Started on: 10-09-2008 08:40 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: pontiacman63383 on 10-10-2008 07:02 PM
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
This is a 2002 ford focus SVT with a 6 speed trans(please no focus jokes Im freakin out right now) I was intalling some aftermarket oil gauges(pressure and temp) and I am using a spacer between the oil and factory oil cooler. I had installed everything but the oil filter and went to get some dinner. My liitle brother ( Love him to death but wanna kill him sometimes) started the car. I heard it and ran out and shut it off right away. It ran maybe 4 seconds 5 seconds. Clean up the huge mess and throw the filter on it and fill her up with some mobil 1 and my aftermarket guage reads around 65 pounds of pressure but it jumps around and when I hit the throttle it dips a bit before the pressure rises. But the factory gauge reads zero oil pressure. But there is no idiot light for no oil pressure lit up?? What do you guys think I should do?? Trust the new gauge and drive it to work tomorow?? hitch a ride and look it over tomorow?? Its to dark but I dont see a ton of oil in the valve cover. I took the filter back off and its full of oil so oil is moving through the engine. No noises whatsoever. No leaks at all. I cleaned up the mess and there are no leaks. So I should have oil pressure right?? why did the factory gauge suddenly die when it ran with no filter?? Anyone know where the stock sender is?? I will be checking here all night. Thanks for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyDirect Link to This Post
Are the new gauges mechanical or electric? If they're mechanical, some fluctuation is normal, and I'd trust it above the factory one. The connector may have been disconnected by accident, but I would certainly make sure to diagnose the other gauge ASAP. Just starting the car briefly with no filter shouldn't have caused any serious damage.

Personally, I'd probably drive it to work, but that's just me.
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
The new gauges are electric. Is it normal for them to dip a little bit when the engine is revved before raising??
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
It should have a magnetic sump drain plug. If there has been any damage, and the oil is fresh, you should be able to see if any bearing metal has been deposited in the oil. if there isn't any, I guess you were lucky, although it might not show up yet. It would take you longer than 5 seconds to run out and turn it off If the engine was not hot, and it did only run for a few seconds, I doubt there would be any damage, because the oil from before draining it would still be in the journals and bearings.
Is the new gauge mechanical or electrical? If it is mecahnical (actual oil line to the gauge), there might be a small amount of air in the tube, which would compress before the gauge could be operated by the actual oil pressure itself, and could lead to fluctuation and a false reading. No two oil gauges have ever given me the same reading when mounted simultaneousy. But if the factory one doesn't register, and the new one does, I suspect the original connection to the factory gauge has become disconnected.
I suggest running the engine at idle for a few minutes, keeping an eye on the gauge(s), and then drain it and refill with a slightly heavier grade engine oil, just in case some slight damage has been done. add some STP oil treatment to, for the moment.
Good luck! and never leave the keys in your car if you aren't around
nick
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Get it up to temp and see how your pressure does.

I always pull the coil wire when I change my oil, after filling the block back up I run the starter until it has oil pressure. Doesn't take much if you prefill the filter.
Good luck hope its ok in the morning.
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
Yea. Keys stay with me and im gonna wire up a switch to the coil or something now too so it cant start. I doubt the engine has had any damage. I am not so much worried about that as I am the factory gauge not working and which gauge should I trust. All the guys on the focus forum say to just drive it because the PCM would shut the car off if there was no oil pressure. But it stayed running just fine when the filter wasn't on there. And there are a couple of threads where oil starvation occurred and burned up the bearings to so. Plus most people on there are young guys with not much experience and this forum has treated me so well with most of the problems I need help on. So I figured a thread on here wouldn't hurt.
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post

turboguy327

1692 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I think I am gonna get a ride to work and run it when I get home and see if there is oil in the valve cover. It didnt look like much a liitle while ago but its so dark out its hard to tell. Plus ford loves to put those damn deflectors right in the way of seeing in the valve cover.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
You should not see a lot of oil in the valve cover, because it should drain back down through the block and back to the sump very quickly.
I think you are very wise to leave it until you can thoroughly check it out, and monitor it for the first few minutes of the engine running. You will only get a proper idea of the real oil pressure as Jake says, when the engine is at normal running temperature.
Nick
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
If it is a DOHC shouldn't there be oil to lubricate the cams??
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2008 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
yes. But if the oiling system is a recycling one, or a closed circuit system, you won't see so much oil in the valve cover, because it doesn't spray around as much as in an ordinary pushrod valve system. The newer engines need to maintain oil pressure in the valve train, and so it doesn't escape into the valve cover as much.
Nick
better not take my word for the last comment..hope somebody else who deals with that type of engine will confirm, or deny my thoughts
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 10-09-2008).]

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turboguy327:
All the guys on the focus forum say to just drive it because the PCM would shut the car off if there was no oil pressure.

Where are they getting this information?
I wouldnt trust a one of them if they are giving you incorrect information on such a serious matter.

I dont know of a single engine in the world that will shutdown due to low oil. I suppose its possible with the newest engines where everything is monitored and controlled, but I have yet to see or hear of it.

Running dry for a few seconds is no worse than what most people do when they change the oil but dont prefill the filter.
PFF
System Bot
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
Like I said most of them are young kids and just talk and pretend like they know what they are talking about. And since SVT dealerships are few and far between its hard to talk to someone that knows this car. Its a way different car than a regular focus. The steering suspention brakes exhaust computere system and transmission are all different. Its a BMW transmission on a ford?? LOL
pontiacman63383

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Where are they getting this information?
I wouldnt trust a one of them if they are giving you incorrect information on such a serious matter.

I dont know of a single engine in the world that will shutdown due to low oil. I suppose its possible with the newest engines where everything is monitored and controlled, but I have yet to see or hear of it.

Running dry for a few seconds is no worse than what most people do when they change the oil but dont prefill the filter.

As far as oil goes, never heard of it but i know some caddies will shut down if they get to hot to keep from cooking the motor. Now im not sure where i heard this but i belive some cars have a problem running 2 oil pressure gauges at once(why i dont know). Again im not sure where i head this so dont hold me to it but just for sh*ts and giggles try unpluging the new aftermarket oil pressure gauge and see if the factory one read. Also if i were you i would catch a ride to work and pick up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to check it before i just assume its ok. Buming a ride to work sucks but not nearly as much as toasting your motor becasue you "assumed" it had pressure

turboguy327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
The ford will actually shut down half the engine if it overheats to try and cool itself. Plusses for all. I will let everyone know what happens
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Like I said most of them are young kids and just talk and pretend like they know what they are talking about. And since SVT dealerships are few and far between its hard to talk to someone that knows this car. Its a way different car than a regular focus. The steering suspention brakes exhaust computere system and transmission are all different. Its a BMW transmission on a ford?? LOL

Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song. Oh well.

I'm thinking that you have somehow either damaged or disconnectted your oil pressure gauge. You said the new gauge was showing pressure correct. I'd probably go ahead and drive it but, I'd be monitoring the engine temp very closely.

Ron
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2008 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
"I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime.." I am still doing that song, Ron!! hahaha!!...love Johnny Cash
Nick
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

The ford will actually shut down half the engine if it overheats to try and cool itself. Plusses for all. I will let everyone know what happens

Ive never even heard that as a rumor. Do you have technical refrences?
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
Maybe not my paticular car but I know for a fact lincoln LS does it. It was listed in the FSM for the V8 model.

[This message has been edited by turboguy327 (edited 10-10-2008).]

pontiacman63383

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post
Just a thought, If your car is made to shut down when there is not oil pressure then wouldnt it have shut it self off when you brother started it up?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock