Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Garage Heater Opinions...Torpedo - vs - "Mushroom" convection style

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Garage Heater Opinions...Torpedo - vs - "Mushroom" convection style by Racingman24
Started on: 01-10-2010 04:49 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Raydar on 01-10-2010 07:36 PM
Racingman24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
I need a garage heater, and i'm just torn on which style I should go with.

I'm trying to decide between The Torpedo style, like this:

And the stack convection style like this:

I can get them both for the same price of 80 bucks new.

The torpedo has heat settings of 30-50k btu

The convection has 50-80k btu

I'm going to be heating 2 different garages, My own and the one where my boat is parked. Both are 2 stall, although mine is much smaller and well insulated. The other is a nice sized 2 car, with wall insulation, but no roof insulation.

I'm trying to decide which will put out good heat, quickly, and evenly. I like the smaller one for conservation of Propane, but I like the convection for 360 degree heat.

Sooo....just looking for some personal opinions on which way I should go.

Eric

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over"
88 base coupe: "She thinks my tractor's sexy..... it really turns 'er on"
"I drive Sideways"

Said by Crazy Dave "You can take Steve out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of Steve."

(\__/)
(='.'=) <<<< Cute Bunny.
(")_(")

[This message has been edited by Racingman24 (edited 01-10-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SGS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SGSSend a Private Message to SGSDirect Link to This Post
Another option would be in infrared heater. It would work better than the others in the garage with the uninsulated ceiling.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by SGS:

Another option would be in infrared heater. It would work better than the others in the garage with the uninsulated ceiling.

Though about that too, but the ones I've seen are really expensive. I'm just looking for a fairly cheap, portable heater.

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

Eric,

Good talking to you last night.

I would be concerned about using either one in a confined space and carbon moncoxide. Make sure you vent properly or have a good fresh air source.

This has kept me from using my garge to work on cars over the winter months.

Jeff,
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2010 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
I have one of the Mr. Heater convection types (your bottom picture)...

Its pretty good, but hard on the propane running full blast. With that one, one thing you will want to do is set up a fan blowing across the top to circulate the warm air, otherwise you end up with "spot heat" (it'll be warm around the heater, but cold 10 feet away)
SGS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SGSSend a Private Message to SGSDirect Link to This Post
Just use a CO detector. Garages usually have enough leakage around the door that it's not that big of a deal. I run my 30,000 BTU ventless gas fireplace in the house a lot, and have never had a problem.

Also, some of the better heaters have oxygen depletion safeties on them that will shut the heater off before there's any danger of CO.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Get the torpedo, it will heat up the area much quicker than the convection style. It will take forever for the convection style to heat a garage. I used a torpedo type with a thermostat and set it to about 50F and that is plenty warm when I am working. I have an uninsulated ceiling, but walls and door are insulated...

J.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2010 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Get the torpedo, it will heat up the area much quicker than the convection style. It will take forever for the convection style to heat a garage. I used a torpedo type with a thermostat and set it to about 50F and that is plenty warm when I am working. I have an uninsulated ceiling, but walls and door are insulated...

J.

My mushroom style will heat a 2-car garage in about 20 minutes going full blast, (just enough time for a coffee) then its just a matter of turning it down to save propane, and up again when it starts to get cool.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-10-2010 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I have one of the Mr. Heater convection types (your bottom picture)...

Its pretty good, but hard on the propane running full blast. With that one, one thing you will want to do is set up a fan blowing across the top to circulate the warm air, otherwise you end up with "spot heat" (it'll be warm around the heater, but cold 10 feet away)

I had the same problem with mine. It was toasty if you stood beside it, but walk across the garage and you froze.

If i had it to do over again it will be forced air of some sort.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I assume theyre propane. I have an 80K BTU kerosene mushroom style i keep in the house in case of a power outage. It keeps up to 3 rooms pretty warm even in very cold weather. I have a buddy who has a home shop and he has the torpedo type he uses as his sole heat in his garage (2 1/2 car). My experience being around both of those, I think one with a blower would be better. Forced air heat just always seems to work better than just convection. The mushroom would prob be good to maintain heat once its warm. For heating it up quick and warm, Id go with the torpedo. It would also be useful if you have to work on something outside to keep warm where the mushroom one would be pretty worthless.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I've been around folks that use the torpedo ones in their garages and they have worked well. No experience with the mushroom style.
PFF
System Bot
Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post
http://www.thetoolwarehouse...heater-mh175ktr.aspx I have this in a 30' X 40' uninsulated garage. It was 12 degrees yesterday when i turned it on. I use diesel fuel ...less smell and more heat than kerosene... In 25 minutes i went back to the garage to find it a nice and toasty 70 degrees.. I highly suggest this type of heater...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SGS:

I've got one of those. Looks like an upside down satellite dish on a post.
It's designed to sit on a table top, so it puts out a bunch of light, too. Cost about $80.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock