Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Florida Confederate License Plate (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Florida Confederate License Plate by Formula88
Started on: 08-18-2006 09:19 PM
Replies: 54
Last post by: madcurl on 08-21-2006 08:06 PM
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Just to be fair shouldn't Florida have a "Son of a Blue Belly Plate"
IP: Logged
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i like this Florida plate

http://www.snopes.com/photos/risque/license.asp

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 08-19-2006).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Here's a list of currently available specialty plates in Florida, including how much money the state has made from their sale: http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/specialtytags/specialindex.cfm

You can already get this one.

cccharlie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:
Damn I missed that part.

Still if an opposing side was allowed to get plates would that be ok? If so would it still be ok for the cofederates to keep thiers? Or would you allow the opposition and only discriminate against the confederates? Or should the state allow no special plates?

Either a state should adopt a system such as MD wherein any group can get a plate.
Or
The state should accept the fact that any plate they mint is a representation of the state, not just the person whose car it adorns.

Under the current Florida system, the "confederates", as you call them, are looking for an endorsement from the legislature and the governor. If that endorsement is granted, FL could very well find themselves forced (on the grounds of free speech and equal treatment) to give plates to anyone who opposes the "confederates." Or opposes what they *think* the "confederates" stand for.

I oppose granting any special plates that could be political. I oppose granting license plates both to pro-life and pro-choice. I oppose granting these people their plates. I oppose granting plates to the NAACP. I oppose granting license plates to Democrats and Republicans and Green Party and Libertarians etc.

If you want to make a political statement, buy a bumper sticker.

These folks might make the arguement that their plate isn't political. But that argument is debatable at best.
cccharlie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2006 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Here's a list of currently available specialty plates in Florida, including how much money the state has made from their sale: http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/specialtytags/specialindex.cfm

A strong case could be made for eliminating that plate as well as the John Lennon "Imagine" plate.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2006 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cccharlie:
Either a state should adopt a system such as MD wherein any group can get a plate.
Or
The state should accept the fact that any plate they mint is a representation of the state, not just the person whose car it adorns.

Under the current Florida system, the "confederates", as you call them, are looking for an endorsement from the legislature and the governor. If that endorsement is granted, FL could very well find themselves forced (on the grounds of free speech and equal treatment) to give plates to anyone who opposes the "confederates." Or opposes what they *think* the "confederates" stand for.

I oppose granting any special plates that could be political. I oppose granting license plates both to pro-life and pro-choice. I oppose granting these people their plates. I oppose granting plates to the NAACP. I oppose granting license plates to Democrats and Republicans and Green Party and Libertarians etc.

If you want to make a political statement, buy a bumper sticker.

These folks might make the arguement that their plate isn't political. But that argument is debatable at best.

Cool, I understand where your comin' from now. I personaly hate all the extra tags. Besides the standard plates I think they should only make "historic" and "street rod".
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2006 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but in Florida the specialty plates are not approved if they connote a political statement, like "Proud Democrat" or "Bomb Cuba."
With one exception: The anti abortionists got the "Choose Life" plate, the pro choice backers are not represented.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 08-20-2006).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2006 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I *think* there was some big hoopla in the news about a Pro Choice plate being denied. But it might have been talk about a Pro Choice plate when the Choose Life plate came out.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2006 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

"Sons of Confederate Veterans wants to get a confederate flag plate added to the list of specialty plates in Florida."

Here's an example of the plate:

What do you think?

Hmm....I'd pass on both plates. I like to keep people guessing.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Let's really throw them off, Curly! I'll get the 'Live The Dream' and you get the 'Confederate Heritage'!

Personally, I think they are both pretty good plates. Society has put these two plates on opposite sides of some argument that I don't think really exists. I support both.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 08-21-2006).]

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:
Society has put these two plates on opposite sides of some argument that I don't think really exists. I support both.

Thats part of the problem. Its a matter of perception.

I'd say that each of those plates has different meanings to different people. Some believe MLK was a communist, for example. Some believe that all confederates were / are racists.

I just think the state should stay out of those sorts of debates. Its none of their business.

Debating who is worthy of appearing on a license plate and codifying it is a silly (at best) thing for a govt to be doing.

If you support MLK or the Sons of Confederate Veterans, there are plenty of ways to show it without dragging bureaucrats and politicians into it.

[This message has been edited by cccharlie (edited 08-21-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
cccharlie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post

cccharlie

2006 posts
Member since Jan 2003
BTW -

Rhode Island was a rebellious confederate state long before the South was.

Rhode Island (aka Rogue's Island) was the last state to ratify the Constitution. RI apparently preferred to continue under the Articles of Confederation, earning RI the scorn of the other 12 states.
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Here is a list of florida veterans from the civil War as well as the Indian wars.
Not complete but a good listing. It,s actually a turn of the century book, on line, as photographed pages.
Read a little of it. look at the remarks to the right in the list.
http://www.civilwarflorida.com/site/sources/sof/

Somebody wants a Tag fine. Screw perceptions, most are based on ignorance anyway.

Here is a surname index that has many names missing. but it,s OK.
http://www.civilwarflorida.com/site/soldiers/soldier_index.php

[This message has been edited by Wolfhound (edited 08-21-2006).]

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Society has put these two plates on opposite sides of some argument that I don't think really exists. I support both.

Ain't that the truth.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Let's really throw them off, Curly! I'll get the 'Live The Dream' and you get the 'Confederate Heritage'!

Hehe. Actually I prefer the little red tags that the DMV hands out when your waiting for new plates or expired. I hate going to different states with CA plates. People can very rude sometimes or worse----criminals will try and rip you off.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock