Started on: 01-18-2011 08:08 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: Gecko on 01-21-2011 11:11 AM
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
My wife wants me to get into bit torrent so I can... uh... nevermind that part. You don't need to know.

But I did some searching, and it looks like a person could do the wrong thing very easily. So, like everything else, when I want to get the best info on something, I come here and ask you guys!

So can you give me a Bit Torrent for Dummies? Torrenting 101? Introduction to Basic Beginning Torrent for Those Who Don't Know wtf They Are Doing?

Disclaimer: I understand certain activities using bit torrent may be illegal, and if you tell me anything about how it's done, that doesn't mean you condone or support illegal behavior.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 01-18-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how to torrent... But I might be able to teach you how to dougie!
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
So you want to illegally download movies?

Im telling!

Find Said Torrent on website, use program such as uTorrent to download said torrent, open using your favorite video software
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Well. it sounds like your wanting a torrent site to go to to download these episodes? If so then for starters you'd need to find a torrent site that has them. You'd also need to download a program like utorrent to download the torrents to your computer once you found them. First though, unless your not worried about copyrights, I'd check to make sure what you want to download is legal to obtain that way.
fierogal123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogal123Send a Private Message to fierogal123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

I don't know how to torrent... But I might be able to teach you how to dougie!

I was soooo going to post that!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

First though, unless your not worried about copyrights, I'd check to make sure what you want to download is legal to obtain that way.

Always do the above to prevent being thought of as a lowlife good-for-nothing thief.

Then download the search program TorrentFetcher.
http://www.freewarefiles.co...r_program_50322.html

Then download the downloader program uTorrent.
http://www.utorrent.com/

Install them both.

Open TorrentFetcher (the search program).

Choose a category, then type in name of what you want.

Choose the result with the highest user rating from the list that pops up. Double click it.

A uTorrent icon will appear on your desktop. Double click on that.

At this point uTorrent (the downloader program) will open up and a box will appear asking if you want to download it. Click yes.

The program you chose will start downloading.

When it is done, a notice will appear on the desktop telling you it is complete.

You will find the downloaded folder in your "Computer/Downloads" file.

Double-click the video file inside the downloaded folder. Your exsisting video player should pop up and play the movie.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-18-2011).]

Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Yah what he said. Sent you a pm with a little bit of info too. Going to bed, will check back later.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Got several pm's, in addition to the help above, thanks a lot!!!
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be legal, since it's legal to record things on the dvr and play 'em back later, but I'll claim ignorance if that gets y'all off the hook, since that's the truth (ignorance). I know ignorance won't get ME off the hook, of course. Can't think of any other disclaimers I should add, except to say I take full responsibility IF I use any information learned here in an improper (ie illegal) fashion. Maybe I just want to learn about it - not so I can DO any of this stuff, but so I'll understand what people are talking about... yeah, that's the ticket.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 01-18-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Maybe I just want to learn about it - not so I can DO any of this stuff, but so I'll understand what people are talking about... yeah, that's the ticket.

Yeah, um...............that's why I check out pron, so I'll understand what people's eyes are seeing.
Yeah, that's it.

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Well lets say hypothetically someone missed an episode of 30 Rock and the stupid DVR didn't record it.
Said person downloaded the episode on a torrent and watched what would have been on his DVR if it had not been made by stupid Motorola.
Said person shortly thereafter received a cease and desist letter from NBC Universal with compliments to Charter communications for providing the mailing address.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
That's a good point. Depending on your ISP they may tattle on you, or may block your ability to download from most torrent sites.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
So what is the difference between downloading something off a file sharing site like torrents.

Or using a video downloader that automatically downloads a video you are watching online like Sothink web Video Downloader?

I guess what I am trying to say is are both illegal or is one less illegal than the other?

I mean you can watch these movies online, why would it be illegal to download them?

You can record a movie off the cable/satellite/airwaves legally. Why is recording a movie for your own viewing illegal from a file sharing site as long as it is just for your own viewing and not for you to make copies of for sale.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Yeah...

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
My kid says the two best sites are pirate bay and demonoid, real simple.
You will need an invite for demonoid, ask for one on here if someone hasn't sent you one already.
Utorrent is the best downloader, what my kid says anyway.

[This message has been edited by partfiero (edited 01-18-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2011 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:

My kid says the two best sites are pirate bay

I heard something bad about pirate bay, but I don't remember what....
partfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I heard something bad about pirate bay, but I don't remember what....

They are having a trial to determine their legality.
So until the ruling comes down I guess it is legal to illegally download.
Always read the comments before downloading from either site.
Don't trust sites that don't allow comments.
My kid says there are sites that want you to take a survey, they ask for your cell #, then send you a message that if you respond to, you are charged a monthly fee on your phone bill.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Teach me how to Dougie.

------------------
You got a Benz, I got a busket!
Give me a dollar!

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Teach me how to Dougie.

All my biches love me.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Cheever3000

12398 posts
Member since Aug 2001

...Choose the result with the highest user rating ...

Would that be the column showing numbers with the "+" in front?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Would that be the column showing numbers with the "+" in front?

Yes, and the other is the amount of nodes? (connections) to it there are.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

...Then download the downloader program uTorrent.
http://www.utorrent.com/

I de-selected having the browser bar and having it set as the home page, but I got them anyway. Grrr!!!
PFF
System Bot
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

That's a good point. Depending on your ISP they may tattle on you, or may block your ability to download from most torrent sites.

Vuze and Utorrent both have options to encrypt so that your ISP doesn't know exactly what your getting.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Peer to peer is loaded with viruses and malware. Expect to get them. Best would to be to run a computer dedicated to this application and then transfer ONLY the files on a USB drive. Be ready to format and reload when that computer gets infected. Run anti-virus and anti-malware. Don't expect them to keep your shoes clean while you dance in the poop. Just expect them to slow down the rate of infection. P2P is like sleeping with the sluttiest chick you can think of. Yeah maybe it's covered but you still got a case of the crabs.

DO NOT do it on a computer you do any banking or credit card purchases.

DO NOT DO NOT get any business credit cards anywhere close to being used on that computer. Business Credit Cards do not have the same bank protection that personal credit cards do.
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

stop trying to scare the guy. I can't remember the last time I had a virus in my computer and all I use is the free versions of AVG, Malware Bytes and Lavasoft Ad-Aware.

using private sites gratefully reduces the chances of getting viruses and such.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I have been using Torrents for years for TV Shows and various other media related items (no, not pr0n you sick sick people)...

I have not had a virus related to my Torrent activity, ever...

Scare-mongering is a bad thing, so take what Phone says with a grain of salt...
BUT, he also does have some good advice..

Be prepared for the worst, in case it happens. You may go out to find the latest greatest video you heard about, and get a bad file instead that can cause issues..

This generally happens on the "free" trackers, such as The Pirate Bay and a few others..

I am on several private torrent sites for my TV shows, and have never had an issue. They get monitored quite heavily, and anyone caught uploading a malicious app gets the boot.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Teach me how to torrent

Did it work?
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Did it work?

Other things going on have taken my time. Cheeverville is a busy, busy place!
But thanks for checking in on me.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

But thanks for checking in on me.

Cool.
Let me know.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, um...............that's why I check out pron, so I'll understand what people's eyes are seeing.
Yeah, that's it.

I call BULL-KAKA

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I call BULL-KAKA

Damn.
The first lier never stands a chance.

Would you buy that I do it to initate a daily-required detoxifying process?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-19-2011).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Damn.
The first lier never stands a chance.

Would you buy that I do it to initate a daily-required detoxifying process?

I don't even want to know...
PFF
System Bot
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Torrenting is not illegal at all. The illegal part comes with WHAT you torrent. You can use torrenting strictly for legal files. Just like a licensed driver is legal to drive, but he isn't legal to steal the Corvette down the street and drive it.

Also, I have never gotten a virus from torrenting, but you have to be smart about what you download. If it says "The BEST Bee Arthur PrON nudez xXx naked sex tape GOLDEN GIRLS!!" you PROBABLY shouldn't download it. ALSO... when you go to download anything it tells you what the files are.. If you search for MP3's of some old hymns that are public domain, and the contents of the torrent include exe files and so on, that should be a red flag. Most decent torrent sites will give ratings and reviews of users and their uploads.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

"The BEST Bee Arthur PrON nudez xXx naked sex tape GOLDEN GIRLS!!".

I actually hav..............oh, I thought you said "The BEST Bee Arthur PrON nudez xXx naked sex tape GOLDEN SHOWERS!!".

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-19-2011).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

I actually hav..............oh, I thought you said "The BEST Bee Arthur PrON nudez xXx naked sex tape GOLDEN SHOWERS!!".

Bee Arher and Pr0n in the same sentace............thats just sick man, beyond sick.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-19-2011).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Bee Arher and Pr0n in the same sentace............thats just sick man, beyond sick.

Now, Betty White? Oh yeah. Giggity Giggity...
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned earlier, the private sites are the best way to go.

One of these easy ways to tell something is fake is when you search, go to some site and it shows 5 of the torrent you want with amazing stats, that are just to good to be true.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
^ They didn't spell "convert" correctly.

So, are the lines in green the ones that are too good to be true?
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
It will often come up just like that. 5 lines, all added relatively recently, all are exactly the words you typed into the search. If they show seeds/peers, there will always be a real high amount of seeds and very little peers etc. The whole thing is bad and should just be avoided.

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't it be simpler Cheever, just to contact whoever had the programs on to begin with and ask them how to download those episodes? I see nothing problematic with that approach.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock