Started on: 10-06-2006 07:54 AM
Replies: 58
Last post by: 88_Fiero_2M4 on 08-12-2007 05:43 AM
DtheC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
I saw the results of a strange incedent in Casper Wyoming about 20 years ago. Long miles in Wyoming with verry little traffic. Arround sunrise a Semi was pulling off at a truck stop with a car impailed on the back of the trailer. On closer inspection the car must have done some hard braking at the time of impact and the nose of the car had been captured by the dock bumper on the trailer. The trailers bumper was firmly lodged past the radiator of the car, no way was that car comming off with out jacking up the rear of the trailer. I didn't talk to the car driver, but I did notice he had Nebraska licence plates, apairently he had figured it was going to be a long ride. He had put the car in Neutral, turned off the engine, the lights and was sound asleep. Or maybe passed out drunk, which might expain the accedent in the first place. The Truck driver was not aware of the accident till another CB person hailed him up after sunrise.
Talk about being in a blind spot. Woot. I got page 2!

[This message has been edited by DtheC (edited 10-28-2006).]

IP: Logged
88_Fiero_2M4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
That bumper is called a DOT bumper. it is required not for docking but to keep cars from going any farther under the trailer. Before that became standard on all trailers people were loosing there heads running into the back of trucks. So that bumper is really a life saver even though it may not look like it. its sat at a standard hight to line up with a cars bumper. I also like it cause it makes it easer to get into the trailer when I have to sweep one out or put in load locks and straps.
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post

88_Fiero_2M4

1312 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Well I am south west of Houston now and have shut down for the night here at Ganada TX. I ran down I 30 to US 59 and followed from Texarkana thru Houston.
I am headed for Lolita TX which is about 20 miles from here and i will del it in the morning.

Safty Tip: Merging. Seems to be a major problem with most drivers. The trick to a good merge with traffic is to pick a spot behind you as your comming down the ramp and pace yourself so you enter at that spot in traffic. Dont try to race the traffic that is on the road as they dont need the jam. Be sure to look early and pick your spot. Dont loose it as your going down the ramp. I see Alot of people come off the ramp without even looking untill there at the merge point, eather that or they have a cell phone and alot of times have to to there left ear. They dont look and have nearly hit me entering the highway, Remember that traffic on the freeway has the rightaway.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88_Fiero_2M4:
Ganada TX.
Lolita TX

Howdy pawdner ! j/k
Wish I were closer, I'd come by. I have drilled oil wells all around there. You should be able to see a drilling rig or two around those parts.
If you take IH 10 west of San Antonio, 60 miles out is Kerrville. Call me, I'll buy ya a dinner.
PM at ya.
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Well if the company sends me that way I will have to stop in there. If I could find a place there to park the truck, Was just looking at the Truckstop hand book and the closest T/S is at Junction, Maby a Walmart closer and right off of IH10 there. Well I will contact you if I make it over there. Thanks for the offer as I wouldnt mind meeting you or anyother Fiero owners along the way.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Maby a Walmart closer and right off of IH10 there.

Nah, but there is a GM dealership on the frontage road at the Hwy 16 exit. Parking should not be a problem there. Very safe. I could shuttle ya from there in the Fiero.
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Well I will tell you eather way if I can or not make it. One of these times that I get home I will be doing some driving in the 88 Coupe, I want to go to a few places on some road trips, I dont get to see much when i am in the truck due to the nature of the job.
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Well time for another update. I did a hour restart at Ganada TX, I however recieved some bad news there. My aunt is in a coma and isnt expected to live. She is bi polar and well had been going through some bad times in her life and had just lost her husband, I guess she had lost the will to live after that and well just like some people have happin her body began to shut down as she neglected herself.

I got a load in Houston and delevored it to Excel, after that I was sent to Louisiana to pick up a load of Paper bound for Ocala Fl to a news paper there. However the Paper plant was slow in getting my load ready so I had to do a swap with another JB Hunt driver and he is going to take it the rest of the way there. I am now in Mobile Alabama and will be assigned another load in the morning. I sure wish I could get over and see the USS Alabama sitting in the bay. The last time I saw it as I mentioned was just before Katrina hit.
I was wondering if anyone from this area knows if one can drive a truck over there and do a tour of the ship or do I have to return sometime in my car or what?
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post

88_Fiero_2M4

1312 posts
Member since Jan 2004
A little CB Chatter. A new piece that I thought I would add on CB Slang. Some words have changed in meaning or nolonger in use due to the lingo following newer trends.
Good Buddy is nolonger a referance to a nice guy. Its now a referance to being homosexual. Alot of that was due to a song called CB Savage.
Full Grown is now another term given to a State Trooper. Hence you have a Full Grown sitting in the Comidian looking at you west bound.
Comidian is the meadian.
Portable Parking lot = Car Hauler
Skate Board = Flat Bed not to be used on Drop deck trailers.
Big Truck = Semi Tractor Trailer.

Town Names
Derby = Louisville KY.
Shakey Town = Los Angles
The Circle = Indianapolis
The Big D = Dallas
Flag Town = Flag Staff AZ
Slippery Town= Slidell LA
Monkey Town = Montgomery
Smoke = Birmmingham
Shy Town = Chicago
Of course alot of the other Names everyone already knows.
Big Apple = New York
Mile High = Denver

Those are the ones I can think of right now.

[This message has been edited by 88_Fiero_2M4 (edited 11-01-2006).]

88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Bump So I dont loose this thread
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Town Names

San Antonio? Alamo City or River City?
What is Houston called?
Thanks for the lingo update. Does 'fine seat covers' still describe the hot babe besides someone ?
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

A little CB Chatter. A new piece that I thought I would add on CB Slang. Some words have changed in meaning or nolonger in use due to the lingo following newer trends.

Thanks for sharing, you never know when something will come in handy
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2006 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

San Antonio? Alamo City or River City?
What is Houston called?
Thanks for the lingo update. Does 'fine seat covers' still describe the hot babe besides someone ?

Yep seat covers but most drivers are getting away from alot of the cb lingo now thougth. I personaly dont use it as I am not much of a talker on the CB myself. To much garbage on it these days anyway. I use it mostly when I get to shippers and recivers to talk with them and get my dock info. I also use it for directions and other info.
When i had a faster truck I would keep it on all the time so I knew where the bears were. Not so worried about that with JB Hunt though there are a few states out there that have that 55 mph speed limit for trucks still. Just wondering why and when they are going to change it.
I havent been doing much lately as freight has slown down alot lately. I sat in Little Rock for the last three days not counting I went saturday and picked up the load I have now. Its a load of 7 big paper rolls. 7 divided by 42000 lbs makes for alot of paper. I was at home last week due to a death in the family, My aunt passed away after slipping into a coma and we had her funeral last tuesday. not much else happining,
O ya another chapter on the saga about people and the new Play Station 3. We had a trailer load of them in the yard and someone broke in to it and stole 7 of them. \
Sony Needs to re think there price on them I guess. or people need to learn to control themselves. Are things really worth breaking the law over? Man I want one but I will wait for one.
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Well I spent a few days at Little Rock Arkansas then I got a load that I took to Athens Alabama. I was near by there where that bad school bus wreck was but I didnt see it. I then went up to Nashville and picked up a load headed back home. I am sitting at Kansas City for the night and will head on into Colorado in the morning. I guess I will spend Thanksgiving on the road as I wont get to Denver till late in the evening tomrrow. but that comes with the job. I will spend Friday at Ft Collins then head back to del this load on Saturday, Then its off to home where I will spend my 29th birthday. Yep my Birthday is on the 27th of November.
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post

88_Fiero_2M4

1312 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Thought I should share this with you all its a good bit of safty info for you all to look at.
Happy Thanksgiving, And all be safe out there the roads are among the most dangrous places to be at any time. 45,000 people die on the roads every year, dont be one of them.

http://www.sharetheroadsafely.org/

------------------
Don Pottorff
Maroon 88 GT
Red 88 2M4
Silver 86 2M4
Red 85 GT 1:18 Scale

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

I guess I will spend Thanksgiving on the road as I wont get to Denver till late in the evening tomrrow. but that comes with the job.

Gosh that sucks. I too am often away from home, working, on those days people gather and celebrate. Made easier knowing the joy of the season is in me. Take time to appreciate that joy. It is a day for thanks, gatherings are secondary.
Happy Thanksgiving to 'ya.
You are driving a rolling billboard. Get some chalk and print a thanksgiving message to the travelers sharing your roadway. Many times strangers get together and have memorable celebrations.
Happy birthday to ya also.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Where are you now ?
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Here are a few more pictures First I am running in West VA across I-64 I snapped this to show that we get a much better view from bridges and see more of the scenery.

Just and Idea of what we see in the Mirror so you all know about the large Blind Spots. Note I cant see my tractor tires I can see the trailer tires But when a car gets along side the tractor it also dissappears. Also note the Shadow way behind me. There is a car there but I cant see it. Behind the trailer is a very large blind Spot. This picture demonstrates that it goes for about a mile behiind me.

Now to share my living/ Work space Here we have the Drivers seat and Dash The Red and Yellow buttons control the Air brakes for parking The Red for the Trailer and the Yellow for the tractor The Two switches next to them dump the air suspention on the tractor for easer unhooking from the trailer. The one under it ingages the Interaxel differential kind of like 4 wheel drive normaly one axel is driving and the other is free wheeling. All the small switches control Lights, Wipers, and the Jake Break. Guages on the panel the two top ones on the right are Air Pressure as this truck has two guages for the duel Air System this truck has. Bottom guage is Fuel level of course the larger two in the middle are the Speedometer and RPM the Detroit Red lines at 2100 rpm Idol is at 850 and normal operational range is 1300 to 1700. The shifter is much like a manual in a car only we have Ten Gears. we go thru the first five then flip a switch on the shifter and go thru them again. Of course the petals are much like a car only larger. The other Guages are the same as most cars Temp, Oil Pressure, and Charge. The Display above the Speed and Tach is my Computer readout it has several displays and are controlled by the row of buttons above the Climate Controls. Displays are trip, Fuel, and Outside Temp.

In this picture you see the right side of the sleeper area and my TV. Two Storage compartments One above and one below the TV. I run both my TV and my Computer off of a 350W inverter that is plugged in behind the TV.

And finaly where I sleep. These trucks have two beds an upper and Lower bunk. I use the upper for storage and Sleep in the Lower. Just ahead of the Bunk on the floor you can see my Cooler. It works as good as a Fridge and I use it for meat Cheese and any drinks I carry that arent kept in the other Storage. I also have a small cooker that looks like a Lunch box that I plug into a cigarette lighter. Just above the Fridge is a pull out desk That I mostly use as a dinner table. and above that you can see a nice little night stand where that green thing is my Alarm. As it takes a very loud noise to wake me up that alarm sounds like and is almost as loud as a Car alarm. Due to the Noise in a truck I am hard of hearing at times. Of course above that is more storage.
The Roof of the Sleeper is so tall that I can stand on that stand next to the bunk and still not touch the roof.

88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post

88_Fiero_2M4

1312 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by cliffw:

Where are you now ?

Dang I didnt see your post there Cliff. Been along time and I got side tracked on this. I wasnt posting every day and Keeping track of everywhere I have been is hard to do. Every part of the country is getting to look very fimular. Like in a trucking song "White Line Fever" By Meril Haggard

White Line Fever
A sickness born down deep within my soul
White Line Fever
The years keep flyin' by like the highline poles
The wrinkles in my forehead show the miles I've put behind me
They continue to remind how fast I'm growin' old
Guess I'll die with this fever in my soul
I wonder just what makes a man keep pushing on
What makes me keep on hummin' this old highway song
I've been from coast to coast a hundred times before
I ain't found one single place where I ain't been before
White Line Fever
A sickness born down deep within my soul
White Line Fever
The years keep flyin' by like the highline poles
BTW I am sitting in Indianapolis This morning. Yesterday I was in Green Bay. and in a few days I will be in Texas again.

[This message has been edited by 88_Fiero_2M4 (edited 08-12-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock