Started on: 10-27-2006 06:21 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: Jake_2m4 on 10-29-2006 05:58 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2006 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
PHILADELPHIA - A federal jury awarded $24.2 million to two men who were severely burned by electrical wires when they trespassed onto railroad property and climbed atop a rail car.

Jeffrey Klein and Brett Birdwell, who were 17 at the time of the accident, sued Amtrak and Norfolk Southern Corp. after being burned by a 12,500-volt electrical wire in Lancaster in August 2002. In their lawsuit, they argued that the companies should have placed warning signs alerting people to the wires, which power locomotives.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15446658/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I don't blame the two winners for trying though their greed is obvious, I blame the dumb a$$ jurors that gave them the win. Ever wonder why things that are worth 99 cents are priced at $10.99, stupid liability claims like this are just one of the reasons.

You just can't legislate common sense and apparently the lack of that same quality is the responsibility of everyone else, not the dummies that were somewhere that knew they shouldn't be.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-27-2006).]

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

In their lawsuit, they argued that the companies should have placed warning signs alerting people to the wires, which power locomotives.

I used to live in Philly, I'm sure Lancaster is the same. Been there a few times. Unless you are in a terminal getting ready to board a train there should be plenty of fence around the lines, cars and trains along with "Keep Out" and "No Trespassing" signs, etc.

Guess by that logic there must be a SPECIFIC sign for EVERY danger. Reminds me of the song......... signs, signs everywhere are signs. Blocking out the scenery.......................

Ohhhhhh. What a world.

And they had to CLIMB on top of the train!

A few sign suggestions for the Railroad:

DANGER - Do not climb train

DANGER - Train may cause injury, it's big heavy and powered by electricity!

DANGER - so on and so forth, blah blah blah....

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 10-27-2006).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2006 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to wet-hump a lightsocket.
Hey, it didn't say NOT to!!!
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

DANGER - Wet humping a light socket may cause severe peni$ damage!
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tutnkmn:

DANGER - Do not climb train

DANGER - Train may cause injury, it's big heavy and powered by electricity!

DANGER - Danger signs slightly painful if walked into

DANGER - Danger signs ahead

What a sad world we live in
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

It's thinking like that that's lead to the warning label on a curling iron that reads:

"Do not insert into any bodily orifice."

http://www.dumb.com/productwarnings.htm
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Pine Mountain Fire Logs
Caution: Risk of fire

Children's Superman Costume
Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.

Rowenta Iron
Warning: Never iron clothes on the body.

A toilet bowl cleaning brush.
Do not use orally.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
It's thinking like that that's lead to the warning label on a curling iron that reads:
"Do not insert into any bodily orifice."
http://www.dumb.com/productwarnings.htm

Lot of good stuff there.

Originally posted by blackrams:
Ever wonder why things that are worth 99 cents are priced at $10.99, stupid liability claims like this are just one of the reasons.

Also a reason many new products do not make it to market and many ventures do not become new companies.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35940 posts
Member since Jun 2003

A federal jury awarded $24.2 million to two men .............

I have worked all my life and I have not made 24 million.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
I saw somewhere in the last couple days that 2 border patrolmen near Mexico are being charged with murder because they shot at some illegals,that were in their minds threatening them.I don't remember all the details,but when I first saw this story I thought they were only doing their jobs.
PFF
System Bot
DtheC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post

PHILADELPHIA - A federal jury awarded $24.2 million to two men who were severely burned by electrical wires when they trespassed onto railroad property and climbed atop a rail car.

Jeffrey Klein and Brett Birdwell, who were 17 at the time of the accident, sued Amtrak and Norfolk Southern Corp. after being burned by a 12,500-volt electrical wire in Lancaster in August 2002. In their lawsuit, they argued that the companies should have placed warning signs alerting people to the wires, which power locomotives.

So........I guess that train fare's won't be getting cheaper anytime soon.

When will juries come to realize that companies, while they do sign the check, don't realy give any money to these idjets.
The money these two goofballs will get comes from the society as a whole, particularly the commuters and shippers who use Amtrak and Norfolk Southern.

"Birdwell, who was burned over 18 percent of his body, was awarded more than $588,000. The jury also awarded a total of $12.5 million in punitive damages."

"Birdwell, who is now serving with the Army in Afghanistan, spent a year recovering from his burns".

Ok, maybe I can see $1/2 mil for medical expences?

Assuming the US Army isn't presently hiring disabled personel, $12.5/ 2 = $6.25 million for a year of down time?

Whats the ambulance chasers percentage of this settlement?
------------------
Ol' Paint, 88 Base coupe auto.
Turning white on top, like owner.
Leaks a little, like owner.
Doesn't smoke, unlike owner

[This message has been edited by DtheC (edited 10-27-2006).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DtheC:
Whats the ambulance chasers percentage of this settlement?

You have hit the nail on the head. I still fault the jurors for buying into what the lawyers sell but, the real problem is all the friggin lawyers we have, they permeate our society. We're dumb enough to allow/vote them into office where they legislate the laws to their benefit, not to our benefit.

Reminds me of the old joke. Did you hear about the bus wreck? It's a real shame, a bus load of folks went over a cliff, they were all lawyers, the shame was, two empty seats.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-28-2006).]

FieroAngel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAngelSend a Private Message to FieroAngelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by moleman_in_a_FieroGT:

DANGER - Danger signs slightly painful if walked into

Hehe I've done that

Anyway 24 million for 18% burns. Gheeze my grandfather was burned 90% of his body in an explosion at Union Carbide (now dow chemical) when he worked there and all he got was fired. This was before workers comp though. These kids will probably never work and end up abusing the money by starting drugs and wasting their life away.

------------------

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

You have hit the nail on the head. I still fault the jurors for buying into what the lawyers sell but, the real problem is all the friggin lawyers we have, they permeate our society. We're dumb enough to allow/vote them into office where they legislate the laws to their benefit, not to our benefit.

Reminds me of the old joke. Did you hear about the bus wreck? It's a real shame, a bus load of folks went over a cliff, they were all lawyers, the shame was, two empty seats.

I remember reading somewhere there was a law written around the time of the founding of the United States that lawyers were forbidden from holding public office. Can't remember the details though. I think the law is still on the books which would make most of our politicians illegally in office!
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroAngel:
These kids will probably never work and end up abusing the money by starting drugs and wasting their life away.

Hopefully at a rapid pace so karma gets it's justice.

Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Disgusting. So, you get paid more than I will ever see in my lifetime of hard working for being a bunch of stupid ******* ***** *******. What the hell is wrong with this country? This happened in my neck of the woods (or the ghetto, Philth-a-delphia and Lancaster could just dissapear and it would probably be for the better) and I see the kind of stupidity that plaques this area where I live and where I go to school. Not that I am completely blaming the two ******* that got burned, it is also the fault of the jurers who somehow think that giving people money for acting like they should ride the short bus. The worst is the ambulance chasers who start these suits in the first place. People should not be able to collect money is they are hurt while commiting a crime. PERIOD. It is horrible to say this, but it would have been better if they had come across to crispy fried ******* on the powerlines instead.

~ Derek

[This message has been edited by Derek_85GT (edited 10-28-2006).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroAngel:
These kids will probably never work and end up abusing the money by starting drugs and wasting their life away.

It's the New American DreamTM.
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It's the New American DreamTM.

O yes, on that note can I get rid of most kids my age, or at least ship them away to a desert island?

PLEASE!?!?!
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post

Ed
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I saw the story in a few local sources as well. It's the same BS where criminals breaking into your house sue you for any injury they got, or their family sues you for wrongful death etc for shooting them, while robbing you. This one was no surprise.

This kind of crap is why coffee cups now have a caution warning on them at many takeouts and McD's. Hmm gee, fresh coffee is hot... go figure.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Pine Mountain Fire Logs
Caution: Risk of fire

Children's Superman Costume
Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.

Rowenta Iron

A toilet bowl cleaning brush.
Do not use orally.

We have a chainsaw outside right now that says something like "Warning: Do not attempt to stop chain with hands".

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Warning: being alive may cause death.
Jake_2m4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_2m4Send a Private Message to Jake_2m4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Rowenta Iron

The saddest part is I used to know someone in High School that did that and burned herself. At least she knew better than to sue anyone for her own stupidity.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock