Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  get back in to guns need a cheap gun to shoot (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
get back in to guns need a cheap gun to shoot by fierobrian
Started on: 12-23-2010 11:27 AM
Replies: 95
Last post by: deezil on 02-11-2011 07:50 AM
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-09-2011 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero STS:

Picked up a mini 14 about a year ago. Still havent gone out and put some rounds through it. Just picked up a new marlin 22lr for a100 bucks. 10 round clip, plastic stock, just something to plink with.

Love to have a mini 30 ( so it matches my AK ammo ). I missed out on one for $300 just before the holidays.

EDIT: Page 3.. go me!

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 01-09-2011).]

IP: Logged
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-09-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

If you dont want a pistol, I have a Highpoint 9mm semi auto carbine. I like it and it came with a lifetime warranty. Most of it is composite material. It was pretty cheap. If I remember it was less than $175 with 3 clips and a reddot scope.

I like mine, i have a regular scope on it, a compensator ( mostly worthless for a small caliber rifle ) and a butt pad as that plastic butt really cut into my shoulder.

They are cheap and ugly but built like a tank.
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmDirect Link to This Post
I vote Ruger 1022

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
i bought a smith & wesson 40 sigma pistol can pick up fri night going to range sat after work going to get marlin 22 rifle ,they didnt have the one i wanted at the store going to order online
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
went to range spent a ton i shot 200 rounds. but i had fun ,i need to get to a 22 for cheap rounds lol they have a low target hanger and it cost 10 bucks if you hit it . so i was pulling a little low to save the 10 bucks this is from 25 feet out .not bad for not shooting in over ten years. here is photo of my new gun
here is a bad shoot ofsmall port holes it had done when i got it

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 01-15-2011).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
I ordered my Mosin Nagant today. I got a hex receiver and the best hand picked out of 5 from aim surplus. After the FFL transfer fee, its going to cost me $118 total.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/p...x+Mosin+Nagant+Rifle

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 02-09-2011).]

Nilknarf

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NilknarfSend a Private Message to NilknarfDirect Link to This Post
Just be careful... depending on what you buy might be "illegal" . Aurora has a B.S. municipal ordinance on a lot of guns. No magazines in excess of 15 rounds are legal and they banned possession of assault weapons. Hopefully this will get challenged in court and thrown out in light of the recent court cases.

Edit.... I think B.B. Guns and Air Soft guns are illegal to possess within city limits also. This is one reason I'm glad I moved out of there last year.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/...inances/aurora_o.pdf

[This message has been edited by Nilknarf (edited 02-09-2011).]

Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

I ordered my Mosin Nagant today. I got a hex receiver and the best hand picked out of 5 from aim surplus. After the FFL transfer fee, its going to cost me $118 total.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/p...x+Mosin+Nagant+Rifle

What year and marking are stamped into the receiver? I ask because if its a certain year set and stamp, it might be worth a little bit more due to the germans having bombed one of the main factorys that they were manufactured at
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
He just ordered it, so he hasn't got it yet.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
I'll let you know when it comes in.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Look into the 7.62x25 caliber very cheap to shoot, but corrosive. Not a wimpy round either, but don't use it for self defense too much penetration.
5.45x39 is also very very cheap and corrosive.
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I have a Mosin 91-30 Hex reciever from 1924, which factory would be the valuable one ?

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
well seeing as every one else chimed in with a nagant heres my 91/30 stamped 1939 i bought it suplus and when i was cleaning the metal parts my friend was cleaning his and spilled the paint thiner on my stock so i just sanded the rest of the stain off

Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Your rifle was manufactured per the Izhevsk arsenal. Model year 1924, number 88788 produced that year.
The little double rectangle mark next to the hammer and sickle stamp means that your rifle was refurbished either just before or the early months of ww2. so anywhere from about 1936 to mid 1940.

Contrary to what many importers and collectors believe, the Tula factory is NOT the rare factory. In fact the Tula factory DID get bombed BUT the damage was minimal and repaired nearly in one month and a days time. The factory was then converted over to a reconditioning unit to bring surplus rifles into Soviet standards for use on the front against the Germans.

The Izhevsk factory was bombed into rubble, taking with it the stamping, presses, and tooling that made yours, and mine rare pieces. There were an estimated, 37 million Mosin Nagant (and variables) produced of which only 1.2 million being produced at the Izhevsk factory

A breif synopsis on the Model we have: (yeah yeah its from Wiki)

Model 1891/30 (винтовка образца 1891/30-го года, винтовка Мосина): The most prolific version of the Mosin–Nagant. It was produced for standard issue to all Soviet infantry from 1930 to 1945. Most Dragoon rifles were also converted to the M1891/30 standard. It was commonly used as a sniper rifle in World War II. Early sniper versions had a 4x PE or PEM scope, a Soviet-made copy of a Zeiss design, while later rifles used smaller, simpler, and easier-to-produce 3.5x PU scopes. Because the scope was mounted above the chamber, the bolt handle was replaced with a longer, bent version on sniper rifles so the shooter could work the bolt without the scope interfering with it. Its design was based on the Dragoon rifle with the following modifications:

* Flat rear sights and r-stamping of sights in meters, instead of arshinii.
* A cylindrical receiver, replacing the octagonal (commonly called "hex") receiver. Early production 91/30s (from 1930 to 1936) and converted Dragoon rifles retained the hex receiver. The hex receiver rifles are regarded as less common and stronger than the rounded receiver versions by collectors and shooters.
* A hooded post front sight, replacing the blade on previous weapons

Now for Zetabird, i would HIGHLY recommend you pull the wood off of your gun ASAP and set it somewhere dry to get all the moisture out! the finish on the weapon is designed to repel water blood, oils, and dirt. Removing it can cause warpage of the stock, weakening, and the parts may not fit together right again. If you like the lighter tones of the wood you can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy some Thompson water seal or a light maple stain and stain the parts. I prefer the darker oak- like hues of my rifle and someday i may have it refinished by a professional to retain its value.

Right now in its current state you would be lucky to walk away with 20 bucks from a collector. Fix it, make it look like its the stock finish and don't tell anyone, you might squeak by with a decent profit.

I payed 30 bucks for my Mosin with a bayonet, sling, cleaning kit, pin mount scope sight, 300 rds of surplus ammo, a broken shell extractor and a replacement metal butt plate. How? well, lets just say that im A LOT more knowledgeable than certain people i used to call friends and can whittle a deal when i see it fit.
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post

Ramsespride

1979 posts
Member since Feb 2010
Oh and im going to be making a Youtube video on the proper way to clean a Mosin. Soon as i wake up im setting up the Camera and filming the step by step process of a FULL clean. not just a field dressed watered down crap job. Tune in to my channel around 3pm as i should have it uploaded and done by then.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gmcsuburban1991
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
A what the heck. Everyone else is getting guns so I did as well.

I had a chance to get a Mosin Nagant m91/30 for my father and a Nagant m1895 7 shot revolvers for myself through a friend at work.
My Dad and I did a full strip of the rifle and cleaned it of the cosmo. The pistol was cleaned as well. I like the pistol enough that I bought another and have had a blast shooting s&w .32 longs out of it and .32H&R mags when I want something hot.

My take on the Hi-points. I have heard for years on the mixed quaility of the guns but was still interested in the .380 and 9mm line from them.

No heres the kicker.

I have never bought a Brand new pistol. I had a buddy that owed me some money and I told him I was interested in buying a new pistol.
We met at the gun shop when he went to use their range. I only had about $150 to work with from him so I bought a Hi-Point .380 and a box a inexspenive ammo for it.
My buddy is a pretty big gun nut and he was trying to sway my decision. The Gun store owner (who is buddies with my friend) told me to take the gun out into the range and fire off all 50 back to back and if it jams from anything other than limp wrist firing he would take it back.

So Off to the range I went. My buddy played the reload roll with the spare mag. All 50 round fed through that gun with out a hitch and I ended up firing another 50 of of it the next night at another buddies house who is a HUGE gun snob. If it isnt a $1500 gun its garbage kinda guy. He has since bought the 9mm hi-point after shooting my .380.

All Hi-points have Lifetime warrenty for the gun no matter who owns it. That $50 HP you bought at a pawn shop that has a few hangups......It has a lifetime warrenty and you can send it in to get it fixed for free.. There are some great you tube videos to attest to that. If for some reason you have a crappy hi-point send it back and they will fix it for free and give you all the updates on the gun. Some guys have sent them pretty badly user inflicted damaged guns and have had NEW ones sent back to them.

If you have a little bit of time check out the Hi-point torture test on youtube that Iraqveteran has posted up. The first video I think it was assumed the guns would function poorly and they did quite a bit of joking around. The rest of the videos in that series take the Hi-point to sheer limit and has been getting alot of Talk around the gun forums and has been changing peoples mind in the process. It's still a big clunky gun but It is a Realiable, accurate and best of all inexspensive gun line to get new shooters into the hobby.

Heres the first vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watc...814Tw&feature=relmfu

part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watc...g5KU4&feature=relmfu

part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watc...vjlGg&feature=relmfu

And the eventual destruction of the gun by making it into a pipe bomb.
Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watc...RaWE&feature=related

Here is the .380 I have. 100 round through it so far without a hiccup.

[This message has been edited by deezil (edited 02-11-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock