Started on: 12-10-2006 08:58 AM
Replies: 44
Last post by: AusFiero on 12-11-2006 08:24 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Here's our new Smart convertible:

- Transversal mid-engine layout
- turbocharged 3 cylinder 799 cc engine
- sequential 6-speed gearbox (completely automatic at the push of a button)
- all leather interior with heated seats
- electric convertible top
- 16" BRABUS wheels (205 rear and 175 front tires)
- factory performance sound system with subwoofer and extra tweeters
- special "i-move" edition with built in i-Pod with stereo hook-up

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake hoses. PU dog bone, all bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, Rebuilt&blueprinted V6, BORLA exhaust. Mercedes SLK yellow paintjob, Mr. Mikes leather seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 deck and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front, Aus' Stage 2 side scoops, "Fie Ro" extractor front scoop. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet, air intake. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter, SS vacuum lines and deck lid strut. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 12-10-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
I liked the roadster coupe thing they had.. too bad it was dropped before it hit the US as I was actually thiking of getting one.
Falcon4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 161
User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
I could eat that thing...

Very interesting car... what's it get for MPG?

------------------

'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153k miles, stock everything, just trying to make it all work again.
Shameless self promotion: PIP giving you problems? Check out
http://hostfile.org!
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
You already know what a Deer can do to an SUV. Imagine a Deer and a Smart.... not pretty.

S. Williams

I've seen the vids however, most deer stikes around here the animal came in through the WINDSHIELD. No crash zone is going to stop that.... !

Some countries don't have ultra compacts for a reason....
------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 12-10-2006).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Lots of fun to drive and fits in the (one car) garage together with the Fiero!

I get about 5 liter/100 km or 47 MPG with normal driving. Top speed is 140 km/h or 87 MPH.
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

You already know what a Deer can do to an SUV. Imagine a Deer and a Smart.... not pretty.

Smarts have less mass behind them and don't need nearly as much "protection" as an SUV does. Chances are you'll get away with a few major dents but not even a scratch on your body.

edit: Decent mileage... hey, is that engine in the front or back? And do you have a higher res picture you can post of it? Looks interesting...

[This message has been edited by Falcon4 (edited 12-10-2006).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon4:

Smarts have less mass behind them and don't need nearly as much "protection" as an SUV does. Chances are you'll get away with a few major dents but not even a scratch on your body.

edit: Decent mileage... hey, is that engine in the front or back? And do you have a higher res picture you can post of it? Looks interesting...

The ads said 'mid engine'..

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
The size of a car and its strength in a crash are not proportional at all. You can crash a (tiny) F1 car into a wall with 200 mph head-on and the driver doesn't have a scratch.

Look here for some Smart crash test videos:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eghIfyHP0

S. Williams

Some countries don't have ultra compacts for a reason....

klork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for klorkSend a Private Message to klorkDirect Link to This Post
My god I would never want to work on that engine. Doesnt look like you can get to it at all except for the top.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Here's a high-res pic: This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Originally posted by Falcon4:

And do you have a higher res picture you can post of it? Looks interesting...

Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

The ads said 'mid engine'..

Well hell, a car that small, the engine could be in your crotch if it's accessible from the front! Hence still a "mid engine"

edit: Sweet car, but I meant the engine.

[This message has been edited by Falcon4 (edited 12-10-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
You can drop it out the bottom... sounds familiar?

Originally posted by klork:

My god I would never want to work on that engine. Doesnt look like you can get to it at all except for the top.

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

You can drop it out the bottom... sounds familiar?

I seem to forget which other car that can do that
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post

Newbfiero

2989 posts
Member since Mar 2006
And also the can take guite a bit of a hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Now that's pretty sweet. No Surprisingly-Unsafe-Vehicle (SUV) would ever be able to claim that.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
Good Luck finding aftermarket wheels for THAT bolt pattern

------------------

AIM:Onefast2M8
02 Jetta 1.8t
98 GTI 2.slow
02 CBR 954RR

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-10-2006 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

Good Luck finding aftermarket wheels for THAT bolt pattern

3 bolts? Eek.
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
"Aww damn it Martha! I told you not to wash the minivan using hot water! Now see what happened?"

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2006 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
I like Smart cars and would drive one myself but with all the Jacked up Hummers, Excursions, Escalades and Burbans with cell phone chatting idiots driving them I wouldn't feel safe. I put my X-19 in storage for that reason.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how that'll hold up in a crash without the section of the cage that makes the passenger capsule so strong on the regular smart cars.

I saw a Smart here a few weeks ago on a car lot, I missed out on test driving it. They were taking prepping it for an auto auction as i was wandering around it to see if maybe I could take a test drive. Used one... no idea what it was going for. They had it parked next to a newer Lotus like someones been posting pictures of. No idea how you'd get parts for either one around here.

I think I'd rather have my TUV legal 85 Mini again.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I think it's funny how many Fiero owners assume SMART cars are unsafe. Since we all drive deathtraps, you know.
How many threads are there on here about people complaining that "idiots" call their Fiero unsafe because it's so small?

Cool little car. If/when they sell them in the U.S., I'll definitely check them out. I really love the roadster.
PFF
System Bot
Mattyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MattymanSend a Private Message to MattymanDirect Link to This Post
Not my cup of tea, but I have seen plenty of them since I am in London for a few weeks. I was watching 'Top Gear' where they tested one of the Smart Cars around the track and it was quite amusing. When going around a bend, the thing kept going straight....(I know, its not made for that but it was still funny).

I'm surprised with such a small vehicle/engine that the gas mileage isnt better than 47, but thats still pretty good. I'm pushing about 37 in my Civic on the highway.
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2006 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Cute car, how does it handle? With it being so small, lightweight, and mid-engine, it shouldn't handle that bad?

I wouldn't say I'd buy a smart if they sold them in the U.S., but I'd seriously consider 1 above other cars.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
I never said the SMART car was unsafe, just that the deer around here are going to be MUCH closer to you in the SMART than they are in a fiero.
S. Williams
It is a nice looking car though, perfect for city driving in an SUV-less society LOL

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

I liked the roadster coupe thing they had.. too bad it was dropped before it hit the US as I was actually thiking of getting one.

I believe there are ongoing discussions of another manufacturer bringing back the SMART roadster and possibly exporting to the US.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060321/FREE/60320006/1041/LATESTNEWS
Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

I never said the SMART car was unsafe, just that the deer around here are going to be MUCH closer to you in the SMART than they are in a fiero.
S. Williams
It is a nice looking car though, perfect for city driving in an SUV-less society LOL

With the aerodynamics of the fiero, wouldnt you hit the deer, and then have it fly over the car as you pass under it? lol

I saw a SMART car when I was living in Cali and until I found out what it was, I just assumed it was some kind of postal vehicle. I want to see what it looks like when Yellowstone gets done customizing it.

------------------
------------------

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
Yellowstone,
The clowns at the circus want their funny car back.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I think that thing could fit in the bed of my truck!

This might be the only car in the world where a T25 turbo would be a huge upgrade.

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty cute! How much does it weigh?

Does the instrumant panel tilt from side to side?

swisscheese

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post
I had one as a rental for one day. It did the job fine, but I would never ever buy one...

But if you talk to people who own a Smart, they are all very happy with it!

[This message has been edited by swisscheese (edited 12-11-2006).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

It seems so odd that a lot of you guys aren't familar with these cars. I keep forgetting you don't have them in the States. Up here in the frozen north (well, at least in my part of the frozen wet north) they are quite common.
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
http://www.break.com/index/german_cop_crashes_kids_bike.html common enough for this to be normal, I have seen them in the background allot
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Cute little car. I would consider something like that if I lived in the inner city, of a big city.
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

I get about 5 liter/100 km or 47 MPG with normal driving. Top speed is 140 km/h or 87 MPH.

Is that 47 miles per US or UK gallon? Either way, it disappoints me. I would have thought given the SMART's attributes and the hype that you would be in the mid-50s or better!

For comparison, we have a 2001 VW Beetle; 1.9L turbo diesel, 5-speed manual. It averages 45mpg (~54mpg UK), has a top speed well above 140 km/h, and has significantly more cabin space. Not to mention that when we hauled a fully-dressed engine on a trailer for about 250km, there was no noticable change in fuel consumption.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I've taken dumps bigger than that car....
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Never compare a gas and a diesel engine! My Smart runs on gas. There turbo-diesel powered Smart gets 3,5 liter/100 km or 67 mpg...

And the biggest reason to have a Smart is not the styling or the economy or anything but YOU FIT IN THE TIGHTEST PARKING SPACES THAT NO ONE ELSE FITS INTO!

If you ever lived in a larger European city you'd appreciate that. A lot.

Originally posted by dguy:

Is that 47 miles per US or UK gallon? Either way, it disappoints me. I would have thought given the SMART's attributes and the hype that you would be in the mid-50s or better!

For comparison, we have a 2001 VW Beetle; 1.9L turbo diesel, 5-speed manual. It averages 45mpg (~54mpg UK), has a top speed well above 140 km/h, and has significantly more cabin space. Not to mention that when we hauled a fully-dressed engine on a trailer for about 250km, there was no noticable change in fuel consumption.

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Never compare a gas and a diesel engine! My Smart runs on gas. There turbo-diesel powered Smart gets 3,5 liter/100 km or 67 mpg...

Ahh, that would do it. I had the impression that they were all diesels for some reason.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
How well do they handle in the snow?
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
I would be afraid that I would die in it. I lived in germany for 7 years and the smalest thing that I ever saw on the road was a bug. Good luck with it and I would be happy with 67mpg with the gas prices out here

------------------
Fiero Thomas
86 Fiero GT
85 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
www.fieronews.net

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
This is my third Smart. I bought one in 1999 (one of the first 1500, called the "limited 1" series) and had it for 2 years. It was used in London/UK, Madrid/Spain and by my then-girlfriend in Paris/France. Then I bought another one in 2003 and had it for 3 years (until last Friday) and the new convertible is my third.

I'm a huge fan of Smart cars. They are fun, comfortable, zippy and perfect for city driving (but I did drive from London to Madrid one time, that's 1800 km or 1120 miles). And one of the cars that best hold their resale value.

And they are MUCH safer than a VW Bug ever was!

And don't complain about gas prices. A gallon of premium gasoline is well above 6 USD around here! (1 liter = 1,20 Euro)

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

I would be afraid that I would die in it. I lived in germany for 7 years and the smalest thing that I ever saw on the road was a bug. Good luck with it and I would be happy with 67mpg with the gas prices out here

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 12-11-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock