Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Would you be concerned after swallowing these?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Would you be concerned after swallowing these? by Patrick
Started on: 08-22-2006 06:32 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Patrick on 09-23-2006 06:06 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

So, who’s into Nematodes?

I’m back after being out in the wilds of British Columbia for the last two weeks. To my alarm, I discovered that these friggen things were in our water supply where we were. Drinking-water comes from a creek supplied by a natural spring/runoff. The creek was very low as it’s been hot and dry most of the summer. This is the first time in the 15 years I've been going up there that I noticed these things in the tap water.

(At the top of the picture is the end of a garden hose that had been left slowly running all night on a fine mesh.)

All four of us (two adults and two kids) had diarrhea for a few days while we were up the coast. We all feel fine now, but... I keep on thinking about the scene in ALIEN were the critter jumps out of the guy’s stomach.

Anyone familiar with these things? Should we get checked out now that we're back in civilization?

By the way, it wasn’t all bad up there...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edhering

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
Klingons say, "Gakh is best served live."

I say AAAAAAAAAAAAA NO NO BLECH YECH NO NO

Seriously, get checked by a doc. It will probably mean stool samples and such but do it. Intestinal parasites are nothing to mess with, and if these things are in the water, God alone knows what else is in there....

Ed
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
That's a lot of nematoads. Seriously, get yourself checked out before it's too late...
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Eewww. Disgusting.

I can't tell what kind of nematodes they are. Many (most?) kinds are harmless if swallowed. There are some nematodes that act as human parasites and cause infection. But I can't tell if those are one of those kinds.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

While I was up the coast, I took a large jar full of these things over to a fella who owns a fish farm and has lived in the area for 30 years. He believed they were harmless and that these particular nematodes lived in all the creeks and fed on vegetation. However, he also added he didn't know for sure!

If I suddenly disappear from this forum, you’ll know the eggs have hatched.

I’ve got a physical exam scheduled in a couple of weeks. Guess I’ll mention these critters to the doc...
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Have a look at the link below, you may want to be checked out as soon as possible. A quick quote:

"Many of the parasitic species cause important diseases of plants, animals, and humans."

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/biocontrol/pathogens/nematodes.html
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Ugh! Hope you go to the doc, and they don't find anything!
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
Dang, those things look like infant Goa'uld! Get help from the Tokra if necessary. Gate address follows:

Don't forget to mention any symptoms like a strong desire to enslave the universe or glowing eyes.

Seriously though, get checked out soon.

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 08-22-2006).]

Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
I wont get into the details of my parasite exploits from mountain fresh water but dude deffinatly get checked out.
isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:

I wont get into the details of my parasite exploits from mountain fresh water but dude deffinatly get checked out.

Thank you..

jk lol

I see that you have 2 options....

1. go see a doc..
2. get life insurance NOW and set me as benificiary, i will send flowers (j/k)

Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
Get the whole family to the doctor, immediately. Some nematodes can make you really sick!
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

My girlfriend who was with me up the coast is a doctor, and true to her training as a physician, she brought back a sample of these nematodes in a glass vial. Later this week she’ll be in touch with the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control, and we hope they’ll have the sample analyzed. I’ll let you all know what we find out.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
MMMM!! bamboo shoots, growing wild!!!
Patrick, hope things are going as well as possible with coping with your loss.
Are those your dogs? Better get them checked too. Retrieving sticks from the water means swimming with the mouth open, obvously. Shouldn't be too surprised if a few of those nasty things found their way into the dogs' tummies
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Growing old is harder than growing up.
Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 08-23-2006).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Nick, those dogs belonged to other people staying in the same area. I was just the guy throwing the stick.

Regarding my recent loss, It was good to get away and forget about the last month or so for a couple of weeks. However, I had one kinda sad experience while I was there. My mind was wandering one day as I spent hours power washing a large deck at my friend's house/cabin where I was staying. I was thinking of all the funny/interesting things I could say to my Mom when I got home regarding this latest trip up the coast. Then it hit me like a sharp slap in the face - I suddenly remembered my Mom was no longer alive. I felt rather melancholy for the rest of that day...
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, I still do it, even after more than two years....But at least I can smile about now
Good to hear from you.
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Growing old is harder than growing up.
Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Later this week we’ll be in touch with the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control, and we hope they’ll have the sample analyzed. I’ll let you all know what we find out.

Well, it's been a lot longer than a week, but better late than never...

We were shocked to discover that none of the medical labs would look at the Nematodes we had in the jar of water. They stated that their agenda is to only investigate organisms which originated from within someone. With that in mind, I then submitted a stool sample. Seems that they'd prefer to poke around in my sh!t rather than to look in a vial of creek water. Whatever turns them on...

Anyway, it turns out that nothing was found in my stool sample. No critters, no eggs. I guess these were just harmless nematodes and not the parasitic type. However, we'll either be taking up our drinking water next year, or we'll be taking some kind of a water filtration device with us. No point pushing our luck!

Sorry, no picture of the stool sample.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-22-2006).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2006 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Errm..always willing to oblige a friend Patrick

Nick
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Errm..always willing to oblige a friend Patrick

Nick

Thats funny. Thanks for making me chuckle durring what has been a rather crappy day.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:

...durring what has been a rather crappy day.

I had about five of those (literally) after I drank that water.

under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2006 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post

I had about five of those (literally) after I drank that water.

OH, MAN !!!!!

Didnt ya EVER hear the warning about dont drink the water?? Thats exactly why beer and tequila were invented.
Fiero2M6GT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2M6GT1Send a Private Message to Fiero2M6GT1Direct Link to This Post
Those things are dangerous. I was watching an episode of Sponge Bob, and Sponge Bob and Gary were sleeping in his pineapple when every thing started to shrink around him. When they woke up they thought they were giants until they relized the pineapple was shrinking. Long story short they had a group of nematodes eat his house with straws until it was gone. So please be careful
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Seems that they'd prefer to poke around in my sh!t rather than to look in a vial of creek water. Whatever turns them on...

Anyway, it turns out that nothing was found in my stool sample. No critters, no eggs. I guess these were just harmless nematodes and not the parasitic type.

Hmm. I'd get a second opinon. You never know what may happen in a few months?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Hmm. I'd get a second opinon. You never know what may happen in a few months?

I better start counting my teeth.

Originally posted by Fiero2M6GT1:

Those things are dangerous. I was watching an episode of Sponge Bob, and...

Is acid making a comeback?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock