Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Pics of my newest leopard geckos (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Pics of my newest leopard geckos by Gecko
Started on: 04-04-2006 08:51 PM
Replies: 68
Last post by: Gecko on 04-01-2008 11:05 PM
Gecko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2006 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Mom is so beautiful looking. It's very interesting that she does that with the eggs. Mine are probably all females being there are never any eggs. I wouldn't know what to do with them if there were. Thankfully I could probably easily find that info on the internet if ever needed.

IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2006 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Very cool, never knew they did that with their legs...

It was very cool. I can't emphasize enough how gentle Momma was with her eggs. I had always thought that all reptiles that laid eggs just dug a pit, dropped in the eggs all willy-nilly, kicked a bit of sand over them, and then left as quickly as possible. Not so! Momma very carefully placed each egg down with her back feet (after spinning each egg between her feet for a couple of minutes), and then she spent over an hour last night completely covering up all four eggs (using her front feet). I would've liked to have taken a picture of Momma holding the eggs in her back feet while she was spinning them, but I was afraid the flash of the camera might freak her out during this delicate procedure.

This morning Momma is still sitting in the corner of the tank on top of her pile of sand.

Look at those eyes! Would you want to mess with this Momma?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-05-2006).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I found out why Momma gecko was hanging around the two eggs she laid this morning - she had two more to lay! Now this is really strange because she has never laid more than two eggs at once before. Then it takes from three to four weeks for the next couple of eggs. She's now laid four eggs in less than 24 hours. No wonder she was still bulging in the pictures I posted above.

It dawned on me that I never reported back on this rather unusual event. I'm very pleased to say that all four eggs hatched two months later over a one week time-span and the offspring were all healthy. Quite amazing!

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Gecko (edited 12-03-2006).]

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Gecko

5954 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Gecko

5954 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Where was the "race"? All I saw was one sprinter and one observer.
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Where was the "race"? All I saw was one sprinter and one observer.

my webcam isn't quick enough to capture the third one that raced by LOL

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
A new hobby. Tail Dipping.

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
what is the largest gecko you can buy and what is thier temperment?
also, do iguana's bite?
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
How to pick out an iggy:
Get one that's young, about the thickness of a hot dog.

Look for one that looks AWAKE. Eyes Open, no eye 'goo", no "rot" around the gums, "normal" lookin' toes, and one that does NOT "lean" away from you when you go near it.

Yes, when you first go near them, they will all scoot around and run wiggly woggly all over. pick a few that look "good" and take one out.

Avoid any of them that try whipping you like crazy with their tales, even if they are BEAUTIFUL. You will reget it later.

I LOVED my iggy.

I loved my Chuckwalla too.

I don't recommend getting an iggy unles syou can invest the space and time for one. My last tank for him was a 7 foot cage.
he NEVER bit me, or whipped me.

The Chuck was great because he fit well in a 20 gallon tank. he would open his mouth sometimes, but never bit. My Basilisk was cool, but sorta nasty, but he wasn't exactly an alligator.

Uromastix seems like a nice, docile species. as is the bearded dragon.

I really want a frilled lizard, but I somehow doubt I will get one anytime soon. Wife would have a cow.

PFF
System Bot
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
The leopard gecko's don't get very big. About 9 inches at most. 9 inches is average right? (sarcastic laugh)

So you probably want something more along the lines of what FR suggested.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

It was very cool. I can't emphasize enough how gentle Momma was with her eggs. I had always thought that all reptiles that laid eggs just dug a pit, dropped in the eggs all willy-nilly, kicked a bit of sand over them, and then left as quickly as possible. Not so! Momma very carefully placed each egg down with her back feet (after spinning each egg between her feet for a couple of minutes), and then she spent over an hour last night completely covering up all four eggs (using her front feet). I would've liked to have taken a picture of Momma holding the eggs in her back feet while she was spinning them, but I was afraid the flash of the camera might freak her out during this delicate procedure.

This morning Momma is still sitting in the corner of the tank on top of her pile of sand.

yes, I remember my FatTails doing the egg-spin. I was never lucky enough to have any hatch tho. or, maybe they did, and the others ate them. I did have several species of gecko's. it was a large tank (120 gal - 6' long) and everyone had their hidey places. it had a 5 gallon pond on one end, that one of the fattails loved to splash in. I had 3 fattails: Hydra, Matic & Muncie. 2 leopards: Tommy & Chucky 2 Golden: Consuela & Hector. I also had 3 tree frogs in there. no names for them - never seen 'em...they just dissappeared. but, knew they was there - they sing at night....
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Gecko

5954 posts
Member since Aug 2004

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Dang! That's one WELL-FED gecko!!!!

It looks like a little inflated balloon!
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
They are fed meal worms, and occasionally wax worms which they love, however wax worms are fatty so they are only used as treat. I put the wax worms on a plastic spoon and feed them separately because if I just dumped them in, they wouldn't share. They like the wax worms so much they will actually try to get it threw the spoon.

TorqueWench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TorqueWenchSend a Private Message to TorqueWenchDirect Link to This Post
he's cute. can he be handled?
can he be trained to do your taxes?
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TorqueWench:

he's cute. can he be handled?
can he be trained to do your taxes?

Normally they are very easy to handle, but I am to lazy, plus there is a cat here, so if the gecko gets away from me, or falls the cat will be there immediately. They apparently have no fear of falling either, luckily mine have never fallen far, or without me catching them. But I don't handle them often because of these things. In the past I have had some that I could walk around the house with and they stay on your shoulder, or even go outside and they stay put, but not the ones I have now, they get to excited.

The one in the recent pics wasn't to thrilled when I took her out of the tank for these shots. I suppose that is why when I told her how to pose she just ignored me.

taxes....hmmm that would require me to have a job

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
i know what you mean about the falling thing my girlfriends newt is crazy and quick hell jump right out of your hands if your not carefull
PFF
System Bot
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Well I picked up another leopard gecko today. Kinda like a rescue I suppose. I noticed in the for sale pic, that she was housed in a tank with dirt, and that is not a good substrate for these particular type of geckos. I got the gecko, the tank, food bowl, small shelter all for $40. Now I didn't need any of those items, and I could have simply bought the gecko in the local pet store for $25-$35, but for some reason I just felt compelled to go get this one. She does have some real nice color to her.

I also drove 45miles (each way), but then I love driving so I didn't mind that at all.

Now the interesting part is to see if she gets along with the other 3. She is a baby/juvenile and the other 3 are adults. But the last time I put a baby in with the 2 adults everyone got along fine. She is quick, so she can probably get away if they give her a hard time. If it doesn't work out then I will just give her a separate tank being I have extras.

I am tired and didn't want to bother her anymore than necessary, so here is the only pic I took.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2007 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gecko:

Now the interesting part is to see if she gets along with the other 3.

Are you concerned at all with the new gecko introducing disease and/or parasites to your other geckos?

Wii Bird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2007 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wii BirdClick Here to visit Wii Bird's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wii BirdDirect Link to This Post
I have looked at getting Gecko's many times.
They just seem to be a pet that always is in the aquarium/cage. Are you able to take them out?
How much does it cost to set a aquarium up?
I have two fish tanks already fully setup. LOL So it would be a third.
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Are you concerned at all with the new gecko introducing disease and/or parasites to your other geckos?

That is a good point, luckily I have never had that problem before. This new one came from a show/breeder so I am hoping she doesn't have any diseases or parasites. I did ask her and she shook her head no.

Originally posted by Wii Bird:

I have looked at getting Gecko's many times.
They just seem to be a pet that always is in the aquarium/cage. Are you able to take them out?
How much does it cost to set a aquarium up?
I have two fish tanks already fully setup. LOL So it would be a third.

Yes they do mainly stay in their tank, but the leopard geckos are one of the types that can be handled. It just takes some time for them to get used to it because they are not thrilled about it to begin with. In the past I have had some that I have taken out, and went to the store with and they just stay on my shoulder/head or inside my shirt by the heart because its warmer there.

All you need is the tank, a substrate (which a lot of people argue over) but I use Tile, its easy to clean and there is no worry about impaction from sand/dirt etc, and its super cheap. It looks nice too. Then you need a small hiding area, water bowl, temperature gauges, heating lamps. Ok I guess it does get expensive when you add it all up.
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Gecko

5954 posts
Member since Aug 2004
On page 1 of this thread I had some pics of when I got 2 babies and they were put in with 1 adult/Juvenile. Everything turned out fine. Here is the pic from 4/2006

Now I have been going over every once in a while to check on them and see if I can see the newest one. She is small and apparently likes to stay hidden.

Well I just happen to notice this and grab the camera.

How does that rule go? On your 1st day you kick the crap out of the biggest person, so nobody else messes with you. Well the gecko's aren't really that violent, so I suppose laying on top of someone else much bigger then you will suffice.

She didn't care for the flash so I only got this one pic.

[This message has been edited by Gecko (edited 12-02-2007).]

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gecko:

4 months later.

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Wow he has grown up alot. I had a Step-Family member that had several leopard geckos, I have always wanted one. How much do they cost? I thought it was always fun to watch them grow from a egg into a adult, she even raised her own meal works and crickets.
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
I have never done any breeding or had any babies, but actually right now one of them appears to be very pregnant.

Prices for the Leopard Geckos in the local Petsmart, Petco etc... are usually around $40. But if you go to breeders/shows etc they can get up into the hundreds depending on colors/traits.

Of course we all know people don't always get their asking price, but check some of the prices on this site. As high as $2,000

http://www.vmsherp.com/ViewLeopards.htm
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock