Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  plastic injection molding. anyone here??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

plastic injection molding. anyone here?? by turboguy327
Started on: 08-09-2007 11:00 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Spoon on 08-10-2007 10:14 PM
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
i just got a new job today at a plastic injection molding company. i disassmble, clean and then reassmeble the molds and other maintinece to them and keep records and all that. anybody else on here have any suggestions or experience in this kind of thing?? they said i would learn quickly and enjoy the job if i like working on cars so i think it will be good but i figured id ask and see if anyone else on here does anything like this
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
swisscheese

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post
I'm also working in such a company but I make the drawings for the parts. I mostly see the molds on paper or when they are in the injection machine.

Good start. Hope you enjoy your job. I also just started in this actual company but been working in this business since years.
HIOSILVER!

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
I worked for a couple years with 12 HPI injection molding machines for videocassettes. Ive hung a few, maintained a great deal.
We used pellets and we actually ground our rejects up and reused the plastic grind as well. Whats fun is using the hoist system (molds were about 2k lbs.) to transport ourselves around the machines. Hoist went from the machine shop to over all 12 machines. Just hooked to our belts and grabbed the control. LOL
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I Used to work with injection mold machines in TN, when I worked for Newell Rubbermaid. I was like HiHoSilver, I worked on the machines themselves, with limited experience maintaining the molds.
But I can suggest this, make sure you NEVER EVER grab the regular tools. Always use the brass tools when you are working on a mold. The brass does not scratch them. I saw a couple $30k+
molds get destroyed when a maintanence man grabbed the wrong tool and started hammering away on a mold.

Enjoy the job, I suspect you will like it. Once you get some experience, you should be making some nice dough too!!
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
We have our own family owned injection molding business. We now have over 20 machines and started out with only 5 when we bought the business 19 years ago. We are closing our doors at the end of the month and liquidating everything. We were running up to 100% of our machines and three shifts with over 20 employees until recently. Now we just have a skeleton crew on one shift.
Most of our customers have been moving their business over to China and it has cut into our profits so much lately that we are just breaking even. Manufacturing business in the US is a dieing right now. If your company can hold on a few years, till the other countries start raising their prices, it will be profitable to manufacture in the US again.
For the last couple of years we have seen the writing on the wall. Every week we would get a couple of auction notices from other injection molding business that were shutting down. Most of these were large multi million dollar companies.
We have decided to not wait it out and to concentrate our money and efforts in a different kind of business, that is why we are closing down and selling everything. The profit margins in the injection molding business are only about 10% max. The other business we are looking at have a 20 to 30% profit margin and have less demanding customers.
We had found ways to hold or reduce our prices to our customers over the last 19 years so we could remain competitive but they always wanted cheaper prices. We weren't allowed to cut our prices even though the price of raw materials and power was always going up. Some customers (automotive) even dictated to us how much we were going to reduce our prices to them if we wanted to stay in business with them. We always found a way to comply whether it was optimizing the process or finding a cheaper supplier of raw materials or getting more efficient machines. This still wasn't enough for them as they were discovering that China could make things cheaper than we could. The difference is less than a penny to a few cents a part, but that can translate into millions of dollars in savings because of the amounts ordered. Our customers then decided to start migrating their work to China and other countries and our orders went down. This isn't only happening to injection molding companies, it is happening to all types of manufacturing companies.
I feel sorry for our employees and we are trying to place the key ones with some of our competitors. Some of our older employees are going to retire and the least experienced ones will have to see what they find.
I will be taking my share of the business money and purchasing another business in a different more profitable field. I get to own my own business now instead of just being the boss and I will enjoy a better quality of life.
The state of Connecticut, were I am based now, has become less business friendly from when I first moved here. Taxes are high and numerous, the electrical rates just went through the roof because the state doesn't make it's own power anymore and the cost of living here is very high.
If your company can stay in business you have a chance to advance through the ranks. You can even take courses on injection molding to understand the science behind it. I can set up any mold from scratch and get it running within a day, because I know our machines and their quirks. The manufacturers data for the materials does not always match the setup we end up with after the process gets optimized. I just use that information as a basic guideline to get the jobs running and I adjust the process from there.
I think setting up the molds in the machines and getting them running is a better job than cleaning them. I have done all the jobs here from sweeping the floors to everything in between to my present job as one of the Vice Presidents of the company. I also do 90% of all repairs on all of the equipment here. This saves our company tens of thousands of dollars in repair bills and down time. Now I can apply all the knowledge I have gained here to running my own business when the time comes.
Good luck in your new job and I hope you enjoy it.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 08-10-2007).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
I don't know anything about injection molding(sorry to threadjack).

Those still in business, can you guys PM me with your company info...I have an invention that I'm working on that will need to be injection molded.
Avengador...sorry to hear. I'd like to keep my product "made in the USA"
S-toon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonDirect Link to This Post
They don't do injection molding here were I work, they pour the urethane in the molds and then put them in big ovens.
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
X2 plus coolant routing and clean coolant ports and gates are a must.

Originally posted by 8Ball:

I Used to work with injection mold machines in TN, when I worked for Newell Rubbermaid. I was like HiHoSilver, I worked on the machines themselves, with limited experience maintaining the molds.
But I can suggest this, make sure you NEVER EVER grab the regular tools. Always use the brass tools when you are working on a mold. The brass does not scratch them. I saw a couple $30k+
molds get destroyed when a maintanence man grabbed the wrong tool and started hammering away on a mold.

Enjoy the job, I suspect you will like it. Once you get some experience, you should be making some nice dough too!!

[This message has been edited by HIOSILVER! (edited 08-10-2007).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by S-toon:

They don't do injection molding here were I work, they pour the urethane in the molds and then put them in big ovens.

Roto-molding. Worked for a company that purchased all of their supplies from Roto-molders...

It is a pretty slick process..
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post08-10-2007 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
I worked as IT in a plant that did injection moulding of aluminum. Not plastic, but it was similar in concept.

We did all our own on site tooling design. Fun place to work until new management came in and ran the place into chapter 7.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
When I was at Coca-Cola back in college I did a business plan and program for PolyPropylene and PolyEthylene injection molding of Bottle Caps. I never actually worked on the machines but I know how to build a bottle cap plant now. Nice to have something to fall back on eh?
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
One of my customers is an injection molding company. Huge facility full of robots and very few people. They make anything from hose washers to stand-offs that go in the pizza boxes.
I treat the water that keeps the machines cool. They have a nice machine shop which sounds like what your involved in which is good because these guys claim that their not far from an all "lights out" operation.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock