Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  2.8 vs 4.3 in an S10. Any personal experiances?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

2.8 vs 4.3 in an S10. Any personal experiances? by Racingman24
Started on: 02-21-2008 01:30 PM
Replies: 37
Last post by: Disillusion on 02-24-2008 01:14 AM
Racingman24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
So here's the deal. I'm looking at two different S-10's. Both are 93's, both are regular cab short boxes, and both are 5 speeds. One is 300$, [kinda already bought that one] and the other is 600$.

Here's the problem. The one that is 600$ is faaaaar nicer body wise, it'll just need a clutch soon. I'm talking no rust, pretty much no dents. Very nice. That one has the 2.8L
The 300$ one has a TBI 4.3, and the body is kinda rough, rusty, dents in the bed, front bumper pushed in. Just needs a heater core and a rear main.

Now, aside from what either one of them need, because I don't care about that, everything is an easy fix at this point....What I'm wondering is which one should get better milage? Around town...on the highway...and pulling a VERY light 14ft Aluminum fishing boat.

I was all about the 2.8L until the 4.3 popped up and I started to think about it. I started to think about it, and discussed it with a few people, and I'm trying to figure out which'll get better milage:
The 2.8L because it's smaller... or
The 4.3L because it doesn't have to work hardly at all to get the truck moving and keep it going.

So, does anyone have any personal experiance with either one of these engines in this truck? If ya do, let's hear 'em! And I guess I'll take your opinions too.

Eric

EDIT::: O yea, almost forgot, one of the reasons I wanted the 2.8 one is because I was planning on puttin' a Fiero Moofler on it.
------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over"
88 base coupe: "She thinks my tractor's sexy..... it really turns 'er on"
"I drive Sideways"

Said by Crazy Dave "You can take Steve out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of Steve."

(\__/)
(='.'=) <<<< Cute Bunny.
(")_(")

[This message has been edited by Racingman24 (edited 02-21-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
95 S-10 4.3L. 200,000 on the original engine. 15mpg city/19-20mpg highway.

She'll tow a Fiero on a tow dolly and a loaded 5x10 closed trailer without a problem.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
5 Speed or Auto?
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
Auto, sorry.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
get them both, and put the 4.3 in the prettier one? fix up the rear main seal while at it?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
I've never driven a 4.3, but I had a 91 2.8 5-speed for several years (and my dad had it before I did, since about 1993). Unfortunately I never had a need to tow anything with it so I can't help with that.

It was a rock-solid reliable engine. The TBI system is simple and reliable. I had some driveability issues and SES codes early on, which I scanned and traced to a bad )2 sensor and EGR. Replacing both made it seem like a new truck! With new plugs and wires it started up easily and idled smooth all the time. By the way, I see on the S-10 forums people are always complaining about replacing the plugs on the 4.3s, but it was really easy on the 2.8.

It wasn't a fast truck however. I actually hated the tranny and wished it was an automatic; after 50,000 miles I never really got any better with this thing, which isn't something I've ever said about any other stick vehicle I've driven. I should mention that it was the original clutch; maybe a new one would have performed better. Other than that, its still running great these days; my brother has it now.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

get them both, and put the 4.3 in the prettier one? fix up the rear main seal while at it?

Believe me...I've thought about that...multiple times. Just not sure I want to do thaat much work to get a nice truck.
Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post

The engine mounts that bolt to the frame are different between the engines. They can be changed but it requires either removing the front suspension arms or drilling an access hole into the frame. You will find that when you start to look at V-8 conversions that most of the conversion brackets use the 2.8 mounts though.

My vote is to get both. That way if you do a V-8 swap you will have a nice body that already has the 2.8 brackets and a tranny out of the 4.3 that will bolt directly up to a small block.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
the 4.3 is going to spank the 2.8 in terms of power. I had an 87 s10 ex cab with a 2.8/5spd. It was a dog - weak, slow and still poor mileage. OTOH, it lasted 250K with nothing more major than a few clutches and a smog pump before finally blowing a head gasket. I replaced the motor with a GM Goodwrench factory replacement, but never could get it to run right afterwards. The throw on the 5spd shifter was the longest of any vehicle I've ever driven, I'd recommend a short throw kit no matter which one you choose.

The 4.3/5spd combo is pretty rare, I think. I've only seen 1 or 2 4.3/5spds, the 4.3 usually came mated to an auto.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Heh, that's a good idea, buy the better looking one and to a V8 swap...
PFF
System Bot
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

This is what I would suggest. Then sell off the extra parts. Should be able to make back most of your money. I had a 1991 S-10 with the 4.3L V-6. I loved it. I used it for AutoX and road racing. Believe it or not the 4.3L may get better gas mileage. I had the 5spd with a 3.08 rear gear and got excellent mileage, until I started modifying it and then couldn't keep my foot out of it. I still have the 5spd if anyone wants to make me an offer.

------------------
My sites
http://the-stickman.tripod.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheStickman

[This message has been edited by The_Stickman2 (edited 02-21-2008).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
If you have both trucks you are looking at an easy weekend job to swap the motors, trannies and computers.
The 4.3 WILL give you better millage and will not feel so much like you are pulling a lead weight behind you like the 2.8 will in that truck.
A ex co-worker of mine had a blazer with the 2.8 in it. It could barely turn the 38 inch tires he put on it and got HORRID gas mileage.
He bought a blazer with the 4.3 and over the weekend we swapped the motors. He got nearly twice the gas mileage and had gobs of extra torque for off roading with.
justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post
get an astro. waaaay more room inside, and you can haul new york in it :P

that, and get the awd, so you wont slip back into the boat launch. oh, and look into swapping a 5-speed into it, after we lower it and thrown some 18's on it

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!

[This message has been edited by justa6 (edited 02-21-2008).]

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by justa6:

that, and get the awd, so you wont slip back into the boat launch. oh, and look into swapping a 5-speed into it, after we lower it and thrown some 18's on it

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!

I hate...your face.

Stupid asshol....astro vans.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!

Naw, if you're going to get an Astro, raise it!

http://www.overlandvans.com/0104_liftkits.html

justa6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

I hate...your face.

Stupid asshol....astro vans.

come on, you KNOW you want to! you even have a conversioned one laying around!
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
And just for reference, and this way you all know why this is such a hard choice...here are the two trucks....

The 2.8L

The 4.3L

And there's more rust on the other side, above the wheel is rotted out.

[This message has been edited by Racingman24 (edited 02-21-2008).]

Fastkx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastkxSend a Private Message to FastkxDirect Link to This Post
I had a 91 S-10 with the 2.8l 5 speed manual. I loved that truck and wish I still had her. The manual seemed to suite the truck better than an auto. I drove both and went with the 5 speed, just felt better.
I was able to do a good amount of hauling with it too. I filled the bed with firewood numerious times and hauled other stuff too.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I had an 83 S10 long bed. 2.8 and 4 speed. We filled it up to the top of the cab with phone books (don't ask).
The suspension was on the bump stops.
I was still able to drive it home. It was slow, but it made it.
I forget what kind of gas mileage it got. Wasn't an issue at the time.

My 01 Sonoma with the 4.3, automatic, and 3.42s has dragged Fieros all over the southeast.
Gets a bit less than 20 MPG, but that's using it for daily commuting. Usually either stop 'n' go or 75-80 MPH.
I don't call it the Pewter Pig for nothing.

Don't forget that if the 2.8 ever packs up, you can swap in a 3.4.
I hear there are some people around who know a little bit about that engine.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
I just bought an '87 cargo Astro van that has the 4.3 & 5-speed. My brother has had an '85 Blazer with a 2.8 & 5-speed forever now and it gets around 20MPG. I have no idea on the Astro van yet, but it should be similar. Surprisingly enough, I've heard that both combinations get about the same mileage.

That said, judging by the pictures I would buy the blue one....even with the 2.8. It just looks like a nicer truck. I wouldn't tow anything with it, although years ago we towed a Fiero on a dolly behind my brothers Blazer (was VERY slow).

Beauty before brawn? I guess I'm shallow that way.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 02-21-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
go to s10forum.com . they have separate sections for the 2.8 and the 4.3- they should be able to give you good info.
justa6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post

........ One is 300$, [kinda already bought that one] and the other is 600$.

idiot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I had a 95 Sonoma I drove everyday. The thing with all S-10/Sonomas is that their suspension is the thing that holds it back from hauling anything. I didn't like my Sonoma because it was a four cylinder, but I have driven the 2.8 and 4.3 and there is a huge difference in power. The 4.3 has no problem hauling anything, it just the suspension gives out when you haul anyhing. I used a friends 2.8 with a five speed to haul my trailer with a race car on it, it was slow but it didn't give us any problems it just looked funny because the bumper was about an inch from the ground. I replaced the rear shocks on my Sonoma with a set from Ranchero and it made a difference in how much I could haul, if you do buy one and plan on hauling anything I would buy a add a leaf spring kit to beef up the rear suspension so you can haul stuff without the bumper dragging. Both V6 are pretty durable but the 4.3 is a beast especially with a 5 speed. If my Sonoma was a 4.3, I probably would have kept it. I like the blue S-10, that would be the one I would get, just because it is in nicer condition and because I like blue. Both engines get about the same gas mileage especially if you are good to it. But if you ever want more power you can always swap in the 4.3 liter or just swap out the 2.8 with a 3.4 thats a good upgrade.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
And speaking of swapping up to a 3.4...what's to stop me from putting a Fiero intake and heads on it...both to make it look better and maaaybe give a bit more power?

idiot

And you...shut your face. I can put less than 100 into it and sell it for 5-600 so there.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
My 92 Bravada (AWD) with the 4.3 CPI and 180K miles would pull down 22-23 on the highway with the cruise and 17 driving back and forth to work (20 mile trip 1 way with some open roads and 11 stop lights). Trusty Rusty was its name till it smacked a deer at 75 while pulling a car trailer.

I would take the nice body and put the 4.3 in it!

GTPat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTPatSend a Private Message to GTPatDirect Link to This Post
I have a 88 Astro van I bought new with the 4.3 and 5 spd and love it.
I average between 20 and 21 mpg combined.
My right foot seems to be heavier than my left one, so I don`t baby it
going down the road.
A friend of mine had a 2.8 with the automatic in a S-10 and hated it.
It was slower than cold molassas on a turtles back. It was horrible
to drive and the mpg was`nt much better than mine.
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!

I had a 5 speed Astro, with the van empty I could get it sideways and a nice second gear tire spin.
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post

Kekipi

1832 posts
Member since Apr 2004
As far as the 2.8 and 4.3 would you rather have a corvette or a corvair. The 4.3 with a auto will have all the power you need, I sold my 91 S-10 4X4 To a guy who had a 4 cylinder nissan and couldn't get his boat out of the water, a friend saw the boat and said he never saw a mini truck pull a boat that big.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i probaly had better luck than i deserved with both engines in s-10 blazers. had a 2.8 84 5sp i got in '96 as a beater and just drove it without any maintence for maybe 5 years or so. i think i changed the oil twice. one year i put a water pump on it, then added just water to check for leaks and forgot. froze the cooling system that winter, thawed it out and drove it another year or two. i got rid of it when it failed an emissions test (rusted air pump lines i couldn't get off to change). it still ran.

right now i have an 92 auto with the 4.3 i brought in 2003 that i've treated about the same. tow dollied a few fieros with it once when i was moving, used it to pull a couple fieros onto trailers a few years later. brought home nearly everything i own in it (or the one before). i think so far all i've done is change an alternator on it. right now it's up in the air from my taking the fuel pump out and getting frustrated with it last fall. won't be surprised if i eventually put it back together and it starts right up.

just think if i had actually taken care of them.
justa6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post

And speaking of swapping up to a 3.4...what's to stop me from putting a Fiero intake and heads on it...both to make it look better and maaaybe give a bit more power?

And you...shut your face. I can put less than 100 into it and sell it for 5-600 so there.

ok, do it, lets see THAT happen

you really should just fix that van and pimp that thing. that be sweet. i'd roll in that thing
PFF
System Bot
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Ummm....were you not around much? The van's already fixed and sold.

And I could sell the truck...easy.
justa6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post

Ummm....were you not around much? The van's already fixed and sold.

And I could sell the truck...easy.

the OTHER van. the pimpen 97 with the motor knock! not the lame 93 you sold
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2008 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
With the 4.3 you will not need a V8,it is a torque monster,, I have some old consumer guide car test books and your milage will be about the same with either engine..,the 2.8 manual will deliver a very slight mpg gain if driven carefully ..auto?the 4.3 delivers the same mpg as the 2.8 the plugs are a @%^#&*+* to change,but this is only needed every 4 to 6 years.It can be an all day job to change spark plugs,, this is one of the most reliable engines as to electronics and emission replacement for GM, This is a great engine ,transmission combo for reliability.. GM got this right.. some had issues with the heater core,a ruggedly built day to day hauler Gas milage is OK for what it IS, YOU will not need a V8 this 4.3 engine PULLS. you would be better off installing headers ,if you are not pulling heavy loads you can change the gearing for better MPG ..the only reason to go to a V8 is if you plan on Racing.. there is a turbo available that turns 280 hp// 350ft/lb torque with a small degrease in MPG I have the GMC S-15 presently running a fiero duke 02 sensor(not recomended)
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
There is a guy I know that has a 4.3 in his race car that has been bored .030 over, a mild cam, porting and polishing, and bigger valves. His setup is a two barrel carb, but he spanks those V8's every week unless he has bad luck. I could imagine the power that engine would make if it was fuel injected, it would be amazing. I might find a S-10 and see if he wants to sell the engine, he makes a new one every year.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
97 Astro is calling your name !!!!!!!!!

That one in the pic is ALL RAINBOWMAN 24..........................Flames, Lowered, Blue,

Seriously though, the blue S-10 from the pic looks like it was painted with a large knap roller, I'd bet money it's not that nice and probably filled with expandafoam to fill where it HAD rust.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
If it turns out that you indeed have a decent body with the blue one, swap the bodies. On the S-10, it's not that hard and since they are both ' 93's, you should have no issues at all with it all fitting. Plus, while the cab and box is off, you can run new brake and fuel lines as you sit on the frame and it's not that expensive to do. This way you shouldn't have to crawl underneath for anything in the near future. With access to areas of the drivetrain that you normally wouldn't have you can easily replace leaking valve cover gaskets and any other stuff that needs attention.

Mark
Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
Go with the 4.3...the body is fairly easy to replace, and the 4.3 Is just a better motor in general imho. I just sold a 2.8 s10 with the 5 speed after owning it for 2 weeks because it wasn't a engine trans setup suited to a truck. I couldn't tow much with it, and I couldn't haul much with it. I'd say either go for a s10 with the 2.5 4cyl or the 4.3. The 2.5 Can haul just as much and from my experience, is just as fast as the 2.8, while getting way better mileage. I've never owned, but I have driven a 4.3 s10 on a bunch of occasions and it's definantly the best suited motor for the truck. It's fast when you want it to be, has the highest towing/hauling capability, and is more reliable than the 2.8. I've also seen 4.3s with 260,000 miles on the origional, well maintained engine..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock