Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Anyone here know the Corvair's? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Anyone here know the Corvair's? by Xerces_Blackthorne
Started on: 01-19-2011 04:47 PM
Replies: 56
Last post by: weaselbeak on 01-21-2011 12:05 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, but 200 HP out of a stock 140 HP engine is pretty impressive without some kind of power adder.
Post up some pics/vids!
IP: Logged
billpapps

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Yeah, but 200 HP out of a stock 140 HP engine is pretty impressive without some kind of power adder.
Post up some pics/vids!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Cf26hOHQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watc...mfu_in_order&list=UL

[This message has been edited by billpapps (edited 01-19-2011).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Yup, I read the post and went right past it.
Sounds great!
Black Lotus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black LotusSend a Private Message to Black LotusDirect Link to This Post
My car(s) was a rolling IECO and OTTO parts warehouse.
The brakes on my 65 and '66 had Lakewood Velvetouch sintered metallic shoes meant for a Chevelle, swapped end for end. The stopping distance from speed was phenominal. So much for the parking brake 'tho.
Even after rebuilding the steering box, there was always a tick of slop on center. Even at the age of 18, I was anal about that.
I might add that I had a LOT of trouble with intake valve seats on the 140 HP heads. Even after they were staked in.
Belt problems due to me revving the guts out of it were solved with a spring loaded idler pulley.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I spent some time with Corvairs. The engines are engineering marvels for their time. Forged crank and rods from the factory, two piece split block, very light weight. The man considered the world's #1 authority on homebuilt aircraft lists 10 reasons to use a Corvair engine. They were put in Porsches for extra torque for hillclimbs, they were called Porvairs. They even made outboards out of them, torque rules on the water. There were Corvair rally clubs all over Europe. Set the passenger compartment back a bit and you can see where the early Camaro came from. You can get anything you need for a Corvair and not that expensive. They are a bit different, and the more you understand them the better they get. They are very easy to work on. The biggest single problem was that in the sixties engine sealing tech was lacking. That problem is history. Engines are starting to get pricey because of those aircraft boys. Full race mods could get you to 290 HP or so. They were most usable at the 110 HP level, the 140 was good but touchier. Engine swaps were common, Crown V8s were one way, but not the best. There is a you tube video of a Corvair with a 3800 in it. Great combo, the weight is close to the Fiero. I often really wish I had stayed with them.

[This message has been edited by weaselbeak (edited 01-19-2011).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Ah yes, I owned this 65 Convertible. It had the 110 engine with the 140hp duel exhaust, which sounded nice.

I bought it freshly restored back in 1983. It was a fun car to own, I kept it garaged & brought it out on sunny days. It handled just fine, (thanks Ralph Nadar)

I actually traded it in on my 1st 84 Fiero, the dealer wanted the corvair for his own collection. He met the price I asked.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-19-2011).]

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
I dropped a many 140 seats.. Even a few 110 that I was trying to turbo.. With the heads getting older. More heat cycles even the smaller valve heads are going to start dropping there seats.
Staking the seats only last so long.The solution is to use over size valve seats and Pining them in. A lot of people had good luck with the spring loaded idler pulley .I didn't
I found a green wrapped built use for john deere lawn tractors that worked really good. Could run it lose and still stayed on.

The corvair 140 and turbo cranks came Nitrate from gm.

Its true the 95 and 110 engines where calmer with a bit more torque. Smaller valves and cam gives the 110/95 better city driving.
The 140 heads will not support 290 HP support for long period of time with out over heating. There is just not enough space or cooling fins.
Even with Extreme oil cooling.
The 110/95 heads can with enough air passing though them. But can't make that kind of power levels with out a turbo.
But then you run into block flexing. Broken cranks, I been there.
Yea the aircraft boys are paying crazy $$$$ for 110/95 heads.

[This message has been edited by billpapps (edited 01-19-2011).]

weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I didn't mean 290 HP for street use.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Now if only I can convince Litespd to have a look see for me Nudge nudge, wink wink, right Mike

Lol...I never even noticed that it was here in town. Give 'em a call, Brian. If it sounds like something you are interested in, I'll go look at it. But make it quick...I've got plans for Saturday, and possibly Sunday.

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

I didn't mean 290 HP for street use.

I just didn't want to disillude anybody thinking they are going to go build a 300 hp corvair engine. Not Saying it can't be done
I seen them make over 600hp But cost wise it's not worth it.
It took me many years to get that beat into my head.

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

Lol...I never even noticed that it was here in town. Give 'em a call, Brian. If it sounds like something you are interested in, I'll go look at it. But make it quick...I've got plans for Saturday, and possibly Sunday.

If your going to go look at this vair...Bring a Jack+stand. Crawl up under the front.. Look for rust where it bolts into the cross member. You might even want to bring a long Screw driver so you can push on the steel.
You are looking for weak places. They can rust from the inside out there. Metal will be as thin as tin foil.
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Heh, how old are you???

clip.....

Brad

Old enough to remember when people were texting on pony circuits and email was DTWX.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Early ones had mega problems throwing fan belts because of the 90* twist to run the cooling fan. There nice to tinker with. Front end is really light, so you have to remember that for handling. Its a lot lighter steering than Fiero even. Go nice on snow and ice, just cant steer them. No frame and engine is bolted directly to belly pan. Front trunk floors rust out bad, engine bay floor (hence engine mounts) rot out. Ive actually seen them with engine on the ground. Also prone to rustout around front and rear windshields. I had a friend that had a nice Monza convertible with the turbo. I have seen one locally at car shows with a 455 in the rear seat area.
billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Early ones had mega problems throwing fan belts because of the 90* twist to run the cooling fan. There nice to tinker with. Front end is really light, so you have to remember that for handling. Its a lot lighter steering than Fiero even. Go nice on snow and ice, just cant steer them. No frame and engine is bolted directly to belly pan. Front trunk floors rust out bad, engine bay floor (hence engine mounts) rot out. Ive actually seen them with engine on the ground. Also prone to rustout around front and rear windshields. I had a friend that had a nice Monza convertible with the turbo. I have seen one locally at car shows with a 455 in the rear seat area.

The the EM Corvairs had more of problem throwing belts..But it was not from the Twist of the belt. They all had the same belt 90deg twist. The EM vair used a heaver Fan (a lot heaver). It blows more air but the results are a tossed belt.
Also the fan shroud didn't have a belt guard. But that Belt guard was just for looks. A lighter Magnesium fan fixed most the of the tossing of belt..Most corvair drivers at the time did not know how to put that built on
They would stick that belt on Tight as hell. The deal with the fan is it needs to slip on the built when coming off higher rpms or it will and does throw off the built.. I use a Heavy 1st Gen Fan on my car. Because I can
Yea the front is light. But after I put my Tools up there My battery a few other things. Its not so light any more

The engine falling out Has not a thing to do with rust.It's plain and simple owner neglect. The front mounts bolts into 1/4 inch stamped steel. I been under hundreds of vairs and only seen a hand full that was rusted there.
The rear mount is the one that fails. Dropping the engine on the ground. Its also the easiest to see and fix. The mount is covered in the corvair handbook.. This was later fixed with a newer mount. This mount bolts into the strongest part of the car.

[This message has been edited by billpapps (edited 01-20-2011).]

weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I did not know there were 2 different fans. I had one Corvair that tossed belts at the drop of a hat. I fixed it by fabbing my own idler pully spring loaded. I had another that never had even a slight problem. As for rust, show me all the other early 60's cars that didn't. I can't remember the last time I saw a Falcon, or a Valiant. Hell, it's darn near impossible to find a 70's ricer that isn't a rust bucket. Corvairs were no worse than anything else. I saw a Dodge truck the other day no more than 4-5 years old, rocker area shot already.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I also see nearly new Expoders rusted to pieces at rockers and wheelwells You dont see many rust to where the engine falls thru though..... When talking about any older cars, Ive fixed enough to pretty well know the specific problem areas on every make.

And, yes, I did say early models threw belts.
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen a Corvair rusted bad at the engine mounts.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock