Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Geezus! What is it about dog rescues??? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Geezus! What is it about dog rescues??? by Taijiguy
Started on: 04-25-2006 02:36 PM
Replies: 59
Last post by: Fierochic88 on 04-26-2006 05:40 PM
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I swear, what do dog rescues think they are anyway??? My g/f and I are looking at getting a dog. We're mostly looking at border collies and Australian Sheperds. We met with someone from the BC rescue last week (who while still a bit over the top, seemed at least OK), but I've been exchanging emails with this assclown from the Aussie rescue. First, they want you to fill out an application that is absurd in it's detail. But then, they want to have a "home inspection" and "interview" process. OK, whatev. So I sent in the app, and never heard back from these people. So I send them an email asking abuot the app. Here's the response I get:

>> There was a response sent to that application, perhaps it was not received
>> for some reason. It explained that we do require a fence and since you
>> have plans to put one in, when you let us know that is done we can
>> consider your application.

So I send this back:

>No, I never did receive a response previously.
>With regard to the fence, we don't want to make that investment until we
>know that a suitable dog is available. We would like to start the process,
>and when a good match becomes available we would install the fence and
>provide reasonable evidence of that to you prior to the final adoption if
>that's acceptable. Please realize we are probably going to fence in around 2
>to 3 acres. A substantial investment without a guarantee that we'll even
>find a good match.. I realize this may deviate from your typical process,
>and hope you'll understand our situation and make an allowance for this
>situation. We intend to give our dog a wonderful, large area to roam and
>enjoy. However, if we aren't able to find the "right" dog, we will probably
>not do it at all, which would make the fence an enormous wasted expense. If
>you afford us the opportunity, I think you'll find that we will provide an
>excellent home for the "right" dog. This will be an invisible fence by the
>way.

Then the jerkoff sends this back:

You have already started the process by submitting an application and you are welcome to look at dogs as they appear on the website, but our policy is that a fence must be in place (and working) before we make a visit with a dog. Our assumption is that if someone has decided to add a dog they will find one suitable whether from us or elsewhere, so once that decision is made the investment would not be a loss. Thanks, Heartland

WTH? I mean, am I adopting a dog, or a child? And did he not read the part where I said if we don't find the "right" dog, we aren't going to pursue this? Is it just me, or is this guy coming across as some kind of self-important control freak? I'd really like to know, 'cause that's the way it seems to me. I made no edits or exclusions to the emails. The person who wrote these didn't even sign them or give a name. This doesn't really seem like a person who wants the dogs to be adopted.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I hate stuff like that.

Power trip?

I adopted a cat once, and it was a pin in the neck process. crazy amopunt of detail, and i had to agree to about 5 pages of stuff. House visits, etc... As you said, it was like I was adopting a KID.
turns out,

The cat was insane, and they knew it, tried to cover it up by sedating it before they gave it to me. Then, they tried to deny it.

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
If I could offer a comment. Rescue organizations are, as implied by their name, dealing with dogs that have come from harmful situations. They have a responsibility to ensure that the home they are placing the animal with will be a good home with responsible owners. Part of this is the requirement of a fence and this is pretty typical. I happen to agree with their comment that when people are serious about acquiring a dog they will build a fence and be patient in their pursuit of the "right dog". They are looking for a solid commitment and evidence that you will take the appropriate measures to care for the dog. I think that they probably view your reluctance to build the fence first as a lack of seriousness on your part and that you are only "thinking" about getting a dog. I could be wrong but that's my take on their response.

Nolan
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
You have to trust me on this. Alot of rescues overcharge, and have the same dogs/puppies that you would find in a pet store, usually from the same breeder. They go to the Huge dog auction that is held here each month and buy up alot of dogs for way over price, they do have some people that donate dogs to them, but for the most part its just a money making business.

You guys may be better off going to the local pound, and adopting there, or perhaps locate a breeder in your area, they typicaly charge half what you would pay in a pet shop.

I wish you could come down here and see how the "rescue" oganizations really are on the recieving end.

I'm not saying all are bad, but most are. I know I worked around them for years.

Alot of the rescues business comes from people who think that they are saving a dog from a bad situation, or people that think they are doing a good thing.

We have had several litters of puppies sold to rescues in the past. They pop out of the woodwork as soon as I post an ad that I have puppies for sale. We don't sell our puppies to breeders, and we make sure they will have a good family. What were thay rescuing them from??

Brad
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
That's not entirely untrue. We are "thinking" about getting a dog. But we're very serious about it. We're also very realistic, and know that the perfect dog may not be readily available. It will be a very expensive undertaking to fence the area we want to enclose. But we aren't going to just take "any" dog, and don't want to install an invisible fence that might be a year old before it ever gets used. Plus, we don't get to pick the dog, they suggest which dogs they have that they think are going to be a good match. So he's going to make us install a fence before they'll even talk to us? Who says they won't turn around and just tell us they don't have a good match? What would be so hard about them just going along with what I suggested? Does it make me less comitted, or just smart about spending my money?
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Taijiguy

12198 posts
Member since Jul 99

Originally posted by twofatguys:

<snip>

I'm pretty sure this place is on the level. They want like, $175 for the adoption. I don't see how anyone who is in it for the money would try to make it such a PITA. I am going to contact the local SPCA and shelters, and let them know we'er interested in an Aussie, and see if they'll contact us when/if one comes in.

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Personally, this is not my concern, and maybe technology has changed over the years, but... I had the impression that people in the pet business frown on invisible fences.
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Gee Taiji, I am not chasing you around but..........

Originally posted by Taijiguy:
I mean, am I adopting a dog, or a child?

....both.
My Doby recently died from cancer and I wanted another. It also seemed like I was the one to jump through hoops to get one. I did not jump through their hoops yet got lucky and found a good one. Those with the hoops have been a valuable service to me since I have goten my new Doby. They actually do care. Also, he/they are right. You are gonna get a dog. Start with an adequate size fence for the breed. You can add a gate later without an outer fence.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35947 posts
Member since Jun 2003

We're also very realistic, and know that the perfect dog may not be readily available.

The perfect dog is raised from a pup. My two cents.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
There are SO many unwanted animals that get put down every day. Any person that is willing to adopt any animal should not have to go through the equivalent of adopting a human being. We got our dog from the local Humane Society. $100 to adopt, and $60 of that is a voucher for spaying / neutering at a Vet of your choosing. You don't have to get them spayed / neutered, but either way you gotta pay the $60. No other requirements. They desperately want to get as many animals adopted as possible, since the majority of them are put down.

I was able to visit as much as I wanted and check out our dogs behavior both inside and outside before adopting.

I was more interested in getting a well behaved dog then a particular breed.

------------------
Tim
Red 88 Formula Auto 2.8 100K+ Miles

The problem with political jokes is...they get elected!

FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

FrugalFiero

3501 posts
Member since Nov 2003

Originally posted by cliffw:

The perfect dog is raised from a pup. My two cents.

IMHO absolutely NOT true.
PFF
System Bot
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
This thread really hits home. My family is very close (not just immediate, aunts/uncles/cousins etc) and we are all dog lovers. I worked at an animal hospital throughout High School and have owned dogs my entire life. The Vet I used to work for told me about another Vet who a rescue place wouldn't let him adopt because he told them when he was at work the dog would be in the house all day. I guess they wanted someone there to take care of the dog 24/7.

Anyway, our family has lost 3 dogs in as many months. As heartbreaking as this is we find its best to give another needy dog a home to help deal with the grief. My one relative went to a rescue place where they did the whole nine yards - house inspection, reference calls, you name it, they did it. I was surprised they didn't do a polygraph examination. It was nuts. The best place we have found is the local SPCA, even though the dogs often times get very sick while they are there. My cousin adopted a dog from the SPCA and she had tonsilitis. After 7 days in our vet hospital and $500 she is as good as new. But getting her from the SPCA was 100 times easier and less expensive.

It really is a shame that the rescue places are full of these whacko people. I understand you don't want to simply give someone a dog and not check into anything, but they take it too far and it discourages a lot of people from even going that route.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:
IMHO absolutely NOT true.

Appreciate your opinion. I might get into trouble for this and it will prove your point......, but, what about the perfect wife ?
EDIT

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 04-25-2006).]

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

... the perfect wife

Contradiction in terms?
They are perfect until they get that ring. But then husbands are no better I guess.

Okay, sorry for the hijack.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

Appreciate your opinion. I might get into trouble for this and it will prove your point......, but, what about the perfect wife ?
EDIT

Perfect wife?

http://www.robinsweb.com/humor/good_wife.html
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:
Perfect wife?
http://www.robinsweb.com/humor/good_wife.html

Umm...yes...not the good wife, the the perfect wife

aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
I just had my shepard/husky mix run away/stolen 3 weeks ago and my whippet mix died in his sleep 4 days ago. I poured through the humane societies and the dog rescues. I really disliked the shelters that wanted to do a home inspection and the ones with waaaaay to many rules and conditions to adopted. (Yes, I'm sure this is to deter the morons in this world from adopting that cute dog without realizing the responsibilities.) I've had a dog for all my life. I know how to care for and train them. I really hated most shelter's adoption fees.........$200-$400.

We adopted an adult dalmation 2 hours ago from the pound for $65. I couldn't be happier with our choice, the process and the cost.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

I just had my shepard/husky mix run away/stolen 3 weeks ago and my whippet mix died in his sleep 4 days ago. I poured through the humane societies and the dog rescues. I really disliked the shelters that wanted to do a home inspection and the ones with waaaaay to many rules and conditions to adopted. (Yes, I'm sure this is to deter the morons in this world from adopting that cute dog without realizing the responsibilities.) I've had a dog for all my life. I know how to care for and train them. I really hated most shelter's adoption fees.........$200-$400.

We adopted an adult dalmation 2 hours ago from the pound for $65. I couldn't be happier with our choice, the process and the cost.

Bingo!

Any responsible outlet is going to require a fence.
I don't know about all the other rules, but when adoptions were run from the local humane society, the people were pretty carefully screened.

Invisible fences are not likely going to be considered suitable. They don't protect the dog from other animals, and a really determined dog (like one who is pursuing a dog in heat) will learn to "tough it out", ignore the shock, and keep walking. Happened to friends of ours.

Taji, if you're really serious about finding a dog (I don't doubt that at all), go ahead and get a real fence installed.
Also, we've tried to deal with rescue groups before. Some of them are legit. Some of them are completely whacked.
You'll do just as well by finding a breeder.

Tam may want to add to this thread when she gets home. She is very active with our local humane society.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
We *are* responsible, and moreover, caring people (my g/f and I) I would much rather take in a dog that needs a good home than to subsidize some puppy mill. But I swear this place is driving me in that direction. I don't really want a border collie as much as an aussie because as active as either breed is, aussie's are just a touch more relaxed. And I really want a relaxed dog, but I also want one that's smart. We like to hike and backpack, and want the dog to be energetic enough to go with us on those trips, and strong enough to carry his own pack. I'm just positively not going to kiss this guys rear end, or have him lay conditions on me. We absolutely plan to install a fence, once we have found the right dog, and not a minute before. It just doesn't make sense.
And I know there are people who feel that their dogs can be like their kids. I dated a woman who was like that, although, to be honest, she drove me nuts with her obsession about that dang dog. (the biggest, stupidest great dane you ever met. Dumb as a bag of hammers.) I think there are dog lovers, and dog owners. I'm a dog owner. That's not to say there's no attachment, anyone who remembers my post about "Al the cat died last night" will know that I can be very sensitive when it comes to animals.
Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. At least I'm feeling better that it's not just me who thinks the guy is being a dick.
And just for the record, I will not be getting my dog from this place, but I'll also not be supporting any puppymills. I'm contacting some rescues out of state as well as the area SPCA's to express my interest, and to have them keep us informed if an aussie should come into their facilities. And really, if anyone out in Fieroland knows of an Aussie within a reaasonable distance of Columbus/Delaware I'd be interested in knowing about it.
Edit:
BTW, we don't really want a puppy, we want a dog. That's another reason we're looking in rescues and shelters. We prefer a dog maybe 2 years old with at least fundamental trainign, housebroken, etc. We intend to do the obedience training thing regardless of how old the dog is.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 04-25-2006).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I didn't mean to imply that you aren't responsible. Hope it wasn't taken that way.

Please don't confuse breeders with puppy mills. Many breeders are quite reputable. If they are willing to let you come and visit and check out their surroundings, they are likely okay. (Again, Tam may want to comment on this later.)

We will probably buy a Border Collie in the next year or two. Tam is already talking with a breeder who is planning their next litter in that time frame. My wife likes to run agility courses with our dog, but she really wants a B.C. They're fast as hell.

They also bark their asses off.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-25-2006).]

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Thing about breeders, many of those are purebreds, and priced like they crap gold nuggets. I want a dog, but I don't want to have to mortgage the house to get it!

(and no, I didn't think you were suggesting we aren't responsible or caring)
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
First having been involved in Pyrenees rescue with my wife for years.

Having a contract that states when you buy a Pyrenees from us, (not a rescue but one of our Puppies) If for any reason you can not keep the dog it must be returned to us.

That’s a sign of a responsible breeder. A breeder that is with you and the dog until the day the dog goes to the rainbow bridge.

Rescue organizations are there for the animal not you. They don’t care if you say you are going to put a fence up, lots of people say they are going to do things and never do them. They know that from experience and years of hearing it from people who say they are going to do something and never do it.

Just think about this.

Most rescue dogs are in rescue because they were, Abused, Mistreated, Neglected, Won’t stay fenced, they are escape artists, Won’t house break, Dog was jealous of the new baby, Ate the remote control, chews furniture, didn’t match the wife's new furniture.

I can go on, it is amazing the reasons people put dogs in rescue.

Good intentions are nice but you won’t Find the perfect dog in rescue.

And the story about you want a dog that will hike and backpack with you so you want a certain breed is crap.

Any breed will do those things, just to be with you and make you happy.

My wife Melanie when we first met had a Coker Spaniel, Kizzy. I wanted to climb Mt. Manadnoc in VT. Melanie really didn’t want to so she brought Kizzy along with us thinking the dog would wimp out half way up. The dog never skipped a beet she hit the top before either of us. They will do and like what ever you like.

My Pyrenees Granny has climbed Mt. Blue here in Maine several times with me, she loves being with me and doing anything I want to do. She is a Great Pyrenees and they will sit on the couch with you all day long if you want and then hike 10 miles if you want.

We also have an Australian Shepard, the thing drives us nuts. They are wound for sound, bounce off the walls.

You need to think about your choice of dogs, go to a local breeder, not a pet shop. Pet shops pay $50 each for their puppies from puppy mills, Breeders generally care about their dogs and will prove that by asking you questions. About you, your home, your life stile, your yard is it fenced.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
You really should read my posts before you start giving me crap about anything.

I seriously doubt you will find a cocker wearing a pack carrying its own food and water, not for 7-10 miles a day for three days or more anyway. Sure, most dogs can make the hike just fine, especially smaller breeds with lots of energy, but muling 30% of their body weight is a whole 'nother story. Not that I need to justify why I want a particular breed to you or anyone, but I stated one of my reasons. Don't tell me it's "crap".
As for the fence, again, if you had READ MY POST you would have seen in the email where I told the guy that we would provide evidence that the fence had been installed prior to finalizing the adoption. Thereby alleviating the broken promise concern.

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
We just went thru all this as well. Some of the rescue places are insane with all the details they want.
I do understand they want the animals to go to a good home, But geez, we had a place turn us down because we had a child under 5 years old. They didn't care that we had a dog previously, They just flat turned us down.

I suggest you go look for another rescue place. We went to about 3 before we found one that was actually nice. We've had our new pet for about a month now and everything is fine.

The "Breed Rescue" places are not to bad, But sometimes you need to look outside your local area.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
You really haven’t got a clue about anything.

The post about the Cocker was an example of how any breed will do what you want. I did Not suggest that you buy one.

The fencing is mandatory for just about all rescue organization.

You don’t like me, fine I gave you good advise and reasons not to get a rescue.

All rescues care about is the dog not you.

The more I talk to you the more I like my dogs.

You don’t listen to anyone unless they agree with your ideas, fine. All my advice and words were given in hopes of you understanding rescue. I’m done giving you advice.

I have owned more dogs than you will ever and they are all different and have different personalities just like people.

We being responsible breeders have told people like you we would not sell them a puppy. That is our right as responsible breeders.

If you treat your dog like you treat your employees or us you will have to watch your back.

------------------

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:
I just had my shepard/husky mix run away/stolen 3 weeks ago and my whippet mix died in his sleep 4 days ago.

Hope this helps.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called The Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to The Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross The Rainbow Bridge together....

-Unknown
[/QUOTE]

under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2006 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post
THAT is exactly why I get my dogs (and cats) from private parties out of the newspaper classifieds........and the very 1st thing I do is train them to attack anal-retentives who think they are going to walk into my home and do an "inspection"

(BTW--Black lab/Border Collie/Sheppard cross is the smartest dog i've ever had. One of them would be MORE than capable of being trained for whatever you wanted)
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by under8ted:
THAT is exactly why I get my dogs (and cats) from private parties out of the newspaper classifieds........and the very 1st thing I do is train them to attack anal-retentives who think they are going to walk into my home and do an "inspection"

Gee, a little harsh. Also, I did get my new Dobe from a private individual and out of the paper. As I was reading the paper while waiting out of town for my truck to be worked on. Not exactly where I would commit to get my dogs though.

Those with the hoops have been a valuable service to me since I have goten my new Dobe. They actually do care.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2006 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I suggest you buy a fricking mule.I've never heard so much self-righteous rubbish in all my life. Dogs carrying its own food and water? If you want a dog, and get asked to put up a fence first, what is your problem? Who said ANYTHING about having to put up a fence around two acres of land? You could fence in 50 square yards, and it would be more than enough? I love my dogs enough that I would carry his food and water, and mine, if need be.If it needs more than the 50 square yards, get out and walk it.YOU will appreciate the exercise, as much as the dog.Perhaps you should also consider how much it costs when they get sick.Would $1500 sound too much for you? That is how much we have paid just to give our dog a chance at living a while longer.THe love he gives us is priceless.Of course, he doesn't understand the cost, and love us for that reason.He loves us BECAUSE.....just because.
He was abandoned by some heartless bastige when he was a few weeks old, and he survived the intense heat of August, fleas biting him, losing his fur, and being covered in bites and stings. He survived by eating grasshoppers, and mice and God knows what else.And the illness he has WILL return, one day.And we will go through it all again, until we have exhausted ALL our meagre funds, and then some, just because he deserves a chance.And we are lucky enough to have been chosen to give him that chance.I see so many dogs dying on roadsides, because somebody didn't care enough for their animal to keep it safe.I see people leaving their dogs out all year round, tied up in a yard.Being bitten by mosquitoes and sandflies, which give them fatal deseases, making their lives a misery, and enabling those fatal deseases to be passed on to other peoples' animals and pets. People who care enough, and love enough, to give their animals a good home, and then can lose them through somebody elses' selfishness in keeping their dog exposed to those risks.
I am sure Steve said all he did from love for his, and all dogs, and not because he was being arrogant or anything else.Equally as much as why I have written these comments.People should realise that it is just as important to check out those wishing to adopt a dog, as it is for those wishing to adopt a child. A dog is a dog for life. A child grows up, and can speak for itself after a while, if mistreated. A dog just has to suffer in silence.And thousands upon thousands do.Because it is too easy to get a dog, and then even easier to dump it.And people will speak out if a child is mistreated.Those same people more often than not, would shrug their shoulders, and turn a blind eye to mistreatment of an animal. If all those enquiries and stipulations protect just ONE animal from THIS sort of treatment, it would be worth it:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16988759%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=5%2dturkey%2dtorturers%2dface%2drap%2d-name_page.html
Yes, Taiji, this was a rant...and not directed specifically at you.I am not accusing you of being like these sickos, but your fury at being asked some difficult questions, and your subsequent replies to some of the comments above from other people, defending these requirements being asked, hits a nerve.Tree-hugger, dog lover, animal protector..I have been called them all, and will be again. I carry no shame for my beliefs. And your comments in another thread, about dogs barking in the countryside, didn't help me keep the accelerator off the floor, in making my comments.You chose to speak your mind, and I did too.
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2006 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I do tend to get a "tad" crusty about some of the rescue (and other busy-body) types. I've never been able to grasp "policies, procedures, rules and regulations" simply for the sake of having them which is what a lot of these rescue types are about.

They dont care about the animals--they want the power to say frog and have somebody jump. The animals are just thier means of ataining that power.

I kinda figgure a nice calm dozen or so raps upside the head would settle them down some, but sadly thats not legal. :P
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

<snip>

Hmm. I'm not quite sure why all that was directed at me. I don't know if you took my dog lover/dog owner comment personally or what exactly. I get the feeling that you're making a lot of assumptions. Such as hiking, I want a dog that's capable of carrying its own food and water. Many breeds are perfectly capable of that, and gain the same physical conditioning benefits as us, so why is that so bad? As for fencing off a couple of acres, again, why is that so bad? I don't want to fence off 50 yards. We have six wonderful acres of grass, meadows, and woods. Why am I to be critisized for wanting our dog to have plenty of room to roam and enjoy, And why would you automatically assume that just because we're providing him with that much space that it would preclude our taking the dog for a walk. I would think the very fact that we want the dog to hike with us would in and of itself negate that assumption. We walk a great deal, and take many day hikes to keep in condition for our extended hikes. There should be no question that the dog would accompany us.
I know you're passionate about your dogs, and are currently sacrificing a great deal to maintain your current dog in his poor health, and that's admirable. It's also why I'm trying not to take your comments personally. But I do think you're launching an attack that's unjustified. Our reasons for going to a rescue are numerous. Among the reasons listed above include that we want to give a good home to an animal that really needs one. So again, how am I the bad guy here?
My issue isn't with putting up the fence, we intend to do that if we find the "right" dog". My issue is with the self righteous control-freak attitude of the guy at the shelter. You're attacking me, yet I'm trying to help an animal in need, this person at the shelter is making it difficult by setting the condition that we make a substantial investment that we aren't preapred to make unless we know for a fact that we are getting a dog. Again, why is that so bad?
Take a breath buddy.

Having a dog carry a load is certainly not a new concept:

It's quite common actually.

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by under8ted:
I've never been able to grasp "policies, procedures, rules and regulations" simply for the sake of having them .....

I found my twin brother.
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
blah blah blah yakkety yak

This coming from the guy who was crying and shaking in the corner over giving his dog some shot under his skin? This current dog conversation is for the big boys my friend, might want to sit this one out....
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black88GT:
This current dog conversation is for the big boys my friend, might want to sit this one out....

And your contribution would be.........? ? ?
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

I'm pretty sure this place is on the level. They want like, $175 for the adoption. I don't see how anyone who is in it for the money would try to make it such a PITA. I am going to contact the local SPCA and shelters, and let them know we'er interested in an Aussie, and see if they'll contact us when/if one comes in.

Well I suppose if the food is good, the shelter adequate and heated and the wireless connection in the kennel is fast I might be interested
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post

And your contribution would be.........? ? ?

And yours would be what? The stupid rainbrow bridge poem reposted for the 8 gillionth time.... whoopty friggin do...

or how about this gem...

"The perfect dog is raised from a pup. My two cents."

So all of those old dogs - don't even bother. Two cents is about all your B.S. is worth....
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
First of all Nick take a deep breath relax, sit this one out. Your blood pressure is going up and I can hear it boiling.

Nothing anyone says to Taijiguy is going to make him understand that a dog also has rights.

First of all his choice of a breed without ever meeting the breed is a mistake.

A underground fence is a mistake as others have already pointed out.

I already pointed out the reason for the questions they ask at rescue and the shelters. It’s for the animal. Go to any rescue site and you will find the same questions.

A dog is a substantial investment but not just in money. It’s also an investment in time, love, understanding.

Those that do that and buy a dog, be it from rescue, the pound, or a breeder should understand that. They should also understand that if the person that is selling you the dog has any compation at all for the animal they will ask questions and disserve answers.

Not to be repeating myself but I wouldn’t sell you a dog if you offered me 3 or 4 times what we sell them for.

You are the type of person who feels a dog is a peace of property, not a friend for life.

The policies, procedures, rules and regulations are there to protect the dogs from being adopted by some one like Taijiguy from putting a dog in a place where it doesn’t belong.

First of all, the breed he has chosen Barks and runs constantly. It is a herding dog, not a house dog, it needs a purpose in life, a job just like my Pyrenees.

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

And yours would be what? The stupid rainbrow bridge poem reposted for the 8 gillionth time.... whoopty friggin do...

or how about this gem...

So all of those old dogs - don't even bother. Two cents is about all your B.S. is worth....

You are a perfect example of some one who doesn’t care.

Someone gives you some sympathy and you slap them in the face.

No ones opinion is worth anything here except yours.

From what you said you are another example of why rescues ask the questions they ask. Just wonder how did you loose your dogs?
Did they run off? Get hit by a car because you refuse to fence your yard? Or was it lack of care?

------------------

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

or how about this gem...

As I thought.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

<snip>

Y'know dude. You're a dick. You have the brain functions of an artichoke. You don't know me from Adam, and for you to sit in judgement of me based on a few lines of text you don't even bother to read makes you an even bigger dick. Go hump somebody elses leg muttface.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock