Which CD Reciever Should I Buy? by blackviper8891
Started on: 02-02-2005 01:13 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: ShaddowGt on 02-03-2005 01:48 AM
blackviper8891

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackviper8891Click Here to visit blackviper8891's HomePageSend a Private Message to blackviper8891Direct Link to This Post
I am going to buy a new CD reciever for my Grand Am within the next few days and I was just curious as to what some of your opinions are. I basically have in mind which one I may decide to buy, but I won't tell you and I'll see if it is popular in this poll. Pics and descriptions are below. Anyways... Please Vote!

Alpine CDA-9851 --$279.99

» CD receiver with built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
» detachable, fold-down face (with silver and blue cosmetics and variable button color)
» plays audio CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs including discs burned with MP3 and WMA files
» Bass Engine (bass center frequency, width, and level, plus treble center frequency and level adjustments)
» MediaXpander (restores clarity and detail to compressed or broadcast audio)
» MaxTune SQ tuner
» 12 FM/6 AM presets
» source tone memory
» iPersonalize setup options
» XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio controls
» CD changer controls for Alpine Ai-NET changers only
» front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs
» clock
» wireless remote
» CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
» CD frequency response 5-20,000 Hz
» CD signal-to-noise ratio 105 dB
» FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf
» warranty: 1 year
--------------------
Clarion ProAudio DXZ845MC --$279.99

» motorized, detachable, aluminum faceplate
» variable color LCD display (choose from 80 colors)
» Music Catcher — rips songs from CDs and stores them in 128MB of internal memory
» plays MP3 and WMA files
» Magi-Tune+ tuner
» 18 FM/6 AM presets
» seek tuning
» Instant Station Recall — jump from any source to your favorite radio station
» Anti Distortion Filter (ADF) — enhances the dynamics of compressed music
» 2-band parametric equalizer
» Magna Bass EX — boosts bass up to 10 dB
» SIRIUS satellite radio controls (SIRIUS radio subscription, tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) — service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
» TV tuner/DVD/CD changer controls
» rear auxiliary input
» disc and station titling
» front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
» low-pass filter on the subwoofer outputs
» wireless remote
» clock
» 18 watts RMS/53 peak x 4 channels
» CD signal-to-noise ratio 100 dB
» FM sensitivity 9 dBf
» warranty: 2 years
--------------------
JVC Arsenal KD-AR5000 --$279.99

» motorized, detachable, fold-down face
» touch screen controls with voice support
» variable color 3D graphics display (with 1,728 possible colors)
» Personalized Image Capture Technology (PICT) — allows you to download your own images into the display (software included, minimum system requirements: Windows 98 and 64 MB RAM)
» DiAS digital AM/FM tuner
» 18 FM/6 AM presets
» plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files)
» direct track access (tracks 1-12)
» 7-band iEQ (with 9 preset and 3 user-adjustable EQ curves)
» advanced multi-bit DAC
» CD/MP3 changer controls
» MOSFET internal amp
» 5-volt, gold-plated front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
» level control and low-pass filter on subwoofer preamp outputs
» gold-plated rear auxiliary input
» wireless remote
» clock
» 19 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels
» CD signal-to-noise ratio 102 dB
» FM sensitivity 11.3 dBf
» warranty: 2 years
--------------------
Kenwood EZ-500 --$249.99

» fold-down, detachable face
» white, dot-matrix display
» plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3 and WMA files on disc
» CR-2 tuner
» 18 FM/6 AM presets
» HD Radio-ready (requires Kenwood HD Radio tuner)
» System Q Sound Control
» 6 preset EQ curves ("Rock," "Top 40," "Jazz," "Easy," "Pops," and "Flat")
» bass, treble, and midrange controls
» Speaker Setting function adjusts output with three settings (factory speakers, larger aftermarket speakers, smaller aftermarket speakers)
» source tone memory
» satellite radio controls (SIRIUS or XM subscription, tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) — service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
» CD changer controls
» rear auxiliary input
» 2 sets of preamp outputs
» high-pass and low-pass crossovers
» wireless remote
» clock
» 22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels
» CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
» CD signal-to-noise ratio 105 dB
» FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf
--------------------
Pioneer DEH-P7700MP --$259.99

» CD receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
» detachable, fold-down face with Organic EL display and soft-key variable controls
» Easy EQ — five preset EQ curves with 3-band tone adjustment
» plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files (except tracks purchased at the iTunes music store)
» Supertuner IIID+
» 18 FM/6 AM presets
» Sound Focus EQ
» satellite radio controls (XM or SIRIUS subscription, tuner, antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) — service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
» CD changer controls
» MOSFET50 internal amp
» front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
» low-pass and high-pass filters
» wireless remote
» clock
» CD signal-to-noise ratio 94 dB
» FM sensitivity 8 dBf
--------------------
Sony CDX-F7005X --$259.99

» fold-down, detachable face
» full-motion fluorescent display
» spectrum analyzer
» blue button lighting
» plays CD-Rs and CD-RWs
» SSIR-EXA tuner
» 18 FM/12 AM presets
» seek tuning
» Dynamic Soundstage Organizer
» EQ7 (7-band equalizer and 7 preset tone curves)
» XM Satellite Radio controls (XM subscription, optional XM tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) — service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
» CD changer controls
» Aux Lite auxiliary input (cannot be used if a CD changer or XM tuner is connected)
» front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs
» high-pass and low-pass filter
» clock
» wireless remote
» 23.2 watts RMS/52 peak x 4 channels
» CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
» CD signal-to-noise ratio 120 dB
» FM sensitivity 9 dBf

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Those are very nice units. I just bought a new head unit to replace my Denon which is 12+ years old and the technology has advanced so far since then. I researched the 'Net on alot of units, read many reviews and comparisons. I bought an Eclipse, but Clarion would have been my second choice because they were also rated very highly.

The Eclipse CD8454 is what I bought. It's pretty awesome in it's capabilities and has won the 2004 "Product of the Year".

Too many specs to mention, but plays all music formats, can use Memory Sticks, has built-in electronic parametric equalization, 6-channel outputs (front/rear/sub-woofer), and is almost "self-programming". I can go from the deck (6 outputs) straight to the Mcintosh amp (6 inputs) and also eliminate the Audio Control 4-channel EQQ equalizer. Unfortunaltely, it will be mid-March before I get around to installing it

Details here. Click model CD8454 on sidebar menu http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_cd.html

------------------
Fiero Fiesta - July 24, 2005 - Calgary, Alberta <--- click this LINK

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Just dont be fooled by fancy displays in the store. I spent a weekend putting in and taking units out till I found one that you can actually see outdoors in the daylight. The Panasonic I finally got shows up great in direct sun with the top down even.
KingOfKings

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KingOfKingsClick Here to visit KingOfKings's HomePageSend a Private Message to KingOfKingsDirect Link to This Post
I'd say you can't do much better then Alpine, good quality products that last. Alot of nice looking decks you posted though
Morkidan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MorkidanSend a Private Message to MorkidanDirect Link to This Post
pioneer
DesignFlaw06

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DesignFlaw06Send a Private Message to DesignFlaw06Direct Link to This Post
I'll never buy anything but Alpine as far as head units. Had a bad experience with a JVC reciever, and my old Kenwood reciever came no where close to my Alpine.

But my advice would be to take your own MP3 CD and bring it to Circuit City. If they are serious about selling them, the employees there should give you no problems. Otherwise, find another store. But that way, you can play with the features and experiment a little bit. Might help in your decision. Good luck,

Tim

FieroGT87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Alpine is a very nice unit. Very clear, and I like the way I can tilt the display.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
My vote would be the Alpine. If you have the extra $$, or don't mind buying one off ebay; I'd step up to the CDA-9853. The built in V-Drive amplifier on those units are pretty impresive.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Why not get one of these with the optional GPS? http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productId=2598
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79834&item=5747231315&rd=1

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-02-2005).]

blackviper8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackviper8891Click Here to visit blackviper8891's HomePageSend a Private Message to blackviper8891Direct Link to This Post
Well... I will be ordering today. The Alpine, Kenwood, and JVC are at the bottom of my list and will not be considered as of now. The Clarion is very close to being ordered, but the Sony and Pioneer are still being considered. So... which of these three: Sony, Clarion, and Pioneer, should I buy?
Dgzfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DgzfieroSend a Private Message to DgzfieroDirect Link to This Post
I got a Sony in one of my cars, I like it because you can make a track list when you burn a cd and it'll display what song is playing. I got a Kenwood in my other fiero and if I want it to list the songs on the cd I have to put them in manually.
PFF
System Bot
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post02-02-2005 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
I've had bad luck with Sony. They have neat features, but the quility has been lacking for me. I love Pioneer, because you get a lot for your money. I don't need the fancy organic display and MP3 capability, as I only listen to XM. So in an entry level unit I was able to get all of the built in EQ and crossover functions for less then $200.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
best buys house brand
45w per chanel [4] and pre outs too
plays mp3s and homemaded Cds
costs $ 70 on sale

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Between the last three, I'd be a tough choice between the Pioneer and Clarion. I've owned a few Pioneer's in the past, and I loved all the features they come packed with. A buddy of mine had a Clarion around the same time, and his Clarion sounded cleaner then my Pioneers. The Clarion also seemed to have as many features, and could be pushed to it's "limit" before the head unit started to distort.

I'd say, go to the store, and play with both. You can only get so much from looking at pictures, and reading up on the products. Get some "hands on" experiance with each one. Go through the menus, play with the buttons, and bring some cd's so you can hear how each one sounds.

I'll be honest. After getting an Alpine, I'll never go to any other brand again. Have fun with your purchase, and show us pics of your install.

blackviper8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackviper8891Click Here to visit blackviper8891's HomePageSend a Private Message to blackviper8891Direct Link to This Post
I have decided to get the Clarion ProAudio DXZ845MC. According to people here and at many other forums, Clarion offers very clear and clean sound. It also has the 80 variable color backlighting for the display and buttons which I love, since I want it to match with my Grand Am's red backlighting. Another thing I liked about it, was the Music Catcher feature that takes songs off of CDs and saves them in 128 mb of internal memory. It also had many of the same features that the others had. The last thing about it I like is the 2 year warranty that, according to Crutchfield, would not be removed or something like that if it is not installed professionally. Anyways, once I get it and have it installed I will make sure to take some pics if you guys would like.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i had the clarion that was a step up, but last years model just like that one, and i LOVED it, i just bought it and sold it with my GTP, the color choices are nice, you can match ANY interior perfectly, great sound, and easy to use,
i got it for $200 on clearance since it was last years model, but im thinking of going and getting another one (they had 2 left) i really liked it,
i chose that over a $400 eclipse great sound, i would get that

that pioneer looks nice that would be my 2nd choice

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post

$Rich$

14575 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by blackviper8891:

I have decided to get the Clarion ProAudio DXZ845MC. According to people here and at many other forums, Clarion offers very clear and clean sound. It also has the 80 variable color backlighting for the display and buttons which I love, since I want it to match with my Grand Am's red backlighting. Another thing I liked about it, was the Music Catcher feature that takes songs off of CDs and saves them in 128 mb of internal memory. It also had many of the same features that the others had. The last thing about it I like is the 2 year warranty that, according to Crutchfield, would not be removed or something like that if it is not installed professionally. Anyways, once I get it and have it installed I will make sure to take some pics if you guys would like.

good choice
only draw back is the 80 color choices DONT include white or blue but any red orange yellow or green is 100% matchable)

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackviper8891:

I have decided to get the Clarion ProAudio DXZ845MC. According to people here and at many other forums, Clarion offers very clear and clean sound.

Good choice. I heard the same good reports about Clarion products.
Up there with Denon (now discontinued and EXPENSIVE if you manage to find one) and Eclipse.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-03-2005).]

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
i have the alpine 9805 i think (its silver with blue coloring like the one above) and a jvc that cost more than the alpine. i gotta tell ya, im taking the jvc out to put the alpine in. the alpine deck with the stock speakers gets better sound than the stupid jvc with alpine 5x7 speakers. i bought an alpine for my dad for christmas, and it matches his green ranger perfectly. i'll never buy anything but apine for heads. maybe infinity for speakers. but alpine all the way, ya just cant beat it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock