Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Gas prices less than $2 per gallon? Can it happen? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Gas prices less than $2 per gallon? Can it happen? by Songman
Started on: 09-11-2006 12:31 PM
Replies: 96
Last post by: Spoon on 10-29-2006 09:50 PM
88GTNeverfinished

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

There are several things involved...

There is also that thing about November elections, but no that couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.
IP: Logged
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTNeverfinished:

There is also that thing about November elections, but no that couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.

Is Austrailia also having elections in November? Aus said prices are dropping there, too.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Is Austrailia also having elections in November? Aus said prices are dropping there, too.

It has to look legit.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Amazing! It is not enough that George Bush is on a lone rampage to ruin this country in some people's minds but now it is a worldwide conspiracy too... I am sure it is all Bush's fault just like everything else in people's lives is... How are those hemmorhoids he caused ya'll to have? Are they getting better or is he making them worse?

It is just total horse crap that no matter what you make a thread about the same people have to turn it into the same old political discussion.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:
...It is just total horse crap that no matter what you make a thread about the same people have to turn it into the same old political discussion.

I just let 'em rant, and don't comment.

I have resolved to quit arguing with idiots.
I have found that they'll attempt to drag you down to their level and then whip you with experience.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-14-2006).]

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Gas is down here, too. Moving on campus helped me a lot, I drive the car a lot less now. Also, theres a very cheap station right next to my work, and work is only 15 mins away. Just got lucky, I guess.

On the other hand, and it makes me feel kinda old to say it, but when I started driving, gas was $1.32, so I'll be impressed when it gets back into that terrirtory.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, you're old, Scott! It was 55 cents when I started driving! I can remember under 30 cents in my lifetime.
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
I remember when I started driving gas was just under a dollar. It was just teetering at under and over 1$ and I would refuse to fill up unless it was under a buck......... now I laugh at that.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
*Ahem*

Damn I feel old.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
I remember 50 cent regular gas when I was younger. It was around 70 when I started driving.
Gas is not that expensive given the inflation over the years. I feel the problem is the sudden increase that has crippled the markets and the average household budget.
If prices had risen slowly it would not be such a big deal but we have kept those prices artificially low for years.

Right now cheap gas is about 2.70 around here.
On average my Girlfriend and I have a 700 dollar a month gasoline expenditure. I am now driving my four cylinder coupe at 33 mpg to save money.
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
amoco here is 258.9 for ultimate (91 octane)

------------------

AIM:Onefast2M8
02 Jetta 1.8t
98 GTI 2.slow
02 CBR 954RR

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
$2.09 here in Corpus Christi.
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
The cheapest here for 85 octane is $2.69 a gallon. This particular gas station used to be the cheapest around here, but while every other gas stations prices fell they stayed the same at $2.79 a gallon for 85, I guess they realized they couldn't keep gouging people and expect them to keep gassing up there.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
THIS is an interesting site. You can pick a time frame and up to 3 cities across the country.

John Stricker
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
Several communities around Des Moines, IA today report $1.97 to $1.99 gas this morning.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Nope, I fail to see how I took your thread off topic, Songman. Please point it out to me in a PM so I know what not to do next time.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
$2.39 at some stations here today.

People blabbering about about the price of crude and pump gas being related to elections should at least do basic research.

1. There is not and has not been any crude shortage. OPEC and The Entire global oil industry have said so for some time.
2. The global price per barrel has nothing to do with U.S. wants or whims. It is however being affected by a couple types of investors new to oil trading that are hoping to capitolize on, and likely even cause, problems they can make a buck from. Even OPEC has looked at those prices and essentially said WTF is going on.
3. You are paying the price of adding Ethanol to fuel. Ethanol blends cannot be shipped in the pipeline system. Adding ethanol is a huge expense.

The Corn Lobby has given you want many of you wanted... A renewable fuel source. Never mind that is it an extremely impractical one for much of the nation. Fortunately the days of Gasoline are in decline now that Diesel has been cleaned up and "Euro" Diesel engines are crossing the pond. Cleaning up Diesel is one of the few things USEPA has done right in years. These engines now make up more than half of all new vehicle sales in most of Europe with numbers increasing yearly. I'm hoping I can keep my Fiero running long enough for these to make some decent market penetration. At that point I'll get one and look for sources of Biodiesel blends. Even on straight crude diesel, the euro engines do better than gas for MPG what still means less oil needed.

Even for gasoline engines, I have more hope for Butanol than Ethanol. http://www.butanol.com/ is a bit of an infomercial but other recent press is reporting that BP and DuPont are in a joint venture on it.

Like ethanol, butanol is an alcohol compound, but with four carbon atoms instead of two. DuPont says the different chemical structure of butanol gives it several advantages over ethanol, including tolerance to water contamination, which makes it more suitable for transportation via pipeline.

That one fact alone means Butanol will do away with the rail/truck shipping required for Ethanol. Shipping Ethanol is not only expensive but puts a major dent into the oil savings claimed by the Corn Lobby. Even the Corn Lobby should be looking at this as you can use corn among other things to make it. Far as I can tell you get more of it and can use more of the plant instead of just the corn Kernals. That means less waste and pre processing.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

1. There is not and has not been any crude shortage. OPEC and The Entire global oil industry have said so for some time.
2. The global price per barrel has nothing to do with U.S. wants or whims. It is however being affected by a couple types of investors new to oil trading that are hoping to capitolize on, and likely even cause, problems they can make a buck from. Even OPEC has looked at those prices and essentially said WTF is going on.

Gas/oil prices have a 60% fear markup. I think the latest round of price decreases have been reductions in fear. Less worry that Iran is going to shut off their supply, and most importantly less worry about hurricanes.

I mentioned this in another thread, but when Dr. Grey made his adjustment to the september hurricane forcast, oil prices fell by 3 percent! Now that everybody sees there will be no hurricanes making US landfall this year, oil is falling like a brick

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Gas/oil prices have a 60% fear markup. I think the latest round of price decreases have been reductions in fear. Less worry that Iran is going to shut off their supply, and most importantly less worry about hurricanes.

Wait, I thought this was about the elections? Geez.

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 09-16-2006).]

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Even for gasoline engines, I have more hope for Butanol than Ethanol. http://www.butanol.com/ is a bit of an infomercial but other recent press is reporting that BP and DuPont are in a joint venture on it.

That one fact alone means Butanol will do away with the rail/truck shipping required for Ethanol. Shipping Ethanol is not only expensive but puts a major dent into the oil savings claimed by the Corn Lobby. Even the Corn Lobby should be looking at this as you can use corn among other things to make it. Far as I can tell you get more of it and can use more of the plant instead of just the corn Kernals. That means less waste and pre processing.

Is that a pipe dream or a reality in the making... that's the question. Replaced gasoline 100% with no changes, raises mileage, cleaner burning... No more NOx or SOx?

But downsides... It's over $6 a gallon in 55 gallon drums... about the same as race gas. $3.70 by the barge load... ummm... that's way more than gasoline even after the taxes... and you haven't hit retail markup. The big claim is to be able to drop that to 85 cents thru this new process, hydrogen spinoffs, and using the waste as feed for cattle. Think we have enough cows to eat the waste if instead of producing the 350 million gallons a year... we produce the 500 BILLION gallons that is used in gasoline now?

So the market needs to drop cost by a decimal place to be competative at the retail level, and needs to ramp eventually to about 1000x it's present level if it's going to replace gasoline.

I'm curious about the side effects of this fuel, considering it's a solvent... will it require more gasket redesigns? Does burning it create any new types of pollutants compared to gasoline? Will it do bad bad things when the combusted cases interact with catalytic convertors as presently designed?

It looks like if they can get production yeilds up as the one site claims and cost down, it's a win win win. The other question is if there is a better crop to start with for the base ingredient like beets, soy, rapeseed? Something with lower impact on the land, higher yeild per acre, maybe more crops per year... maybe hemp.

PFF
System Bot
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
2.29 a gallon here right now
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
barely inching down to 2.50 this morning.
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post
Most places around here are 1.99-2.09 I just filled up at 1.99 a gal
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by greengoblin0129:

Most places around here are 1.99-2.09 I just filled up at 1.99 a gal

just moved to 2.24 a gallon here.

matthew

silversurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silversurferSend a Private Message to silversurferDirect Link to This Post
cheapest station that I have seen arount here was 2.69 for the 87 grade.Damn New York taxes keep it high
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Just hit $1.99 gallon here today.

Kevin
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Just hit $1.99 gallon here today.

Kevin

NO NO NO!! It's too soon!!! The election's not until NOVEMBER!!!! OMG!!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
$2.26 here today.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
$2.12 here, today.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
1.97 in kansas city today
PFF
System Bot
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
yes Gas prices are dropping
Now as cheap as $1.10.7 per litre
Now it takes Only $35 to fill up the fiero

Originally posted by Formula88:

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

1.97 in kansas city today

Saw it here at a new gas station! Mostly 2.05 or 2.07 at the discount stations....

------------------
John DuRette
Custom 85 SE/87 Coupe
"Kinda makes you nostalgic for a Members Only jacket"

5.0Vert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2006 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5.0VertSend a Private Message to 5.0VertDirect Link to This Post
So why did gasoline go down so much? From a friend...

There is a lot of reasons. If you watch the US news outlets, you'll only hear for investors with a vested interest and they will say that oil is going down because the Iran and Israel situations have calmed down. That is absolute bullshit. The Iran situation hasn't calmed down at all. Iran told everyone to **** off. And no one has been able to explain how Israel and Lebenon have anything to do with ****in' oil prices...

There is one reason and one reason alone that oil prices, and thus gas prices, have gone down. Supply and demand.

Oil supplies are at RECORD highs. They are so high that Iran had to lease 14 oil tanker to store oil because their land based tanks are 100% full. Saudi Arabia is in the same situation.

Just look at the Alaskan Pipeline. It was, and still is, shutdown for over a month. So if supply lines are sooooooo ****in' tight, why hasn't the price of oil way up? Because there are no supply issues right now. The market has been in Contango for over a year now and speculators are slowly trying to cut their losses...

The really good news. This isn't over! None of the major oil hedge funds have pulled out yet. When the first one does, this whole thing is going to come crumbling down. I still still stand by my prediction that oil is going to hit 40 bucks before the end of the year. Hell, I think 30 bucks is attainable.

Cliff notes:
1. Oil got too high because of ****in' speculators.
2. Speculators have over extended themselves and the price they paid on the futures market isn't being covered on the spot market.
3. Speculators are selling at a loss and the oil bubble is on the verge of bursting...

4. You ain't seen **** yet!!

Also:

1. There is NO TAX on Ethanol. In fact, there is a $0.51 SUBSIDY on every gallon of ethanol that is mixed with gasoline.

2. There is a $0.61 tarriff on ethanol from Brazil. This is because Brazilian ethanol, which is made from Sugar Cane is about 10 times cheaper than ethanol made from corn.

3. Ethanol is a pathetic joke. Ethanol made from corn is flat out MORONIC. For every unit of energy you put into the manufacture of Ethanol from corn you get 1.2 units back. When you use sugar cane, you get 8 units back. When you use cellulostic processes (which are not currently practical) you get about 20 units. Oil, refined into gas gives a return somewhere north of 100 units. I'll have to go look up the numbers to give you the exact figures....

4. Ethanol has a lower energy density than gas. So using E85 WILL drop your fuel economy by as much as 25%. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfueltype.htm can give you the exact mileage comparisons on vehicles that run on E85.

5. The 10% ethanol blend we are using right now (as mandated by Congress) caused gas prices to spike by as much as $0.40 per gallon higher earlier this summer. Right now, the wholesale price of Ethanol is right now is about 3 bucks. That is costing YOU $0.30 extra per gallon of regular gas with a 10% ethanol mix. That is before any profits are added in.

I could spend all day pulling any arguement for ethanol apart. But I think Ed Wallas does a much better job in this BusinessWeek article.

http://businessweek.com/autos/content/apr2006/bw20060427_493909.htm?campaign_id=hp_views&campaign_creative=Ed%20Wallace

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2006 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
There's no market manipulation in gasoline, no, not at all. It's as open and honest and manipulation free as the electric market was in California a couple of years ago. Pure supply and demand, no gaming the system, nope, not one bit of that.

Trust the oil companies, they only have the best interests of the nation and its people at heart.

JazzMan
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2006 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Coming through Ga today at exit 5 on I 75 $2.019/gal. We found lots of gas from $2.059-$2.199 throughout Ga. I get back into Florida and its $2.319 in Jacksonville (I 295) and $2.439 here in Palm Bay. Its coming down.
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2006 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

There's no market manipulation in gasoline, no, not at all. It's as open and honest and manipulation free as the electric market was in California a couple of years ago. Pure supply and demand, no gaming the system, nope, not one bit of that.

Trust the oil companies, they only have the best interests of the nation and its people at heart.

JazzMan

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. But it is simple supply and demand right now. Not the election crap that some people believe.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget this ancient post as a reference... and it looks like prices may fall further. Perhaps OPEC is worried that the high price of oil will bring competing countries into the market... for less. Take that, Chavez!

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 09-25-2006).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Even more info that suggests that it may drop, over the long term.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15081350/site/newsweek/

Damn. When the Republicans pull a scam, they go all out, eh?

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

Don't forget this ancient post as a reference... and it looks like prices may fall further. Perhaps OPEC is worried that the high price of oil will bring competing countries into the market... for less. Take that, Chavez!

Not only that, but they may be realizing that at a certain price point, other sources of oil and alternative energy become economically feasible. Shale oil, while not profitable at $20/bbl. could certainly be competitive at $75 - $100/bbl. If the oil prices go too high, there will be more options and people will use other sources.

OPEC only has it's hold as long as their oil is the cheapest available. They don't have all the oil, just the bulk of the cheap oil.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock