Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Earth to have two suns?! Maybe. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Earth to have two suns?! Maybe. by Raydar
Started on: 01-31-2011 12:42 AM
Replies: 46
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 02-02-2011 02:18 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I hope this isn't a repost.
============================================
Earth 'to get second sun' as supernova turns night into day

The Earth could soon have a second sun, at least for a week or two.
The cosmic phenomenon will happen when one of the brightest stars in the night sky explodes into a supernova.
And, according to a report yesterday, the most stunning light show in the planet’s history could happen as soon as this year.

Earth will undoubtedly have a front row seat when the dying red supergiant star Betelgeuse finally blows itself into oblivion.
The explosion will be so bright that even though the star in the Orion constellation is 640 light-years away, it will still turn night into day and appear like there are two suns in the sky for a few weeks.
The only real debate is over exactly when it will happen.
In stellar terms, Betelgeuse is predicted to crash and burn in the very near future. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to rush out and buy sunglasses.
Brad Carter, Senior Lecturer of Physics at the University of Southern Queensland in Australia, claimed yesterday that the galactic blast could happen before 2012 – or any time over the next million years.

‘This old star is running out of fuel in its centre,’ Dr Carter told te Austalian website news.com.au.
‘This fuel keeps Betelgeuse shining and supported. When this fuel runs out the star will literally collapse in upon itself and it will do so very quickly.
‘This is the final hurrah for the star. It goes bang, it explodes, it lights up - we’ll have incredible brightness for a brief period of time for a couple of weeks and then over the coming months it begins to fade and then eventually it will be very hard to see at all,’ he added.

Complete article.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...turns-night-day.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
And then we will have 28 million more asteroids to worry about hitting the earth
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
The other thing that has always had me perplexed.......1 light year is equal to 6 trillion miles so if it is 640 light years away, how the hell did we map this star out and learn so much about it being it is seemingly impossible to reach it?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

And then we will have 28 million more asteroids to worry about hitting the earth

No one gets out alive. At least not so far...
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2011 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Please hit the earth, please hit the earth........

Not only is it good for the earth, but it's good for us!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-31-2011).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I hope this happens within our lifetime! What an amazing priviledge/opportunity that would be to see that!
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I hope this happens within our lifetime! What an amazing priviledge/opportunity that would be to see that!

Yea, it'll probably be 24 hours of sun for months, or years. Radiation that will decimate everything, and no survivors.

What a privilege!!

Brad
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Maybe it already happened, maybe 639 years ago?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Yea, it'll probably be 24 hours of sun for months, or years. Radiation that will decimate everything, and no survivors.

What a privilege!!

Brad

One does not question the will of God.
Besides, who doesn't like extra-crispy?!

Roasted alive is the seventh sign of the apocalypse, but few know the sixth sign; "And from the sky shall fall 11 herbs & spices."
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
This would do nothing but piss me off and keep me awake... I'm a stright up night person.
PFF
System Bot
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

The other thing that has always had me perplexed.......1 light year is equal to 6 trillion miles so if it is 640 light years away, how the hell did we map this star out and learn so much about it being it is seemingly impossible to reach it?

The light that we are seeing and studying is 640 years old. So that means that if Betelgeuse does go Supernova this year, it will have actually blown up 640 years ago.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
From the sounds of the article, it doesn't seem like the apocolypse.

Just some extra daylight for a couple of weeks?
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Maybe we will end up with some super human powers from it. Then again, everything on earth could as well.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
One more thing that will end life as we know it.

Oh well. At least it gives people something to talk about. Send me a PM when it happens.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
And melt our Fiero's body .
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

It's all relative.

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Maybe we will end up with some super human powers from it. Then again, everything on earth could as well.

That would mean my dogs would have some super human powers..Hmmm This is not good
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
OK, just so that I understand, this is something else that is President Bush's fault? Or, is this our fault like the Global Warming thing?
You know, if Al Gore hadn't invented the internet, we wouldn't even know about this.

------------------
Ron

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I tried and tried to warn and tell Orion when I saw that pointy spear of his. "Gonna get your eye put out kid".

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
..the galactic blast could happen before 2012 – or any time over the next million years.

I'm not taking my lawnchair and Oreos onto the roof just yet.
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Kinda what I was thinking. It likely already popped - we just dont know it yet.

now what will really be neat is if we can observe the shockwave. would make for a fine mission for NASA.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Don't worry about it. Any solid matter emitted by a supernova will arrive thousands (or millions) of years after we see it explode, because the light will be ... well ... moving at the speed of light, while solid matter will necessarily be moving much slower.

... if it is 640 light years away, how the hell did we map this star out and learn so much about it ...

We used telescopes ... and several centuries worth of brain power.

Originally posted by maryjane:

I tried and tried to warn and tell Orion when I saw that pointy spear of his. "Gonna get your eye put out kid".

Now that's funny ... in a cosmic sort of way.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 01-31-2011).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Once again, I'm reminded of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Who said Betelgeuse 3 times?
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad I washed my towel. That is the most important item an adventurer can posses.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

I'm glad I washed my towel. That is the most important item an adventurer can posses.

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Marvin mentioned many ways scientists learned about Betelgueze but in addition to his list, radio astronomy can peek into the very core of stars even from this distance. Spectral anaylsis can reveal many things as well as emitted frequencies that show composition. BetelGueze primarily emits in the red part of the spectrum where hotter stars emit in blue. The hydrogen burning inside the star produces helium and it is probably one of the components the scientists see. Physicists think our Sun is a second generation star because of the relatively high amount of helium here on Earth.

Don't quote me on any of the above: I only took four college astronomy classes.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

... radio astronomy can peek into the very core of stars even from this distance.

Thanks for clarifying. By "telescopes" I meant to include all kinds: optical, infrared, ultraviolet, radio, X-ray, and gamma ray. Each portion of the entire electromagnetic spectrum can reveal different details about what's going on inside a star.

I've never taken an astronomy course, but I've been privileged to know and work with several highly competent professional astronomers.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Thanks for clarifying. By "telescopes" I meant to include all kinds: optical, infrared, ultraviolet, radio, X-ray, and gamma ray. Each portion of the entire electromagnetic spectrum can reveal different details about what's going on inside a star.

OK, so let's point one of them at Britney Spears and see what's going on inside her head.

------------------
Ron

PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

OK, so let's point one of them at Britney Spears and see what's going on inside her head.

Ever heard of Dark Matter? It appears to have mass but is otherwise undetectable.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Ever heard of Dark Matter? It appears to have mass but is otherwise undetectable.

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Foord is going to be pissed! He is from one of the moons in Betelgeuse!!!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

Marvin mentioned many ways scientists learned about Betelgueze but in addition to his list, radio astronomy can peek into the very core of stars even from this distance. Spectral anaylsis can reveal many things as well as emitted frequencies that show composition. BetelGueze primarily emits in the red part of the spectrum where hotter stars emit in blue. The hydrogen burning inside the star produces helium and it is probably one of the components the scientists see. Physicists think our Sun is a second generation star because of the relatively high amount of helium here on Earth.

Don't quote me on any of the above: I only took four college astronomy classes.

Thanks for your input.
I started to speculate but was in way over my head, hence the edited empty post above.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Unless we also get hit by a gamma ray burst, then it will suck badly.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Unless we also get hit by a gamma ray burst, then it will suck badly.

YES!!
C'Mon GAMMA!!!

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post

simply by studying its light, and brightness, and color, they can learn what the star is made of, how hot it is, its size, power output, mass, age, and some other factors.. you would be surprized what you can learn about something simply by studying the light coming from it.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Please hit the earth, please hit the earth........

Not only is it good for the earth, but it's good for us!

Is that the back-up plan on those credit cards?
carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

I hope this isn't a repost.
============================================

[i]The Earth could soon have a second sun, at least for a week or two.

The only real debate is over exactly when it will happen.
]

December 21, 2012. Duh! Edited due to dyslexia!

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 02-01-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock