Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Mailbox 5, plows and stupid people 0 (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Mailbox 5, plows and stupid people 0 by 84fiero123
Started on: 12-27-2007 08:15 PM
Replies: 122
Last post by: jaskispyder on 01-18-2012 01:43 PM
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Did I tell you guys about the neighbor a few miles down the road who came home one night back in the summer and took the whole thing down, post and all?

No, you have the BEST Neighbor stories, lets hear it (and hows the new next door neighbor doing?)

Edit to Say I own page 2

[This message has been edited by Back On Holiday (edited 09-25-2008).]

IP: Logged
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
It takes so little to amuse you guys.

Well this one night around 9 PM we were watching TV with the PIP on in the corner of the TV of the driveway.

We were all watching a movie and then I noticed a set of parking lights off in the woods across the street just beyond our mail box. I thought it was someone from next door who had backed out of their driveway drunk and gone off into the woods.

Little did I know it was an older neighbor from a couple of miles down the road.

Anyway knowing my neighbors next door are drunken nuts I strapped on a Glock grabbed a Mag Light and went outside to see what happened.

Well some young girl was driving by and had already stopped and got out of her truck to see what had happened. The guy had gotten out of his car and was staggering around like he was drunk or in real bad shape from the wreck. He staggered across the street to my driveway and asked to use the phone. I picked up the phone in my shop and Melanie was talking on it in the house. So I asked her to hang up so this guy could call his brother to come get him. He did and his speech was so slurred and he could not walk, so I had Melanie call for an ambulance.

Well let me tell you the response time for police here is anywhere from 20 min to 2 hours but that night they made here before the ambulance and the hospital is only 5 min away. And the ambulance was here in under 3.

We had 4 police cars, one ambulance, 2 fire trucks (one was a ladder truck), one wrecker and traffic blocked up all the way to Rt. 4 a half mile away in about 15 min.

There is never any traffic on our road after 9 at night, except that night.

Well come to find out the guy had a stroke a few years back, his 4th. That was the reason his speech was so slurred and he staggered so bad. They took my license after my first stroke for almost 6 months. For some reason the doctors never took his.

Well anyway his brother showed up after a while and asked us what happened. We showed him the mailbox and he said he would fix it in the morning and tried to pick it up. Notice I said tried, he almost got a hernia. I said I’d get it in the morning, he said he would be happy to help me fix the post in the morning.

He had sheared of the bolts that hold the post into a 55 gallon drum buried in the ground filled with concrete. It is made so that if you hit the post solid it will shear off the bolts.

Well the next day I went over with my buddy and we picked up the mailbox and post and put them in the back of his pickup. Brought them over to my shop to find the only real damage was one of the chain links the previous owner had welded on had broken off.

I welded a new one on, repainted everything and the guys brother showed up the day after and helped me put it back up.

We watched the video of the accident afterwards and he never even put his brake lights on. Drove right over my mailbox and post and then off into the woods. He busted a headlight front drivers side fender and windshield.

He is luck he didn’t get killed.

Steve

I tired of typing right now and will post about the next door neighbors later.

Oh ya,

I do have the whole thing on a DVD I made from the new digital DVR I put in to record our next door neighbors escapades. But with dial up there is no way I am trying to post it here.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 09-25-2008).]

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
so does that make it Mailbox 5, Plows and stupid people 1 ?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

so does that make it Mailbox 5, Plows and stupid people 1 ?

Not sure,

Maybe mailbox 5 1/2, stupid people 1/2 the mailbox really wasn't hurt.

------------------

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Not sure,

Maybe mailbox 5 1/2, stupid people 1/2 the mailbox really wasn't hurt.

I would go with who got the most damage as the loser... a couple shear bolts and a little bit of chain VS alot of truck damage....

Mailbox 6, Stupid people 0
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Do we have any people handy from Oregon?

The mailbox mods here are funny, mostly functional, and apparently illegal in some places.

When I was in Oregon (Portland corner) a number of years ago, all the mailboxes were mounted on these big loop shaped things. The people I was with didn't know why and I forgot about it until I saw the reason on either a Discovery or History channel program.

You hit a normal mailbox. The post often breaks and the thing comes thru the windshield. It can be lethal.

The idea with these big loop mounts is you hit one and the whole thing breaks off and rolls over the car most of the time. If you don't hit it hard enough to break, it folds away from you boxes and all.

I'm told it also reduces vandalism since there is enough metal in the base to really hang it up under vehicles that would be large enough to run over many traditional installations. The mounting brackets for the boxes are also pretty tough so the boxes stay attached when the base is hit.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Well he got it, the oil guy delivered oil yesterday and backed out of the driveway right over the box, post and all. Knocked the box and everything right down. I got it on video with the driveway camera but with dial up I don’t think I will ever get the video on here.

Steve

------------------

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Well he got it, the oil guy delivered oil yesterday and backed out of the driveway right over the box, post and all. Knocked the box and everything right down. I got it on video with the driveway camera but with dial up I don’t think I will ever get the video on here.

Steve

Another Chapter! - u should burn it to CD and mail it to one of us, im sure it would be a classic
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
How's it holding up?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
One small dent in the front where a plow must have hit it good with just the top edge. Nothing serious.

It did get hit the last storm pretty good and swung for about 5 minutes. I really get a kick out of it, it never has gotten hurt. Watching it swing after the plow hits it is great.

With over 1200 views I guess I will have to burn a CD and send it to someone next time it gets hit by the town plow.

All I have is dial up so it would take a whole day to load a video, I know I tried one time and gave up after about 8 hrs.

We have another storm coming next week I am sure, if someone wants to PM me an address I will be happy to burn them a CD if they have a high speed connection and are willing to post it.

Even the guys who drive the town plows know of it and me. They stopped the last time I had to remount it and asked if I hit it with my plow. I had to laugh and so did they when I told them the oil delivery truck backed over it.

Steve

------------------

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
you should have a mail box cam.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

With over 1200 views I guess I will have to burn a CD and send it to someone next time it gets hit by the town plow.

All I have is dial up so it would take a whole day to load a video, I know I tried one time and gave up after about 8 hrs.

We have another storm coming next week I am sure, if someone wants to PM me an address I will be happy to burn them a CD if they have a high speed connection and are willing to post it.

PM Sent.
vinny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
I know it seems funny but here in MS your mailbox and post must be able to be easily broken away. Lets put it this way. If someone loses control of there vehicle and hits your mailbox and causes injury or death YOU the owner of the mailbox is responsible. A steel pipe, cross tie, concrete, brick,.......etc. agaist the law. You may want to check it out.

Vinny
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vinny:

I know it seems funny but here in MS your mailbox and post must be able to be easily broken away. Lets put it this way. If someone loses control of there vehicle and hits your mailbox and causes injury or death YOU the owner of the mailbox is responsible. A steel pipe, cross tie, concrete, brick,.......etc. agaist the law. You may want to check it out.

Vinny

I believe his mailbox is designed to swing all the way around, or break off at the main pole if it should be hit at the pole.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero go fast:
you should have a mail box cam.

Well we have a security camera on the end of the driveway and it is hooked up to a DVR with a hard drive that runs 24/7 because or last neighbors. You can see the mailbox quite well in it. And when I replay it I can zoom right in on the mailbox.

Originally posted by Synthesis:
PM Sent.

Just got up from my nap and got it.

Originally posted by vinny:

Vinny

Read my post at the top of this page.
And as Synthesis said it does brake at the base if the post is hit directly. the box Is on chains and swings away when hit.

I would think there is a property damage issue here that may differ from in MS. I have not had any complaints from the mail delivery driver, police, plow drivers, (Who Love it, I think they like trying to get it to swing over the top pipe), or the guy who hit it with his car. See if someone hit’s a peace of property, mailbox with a car they are responsible the driver for any damage to the mailbox.

I will take a few pictures of local mailboxes and put them on the DVD I send Synthesis to post. I have the one of the guy hitting it with his car saved on a DVD already and will try and get one of the next time the plow truck hits on the same DVD so all can enjoy it as much as I do.

Steve

------------------

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
I love this thread
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

I love this thread

It keeps going....and going...and going.......
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
Any updates steve? Videos?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Any updates steve? Videos?

It was hit by the plow the storm before last but I hit the wrong button on the DVR and erased it from the hard drive before I realized.

We have been remodeling the living room and all the DVD’s got moved all around and I am still looking for the ones I already have.

Synthesis has kindly given me his address and will post any videos I send him as soon as I can find them.

With all the snow we have gotten lately I haven’t had time to fart never mind look for the DVD’s I already have made.

I hope to be able to make one of the box getting hit the next storm. If I can find the one of my neighbor running it down I will send it off to him as soon as I find it.

I got to get into looking for those DVD’s , we must have a hundred DVD’s and VHS tapes of the mail box and neighbors. I’m saving them but I have to find the right ones for you guys.

Steve

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Ok guys, I finally found a few mailbox videos for ya. I packed them in a mailer and will be sending them off to Chris, Synthesis tomorrow. If all goes well and he gets them undamaged you may get to see some of the mailbox getting hit. By,

A plow,
A oil truck,
And last but not least the neighbor running it right over, that is a long one about 30 min and includes the ambulance arrivals and all. But at night.

Steve

------------------

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Ok guys, I finally found a few mailbox videos for ya. I packed them in a mailer and will be sending them off to Chris, Synthesis tomorrow. If all goes well and he gets them undamaged you may get to see some of the mailbox getting hit. By,

A plow,
A oil truck,
And last but not least the neighbor running it right over, that is a long one about 30 min and includes the ambulance arrivals and all. But at night.

Steve

WOOT! Looking forward to these!
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

WOOT! Looking forward to these!

It takes so little to make you guys happy.
Steve

------------------

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
If I had a a video for ever idiot driver who almost hit me -we call these near misses (Not my fault) I would have enuf video for an entire DVD BOX SET to show at a drivers ED class on what NOT to do, and how to respect other drivers (especially those who are dropping your Victorias secret and your Pron) at your house. Oh yes, UPSMen and Mailmen do know what you are getting... we are NOT stupid!
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Hehehehehe...

Part 1 is up.

84Fiero123's Indestructable Mailbox of Doom! Part 1
In this video, a daring Plow Truck Driver attempts to defeat the IMoD, and FAILS! Muahahahaha

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Chris I got to ask though how long did that take to get send?

Happy guys?

If you pay attention it is the side wing blade that is the one that hit’s the mail box, and this was a light hit. Last year the guys actually hit it so hard it swung it all the way around.

Steve

------------------

Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post
so this isnt quite a mailbox story but it fits...
i know a guy who worked in road construction, and one time there was a group of kids going along hitting over all their road cones, which they would then have to set back up. they called the police, gave the license plate number, the kids got a warning and were back at it. they called it in again, this time police did NOTHING about it. so they made a cement cylinder that fit into the cones, and put it in a cone that was in the middle of the row, and then sat down and waited. sure enough, about 4:00PM the kids come back again, knocking over cones with a baseball bat, and they had a kid in the truck bed watching, the kid in the drivers side backseat was leaning out hitting the cones. they get to the cemented cone, hit it, the bat bounces back and hits the kid in the truck bed in the face, breaking his nose and knocking him out instantly, he was lucky he didnt fall out of the bed, and the kid with the bat nearly broke his arm. the workers watched them drive off, and as soon as they were out of sight, grabbed the cement cylinder out, and put it into the highway they were building. the cops came around an hour later asking about it, but since there was no proof of the cylinder (currently sitting in cement inside the road) nothing could be charged, especially since the workers had reported the kids twice and the cops had done nothing about it. the kid who was in the truck bed woke up at about midnight that day, and the kid with the bat was pulled from the wrestling team for A) getting himself in trouble with the police B) his arm barely worked now anyway. this was a looong time ago, back before criminals began winning law suits against their victims, so today u would never get away with it, but its pretty well what the kids deserved IMO.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Chris I got to ask though how long did that take to get send?

Happy guys?

If you pay attention it is the side wing blade that is the one that hit’s the mail box, and this was a light hit. Last year the guys actually hit it so hard it swung it all the way around.

Steve

That video took about 20 minutes total. Pop the disc in, copy it to the PC, and convert it to AVI. Then upload to Youtube. Youtube itself only took about 30 seconds.

The second video is 650+ MB, and needs to be converted because there are several videos in one single file.
The camera system you have doesn't record in a standard format, it puts it into a DVD-RAM format and needs to be converted and demuxed. That is what I am doing with the second one currently.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I will remember that next time I send you a DVD to load, as I can also change the format of it. Thanks again Chris.

I tried one time to load one of these to you tube and let it load for hours until I finally gave up.

Steve

------------------

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
funny thing, my inlaws life just on the edge of the city and their neighbors mail box got taken out by the plow a week or so ago,
we had to get a pic of there new setup, (hopfully temporary)
but the mailbox is mounted on top of a file cabinet
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
AIM:Onefast2M8
MSN Onefast2M6@hotmail.com
00 GTI VR6
07 G6 GTP

WTB: manual shift arms

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
This one took a while, and the video conversion process compressed the image. Not sure why...

84Fiero123's Indestructable Mailbox of Doom! Part 2

In this video, an evil Fuel Oil driver flattens the IMoD! Will it survive? Stay tuned!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:
84Fiero123's Indestructable Mailbox of Doom! Part 2[/b]
In this video, an evil Fuel Oil driver flattens the IMoD! Will it survive? Stay tuned!

LOL dam I love your commentary Chris.
Well he didn’t really flatten the mailbox, he just sheared the bolts holding the base onto the concrete base.

If you watch closely it looks like he didn’t even see the car coming down the hill as he was backing out and almost hit that car as well.

We did call the oil company and tell them to call the driver and have him check the truck to make sure that he didn’t put a hole in the truck.

We also told them that if it was leaking to give us a call. When they asked why Melanie told them we would go with 5 gallon buckets and catch the oil as it spilled.

Please excuse my profane comments as I walk up to check the damage.

And by the way the only damage was the shear bolts holding the mailbox down.

I do love the name you gave the box Chris.

The Indestructible Mailbox of Doom!

Steve

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Check the car that goes by just before the truck hit the mailbox.
I don't think the truck driver ever saw it. he went into the road with a bit of speed.
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
That oil truck guy is a complete idiot, as a professional delivery driver myself you NEVER back out onto a road unless you F'D Up, he should have backed first into the driveway and did his business, pulling straight out he wouldnt have hit the mailbox, and like you guys mentioned the near MISS of the car going by.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I will get the rest up soon.
Been very busy with the network upgrade and server moves at work.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
No hurry Chris, some of those are over a year old anyway.

The last one is of my neighbor running it over, depending on how much you get up it will show him running it right down and then the ambulance fire trucks arriving.

And thanks again for taking the time to post these.

Steve

------------------

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
Winter is coming, the Start of a NEW Mailbox Chapter!
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
Ha that is awesome, This is my new fave thread.
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slinger:

Ha that is awesome, This is my new fave thread.

Think thats good, did you read this one?

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors my A$$
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
Wow i just read that whole thread.

Its funny that i am 21 and i think the same way Steve does. I cant stand kids or adults that pull that kind of stuff.

Yea i might have the occasional burnout from my future hot rod but that's a sound most can fall asleep to
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
Come on Steve, I know it had to snow at the beginning of the week
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock