Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  thinking of joining the marines..Any opinions?? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
thinking of joining the marines..Any opinions?? by turboguy327
Started on: 05-06-2008 09:36 PM
Replies: 48
Last post by: Uaana on 05-09-2008 08:42 PM
Uaana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
There is another option you might want to consider that is a little less door kicker military and more public service.

The Coast Guard
IP: Logged
DR650SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DR650SEClick Here to visit DR650SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to DR650SEDirect Link to This Post
First of all, I'm not sure what others have said, I havn't read through all of the responses, but it sounds like some of the individuals responding are not in the service, or havn't been in. PM me with some questions and we can start a conversation there. I just re-enlisted in the Army Reserve, and have also been in for 6 years. I just picked up my E-6 as well (SSG). I will answer your questions as best I can and if I don't know the answer I can point you in the right direction. With my first enlistment and my re-enlistment I have learned a lot. I was lied to the first time and so I have pretty much made it my goal to educate whoever I can prior to them enlisting so they don't get cheated out of other benefits they are entitled to. My best advice though in short is to look at all the jobs, decide what you want to do. Then go to the recruiter and expect them to say that it is unavailable and try and convince you to join as something else. They need to make numbers for certain MOS's (Military Ocupational Specialty--Jobs). If they tell you its unavailable, then tell them that you will come back when it is available. Also do your research and make sure you know what bonus is available for your job. Get the G.I Bill and get a kicker as well. A kicker is an extra amount tacked onto your G.I Bill. if your are in the army reserve with no deployments under your belt your G.I. Bill for full time school will be $297 a month or so. If you have a $200 kicker then you would be drawing $497/mo. Just do your homework. You can also get the Student Loan repayment plan up to a certain amount. On my re-enlistment a week ago or so I picked up a $15,000 bonus, $10,000 Student Loan repayment plan (SLRP) and a $100 kicker. But I also re-enlisted for 6 years. Nothing is free. I am on my 3rd deployment since 2003 and my second year long tour in Iraq. Also do your research in the benefits. You'll learn things like the fact that the SLRP isn't going to be payed up front. They will pay up to $1,500 Annually, but you can also wave your payments. So if you pay $150/mo for a student loan then you can wave payments for the next 10 months and pay out of pocket the last two months of the year. I've been doing a lot of research. Please contact me by PM if you have any questions. You can also contact me at daniel.tillman@us.army.mil I'll answer anything I can.

P.S. Look at all the Jobs for all the branches and narrow down what you want to do. Don't take no for an answer and don't be afraid to walk out on the recruiter. Always check what the recruiter is telling you through your own research, because they have a tendency to make things sound better then they really are.

Dan

------------------
AIM: DR650SE
86 SE V6 4SPD
Pics from Iraq
http://community.webshots.com/user/dr650se

Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
I was in the Marines from 88 to 92. I didn't join for money or to run from something or someone. All I dreamed about was getting to wear those dress blues and having the title US Marine. Its a lot of hard work and dedication to make it in the corp. It is a life changing experience for better or worse so make sure your heart is in it 110% cuz they will not accept anything less. I took away a lot of great experience and philosophy that i apply to my ever day life. God, corp, and country is a way of life not just a statement. MAKE SURE IT IS WHAT YOU WANT!!!!
Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
I'm not trying to knock the Marines or any other branch of the services but be sure of what you are getting into before you sign, be sure it's what you want. My experience on an exchange can be described in one word "spartan" as in barest essentials. 3 impressions stay with me, a large building with curtainless windows with toilets down one wall so close together you had to wipe each others butt, absolutely no privacy or time alone. A lagre sign in the mess "Take all you want, Eat all you take" and a very large NCO standing by the garbage cans who had no problem sending a Marine Major back to finish his mashed potatoes, they REALLY mean just what they say. And a sailor heckling a busload of new recruits at the gate, "You'll be soorrrryy! All of which is for a very good reason. Every branch, every unit and every member of the forces can be heroic, selfless, and face tremendous odds, the Marines try to get that level of performance consistantly, every day, from everyone. It's brain washing, Stockholm syndrome, and total immersion all in one, but if your gonna invade Tarawa, or Okinawa, or any of a dozen other examples any Marine could give you it's absolutely necessary. Only problem is, after that, you won't be you any more, that's not necessarily a bad thing but it better be what you want.

"Reconnaissance - First In, Last Out." It's ours, you can't have it.
merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
im the navy. ive served on a joint task force in the past and i have alot of opinions and observations on other branches. some might not feel the same as me but here they are

marines: grunts, not focused on education, immature, very hard working, dedicated to country and marines, hard to make rank, well organized

air force: smart. lazy, many amenities to be had, devoted to usa, know thier jobs well, easy to make rank, good duty stations, good structure, bad organization

army: strict on rank respect, devoted to country, very focused on education, mature leadership, very organized, team oriented, well used down time, you must earn your respect!

navy: lazy, easier to get someone else to do your work, poor enlisted leadership, many education oppertunity for those who strive to get it, gets paid the most, harder deployments, the smart are very smart and the not so are ...well...idiots, easy to make rank in certin job fields, only service that your job is guarenteed, most have little pride in what they do, some very nice duty stations, crappy food, hit and miss on a hot shower, relaxed rank structure, poor use of down time.

uscg: a lot of pride, good leadership, poor duty stations, lots of down time, crappy deployments, works with us customs

reserves: including nat guard and reserves....CHARLEY FOXTROT

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by merlot566jka:
reserves: including nat guard and reserves....CHARLEY FOXTROT

513MXS USAFR 2002-Present

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 05-09-2008).]

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Not always. In Kosovo, in 1999, my AF unit was the first in [Theatre].

I have nothing but respect for the Marines. If you want to be a Marine, I say go for it. And I am in another branch no less.

Wasn't that the captain O'grady guy that got shot down? If i remember correctly the marines are the ones who pulled his a$$ out . The mighty CH-53 to the rescue !

turboguy ,the Marine corp is a very tough road if you choose it. You will be physically broken down and rebuilt in boot camp. Your mind will be changed as well. Something happens in Marine corp boot camp that causes your attitude toward things to change. How you see situations and problems and how they are conquerable. The Marine corp was the best thing that happened to me. It taught me focus, discipline, judgement,confidence and honor to say the least. I work with many guys that are prior service. One thing is for sure , my fellow jarheads stand head and shoulders above the others. Don't get me wrong,my co-workers are good to go, but when things need to get done it seems the ex-marines are always on the scene working as one, as a unit. The pay should be the same between every branch as far as rank and time in grade, but the sign on bonuses are very diffferant unfortunantly. Have you taken your ASVAB test yet? If so the recruiter should be able to get a good idea of what job you are capable of and guide you in the right direction. If you are mechanically inclined i would suggest aviation maintenance. Thats the route i went and loved going to work everyday. I got to wrench and fly on Ch-53's ,VH-60n blackhawks and have been in so many countries i can't remember the names of them all. I was able to get a good job in the aviation industry when i got out (which i regret often) . My recruiters were awsome, they were straightforward and honest. Whatever you do ,do not go "open contract" .

If i had to do it all over again i wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond. Semper Fi !

One more thing to chew on

In the navy you are called a seaman
In the army you are called a soldier
In the airforce you are called an airman
In the Marine Corp you are called a Marine !

Not only that but the uniforms are way better than any other branch ,just ask any chick what she thinks

------------------
ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 05-09-2008).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

If i had to do it all over again i wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond. Semper Fi !

In the Marine Corp you are called a Marine !

Well said Fierophreak!! Semper Fi!!
(and this coming from a sister service member no less.)

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by merlot566jka:

some might not feel the same as me but here they are

marines: grunts, not focused on education, immature, very hard working, dedicated to country and marines, hard to make rank, well organized

I'll grant the not focused on education, but we look for the brightest.. Leadership (NCO is earned, not a test you take) we have no "Specalists" we don't give you pretty wings and ribbons for doing your job.
Guess I'll break down another difference..
What would you like to do in Army/Navy/AF? vs Are you good enough to be a Marine?
PS, Marines have an Air Wing, IT, Comm, Engineers, etc.. diff is we don't micro specalize.. you won't be an engineer/comm specalist.. you might be an engineer who can call for fire, call air support, troubleshoot the radio, fix the hummer, Infantry Marine. If god blesses you you might earn a blood stripe, not through a test taken on paper but a test of if you're good enough to lead others to do what has to be done.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock