Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Is it bad I have never filed taxes? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Is it bad I have never filed taxes? by 87antuzzi
Started on: 01-26-2011 01:09 AM
Replies: 44
Last post by: Nebiros88 on 01-27-2011 09:57 PM
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Im lost. I dont even know where to start with this whole tax thing. I have my W2 and thats as far I have gotten. Help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
I'm not sure about Scotland's tax laws.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
I'd login into taxslayer.com or turbotax.com and follow the prompts for a 1040EZ.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 01-26-2011).]

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I'd login into taxslayer.com or turbotax.com and follow the prompts for a 1040EZ.

You lost me at login. But the 1040EZ sounds like a bad ass toyotya motor......Just sayin.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Can you still average income? Thowing a couple of zero years into the average may reduce your taxes.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Can you still average income? Thowing a couple of zero years into the average may reduce your taxes.

Do a what? Pretend you are talking to a brick then simpifly it a little. I am a idiot when it comes to this tax thing.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Okay got a better idea for you. Drive to Wal-Mart, walk into the Jackson Hewitt tax booth. Hand the person your W2 and sit down.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Do a what? Pretend you are talking to a brick then simpifly it a little. I am a idiot when it comes to this tax thing.

You don't know it perhaps, but you are now qualified to be Sec of the US Treasury.
FrugalFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
"87antuzzi

I know about Glasgow, Scotland. Tell me more about Glascow? (Preferably after you're inebriated)

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

You lost me at login. But the 1040EZ sounds like a bad ass toyotya motor......Just sayin.

You've never gone to a website before or logged into one before?

1. Click this link: http://turbotax.intuit.com/
2. Click the "Start Now" button under "1040EZ and Simple Tax Returns"
3. Read the directions that come up on screen.
4. Follow the directions that come up on screen.

You will be asked questions on the website. Answer them.
If you have specific questions during the process, post them.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

You've never gone to a website before or logged into one before?

1. Click this link: http://turbotax.intuit.com/
2. Click the "Start Now" button under "1040EZ and Simple Tax Returns"
3. Read the directions that come up on screen.
4. Follow the directions that come up on screen.

You will be asked questions on the website. Answer them.
If you have specific questions during the process, post them.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ This!

As much stuff as you have done with computers and such, I really can't believe you can't do this. You're messing with us for some reason. It's as easy as filling out an application for employment, and it's free. (at least the 1040EZ is, and I am pretty sure that's what you will be doing) Just go to the dang website and start answering the questions. All the answers you will need are on the W2 (income, witholdings etc.), or in your head (name, address etc.).

Jim

PFF
System Bot
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
TurboTax x4. Its really easy to follow
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Just use www.taxact.com (I think that is the site). It is free and easy when completing the 1040EZ.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Im lost. I dont even know where to start with this whole tax thing. I have my W2 and thats as far I have gotten. Help.

I assume you have a job. I don't know how old you are, but I would guess maybe 22-23? I assume you've got a job now, and / or have had one over the past few years. I believe you're still not residing in your own residence, so you might not make THAT much (not an insult, just saying). If that's the case, then you probably aren't making enough that you would actually be PAYING taxes.

Chances are, you've actually missed out on several thousands of dollars you could have received back. Pretty much anyone making less than 32k a year, doesn't pay any taxes at all. So some of that money that comes off in your paycheck in the form of Federal Taxes, should be coming back to you in the form of a check. However, if you don't file... you lose it. So...

I'm not sure how the state taxes work, but there's a pretty good chance you haven't been filing your state taxes either, which can get you into trouble...

Get TurboTax Basic, and fill out the information as it asks you... it's really not hard.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
He's 19 and if he's never worked at a place with a W2 then I don't think he would have gotten any money back from Uncle Fed since he hasn't put any money in. He doesn't own any personal property either so he should be OK, I think.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:

He's 19 and if he's never worked at a place with a W2 then I don't think he would have gotten any money back from Uncle Fed since he hasn't put any money in. He doesn't own any personal property either so he should be OK, I think.

Well... technically not true. If he's worked anywhere since he was 16, and was paid in cash at any time... (even for mowing lawns), he's technically required to file a tax form. I don't think the government cares... but it's one of those morality things...

If you're making 30k a year cash under the table from a family business or something like that, you're still required by law to claim it, even if there's no W2.

But in all honesty, no one is going to care. And if he's only 19... even less so.

------------------
Todd,

sarabear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sarabearSend a Private Message to sarabearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Chances are, you've actually missed out on several thousands of dollars you could have received back. Pretty much anyone making less than 32k a year, doesn't pay any taxes at all.

I have to disagree with this. This past year was the first year I've made over $32K and I know every year before this year I've paid taxes.

For instance, year before last, I paid out over 2K in taxes on my $28K/yr salary and only got back about $750. I'm single and file 0 exemptions. I'm not sure what the taxes are like for married people, but I do know that single people get screwed throughout the year. My best friend and I make the same amount of $ and she pays out about $9/check in federal taxes (she's married, claiming 0 exemptions) where as I pay $140 of every paycheck.

It's absolutely ridiculous how much money the government takes from me compared to what I actually get back. This year it's a little better because I increased the amount that goes into my pension so I'm able to claim that as a deduction which helped my refund go up about $350.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

But in all honesty, no one is going to care. And if he's only 19... even less so.

Man, if only that was universal.

I know some 19 year olds that grossed well into 7 figures last year....some of whom can barely SPELL Internal Revenue Service!

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sarabear:
It's absolutely ridiculous how much money the government takes from me compared to what I actually get back. This year it's a little better because I increased the amount that goes into my pension so I'm able to claim that as a deduction which helped my refund go up about $350.

Are you taking into account social security and medicare deductions? It looks like we make about the same. On my last paystub, my federal withholding was $35, Medicare was $14 and Social Security was $41. The SS alone was more than my tax withholding!

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I have worked at plenty of real jobs, i just never filed taxes . I also sold cars a lot back in california and sold parts. But none of that was taxed.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Depeding on how much money he made, he may also qualify for the earned income credit. If the income he made is unreported for previous years, he will most likely get away with not having to report it himself. Since he has a W2 now, he will need to file depending on his age, how much he earned, and if he can be declared a dependant on someone elses taxes.
Here is an article on this.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7...l-income-taxes_.html

General Criteria
•In most cases, you are required to file if you are single and your gross income exceeds $9,350, head of household and your income exceeds $12,000, married filing joint and your income exceeds $18,700, married filing separately and your income exceeds $3,650, or qualifying widow(er) and your income exceeds $15,050.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 01-26-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2011 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
I havent bothered with rev can since the Superior court Peroski ruling in 03.....and never again in my life intend to file a damn thing with them.

I wonder if they know what I mean when I say "go frack a flying frisbee"
sarabear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sarabearSend a Private Message to sarabearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Are you taking into account social security and medicare deductions? It looks like we make about the same. On my last paystub, my federal withholding was $35, Medicare was $14 and Social Security was $41. The SS alone was more than my tax withholding!

No I was just stating what my federal withholding was....with my last paycheck here's the rest of it...
Fed-$140.68, SS Tax-$55.44,Medicare-$17.41

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

No I was just stating what my federal withholding was....with my last paycheck here's the rest of it...
Fed-$140.68, SS Tax-$55.44,Medicare-$17.41

Hmmm...that does seem strange.

To decrease your withholding, you could claim 1 or 2 exemptions, but be careful...you could end up owing money at the end of the tax year.

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 01-26-2011).]

sarabear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sarabearSend a Private Message to sarabearDirect Link to This Post
Yea that's why I only claim 0....don't want to run the risk of "owing" Uncle Sam
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Yea that's why I only claim 0....don't want to run the risk of "owing" Uncle Sam

If you get a refund, then you *probably* wouldn't owe with 1 exemption claimed, but you can probably figure it out, or ask a tax person to calculate it for you. Try that when you file your taxes, if you use a service like H&R Block.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

I have to disagree with this. This past year was the first year I've made over $32K and I know every year before this year I've paid taxes.

For instance, year before last, I paid out over 2K in taxes on my $28K/yr salary and only got back about $750. I'm single and file 0 exemptions. I'm not sure what the taxes are like for married people, but I do know that single people get screwed throughout the year. My best friend and I make the same amount of $ and she pays out about $9/check in federal taxes (she's married, claiming 0 exemptions) where as I pay $140 of every paycheck.

I don't know about state taxes, that's an entirely different thing.

As for Federal Taxes, you will ALWAYS pay Social Security, and FICA. That's not to be included with what we're talking about in your return for Federal Taxes withheld.

It really depends on your situation, especially if you have nothing at all to claim, but I would say that most people making that amount don't pay any taxes (based on how much they get back when they file by April).

That said, when I made that salary, I was also single, living in an apartment, and also paid a little bit of taxes (calculating the total withheld vs the amount I got back in my return).

------------------
Todd,

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

I have worked at plenty of real jobs, i just never filed taxes . I also sold cars a lot back in california and sold parts. But none of that was taxed.

I see an audit in your future.
If you've had jobs that sent you a W2 before and never filed, when you do start filing it's likely to raise a red flag.
Also, those car sales are taxable income if you made money on them, so yes, you would have to pay tax on it. If it's not enough to require you to have a dealer's license, they probably won't care, but don't think just because nobody took out taxes that you don't owe taxes. Technically, you were self employed and responsible for filing and paying all of your taxes, both state and federal.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Just a question......you live in Scotland, why would you want to pay US taxes ? Are you a US citizen ? If you are, theyre not going to extradite you for it. If you plan on staying there, forget about it.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I use http://www.hrblock.com but I don't have to file state income tax. Never used turbotax yet.
sarabear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sarabearSend a Private Message to sarabearDirect Link to This Post

I don't know about state taxes, that's an entirely different thing.

As for Federal Taxes, you will ALWAYS pay Social Security, and FICA. That's not to be included with what we're talking about in your return for Federal Taxes withheld.

It really depends on your situation, especially if you have nothing at all to claim, but I would say that most people making that amount don't pay any taxes (based on how much they get back when they file by April).

That said, when I made that salary, I was also single, living in an apartment, and also paid a little bit of taxes (calculating the total withheld vs the amount I got back in my return).

I wasn't talking about state taxes at all. I was speaking of only Federal with holding, not SS/Medicare.

I don't mind paying taxes, that's what every American needs to be doing. I was just saying that single folks don't have it easy when it comes to tax breaks. When I pay out $2,300 in federal taxes and only get back $750...that BLOWS and to me, it's a lot more than just a "little".
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
My advise is to leave the "I thinks" and "my opinion" out of it, take the W2 to H&R Block, or any other tax preparer, and go that route.

It's probably not a good idea to advertise that you made money in the past and didn't pay taxes on it, (that's just an opinion).

He's 19, and has never filed his taxes, he just got out of school last year, and it's most likely that his Mom claimed him up to that point.

Like I said, when in doubt, go somewhere and have it done. It's probably a good idea to let the professionals handle anything involving the federal and state Government anyway (opinion once again).

Brad

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Income averaging was scraped for everyone but farmers and fishermen in 1987. I used it when first out of the service since my income increased substantially in one year and it helped reduce my taxes. Just another unnoticed tax increase by rule change.
RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:... but it's one of those morality things...

I don't think I'd call this a moral issue! It's not exactly one of the 10 commandments. But, we do need to pull our own weight. I just get tired of pulling so many other people's weight, too ...and seeing what I've contributed so poorly used (I'll leave this to individual interpretation).

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 01-26-2011).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Not sure and I don't know much of the particulars, but I believe you used to be able to claim moving expnses under some circumstances. Antuzzi moved last reporting period. Might not help if he doesn't owe anything...
Shananigans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShananigansSend a Private Message to ShananigansDirect Link to This Post
At your age, you may have not made enough money to worry too much about it and if there is no paper trail from previous years then I wouldn't worry about it. One thing you want to do now is file your taxes from here on out. Don't be like me who made mistakes in the past with IRS, I was hit with a $38,000 tax bill a few years ago that they claimed I owed in back taxes. I just now got that paid off and I am now in the clear with them (what a relief). I will not make those mistakes again and believe me I have learned my lesson.

One thing you don't want to do is try to screw IRS especially if you have assets, If a person has no assets they can make a deal and only pay dimes on the dollar for back taxes, I couldn't. If you have assets or bank accounts with money they will put a lean on it or seize it if you don't cooperate with them,trust me I know.
deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
Who's standing over you now...Mr. Scott ?

If he is...might want to ask for "phasers on Kill"...

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Still dont know why if he lives in Scotland. I dont pay any taxes to Germany or France myself.....
doug.s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doug.sClick Here to visit doug.s's HomePageSend a Private Message to doug.sDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Still dont know why if he lives in Scotland. I dont pay any taxes to Germany or France myself.....

Roger, he doesn't live in Scotland. He resides in Missouri. Or as we said growing up in Iowa...Missery!

Doug

[This message has been edited by doug.s (edited 01-27-2011).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
If he doesn't start filing taxes, he'll be livin in Kansas.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock