Started on: 01-24-2010 09:20 AM
Replies: 64
Last post by: Toddster on 01-25-2012 02:18 PM
Shyster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShysterClick Here to visit Shyster's HomePageSend a Private Message to ShysterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katore8105:
[rant]. . .
I can't imagine that a mathematician is needed to perform as a Patent Attorney so I am betting you are no Mathematician. (Though Not a Layman, I am not going to question your intelligence as it seems you are quite smart). However you obviously know the answers here and not being a mathematician, by your standards, you can't possibly know or comment. Had you taken into consideration your approach and God complex, I would have been far more receptive to these replies. When it comes down to it, You sound like a spoiled little brat having a bad day. . . [/rant]
!

Wow. Just Wow. Nice rant. Misdirected, of course, but. . .

You're sort of right in one respect, that is, my daily job doesn't require me to always use everything I've learned. (More's the pity. I read through old textbooks sometimes, just to stay sharp). I just use pieces, here and there. Just the same, I think that the two degrees in physics that hang on my wall mean that I just might know something of the topic, and just a wee bit about mathematics.

Conversely, you make pronouncements in a vacuum and announce that you need no qualifications, whatever, to do so, yet seem to think others have to "qualify" to challenge anything you say. Interesting attitude.
IP: Logged
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shyster:

. . . I think that the two degrees in physics that hang on my wall . . .

. . .you make pronouncements in a vacuum . . .

Trust a physicist to get a comment about a vacuum into a paragraph. I just love technical talk.

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Well the sunspot number is up to 51 today and they've posted this.

A solar wind stream flowing from the indicated coronal hole should reach Earth on or about Feb. 10th. Credit: SOHO Extreme UV Telescope

http://spaceweather.com/

Now we'll see. What weather changes will occur, if any, on or after 11 Feb? This isn't much of a solar wind flow as they go. If you look at the archive which now goes back to 2001, on this day in 2001 there were 163 sunspots feeding the solar radiation.

Arn
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:
Well the sunspot number is up to 51 today and they've posted this.

A solar wind stream flowing from the indicated coronal hole should reach Earth on or about Feb. 10th. Credit: SOHO Extreme UV Telescope

Now we'll see. What weather changes will occur, if any, on or after 11 Feb? This isn't much of a solar wind flow as they go. If you look at the archive which now goes back to 2001, on this day in 2001 there were 163 sunspots feeding the solar radiation.

Arn

hhmmmm....so....perhaps groundhogs are sun spot sensitive, and thats how they know?
Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
The earth is liquid iron under the mantle. The iron behaves in a somewhat similar way as weather cells in the atmosphere, they have their own local flows that have to blend and interact with other cells in a closed environment. Earths magnetic field is a result of these interactions. In the last six hundred years the north magnetic pole has been as far south as central europe. It moves up to fifty miles daily, so the 'pole' is the average of this normally limited movement. The average spot moves around and historically we are about due for a north/south reversal. Due to the nature of geologic time this due date could be fifty or five thousand years. Its not like we can actually track the fluid motion of the planet's core.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phaeton:

The earth is liquid iron under the mantle. The iron behaves in a somewhat similar way as weather cells in the atmosphere, they have their own local flows that have to blend and interact with other cells in a closed environment. Earths magnetic field is a result of these interactions. In the last six hundred years the north magnetic pole has been as far south as central europe. It moves up to fifty miles daily, so the 'pole' is the average of this normally limited movement. The average spot moves around and historically we are about due for a north/south reversal. Due to the nature of geologic time this due date could be fifty or five thousand years. Its not like we can actually track the fluid motion of the planet's core.

So the actual effect of a "pole reversal" would be...?
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

So the actual effect of a "pole reversal" would be...?

Obsolete Compass. You would have to go up North to Florida.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wolfhound:

Uh, oh. Southerners would become Northerners, and Northerners would become Southerners. The panic in Dixie would be monumental!

Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
The effects of a pole reversal will be known after it happens. There are no firm correlations in the record equating life die off to magnetic changes. The poles won't just swap ends one day, they go into slow motion AC with the axis aligning on what would seem to us random directions. Then settle roughly aligned with earth's rotational axis. That's the guess that makes the most sense to me, opinions may vary.

All the computers and trained scientists cannot even accurately predict the next day's weather. This magnetic field in the earth and its relationship to the sun's particles is actually complicated.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
We see the sun remains pretty quiet.

Here is an explanation of sunspot activity and it is good to understand because this affects our weather, (not you and me)

http://science.nasa.gov/sci...pr_deepsolarminimum/

Arn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

We see the sun remains pretty quiet.

Here is an explanation of sunspot activity and it is good to understand because this affects our weather, (not you and me)

http://science.nasa.gov/sci...pr_deepsolarminimum/

Arn

"Deep calm was fairly common a hundred years ago. The solar minima of 1901 and 1913, for instance, were even longer than the one we're experiencing now. To match those minima in terms of depth and longevity, the current minimum will have to last at least another year."

So does it usually bounce back with any effect to our weahter when it does?
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
There is a pretty strong correlation. If you look on the thread "the case against anthropological global warming" you'll see it laid out pretty plainly. There are other solar factors however. The website http://spaceweather.com/ is a good one to research this.

Arn
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what impact the pole reversal will have on migrating animals...?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
There is new activity in the sun folks.

It looks like the solar minimum may be over. There is also some magnetic energy activity. Worth checking out.

Arn
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

The Earth's magnetic field may flip towards the end of the next millennium according to Danish geophysicists, exposing the Earth to harmful cosmic radiation in the process. In the past century, the magnetic north pole has moved over 1000 km towards the geographical north pole, and over the past decade the strength of the magnetic field has fallen by 1%. New measurements made in Greenland by the Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) show that the magnetic north pole is moving northwards at 20 km a year - 2 km a year faster than 12 months ago.

I am sure Al Gore and company will find a way to pin this on human intervention as well...and how the governement should pay him more money to find a means of halting it.

Originally posted by Wolfhound:

...and maps, so collect all those old maps as they will be 'collectable' in the future...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 05-31-2010).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

There is new activity in the sun folks.

It looks like the solar minimum may be over. There is also some magnetic energy activity. Worth checking out.

Arn

Not sure we need to get too excited:

"All three sunspots on the Earth-facing side of the sun are rapidly fading away. "
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

The meat will need to make machines which protect the meat from dangerous meat-cooking rays.

The meat shall survive this threat. The meat has meat thoughts and meat answers.

The meat shall inherit the earth.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
All I know is that this must mean it is time to don the purple robe and tennis shoes. Whose making the punch?
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
I am not positive, however I seem to remember something about the polarity of electric current could be affected by the earths polarity causing electronics to cease function until a (I forgot the doohickey) is installed into electronic devices to correct function. Once again, I do not remember the source or the viability of this vague recollection.

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 06-01-2010).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

I am not positive, however I seem to remember something about the polarity of electric current could be affected by the earths polarity causing electronics to cease function until a (I forgot the doohickey) is installed into electronic devices to correct function. Once again, I do not remember the source or the viability of this vague recollection.

How in the world would that happen? Electronic devices aren't dependent on the Earth's magnetic field to be polarized one way or the other. An electromagnetic circuit produces it's own local electromagnetic field. Unless there is something I'm overlooking here?
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

How in the world would that happen? Electronic devices aren't dependent on the Earth's magnetic field to be polarized one way or the other. An electromagnetic circuit produces it's own local electromagnetic field. Unless there is something I'm overlooking here?

I am not sure to be honest. It might have been something I saw on discovery channel or something like that and I could also be either relaying the information improperly or even remembering it incorrectly all together. I was hoping someone here would actually be able to clear it up for me.
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Just to point out that we have record cold temperatures still occurring. Calgary Canada is in record cold, to name one.

And, like the start of this thread guess how many sunspots today?

One (1)

Seems like old man winter is having a field day. Oh, wait, I'm sorry mister Gore. It is all the fault of Global Warming

It is all that hot air over the equator causing the record cold up here in Canada.

Arn
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The sun is becoming more active.

We have 6 sunspots facing earth, and if you look at the newest one it is pretty active.

We may have bottomed out on Global Cooling. Maybe this winter won't be so bad?

Arn
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2012 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
There is news today about a solar storm on the sun. The scientists involved are predicting all sorts of effects which may or may not be realized. They are also stating that the solar activity is increasing.

Just to recap, in the year 2000 we had close to 200 sunspots. That was an active solar cycle and caused..... wait for it.....
Global Warming. Yup, it was so.

Today chicken little is telling us the sun is ramping up again. But look at the evidence. Today's pic of the sun's surface.

The sun may be starting an active period, but nobody knows. It may stay the same. Nobody knows.

Arn
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Though the Solar activity does greatly effect earths climate, CO2 and methane are indisputably green house gasses trapping even more of the suns radiation while reflecting it back to the surface of the earth. Though we cannot control the amount of solar radiation that reaches Earths atmosphere, We most certainly control how much of it is retained.

CO2 content in Earth's Atmosphere is 330 parts per million. The Earth has had periods of concentrations of up to 440 parts per million in the geological record where the mean temperature was exactly what it is today. The anology of using a japanese hand fan to cool down your house seems oddly appropriate. CO2 is not a big deal. In fact as far as tri-atomic structures go it is one of the worst at heat retention. Sulpher Dioxide and Water Vapor are far better heat retainers. Venus and Mars both have about 97% CO2 content in their atmospheres. One is a boiling caldren and one is an ice cube. Why? the Sun.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock