Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  June 15, unveiling of the 1957 Belvedere as it happens (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
June 15, unveiling of the 1957 Belvedere as it happens by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 06-13-2007 12:57 AM
Replies: 82
Last post by: texasfiero on 06-29-2007 11:37 AM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Can't find anything yet.
IP: Logged
8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
It at least seems to still be intact

[This message has been edited by 8Ball (edited 06-15-2007).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
K, so does anyone have pictures or Video of what the car looks like now? There isn't anything on the channel 6 site after the unearthing

Brad
Jermz238

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jermz238Send a Private Message to Jermz238Direct Link to This Post
i'd like some of the schlitz beer they buried in there...
wkayl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

What did the buried car look like when it came out?

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Ouch. Maybe they should have used an above ground vault.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

jweisman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jweismanSend a Private Message to jweismanDirect Link to This Post
I heard they found Hoffa in the trunk
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-16-2007 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wkayl:

Makes one want to cry.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
http://picasaweb.google.com...#5076543625664798466

Saw a pic of the interior but can't post the pic.
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/

What is Boyd's role in this?

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 06-16-2007).]

otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:
Saw a pic of the interior but can't post the pic.

Here are many pics of the car taken once the plastic cover was removed. Pics of the interior start on page three.

http://www.buriedcar.com/photo_gallery_new.htm

From what I've heard, as of last night they still haven't been able get the doors or trunk open.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Actually, I think the whole thing is a perfect (if unintended) metaphor for Oklahoma in the 1950s:

An enthusiastic but brain-dead Jaycee (probably a car salesman, but I repeat myself) comes up with a goofy idea to bury a 1957 Plymouth ("It's still under warranty!"), and then convinces his buddy, a corrupt County Commissioner (again, I repeat myself) to have Tulsa County pay for it. The CC gives the job (without bids, of course, and on a cost-plus basis) to an incompetent concrete contractor buddy of his who is obsessed with the idea that backyard fallout shelters are going to be THE NEXT BIG THING. Of course, the concrete dude has no formal education beyond the 3rd grade (he and the CC both quit school the same year and spent some time traveling with Royal American Shows) and has never actually built a fallout shelter, or any in-ground concrete structure for that matter, but he convinces everybody that since his vault will be able to withstand a direct hit from a 15 megaton hydrogen bomb (or your money back!) it obviously isn’t going to leak a drop of water over the next 50 years. Everybody knows that houses in Oklahoma don’t have basements, so ground water clearly must not be a problem. Besides, Oklahoma is DRY country. The CC actually convinces people that he believes all this, because his good ol’ buddy said so, but still he grants another contract (again, no-bid and cost-plus) to another buddy who is in the plastic bag business … to wrap the car like a Christmas present and further protect it against anything (residual radiation, perhaps?) that might get through the concrete … even though we already know that’s not going to happen. But first, the Jaycee guy puts a case of Schlitz in the trunk of the car, just to demonstrate to the world of the future that he had good taste. The car is lowered into the vault, the hydrogen-bomb-proof lid is placed on top, and the thing is buried amidst much ceremony (and no small amount of back-slapping) … without a sump pump (that might require maintenance!) or even something as simple as a water detector on the floor of the vault … because everybody KNOWS that it’s never going to leak, not even if there is a nuclear attack. Everybody gets paid, and the CC and his good ol’ boy buddies go out drinking at a sleazy bar in nearby Broken Arrow (yes, I know Prohibition is still in effect in Oklahoma, but what’s law among friends?) … secure in the knowledge that their scam won’t be uncovered for 50 more years!

Fast forward 50 years. Some people in Tulsa still believe that this thing is going to work perfectly. 700 of them even pay for tickets to the “unveiling.” The CC, long deceased, is nevertheless laughing his ghostly ass off! And tonight, a Jaycee somewhere in Tulsa is dreaming even goofier dreams. Yeee … Hawwwww!

I grew up in Oklahoma in the 1950s. I know.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-16-2007).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
They need to clean it up so people can see what it looks like without all that mud. I can tell now she isn't in that good of shape, but its hard to tell whats mud, and whats rust.

I really want to believe that she can be salvaged, after all it is still an extremely low mileage, inside stored car.

Brad
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Actually, I think the whole thing is a perfect (if unintended) metaphor for Oklahoma in the 1950s...

Good post.

Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

They need to clean it up so people can see what it looks like without all that mud. I can tell now she isn't in that good of shape, but its hard to tell whats mud, and whats rust.

I really want to believe that she can be salvaged, after all it is still an extremely low mileage, inside stored car.

Brad

Yeah, put it on ebay with the "before" pictures. Get t he buyer to pay for it before inspecting it. Then have KOTV do a webcast. Before their webcast actually manages to load, another 50 years will go by.

Seriously, I think it's really sad & stupid. Tulsans should be hanging their heads in collective shame. The combination of the totally trashed car and the totally crappy web coverage makes them look very podunk. Gotta go a ways to beat Reno at being backwards, but Tulsa's managed it this weekend.

BTW, Brad, I think that's the cleaned up version of the car. I bet it smells to high heaven!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Think Boyd will chop the top and bag it?
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
It's not Boyd's car. Who cares who he is, who his crew is or that he has a show.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

At one point during the proceedings, Boyd actually said it was "exciting" that they had put air in the tires!

And to think, they had originally believed they’d be starting this car.

Ya gotta know that Boyd was grasping for something/anything positive to say about the situation.
ED77KATR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ED77KATRSend a Private Message to ED77KATRDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know how many miles are on the odometer? i do know it was a brand new car at the time. Ed
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
"That'll buff right out"

That was a pretty sad situation

"Well, THAT sucked!"

There was a post here awhile back about a different "time capsule" that was kinda interesting... It had office stuff in it (furniture, machines, etc) hafta look for that...

Maybe they'll find something interesting in the trunk...
wkayl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Maybe they'll find something interesting in the trunk...

The trunk was opened right away.

isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
I was wanting to go to this.. glad we didnt waste our time and money lol
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ED77KATR:

Does anyone know how many miles are on the odometer?

If you squint you can see it in the picture I posted above.

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
It looks like they pulled it out of the Titanic...
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Good thing its still under warranty.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2007 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

It looks like they pulled it out of the Titanic...

It probably would have been better preserved on the bottom of the ocean.
FieroAurora

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2007 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAuroraSend a Private Message to FieroAuroraDirect Link to This Post
You know I think that with the technology we have today we might be able to do this whole bury the car have it work 50 years later... I do however feel sad that this one is such a mess I'm to young to remember anything about this car when it was first around. I buried a time capsle in 1990 to be opened in 2040 so we shall see I was in the 1st maybe 2nd grade... You know what I put in there? A VHS tape of the New Kids On The Block... I'll be 56 when they open it.. think I'll remember all the words to their songs?!
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2007 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroAurora:

You know I think that with the technology we have today we might be able to do this whole bury the car have it work 50 years later... I do however feel sad that this one is such a mess I'm to young to remember anything about this car when it was first around. I buried a time capsule in 1990 to be opened in 2040 so we shall see I was in the 1st maybe 2nd grade... You know what I put in there? A VHS tape of the New Kids On The Block... I'll be 56 when they open it.. think I'll remember all the words to their songs?!

Hopefully you buried a VCR also, otherwise you might need to visit a museum in order to view the tape !!! lol
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2007 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

I grew up in Oklahoma in the 1950s. I know.

What part of OK?

50-57 Martha/Blair for me
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2007 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Well, if anybody can resurrect this mess, it is Coddington. I'll have to watch the show. It will be a dilly.

Arn
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texasfiero:

What part of OK?

Far northwest OKC.
wkayl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2007 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
Boyd said the car should stay "as is" so it must be bad.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2007 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I think he meant stock and unmodified, not unrestored.

Arn
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

R.E. Humbertson, we've got a car for you
By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS, Associated Press Writer
TULSA, Okla. - R.E. Humbertson, wherever you are, you are the winner of "Miss Belvedere," the rusty 1957 Plymouth hauled from its leaky vault last week after being buried for a half century.

Humbertson, born July 1921, or his or her closest living relative, has five years to claim the two-door hardtop that drew international attention when it was unearthed, organizers announced Friday.

When the car was buried in 1957, hundreds of people submitted guesses on what Tulsa's population would be in 2007. Humbertson's guess of 384,743 was only slightly off the official U.S. Census count of 382,457.

There were more than 800 guesses, ranging from zero to 2 billion, written on a paper list and postcards inside a time capsule buried in the concrete vault, supposedly tough enough to withstand a nuclear attack.

"She doesn't belong to anybody, somebody's going to belong to her," said event organizer Sharon King Davis, whose grandfather helped bury the Plymouth.

Davis and others announced the winner at East Tulsa Dodge, where the car had been on display the past week.

True to form, it was a circus: dozens of onlookers crammed into the showroom to get one last look at the rusted-out car, snapping photos with cell phone cameras and chitchatting about what they'd do if they won her.

"I'd throw up my hands and say somebody help me," joked Terry Templin, who was in his 20s when the Plymouth was buried. "My wife wouldn't want it in the garage."

The entries were examined this week by the audit, tax and consulting firm of Deloitte, where a team of volunteers plugged the names and guesses into a spreadsheet to determine a winner.

Several people listed their birthplace as "Indian territory," and dates of birth ranged from 1888 to 1957.

If Humbertson or his or her heirs don't come forward, the gold and white Belvedere will be held in trust for five years, according to the state's Unclaimed Property Act.

After that, a judge or court will decide what to do with it.

"The eyes of the world are still on Tulsa and Miss Belvedere," Davis said.

Bets on Boyd "placing a bid"...
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Kool.

Thanks for posting it.

Arn
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Thanks man, those are awesome.

Brad
isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
After looking at the pictures further.. heres what needs to be done:

1. Buy a pressure washer
2. Kick Boyd in the __ cause he is a dink
3. Pressure wash the car
4. Kick Boyd again in the ___ since he is not moaning as loudly
5. WD40 the car.
6. Change oil
7. Trip Boyd as he is trying to run out the door, you notice his hawaiian shirt out of the corner of your eye.
8. Put new gas in and start it up..

Thanks for the pictures, man.... what a shame..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock