Started on: 05-24-2007 10:45 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 85pontiac on 05-26-2007 10:52 PM
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2007 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
I am working on a 1990 jeep cheerokee 4x4 with a 4.0. When he is going down the road and goes over 50-55 mph the entire front end shakes like crazy, both wheels back and forth like he is swerving really fast. this also happens when he is going over 45 and hits a pothole. as soon as the car gets under 40 mph the shaking stops. there is no play in the front end( tie rods, ball joints or wheel bearings). any ideas?? if you guys have anything cound you please e-mail me at turbowhitesupra@yahoo.com because i can keep an eye on that at work. any help is appreciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2007 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
e-mail sent
lurker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2007 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
i once had a chevy van do similar stuff. wheel bearing.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2007 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
mud in the rims???? is it used off road alot??? check balancing of tires????
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2007 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:
wheel bearing.

As was the same issue with my Jeep CJ 7. My Cj ,another time, also had a broken spring hanger. This part connects the leaf spring to the frame by way of shackels. Basically, the whole axle could move back and forth slightly although it seemed as though everything was tight, no play. Also, inspect your steering box mounting hardware. I have heard of some having problems with broken mounts on CJs.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2007 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Check your front axles "CV" type. If there bad they can start to whip. This is noticed more under torque. If you let off the gas does it still shake? If so I'd pull the axles and check for binding or looseness.
JenzGT2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JenzGT2Send a Private Message to JenzGT2Direct Link to This Post
Hi, I have a 92 Cherokee, just install a 5.5" lift in it! Whoo Hooo!

Anyway, do a search on jeepforum.com or naxja.org for death wobble, it can be a common problem. Get it fixed soon. Could be a number of things. When I had a worn out set of tires, mine would shake between 50-55 then smooth out again. New tires fixed mine. But if yours does it a lot more it is most likely the death wobble. Don't ask me who named it that? lol

Jennifer
85pontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85pontiacSend a Private Message to 85pontiacDirect Link to This Post
As the post above says, go jeepforum.com!!!!!!!
I have an 05 TJ (Wrangler) that I just put a 2" lift on. Before than, I had a 95 YJ Wrangler with 3.5" of lift, and I had some "death wobble" for a while. Turned out to be a bent wheel.
jeepforum.com will have all the answers you will ever need.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock