Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Laffer: 2011 'Tax' Collapse Coming (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Laffer: 2011 'Tax' Collapse Coming by avengador1
Started on: 06-08-2010 03:55 PM
Replies: 46
Last post by: newf on 06-10-2010 10:19 PM
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:
We ALWAYS said BIG peeps about the debt.

We just wanted the solution to be LESS SPENDING by the government.

Do you REALLY think that THIS congress, no matter how much taxes they get their hands on, aren't going to STILL SPEND more than they take in?

of course not. Carter was the ONLY administration in recent history to do such a silly thing.
IP: Logged
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Excuse ME?? Wishfuly thinking? Revisionist history?? There is only one valid reason for running a budget deficit and that is to finance a war. We haven't been financing a war with a deficit since Korea or before. We've been financing social programs and you've NEVER heard me say that was OK.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

yup.
maybe some of these "fiscal conservatives" should actually look at some truths, and not their emotions

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Are you truly that ignorant?

Carter's Budgets were in deficit EVERY YEAR. On top of that, he had the BRILLIANT idea of instituting an oil "Windfall Profit Tax" knowing full well that it would reduce domestic oil production at the expense of a short term bump in tax revenues, and it did, reducing domestic oil production by as much as 8% at a time the country was dealing with gas lines and gas shortages. Yeah, Carter, now there's a great economic model. Let's go back to the "misery index"....................

John Stricker

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

of course not. Carter was the ONLY administration in recent history to do such a silly thing.

ray b

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

We ALWAYS said BIG peeps about the debt.

We just wanted the solution to be LESS SPENDING by the government.

Do you REALLY think that THIS congress, no matter how much taxes they get their hands on, aren't going to STILL SPEND more than they take in?

your peeps were always about how VOODOO was going to fix the debts
and every budget under raygun bush1 and BuSh2 was written in RED INK
and only now is it a big deal???
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
No, Ray, it was a big deal then. It was a big deal under GW Bush. The only time in recent history the budget was semi balanced was under Clinton (good for him) and was with a REPUBLICAN CONGRESS. You know, those guys charged under the Constitution with taking care of the finances of the United States Government?? You do know it's THEIR responsibility and not the President's, right?

John Stricker

Originally posted by ray b:

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

Spending and budgets are done by the Congress. A Republican Congress is the only time in modetate times there was a balance budget. There has never been a balance budget or surplus with a Democrat Congress.

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

That's right, but if we QUIT ADDING TO IT over time, it will be reduced and eventually paid off. If we keep adding to it it will never be paid off.

John Stricker

Reduced and paid off how? I assume there is interest accumulating on that debt too. The U.S. has to raise taxes sometime soon to attempt to get a handle on things IMO. Unfortunately it's political suicide to do, so there is little will to do it.

Having said that I do get the point about reducing the size of Government.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 06-10-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock