Started on: 11-26-2008 08:29 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Intel on 11-28-2008 09:19 AM
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2008 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
I am looking for a metal ball. steel or aluminum. Right around 2-2.5 inches. Im using it for a shifter knob so about the size of a pool ball would work. Anybody know someplace I could order something like that?? I have a access to machines to drill and tap I just need the metal stock. I found a shift knob exatly like I want but I dont want to spend 170 bucks on it.

[This message has been edited by turboguy327 (edited 11-27-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
red84sematt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red84semattSend a Private Message to red84semattDirect Link to This Post
sorry, can't help ya, but ill keep a eye out, i may run into one.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
AJ7

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post
sounds like you want something more like 2"-2.5" and sorry cant help ya...
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2008 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
A 4" shift knob? Wow, compensating for something?
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2008 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
yeah, transmission internals will scream with joy at a 5 pound shift ball
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
yea. maybe a little smaller than that. i was tired and thinkin to fast. I am not compensating for anything at all. A couple of my friends where hangin out and a guy had one in his car and it looked sweet and it came with the car when he bought it so we had no idea where to go to get one from,
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of brass balls, but they're a matched set, and I'm keeping 'em.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
hope you wear a leather glove when shifting, a large metal ball would suck in the winter trying to shift, and your hand gets stuck to it!

matthew
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

hope you wear a leather glove when shifting, a large metal ball would suck in the winter trying to shift, and your hand gets stuck to it!

matthew

Won't be much fun in the height of summer, either.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
There aren't metal, but kind of cool. Good luck with your search.

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Trailer hitch ball?
Cheap, under 10 bucks and you can get it in any size from 1 7/8” to 2 5/8”

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
My dad worked in a steel mill and would bring home damaged ball bearings that were a few inches round. I have no idea where you would find one these days.
Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Won't be much fun in the height of summer, either.

had something like that when I lived in Houston, and would have to leave a rag in the car to use until the A/C kicked in.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gecko:

had something like that when I lived in Houston, and would have to leave a rag in the car to use until the A/C kicked in.

Yeah, my brother has a Hurst T-grip shifter (like the one below) in his Toyota and you have to use a rag or something in the summer or it burns your hand (no A/C in his Toyota...)

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 11-27-2008).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Trailer hitch ball?
Cheap, under 10 bucks and you can get it in any size from 1 7/8” to 2 5/8”

Steve

That's the first source I thought of to. Other then that maybe, http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search "steel ball". It comes up with a assortment of sizes from .0468" to 4-1/2" Dia.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 11-27-2008).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2008 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:
......damaged ball bearings that were a few inches round. I have no idea where you would find one these days.

cliffw raises hand.
Baseball size. Hardball or softball ? I am thinking basketball size might be too big. Not that I have one that big but I have seen 'em.

Originally posted by turboguy327:
I have a access to machines to drill and tap I just need the metal stock.

heh heh heh, what I got is some tough azz metal. Not sure what it is but it will not nick or even slightly dent. Your gonna eat up some drill bits boring a hole.
I have a few somewhere. Have not seen them in years. I know where a couple are but I have them displayed.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2008 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
i though i had posted this already, but it dont see it, guess i f'ed up soemthing lol...

friend had something like your looking for, he used a pool Q ball, and had it powdercoated "chrome" or silver or whatever color it was, couldnt tell that it wasnt metal, even got hot/cold like metal did, just not the the same extent :P
Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2008 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:
My dad worked in a steel mill and would bring home damaged ball bearings that were a few inches round. I have no idea where you would find one these days.

Several years ago I tried drilling a hole in a SKF ball bearing about 2" in diameter using a lathe....noooooo luck.... I could barely make a visible mark. I had to weld a nut to it instead. That stuff is hard!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock