Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  What a difference a year makes! (Weight loss, pics inside) (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
What a difference a year makes! (Weight loss, pics inside) by Bigfieroman
Started on: 01-14-2009 08:15 PM
Replies: 107
Last post by: tbone42 on 09-09-2011 04:38 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bigfieroman:

I recommend losing weight to anyone who has some to lose, but it is made out to be this fairytale where all of your problems are solved by putting down the fork; and that wasn't entirely the case.

So where did you get this info that "all of your problems are solved by putting down the fork"? The real world doesn't work that way.

The most I've ever weighed is 215 lbs (6'3"), and nothing has been given to me simply because I've never been fat.

Losing ALL that weight opens up possibilities that you would never had had previously, like living(!), but nothing is going to be handed to you. You've still got to out and beat the bushes for whatever it is you want.

You'll do fine. You've already proven you've got fantastic willpower. Stick with it!
IP: Logged
Bigfieroman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Well, for basically every problem out there, doctors or nutritionists or whomever the advice is coming from seem to list eating right and exercising as the first thing you should do to alleviate the problem.

I have seen this "remedy" for basically any symptom, from knee pain (it cured mine), to insomnia, depression, headaches, any digestive problem, skin conditions, to even insane stuff like allergies. While I don't doubt that weight loss is a hugely beneficial thing to many problems, it seems like it is regarded as some divine panacea from which all healing and goodness flow. It isn't. It doesn't cure everything, but it does facilitate most things. It is not ALL good and NO bad (extra skin, now I know what it feels like to shiver, etc) but it is 98% good and 2% bad.

My complaint is that the people giving the advice seem to think that all the good is so important that it is OK to omit any discussion of the bad. I disagree. I wish I had known that I would have an overhanging "gut" for the rest of my life going in. It would have made no difference in my weight loss success, I would have worked just as hard; I just would have had more realistic expectations. When I started, I assumed that I could be on the cover of Men's Health if I worked hard enough. Now I know that my weight has changed my body in an irreversible way.

I don't mean to focus on this mild disappointment; I am happier and more fulfilled now than I have EVER been in my ENTIRE life. So many doors have opened, so much has improved, I want to be/stay healthy more now than I did when I was heavy and had never experienced it.

[This message has been edited by Bigfieroman (edited 07-20-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I am happier and more fulfilled now than I have EVER been in my ENTIRE life. So many doors have opened, so much has improved, I want to be/stay healthy more now than I did when I was heavy and had never experienced it.

Great, continue to focus on that (and not the 2% bad) and the rest will come. It simply takes time... which is just as slow for skinny people as it is for fat people! *

* ...until you reach age 50 when time speeds up by a factor of 10.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
I dont want to wear the Hippy natural health wreath on my head,
but what do women do to help tighten their skin after having a baby?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

...what do women do to help tighten their skin after having a baby?

Get pregnant again.

Sorry, couldn't resisit.

DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
I've heard some kind of salve, salt mix and heat pads.. (now to someone like me - massage therapist, that don't sound good for skin in the long run) there are ways to do naturly though but they take time.. stuff dont just un-strech without some help or unnatural methods. It took time to get that way and will take more time to get back to normal..

Ok so I've not played mathematician yet.. just how long has this taken you.. whats the date on the first big pic.. till now? and I have to say also.. DUDE WTFG!!! Loose the chick if she only see's you for who you are now, and does not see you for who you were! If you don't have them flocking to you over your accomplishment, then they are not worth your time! The right one will be blown away by your accomplishments!

Rock on man!!!
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a chick...

Pregnant women either live with it or get surgery.

Anyway, it took me 16.5 months to lose just over 225 lbs.

[This message has been edited by Bigfieroman (edited 07-21-2009).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2009 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
As a rule, I intensely dislike the concept of cosmetic surgery to 'enhance' appearances...but in your case, it would be, IMHO, 100% justified. I am sure it would be the icing on the cake (which you have so dilligently avoided for so long ),and I should imagine it would be a fairly simple operation , as ops go. Perhaps Dan Frontal Lobe can chime in here...Surgery is such an art nowadays, and I bet they could do it with hardly any scar at all, and out of sight to 'most people' anyway. Shame you aren't in the UK..you could have that done on the NHS for free, as a neccessary operation. Heck people get their NOSES changed on NHS, if they can prove it 'causes psychological distress and pain'..
If you can afford to do it..just DO IT!! If you are satisfied as it is, then that is great too.
You truly are magnificent!!
And Patrick..you are having an exceptional 'funny spell'
Nick
Edit to add...ya know, Patrick's comment about going on 'Oprah' could have payback!! Go on her show...display your incredible achievement...and ask for the final touches to be made by her Show!! Go for it!!
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 07-21-2009).]

007DOUG

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 007DOUGSend a Private Message to 007DOUGDirect Link to This Post
Was thinking about you today. How about an update?
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
I am flattered!

Seriously though, thanks for checking in. I am doing pretty well. It has been about a year now, and I have kept the weight off. In fact, I lost a little bit more, my total lost is now nearly 230 lbs. I did look into cosmetic surgery to have the skin removed, it would cost me ~$26k. I put a down payment on a house instead.

Unfortunately, I tore my ACL(complete rupture), MCL (lvl 2 sprain) and Medial Meniscus while skiing in late January. This has precluded all of the sports I love, including dek hockey, mountain biking, and racquetball. ACL ruptures and meniscus tears require surgery, which I had done in late March.

I have luckily been able to avoid gaining any weight back, despite the huge drop in activity level. I have been going to rehab 3 times a week, and my PT has been having a hard time holding me back. I already have full flex back in my knee, and now it is just a matter of time before my muscles get back from atrophy. Some are already there. However, ACL reconstruction constitutes bone-to-bone healing, so no matter how well I do in rehab, I will not be able to return to sports until October. I am pretty bummed.

------------------

More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on keeping the weight off!
Bummer on the injuries, hopefully you'll make a full recovery
PFF
System Bot
The Mad Scientist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Mad ScientistSend a Private Message to The Mad ScientistDirect Link to This Post
awesome job man, this is what im going to school for( personal training for the handicapped). its always good to see people that are determined to be healthier and happier. congrats keep up hard work
FieroFanaticus2

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanaticus2Send a Private Message to FieroFanaticus2Direct Link to This Post
You know, what you did is an incredible inspiration to everyone. You may want to contact weight watchers, show them pictures and tell them your story. See if they respond. If not, try again. And a few more times after that. Try sending it to different people at weight watchers, it may just need to get into the right hands. People who are looking to do what you did would love to hear your story and how you did it. You not only dropped hundreds of pounds, but also built more muscle than most of us regular guys have. Tell your story, inspire people, motivate people... help people achieve what you have achieved..... you'll get everything you need in return to remove any disappointment. You could even get rich doing it.

[This message has been edited by FieroFanaticus2 (edited 05-28-2010).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
26,000 for a tummy tuck? I would definitely do some more shopping around - I think Abdominoplasty usually costs 5- 10,000 (probaby end up closer to 12,000) It cost my friend 8,500 to get his "clam" removed after he lost 200+ lbs, but that was about 5 years ago...

Incredible job losing all that weight and keeping it off!

edit: sorry to hear about your knee, glad it has been healing well.

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 05-28-2010).]

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
This is the kind of story I love to see. Someone taking control of their life. Congratulations from the bottom of my heart. You deserve all the good that will come out your accomplishment.
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for the kind words!

------------------

More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
I just saw this thread. Congratulations and a huge pat on the back for you. You are an inspiration to us all that are struggling with weight. My wife and I have just recently started a program at the local university that teaches us lifestyle change and exercise. We have a long road ahead but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Again, congratulations! You look great!
Nolan
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
wow i havent seen this thread in a while but i had to say damn good job man. (and i thought i got in shape this year...) i agree with contacting weight watchers.. worth a shot. If you cant get it now no big deal, theres always later...

Looking good!

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 06-02-2010).]

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
Hey, didn't I see ya on TV??? I'm pretty sure I did.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post

I am flattered!

Seriously though, thanks for checking in. I am doing pretty well. It has been about a year now, and I have kept the weight off. In fact, I lost a little bit more, my total lost is now nearly 230 lbs. I did look into cosmetic surgery to have the skin removed, it would cost me ~$26k. I put a down payment on a house instead.

Unfortunately, I tore my ACL(complete rupture), MCL (lvl 2 sprain) and Medial Meniscus while skiing in late January. This has precluded all of the sports I love, including dek hockey, mountain biking, and racquetball. ACL ruptures and meniscus tears require surgery, which I had done in late March.

I have luckily been able to avoid gaining any weight back, despite the huge drop in activity level. I have been going to rehab 3 times a week, and my PT has been having a hard time holding me back. I already have full flex back in my knee, and now it is just a matter of time before my muscles get back from atrophy. Some are already there. However, ACL reconstruction constitutes bone-to-bone healing, so no matter how well I do in rehab, I will not be able to return to sports until October. I am pretty bummed.

Aren't you really really happy you're skinny now? Can you imagine how rough getting around would be if you had an extra 200+ lbs on a bum knee?

Just found your thread, and wanted to say congrats.. For the first time in my life I'm finding it hard to stay at the weight that I want to be at (wife is a badass cook), and I'm having to learn self control, which I'm not very good at. Thanks for the inspiration..

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I've not commented to date on this thread, but, I've lost about 10% of my weight over a year and I did it the same way, diet and cardio.

Too bad about your injury. To be absolutely blunt, those sports are the sports of the young, and you can get injured pretty quickly in any of them if you are middle aged. I do my cardio on a stationary bike, a good one, a Tunturi Ergometer. I use dumbbells too, but moderate weight because I'm 60 years old.

I think your achievement should be sent to Oprah, while she is still on the air. If she featured your story, she'd likely pick up the tab for the plastic surgery.

In the meanwhile, I hope you are using an abdominal support. That will help the stretched skin knit, but, in the long run, you'll want that operation I expect.

The real benefit won't show up for a few years. When you are 60 and folks tell you that you look 50, then you'll get the benefit. When you can still do an hour of cardio and lift significant weight and have no high blood pressure, no diabetes, and no heart condition. That will be the payoff.

Good for you.

Arn
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Haven't commented in a while, but I still salute you.
As someone who really could stand to lose about 20% of my body weight, I can appreciate your efforts.

Good luck with the mending of your injuries.
Keep at it!
And try not to wipe out any more. Crashing sucks.
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Aren't you really really happy you're skinny now? Can you imagine how rough getting around would be if you had an extra 200+ lbs on a bum knee?

Just found your thread, and wanted to say congrats.. For the first time in my life I'm finding it hard to stay at the weight that I want to be at (wife is a badass cook), and I'm having to learn self control, which I'm not very good at. Thanks for the inspiration..

Welllllll... Arguably I would not have injured myself if I had been big still. It is pretty tough to tear an ACL sitting on the couch, no matter how many burgers you eat. Of course, I might have died of a heart attack at 40, but that is another story. Also, I doubt I would care as much as I do. The pain was inconvenient before and after surgery, but really not THAT bad. I am mostly bummed because I can't play hockey or racquetball, etc. I am essentially pissed because it is like being fat again...except I have to work out in painful, un-fun ways. Recovery is actually similar to losing weight; you have to pay a price to unlock the door to fun.

After the injury I actually joked (with a little serious bitterness) that being healthy and active was as dangerous as being fat and sedentary; and that perhaps the best thing would be to use a recumbent bike at 2 mph for 16 hours a day...and eat only celery and multivitamins.
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post

Bigfieroman

2416 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Thanks again everyone.

I did send my story to WW a couple of times, and I have never heard back. And I don't think I am quite significant enough for national TV, most of the major talk shows have had people that lost more than I did.
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post

Bigfieroman

2416 posts
Member since Nov 2000

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I've not commented to date on this thread, but, I've lost about 10% of my weight over a year and I did it the same way, diet and cardio.

Too bad about your injury. To be absolutely blunt, those sports are the sports of the young, and you can get injured pretty quickly in any of them if you are middle aged. I do my cardio on a stationary bike, a good one, a Tunturi Ergometer. I use dumbbells too, but moderate weight because I'm 60 years old.

I think your achievement should be sent to Oprah, while she is still on the air. If she featured your story, she'd likely pick up the tab for the plastic surgery.

In the meanwhile, I hope you are using an abdominal support. That will help the stretched skin knit, but, in the long run, you'll want that operation I expect.

The real benefit won't show up for a few years. When you are 60 and folks tell you that you look 50, then you'll get the benefit. When you can still do an hour of cardio and lift significant weight and have no high blood pressure, no diabetes, and no heart condition. That will be the payoff.

Good for you.

Arn

Arn,

Congrats on your own success! It sounds like you have a lot of resolve, good job!

For the record, I am 26 years old. I realize the biggest benefits (living past 50, for instance) will become evident later. After a year, the skin has tightened somewhat (10-20%), but it is still very apparent. I have learned to cope with it...I still want it gone, but I know I will never spend the money on something like that, even if I had it. Apparently I need some kind of lift that is basically removing a several-inch-wide belt of skin from all the way around my waist. It is far more involved than an abdominoplasty.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
26!? You look a lot older when you started this. You know that you are doing what is best for you. I have shown this thread to friends and family in the past. Probably will do it again. Very inspirational.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Getting ready to lose 80 pounds and thought I would see how you were still doing.
I hope all is well with you.

Weightwatchers, no cheating, & excercize, right?
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2011 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Self serving bump for an update.. How are you holding up? This is the thread that inspired me to start losing weight this year, I have now lost 44 pounds and am 24 from my short term goal of 200, 44 from my ideal weight. (So half way to ideal weight)

Thanks for posting this thread, it has helped a lot.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock