Want to dissasemble a 1/64 scale Hotwheels car nicely by 2.5
Started on: 01-23-2009 03:01 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: 2.5 on 01-27-2009 03:16 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I have a new Hotwheels 1/64 car I would like to take apart, and paint the body with a spray can of autobody paint, then put back together so it looks like it came that way. This car seems to be put together with rivets in the bottom, they appear to be plastic.
My thoughts are I could drill out the rivets but don't know how to put back together, is there a way without buying a tiny rivet gun and rivets?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I used a dremel to get rid of the old one, and I've used JBWeld-type stuff to attach it back together. Any sort of glue would probably be ok - gorilla glue, sho goo, crazy-glue might 'frost" the plastic windows, though!
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, you can drill them out.
and, good chace you can use a screw in it places. if you glue it, make sure the glue vaopr doesnt frost the plastic, as mentioned above. Crazy Glue does do that. and some epoxies will too.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I will look for screws that fit and try them, I might have some around. Do you know of a glue that for sure does not "frost" the windows?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
well, FieroRumor mentioned JB Weld. I'v used JB Weld with many plastic with good results. I'd trust it.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Just remember that some of those two-part epoxies get HOT!

On a slightly larger car, I once drilled it out and used screws.
brokeagain

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brokeagainSend a Private Message to brokeagainDirect Link to This Post
I have always used hot glue to put them back together. Its also a good time to find nicer wheels when you have them apart too.Show pics when you are done!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I hope to at get started this weekend. Whenever I am done I will post pics.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2009 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Yes, please do.

I'd like to get into customizing Hot Wheels. I have a couple thousand of them. Make sure that you strip the paint off of the body before you paint.

The thing I would like to figure out is how to remove and replace/swap axles and wheels.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Before and after pics would be cool.

Brad
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
A couple of things. I take 1/64 HO cars apart. I drill out rivet with as small a bit as possible. Hobby shops sell really tiny screws you can use. I make mine into keychains of my cars to keep track of which is which keys. Use a model train paint and an airbrush if you can find right color (Flowquil). Its high solids like basecoat/ clearcoat and does not cover in any details. Thats what they use for professionally painted things like HO trains. Regular spray paints or model spray cans are pretty thick and do fill in lots of minor details.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Here is What I am starting with, 1970 Buick GSX. The package says 2009 new models so this just came out.

Disassembled:

Closeup of Chassis, the tires do not appear to come off of the axles, the axles are wedged in by plastic tabs, so the best way to remove the axle would be if one could remove a tire. I intend to keep these wheels, even though they are larger than my real car target.

Since this is the 1972 Skylark I intend to make it look like, I will be shaving off the spoiler and hood tach, as well as the hood scoops which may need some filler applied since they are recessed a bit. I also want to paint the tail lights red and might paint the top lip of the grille blue so it looks more like the 72.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
I kind of screwed up and have larger than intended holes in the chassis where the rivets were, which were aluminum. I will likely be gluing it back together.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You can use some washers, or make your own from some scrap metal or sheet plastic.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2009 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Instead of removing a wheel to take out the axle, I suggest that you melt away or cut away the tabs holding the axle in. Pulling the wheel off is only going to bend the axle. Of course, unless you plan on swapping different wheels like some Real Riders, then you don't have to take the axle off at all.

But you were probably just answering my question, in which case, cool. Plus for you.

(Edit. I already had a plus for you.)

[This message has been edited by WhiteDevil88 (edited 01-24-2009).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I was just answering your question. If the tabs were altered I would suspect putting an axle back in would mean it would not stay straight or roll properly. Maybe if they could be heated and bent, then bent back but that might be hard to do with accurracy. I plan to just keep these axles in mine.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
Pic with dremel grided and sanded off spoiler, tach and scoops.

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
What are you going to use to strip the paint?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I actually just sanded the whole thing, didn't strip it, partly because i don't have stripper and It would stink up the garage so bad I would have to wait another day. The sandable primer I have and paint are laquer which should go on it ok.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Ladies and gentlemen I give you my 1st Hotwheels customization.

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2009 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
You've inspired me. I'm going to have to try it out.
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2009 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, very nice! I have several Camaros but none are the correct color. Would be sweet to paint one to match my ol' Baby!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2009 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Take pictures of your licence plate and reduce them down to fit, glue them on.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2009 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
That would be neat. Wonder if I could reduce them enough and still be readable..

Hey Whitedevil88 now if you get ione going you hafta post pices too you know.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2009 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1/64 on keychains for my Magnum and Coronet. I cant get a clear picture for you to work even on Maacro. But both plates are viewable, but a magnifing glass helps.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2009 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I took my pics with the car in the middle maybe taking up 10% of the screen, then used photoshop to crop them closer to the car. You could try that.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock