Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Still think there is an oil shortage (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Still think there is an oil shortage by 84fiero123
Started on: 04-18-2006 06:39 AM
Replies: 51
Last post by: fierobear on 04-22-2006 12:07 AM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by edhering:

Formula, in your own post you contradict that statement with: "Did it ever occur to these people that maybe we've been cutting our driving down--but day in and day out you still have to go to work, so other than vacation road trips there's not a lot of fluff in the average family's gas budget to cut out. And yes, tourism has noticed a decline in business as people are taking fewer road trips and staying home more. [emphasis mine]

That IS supply and demand functioning the way it always does. Discretionary travel is what takes the hit. As you note, non-discretionary travel cannot be cut.

"I used to cruise around a lot and listen to music in my Fiero. It was one of my favorite pasttimes. When gas hit $2, I stopped doing that. Even so, it's not like I did it every day. We're still only talking about a 5 or maybe 10 gallon per week difference."

That's 5 or 10 gallons times one person. Multiply it by every car guy (gal) in the US and how many gallons does it come to? And the Fiero's reasonably fuel-efficient; what about the guys with the big-block motors in their cars, who get 5 MPG with a tailwind?

Ed

My point is that discretionary driving is such a small percentage of the typical person's driving that it won't impact gasoline demand to any significant amount - certainly not enough to cause prices to decline. We, as a nation, consume such a large quantity of motor fuel just doing required driving, shipping, etc., that even cutting out all discretionary driving won't drop the price. Saving millions of gallons of fuel a year will have miniscule effect when we consume millions of gallons of fuel per day.

This past year has already proven that. There were many news stories about decreased tourism as gas prices spiked. And the prices have stayed high regardless.

For supply and demand to work in a free market environment, a customer has to have the ability to do without a product, or to use a substitute product. There is no option for motor fuel that does that.

IP: Logged
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

My point is that discretionary driving is such a small percentage of the typical person's driving that it won't impact gasoline demand to any significant amount - certainly not enough to cause prices to decline. We, as a nation, consume such a large quantity of motor fuel just doing required driving, shipping, etc., that even cutting out all discretionary driving won't drop the price. Saving millions of gallons of fuel a year will have miniscule effect when we consume millions of gallons of fuel per day.

This past year has already proven that. There were many news stories about decreased tourism as gas prices spiked. And the prices have stayed high regardless.

For supply and demand to work in a free market environment, a customer has to have the ability to do without a product, or to use a substitute product. There is no option for motor fuel that does that.

You are exactly right. I know some people made reference that it is the free market that determines the oil prices, in a round about way, yes, but not completely, just as you say, there is no real alternative when it comes to fuel.

Heating homes and energy is different and does have alternatives. If you use heating oil, you can go to natural gas, propane, electric, and so on. In automobiles, it's just gasoline.

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
If you can't afford heating oil, can you afford to switch to another fuel source who's cost is also skyrocketing?
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
All energy prices have increased. Natural Gas had som eo fth elargest spikes. Even electricity is 50% higher in CT than it was 2 years ago.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking my next big step on my new property will be installing solar power, and possibly a windmill. Some preliminary numbers indicate that the system might pay for itself. I'm not sure if it will generate all the power I need, but I'm sure it will help.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by connecticutFIERO:

All energy prices have increased. Natural Gas had som eo fth elargest spikes. Even electricity is 50% higher in CT than it was 2 years ago.

Natural gas prices spiked, but went back down quite a bit. Gas never did. Not sure about electricity, etc.
I know in NC, our local natural gas company did three rate reductions in 3 consecutive months as the prices went down. They're still higher, but not to the extent of gasoline and heating oil.

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2006 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Now thats the best Idea I think you have ever come up with.

Originally posted by fierobear:

I'm thinking my next big step on my new property will be installing solar power, and possibly a windmill. Some preliminary numbers indicate that the system might pay for itself. I'm not sure if it will generate all the power I need, but I'm sure it will help.

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I was talking to Loyde earlier about converting the fiero to E85. I think im going to do it for a couple of reasons. First off, to see how it does on my turbocharged engine. Next, because E85 is way cheaper than 103 unlead. I was paying $7.40 a gallon for it. And, i think I will be able to make more power with it.

I have found two ways to save money on gas though, #1, dont drive as much. When you need to go a few places, plan them all on 1 outing. Instead of going from home to the store, and home and then to the mall, then to dinner, etc. Go to the mall, to dinner, then hit the store on the way back to the house. The 2nd way to save money on gas, get a hose and steal it from your neighbor.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

If you can't afford heating oil, can you afford to switch to another fuel source who's cost is also skyrocketing?

Yes. I know a number of people who switched from using their oil furnace to kerosene space heaters. Yes, the kerosene is more expensive too, but you use less of it because you're only heating the room you're in, not the whole house. Other people have switched to burning wood for heat.

It may not be an easy switch but it can be done.

For anyone who thinks the gas prices are up because of supply and demand need to look up oligopoly.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Some good discussion going on here.

Current prices and worries about future ones had me concerned enough to look into electric and even steam power for my car in place of an engine upgrade. After doing a lot of research, basically it costs more to do a conversion than you save from not buying gas. And no matter what the conversion is, you still need fuel from somewhere.
jconnor34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jconnor34Send a Private Message to jconnor34Direct Link to This Post
Oil shortages? BS!!! The USA has access to more than enough oil deposits were it not for the environmentalist wacko weed nazis who obstruct drilling in AK and the Gulf while in the meantime Cuba will drill off the Gulf Coast, Mexico will drill in their backyard and who knows, perhaps the Russians will decide to drill off the Alaskan coast. As for refineries, maybe GM and Ford should get into the refinery business to supplement their fractured bottom lines? We've got the oil, we've got the potential of mega capacity if only someone had the b@lls to face up to the pinheads that fret over every leaf and tadpole. Who in the hell's in charge around here, anyway? I'm not going to turn my Fiero into an electric pull toy.
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jconnor34:
environmentalist wacko weed nazis

Weed nazis! LOL!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay