Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Are you Green? Decreasing your carbon footprint? Saving the rainforest?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Are you Green? Decreasing your carbon footprint? Saving the rainforest? by maryjane
Started on: 10-12-2008 01:56 PM
Replies: 30
Last post by: DtheC on 10-15-2008 04:40 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Tough crap!! I've spent the last 36 hrs negating all your efforts.

Started Friday morning about 11 am.

Jane had just lit this one off. The dry pine needles really took off & before she knew it, it was roaring.

Here's where I catnapped Friday night, as I stayed up all night watching the 6 burning piles.
It was NOT a comfortable night at all.

4 PM Saturday evening. I had not slept since 6am Fri morning.

About 4:am Sat morning, these 2 scared the crap out of me when they suddenly jumped up in the window of my Fiero as I dozed a little bit.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-12-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post10-12-2008 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Somehow i don't think i qualify either. I just tossed a bag of 'recycle' material into the 'trash' bin as i ran out of room.

Ya, sleeping in a fiero sux.. i had to do that on the way back from the 25th for a couple of hours at a gas station ( next time ill stay an extra night and come home during the next morning.. i guess i'm not 25 anymore..)
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Sawing up one of 4 big oak trees the hurricane blew down. I nearly filled my 20' ft trailer with 24" long firewood just from the branches of this one tree.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2008 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
I WANT YOUR PROPERTY, DUDE

We had our own burn here last night, but nothing compared to THAT

(green?, sheet, my garage heat runs on used motor oil. Its home-built out of an old BBQ propane tank. How much less "green" can one get? )
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
GOD BLESS YOU, mj.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post10-12-2008 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Sawing up one of 4 big oak trees the hurricane blew down. I nearly filled my 20' ft trailer with 24" long firewood just from the branches of this one tree.

Wait, you are recycling trees damaged in a natural disaster, you really are green!!!

And i 2nd that note bout wishing i had your land.. hell any land... My little suburban plot wont provide my family with food and fuel when the collapse happens.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 10-12-2008).]

Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2008 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
That is the best OP ever!
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Wait, you are recycling trees damaged in a natural disaster, you really are green!!!

Green my butt.
I'm selling the firewood.

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
My hero! Fighting global bullshit, one tree at a time!
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations. Your Fiero didn't catch fire!
Way to buck a stereotype.
Nice looking pups.
Are they TBD's? (Texas Black Dogs)

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 10-12-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Nice playground ya got there, Don. Any good hunting?
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Man, I love this guy.

For my part I have some old bales of hay that have been "burning" for the better part of a week now. We coulda spread them out over the ground, but this was much more interesting. I started with some old brush, saw the bales and went ahead and put some burning wood on em.
Brad
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Why did you burn it? Seems like a waste of firewood? (then again, you probably have tons of it, right?)
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Nice playground ya got there, Don. Any good hunting?

It rained hard one week ago today. Since then, that part of my property is laced with both deer and hog tracks. I personally do not hunt, but may have to start back doing so if the economy doesn't improve soon.

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Why did you burn it? Seems like a waste of firewood? (then again, you probably have tons of it, right?)

Wrong kind of wood. The piles were all pine limbs and tops left over from logging the place, with a few sweet gums in the mix. Pine burns well in a fireplace, but produces a LOT of resin called creosote, which can easily cause a home to burn down.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-13-2008).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69655 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Congratulations. Your Fiero didn't catch fire!
Way to buck a stereotype.
Nice looking pups.
Are they TBD's? (Texas Black Dogs)

Dunno what breed they are--some kind of lab mix, that someone tossed out at our front gate as puppies 2 yrs ago. Absolutely devoted dogs, and friendly as heck--too friendly for good watchdogs, but they never stray far from me and Jane while we wander around the property. They love the water, which is a good thing, as they also love chasing skunks.

Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! I like the dog friends too

Most people either do not know or do not want to admit that burning wood does not produce anymore gasses than if you were to let it rot on the ground. Happens faster but no extra.

Source that I read about this in was country living magazine many many years ago. As a log home builder and heating exclusively with wood at the time this was of particular interest to me at the time.
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
What???!!! How dare you not reduce your carbon footprint by roasting hot dogs and marshmellows!!!
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Wrong kind of wood. The piles were all pine limbs and tops left over from logging the place, with a few sweet gums in the mix. Pine burns well in a fireplace, but produces a LOT of resin called creosote, which can easily cause a home to burn down.

Ahhh. Gotcha.

Heard about that creosole stuff.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Down with the trees! I don't know why but I've never been able to sleep in my Fiero, I'd have to be REALLY tired. Great seats for driving, horrible for sleeping.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

calamityjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

What???!!! How dare you not reduce your carbon footprint by roasting hot dogs and marshmellows!!!

We didn't have anything long enough to reach the fire without burning our faces off. Those piles were 8 ft high and burned extremely hot. We did consider it though. We don't care about our carbon footprint! BAH!

Jane

------------------
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality

PFF
System Bot
calamityjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Man, I love this guy.

For my part I have some old bales of hay that have been "burning" for the better part of a week now. We coulda spread them out over the ground, but this was much more interesting. I started with some old brush, saw the bales and went ahead and put some burning wood on em.
Brad

Are old bales of hay no longer useful?

Jane

------------------
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by calamityjane:

Are old bales of hay no longer useful?

Jane

These are probably 10 years old, or older in some cases, dumped on our property and forgotten as the vines and weeds took over.

I have 16 acres of "Family Dump" that has been used for at least the last 20 years to store unneeded farm equipment, it seems to have started out with good intentions, but at some point someone used the property to "store" rocks, and metal for the family blacksmith operation. I don't know how many lawn mower blades I have broken this year due to pieces of metal popping up out of the ground where I have had everything cleared for a year or so.

Anyway the hay,
Old hay will cause major problems in horses (I am not sure about cattle). I could have spread them out over the grass, and helped the grass grow stronger, but really that would just mean even more mowing next year. Not to mention after sitting for that long their vitamin content is probably 0. Probably less healthy than eating cardboard. After sitting for that long I couldn't have gave them away around here.

Brad
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Burn one for me Don.

Jim
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Im doing my part. Ive been out flying my electric (lith-ion) RC airplane and helicopter.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
I'm so proud of ya Don... Think I'll drive 20 miles to Greenville to save 10 cents a gal on gas... just to join your fun
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by calamityjane:

We didn't have anything long enough to reach the fire without burning our faces off. Those piles were 8 ft high and burned extremely hot. We did consider it though. We don't care about our carbon footprint! BAH!

Jane

Too bad you didn't have a teenager handy. They know everything, you know.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Green? Of course I'm Green. What's the big deal about being Green? I've been Green for the past 50 years!

Regards,
Tom Green
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Too bad you didn't have a teenager handy. They know everything, you know.

I'll have to remember that rake trick, tho the handle shown is no where near long enough for our fires.

vinny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I'm green. I have a hybrid. My car burns gas and rubber! HA HA

Vinny
DtheC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

These are probably 10 years old, or older in some cases, dumped on our property and forgotten as the vines and weeds took over.
Anyway the hay,
Old hay will cause major problems in horses (I am not sure about cattle). I could have spread them out over the grass, and helped the grass grow stronger, but really that would just mean even more mowing next year. Not to mention after sitting for that long their vitamin content is probably 0. Probably less healthy than eating cardboard. After sitting for that long I couldn't have gave them away around here.
Brad

Could have been sold and shredded as ground cover around new housing / building construction?
Hard to find a buyer, that would work a 1 time purchase, most contractors 'need it now' and haven't the time to find a good deal?
Then again they'd have to be able to pick up, and transport on a 'Questionable' product?

Here In Newton, we have a small outfit that use to chip up pallets ' from Maytag' add some coloring and sell 'Designer Mulch'?
Whirlpool shut down "Maytag" in Maytag's home town, but by then they were getting pallets from a lot of folks. Local tree services don't have to pay landfill charges anymore!

I have to tip my hat to them, they were in the right place, with a good Idea!

Maybe I should look into a gigahougeous transportable chipper, get feed stock for next to nothing cost , sell to Cellulosic Ethanol Plants.

------------------
Ol' Paint, 88 Base coupe auto.
Turning white on top, like owner.
Leaks a little, like owner.
Doesn't smoke....... OK, we're trying to quit.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock