go kart questions by wetpoop
Started on: 12-20-2006 12:51 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: WBailey1041 on 12-21-2006 12:41 PM
wetpoop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopDirect Link to This Post
Since we have such a diverse group, maybe some one can help. I am interested in buying a go cart, one to be used off road (used on a farm in the field). This would be just for fun, but needs to be able to hold an adult(s). What are some features I should look for, and how much should it cost. I have browsed on ebay, but there is so much stuff, I don't know where to begin. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Get a Honda Odyssey , expensive, but worth it.
AntiKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AntiKevClick Here to visit AntiKev's HomePageSend a Private Message to AntiKevDirect Link to This Post
He wanted a gokart not a minivan.

PS: I DID follow the eBay link...I'm just screwin with ya.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

The Odyssey (and similar Pilot 400) were definitely the best "karts" of their kind. I guess the next best thing would be a near-sand rail type kart...

If you've got the dough to spend this 1000cc 2-seater would be a blast

This is a small 125cc Single seater along the same lines.

Hehe... when I was a kid I had a Northern Hydraulics (now Northern Tool) "Dingo"

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

I just realized it but that is definitely the go-karts they used in Heavyweights for the final race.

Looks like amazing karts, would be worth the money if I had it. I want to one day build a kart with a ATV drivetrain in it.

~ Derek
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2006 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Stock:

The above is not the one we modified.

A buddy & I put a 440 snowmachine engine in one.
We had to weld 100 pounds in the nose.
Uncontrollable & unstable in the dirt, but hell-on-wheels in the straightaway.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-20-2006).]

Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Home made is the way to go if you can. My father and I put one together when I was younger. My dad got serious about it and designed the frame from drawings on the subject and my uncle welded it together for us using square steel tubing. We've abused the #$%^ out of it and so far only weak spot was the seat mounts and we got that straightened out. 5hp briggs and straton can make it go plenty fast but I'm thinkin maybe its time for a 8 or even 13 horse with a torque converter I'll try and dig up some pictures.
Mike Marden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MardenSend a Private Message to Mike MardenDirect Link to This Post
^ ^ ^ how about a 2.8L 4-speed sub-frame?
Silentassassin185

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Hehe then its a dune buggy not a go kart.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Marden:

^ ^ ^ how about a 2.8L 4-speed sub-frame?

If you only put one wheel on the front you can register it as a motorcycle
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I often see plots of land around here that I think would be good for a kart track. I wonder what it would take to build it.

PFF
System Bot
1984_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984_fieroSend a Private Message to 1984_fieroDirect Link to This Post
i have a 1985 honda odyssey id sell you if youd be intrested pm me
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
did somebody say off road? here is what you should get... try the military auctions for cheaper stripped down ones.
Bruno Mid Engine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bruno Mid EngineSend a Private Message to Bruno Mid EngineDirect Link to This Post
Get a used one, should be lots around that would be a blast -
Edit #23 - If and when you get something, realize that eventually you will be blasting through the areas you have access to, this will no doubt include ditches, rocks, ruts, etc. Suspension will be a really good idea. An old quad would work great. The next pic is a go kart I built before air, light and gravity, using a 12 hp 2 cylinder opposed firing chain saw engine, no clutch, was a wild ride but the roughest it was suitable for was gravel roads, did roll it once, toward the non engine side no less, but that's another story -

[This message has been edited by Bruno Mid Engine (edited 12-21-2006).]

AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post
build/buy a frame, build it yourself.... whatever engine you want... anything from a little 5hp motor to a big block
wetpoop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopDirect Link to This Post
thanks for all the input. In responce to the last post, where can I buy a frame and needed parts? I was thinking of staying less than 1500, so a used complete kart may be the way to go. But I am handy with tools and would like the challenge of putting one together, but I am no good at welding.

And I pm'd the offer about buying a kart.
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wetpoop:

thanks for all the input. In responce to the last post, where can I buy a frame and needed parts? I was thinking of staying less than 1500, so a used complete kart may be the way to go. But I am handy with tools and would like the challenge of putting one together, but I am no good at welding.

And I pm'd the offer about buying a kart.

try this

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock