide to go with the carbine, the 40 cal handgun mags are interchangeable to the 40 cal carbine. This isn't possible with the 9mm or the 45 (in either carbine or handgun).
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
I had one of their 9mm carbines that i beat the crap out of one summer. I bought it for a plinker for something to do while i was camping up north. Served it's purpose and never jammed. Started to get it to bump-fire till i had to leave.

What i can tell you of the carbine may or may not apply for their pistols but even though it felt cheap in the hand it was pretty impressive for the price. No jam, no overheat clip after clip in a row. Fairly accurate too. I sold it when i got back home cause i have nowhere to shoot. wish i still had it.

Edit: wanted to add i was firing BS walmart ammo. Federal if i remember correctly. not sure of the grain but it was dirty.

[This message has been edited by Finally_Mine_86_GT (edited 02-15-2011).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Great guns really Only thing I have to ***** about is the single stack mags. Although considering how large the frames on the handguns are already and the weights, it would take a complete redesign of the gun to make it work with double stacks. The carbine would be somewhat easier I'd think...
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Hi-points are kind of like AKs in reputation. They are dead reliable, and go bang everytime. However people who spend more money on firearms tend to look down on them. Kind of like corvette owners to fiero owners. Yes, the Glock is nicer, but they both do the job.

Hi-point has the best warranty in the industry. The gun is warrantied as long as it exist period, you can be the 150th owner.
They are straight blowback guns, thats why they are heavy and blocky. The blowback design is probably the most reliable semi auto action, but they do tend to be heavy.
I don't like that the pistols don't have a slide release and require that you remove a pin to remove the slide, I don't like the single stack mags, and I don't like the cheap fit/feel of a highpoint. Accuracy is alright and I would trust my life to a high point before I trusted it to a cheap 1911. A lot less to go wrong.
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Hi-points are kind of like AKs in reputation. They are dead reliable, and go bang everytime. However people who spend more money on firearms tend to look down on them. Kind of like corvette owners to fiero owners. Yes, the Glock is nicer, but they both do the job.

I'm not so sure about that. I've never owned one myself but I know several people who own Hi-Points. Some of happy with them and others hate them. They can be reliable or they can be completely unreliable. Its just luck of the draw. My father couldn't get his to go more than a mag without some kind of failure and thats after they sent him parts/new mags and he even sent it in once for service. Never did run right. Could you get one that runs perfect? Sure. But odds of getting one that doesn't run right is much, much higher than if you were to buy a Glock or XD.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Had a cool experience just now. I went to the range and guess what the guy next to me was shooting? A Hi Point 9mm Carbine! We talked for a few, and he loves the carbine. After shooting, I went inside to the store and looked at their Hi Point pistols. THEY ARE HUGE! I have a feeling the one I was looking over at the Pawn shop, was not actually a Hi Point. They are very heavy, as mentioned. My wife held it, and instantly said "not interested" (about the hi point that is ) My gun shop was actually selling the .40 for $159, and the .45 for $169. The sales guy reinforced what zetabird said, you have to have a strong stance and a locked arm or it won't work. Because it is an automatic blow-back pistol, it needs that resistance to shoot properly. I've made up my my mind. It's big, it's heavy, it's ugly, it's cheap, and I want one. I will not carry it, nor use it as a home defense weapon. No, this one is for sheer fun. I'm gonna get one of those carbines too. Thanks for your input guys. Watch out Mike Gonzales, I'm gonna catch you in weapon count.

Jim
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2011 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

It's big, it's heavy, it's ugly,

You'll have to excuse me, I don't get many "told ya" moments in life.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Had a cool experience just now. I went to the range and guess what the guy next to me was shooting? A Hi Point 9mm Carbine! We talked for a few, and he loves the carbine. After shooting, I went inside to the store and looked at their Hi Point pistols. THEY ARE HUGE! I have a feeling the one I was looking over at the Pawn shop, was not actually a Hi Point. They are very heavy, as mentioned. My wife held it, and instantly said "not interested" (about the hi point that is ) My gun shop was actually selling the .40 for $159, and the .45 for $169. The sales guy reinforced what zetabird said, you have to have a strong stance and a locked arm or it won't work. Because it is an automatic blow-back pistol, it needs that resistance to shoot properly. I've made up my my mind. It's big, it's heavy, it's ugly, it's cheap, and I want one. I will not carry it, nor use it as a home defense weapon. No, this one is for sheer fun. I'm gonna get one of those carbines too. Thanks for your input guys. Watch out Mike Gonzales, I'm gonna catch you in weapon count.

Jim

Jim,

The Hi Point pistol you saw at the pawn shop was probably their newer, smaller C-9 model The guy at the range probably had the full size 9mm. The C-9 runs anywhere from $169-$219 depending on how much the shop charges for mark up. Used they can be had for right around $100-$120.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Jim,

The Hi Point pistol you saw at the pawn shop was probably their newer, smaller C-9 model The guy at the range probably had the full size 9mm. .

Yeah, I had the older, full size. It did not look as sleek as the ones at the website.
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

You'll have to excuse me, I don't get many "told ya" moments in life.

Glad I could be there for ya.

Jim

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
Had a .380 and a .40 Hi-Point.

The .380 was reliable and easy enough to handle, was large and heavy.

The .40 was problematic with anything but round ball FMJ, was not happy with it but it functioned reliabley given the ammo limitation.

Would I buy again? Probably a .380 or 9mm as a cheap truck/trunk gun.

Prefer my KelTec P11's with S&W model 59 mags.

------------------
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem, work hard to improve.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Glad I could be there for ya.

Jim

Thank you.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
I have had their compensated 9mm for at least 10 years. Its cheap, heavy, huge ( is there an echo in here? ) and ugly, but when i was still taking it to the range on weekends it NEVER had a problem, and i have never bothered to clean it ... Life time warranty, USA made.. Now all that said, I would never carry it due to size/weight but don't have any concern storing it in a convenient place in the living room 'just in case'.

Most everyone loves their carbines .. I have one of them too. ( got mine back when they were under 100, with accessories )

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 02-15-2011).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Most everyone loves their carbines .. I have one of them too. ( got mine back when they were under 100, with accessories )

Never thought of you as one to gloat, Nurb.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Never thought of you as one to gloat, Nurb.

nah, was just trying to directly avoid saying it was a LONG time ago.. birthday is coming up later this week and hate to be reminded of my age.

a 'i can remember when gas was only 40 cents.. ' sort of event

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 02-15-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by brandon87gt:

I'm not so sure about that. I've never owned one myself but I know several people who own Hi-Points. Some of happy with them and others hate them. They can be reliable or they can be completely unreliable. Its just luck of the draw. My father couldn't get his to go more than a mag without some kind of failure and thats after they sent him parts/new mags and he even sent it in once for service. Never did run right. Could you get one that runs perfect? Sure. But odds of getting one that doesn't run right is much, much higher than if you were to buy a Glock or XD.

I mentioned they have lifetime warranties, THEY WILL FIX ALL ISSUES and usually throw in a free mag. Not all AKs are perfect out of the box especially with the century monkies. Your father needs to speak to somebody in charge, I have never heard of hi-point not fixing a problem even if they have to rebuild the whole gun. They have rebuilt rusted yard sale guns for people. Googling the hi point warranty service brings up a multitude of information and googling hi point brings up a mix of reviews, but you quickly see the bad reviews come from people whom have never owned the gun or have never given the factory a chance to make it right.

I have owned several hi points in the past, they are big, bulky, ugly, and cheap. They always went bang.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 02-15-2011).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

I have owned several hi points in the past, they are big, bulky, ugly, and cheap. They always went bang.

Good things in a gun: probably some other things, too.

brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
Moot point, he sold it a few months ago. I know they will fix it but they already had one opportunity and he was tired of fiddling with it. He may have actually sent it back twice, I don't remember.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock