Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  vacuum forming questions can anyone help??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

vacuum forming questions can anyone help?? by turboguy327
Started on: 02-26-2009 09:35 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Lambo nut on 02-26-2009 03:02 PM
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
i am trying to vacuum form some trim pieces. i know how to do the basic setup and everything. im just not sure what type of plastic or what thickness to get. i wont need to support any weight. it will need to hold upbto about 150 degrees. i was going to order 1/16 ABS but wanted to get some opionions from some of you guys first. sorry about spelling mistakes if there are any. first time posting from my PDA.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotDirect Link to This Post
Most interior parts have been made out of PE, HDPE, PP, PVC or ABS.
Trim is mainly HDPE (high density polyethylene) or PE (polyethylene). If I had to chose for ease of molding, I would stick with these two.
If the part is not going to be pre-colored, These two do not take paint very well, but ABS will. Many things to consider.
The thickness depends on where and how the part is going to be used.

(oh yeah, I have been in injection molding for 30+ years, so if anyone needs some input, I am always up to it)

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 02-26-2009).]

turboguy327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
I have done injection molding for a couple years but all the people that know vacuum molding are laid off. I did a HID retrofit and would like to give it a finished look. I want it to end up black. The plastic will be sealed inside the headlight housing. I also need to be able to use my home shop vac to do the forming. Any ideas??

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/063192.html

If you look in that thread I want to vacuum form a trim around the inside of the housings to cover everything but the projector.
Joe Torma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
I built my own vacuum forming setup that can handle almost 2'x3'.

I have used HDPE and LDPE with good results. LDPE won't work for you, but HD will. It should hold up well, but ABS is more commonly used in cars. 1/16" will make for a fairly rigid piece.

The only issue(for me) is where to get colored sheets of plastic. Any help there is appreciated!

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 02-26-2009).]

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turboguy327:

i am trying to vacuum form some trim pieces. i know how to do the basic setup and everything. im just not sure what type of plastic or what thickness to get. i wont need to support any weight. it will need to hold upbto about 150 degrees. i was going to order 1/16 ABS but wanted to get some opionions from some of you guys first. sorry about spelling mistakes if there are any. first time posting from my PDA.

Check this!
http://www.tk560.com/stormtrooper.html

Video here: http://www.imperial-armor.com/videos.html

[This message has been edited by texasfiero (edited 02-26-2009).]

Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
You may want to check the 501st legion website. Lots of helpful ppl there too. I know there are some guys in Toronto that are very familiar with vacuu-forming.
I think their webite is www.501st.com

PS - Webster eh? I was born and raised in Chili!

[This message has been edited by Darth88Formula (edited 02-26-2009).]

turboguy327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
Yea. I hate it. So much has changed in the past 3 years. What used to be a 10 minute drive now takes over an hour. They built huge malls and crap and left all the 1 lane roads. I just bought a house in sodus. Out by spencer speedway which will be nice in the summertime. About 5 minutes from sodus point
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
there is no such thing as vacuum
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

there is no such thing as vacuum

Well, that sucks!!

kevin

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock