Started on: 08-20-2008 09:18 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: turboguy327 on 08-21-2008 12:24 PM
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
I converted all my bulbs in my car to LED bulbs. I cant use a heavy duty flasher to compensate as the flasher is built into the turn signal switch. They are 3157 bulbs so they are a combo brake turn. I need to know how i can simulate a load on the circuit to fool the flasher so it will blink normally. Im just not sure how much resistance to load onto the circuit to do this. The circuit used to operate on 15 amps under full draw. Or at least thats what the fuse is rated for that protects the circuit. I have tried using a 5 ohm at 25 watt resistor as recomended by a friend and that did nothing for the flasher speed. There are no incandescent bulbs in the circuit at all so right now there is pretty much zero load. Any ideas??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DesignFlaw06

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DesignFlaw06Send a Private Message to DesignFlaw06Direct Link to This Post
A lot of people have done this. Something like this would probably be your best bet. I would imagine you could get them at AutoZone or some place similar.

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Led-33226.htm
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
5 Ohms is only going to sink 2.4 amps. I dont know what the actual system draw is, but its not 15 amps, thats just the point the wire starts to melt. More likely its between 7 and 10.

Get a digital flasher, I forget what they are called in the packaging, but they will be hanging right next to the regular flashers in the parts stores. They operate on a timer rather than a load switch.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I remember buying some leds to make my illuminated window switches, and they came with a resistor soldered into the pigtail. Not bright enough for your application, but I bought those at Radio Shak. They had a very large assortment at that time, bigger and smaller in load size, but that has been about 3-4 years ago.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
i belive grote makes an electronic flasher rather then a thermal that will fix your problem without and wiring mods.
yea, just found it in my book
"variable load electronic LED flasher"
3terminal 44890
2terminal 44891

http://www.grote.com/prodca.../09_Sec%20H_F&TS.pdf
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the help guys. Ill let ya know what works out for me

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock