Started on: 12-03-2004 12:03 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Fastback 86 on 12-03-2004 05:53 PM
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I'm doing a 7 page report on Nikola Tesla, and just thought I'd share...

He basically invented our way of life today. He invented the idea of alternating current, and the system to make it possible. Without it, we'd still be using Edison's direct current.

"Well Ryan, wtf would that mean to me??"

I'll tell you. We'd have power plants every 5 blocks to power about a hundred houses. Imagine the pollution all THOSE would make! Plus, instead of the typical thin power wires you see today, they'd be as thick as your arm.

But that's not all, Johnny! He also invented fluorescent lighting, and RADIO. Yes, that's right. He, not Marconi, is responsible for the invention of radio and wireless communications.

As a side note... He is also responsible for something interesting..... A "Death ray". Something copied from his designs is being used right this very minute in Alaska (watch out Boondiggity!) It is known as project HAARP, High Frequency Active Auroral Research Project. What does it do? Basically, it microwaves the atmosphere. Now think about this for a minute...

Why can't meteorologists predict the weather a week from now? Why can't we predict whether it will rain or snow in SEVEN days? The short answer is because of something similar to the 'butterfly effect'. Basically, if a farmer decides to plow his field in idaho, it could plow under yellowed corn stalks (which reflect light), and produces a dirt-brown field (which absorbs light). Well now this field is actively heating the atmosphere, and might change the atmospheric surface temperatures by one degree. And that causes it to gather momentum like a snowball down a hill, and you've got a deluge of rain in new york.

Now if a butterfly flapping it's wings in california can cause a tsunami in Japan, imagine what 'nuking' the atmosphere with 3.6 Megawatts - 1 gigawatt of power could do! (Reports vary on how much power it can actually transmit)

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 12-03-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
The problem with Tesla (as you no doubt have learned in your research) is that most of what we know of his "inventions" is speculation.

IIRC, Legend has it that he started his inventing while working for Edison. Part of his contract stated that any intelectual property concieved while 'on the clock' became the property of Edison himself. When Edison called Tesla on this, and 'stole' a design or two, Tesla did two things. 1) quit. 2) stoped writing down his inventions for fear that they might be 'stolen' again. Unfortunately, this means that when Telsa died, he took the secret of his many inventions to the grave with him. Most of what we know of Telsa's 'inventions' have come from the speculation of a few Reverse Engineers throughout the years...

------------------
- Liberty in our lifetime: http://www.freestateproject.org -
- "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin - How Big Do You Want Your TV to Be? " TARGET=_blank>http://www.LumenLab.com/-

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:
The problem with Tesla (as you no doubt have learned in your research) is that most of what we know of his "inventions" is speculation.

Speculation? We have 100+ of his patents. Granted, we don't have all of his research papers due to a mishap with the government borrowing all of them to copy them onto microfiche, and losing some of them. But we do have most of them.

http://www.mall-usa.com/BPCS/alpha_tesla.html

his papers also include lots of new stuff.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

ryan.hess

20784 posts
Member since Dec 2002
btw- the "bladeless turbine" was brilliant. Simply brilliant. Efficiencies approaching 60+%, compared to the typical 20-30% for the turbines we typically think of.

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, I'd like to see these patents. My guess would be that they are patents of specific LRUs (military term. Line Replaceable Unit. ie: smaller replacable parts of the bigger whole) and not of significant importance. But then, I could be wrong. It's been a while since we discussed him in my Physics class. Hence the "IIRC"...

------------------
- Liberty in our lifetime: http://www.freestateproject.org -
- "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin - How Big Do You Want Your TV to Be? " TARGET=_blank>http://www.LumenLab.com/-

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
He was a brilliant man...inventor of many many things.....remember what he did to that field of trees up in Alaska?

zzzzap!

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:
Hmm, I'd like to see these patents.

Well... you can go to that website I posted above, and type the patent number into here:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm

and look 'em up. I haven't found a place that shows all of the patents.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

ryan.hess

20784 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by FieroRumor:
remember what he did to that field of trees up in Alaska?

Did I miss something?

another interesting topic... He put a mechanical oscillator on one of his lab's steel support trusses, and caused the building to oscillate at it's resonant frequency. This caused all the windows in the adjacent buildings to explode, and basically cause a mini earthquake with his labs as the center. The police even showed up, and he was like, "you missed the show"

oh, let us not forget he invented X-rays

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 12-03-2004).]

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I was hoping this thread was about Tesla!

As I recall, when he died, his notes and what not were seized by the Government and returned to his home country of Yugoslavia, where they are on display at the Nikola Tesla museum. I'm sure they've been thoroughly studied.

Anyone ever hear the story of him turning on a light from 5 miles away with no wires? Far as I know, it was a real experiment and no one has ever figured it out. The man was a genius, but like you said, he stopped writting it all down. The worlds loss, unfortunately.

Also, Tesla Coils are lots of fun!

And, I'll be seeing Tesla in concert with the Scorpions and Keith Emmerson tomarrow night! Woo hoo!

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
The band Tesla got me interested in the man Tesla. I read a few books on him bak in high school and was amazed at the genius of his ideas. From what I can recall Edison hated him for making AC the preferred power source over DC. The radio was finally credited to him in like the 40's, way after his death, but to this day people still spout about Marconi and radio.

It would be cool to get 60 minutes with this guy and try and pick his brain.

shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Direct Link to This Post
I remember playing with a Tesla coil back in high school. The air was so ionized around it, you could place a flourescent lamp near it and it would light up. Also, if you actually got an arc going to your body, it would carry through your body and whoever you touch would get the shock. I had an arc going thru me and then grabbed my friends nipple. He screamed like a girl. Have youe seen pictures of his super huge Tesla coil? He did actually build it, right?? Very interesting man!!!

Kris

PFF
System Bot
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
And you all know about his personal life. To me, he was the definition of the thin line between genius and insanity.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

The band Tesla got me interested in the man Tesla.

Not that its really relevant to the discussion at hand, but I saw Tesla and the Scorpions in concert on Halloween

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

He was a brilliant man...inventor of many many things.....remember what he did to that field of trees up in Alaska?

zzzzap!

it was siberia my friend.

ive read alot about this guy.

he did actually build a tesla coil. when he had that thing going, it was pumping so much electricity into the ground that people in the nearby town were receiving electric shocks as they walked. it did actually toast the power plant that he was getting power from (he had a friend at the plant that was hooking him up). set it on fire from a loooooong ways away. There might have been one other small side effect. At almost exactly the same time that this experiment was taking place, a mysterious explosion rocked a remote section of Siberia, to the tune of about a 15-megaton blast (40 years before the first Atomic Bomb test).

ha, then theres his car. Supported by the Pierce-Arrow Co. and General Electric in 1931, he took the gasoline engine from a new Pierce-Arrow and replaced it with an 80-horsepower alternating-current electric motor with no external power source. At a local radio shop he bought 12 vacuum tubes, some wires and assorted resistors, and assembled them in a circuit box 24 inches long, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high, with a pair of 3-inch rods sticking out. Getting into the car with the circuit box in the front seat beside him, he pushed the rods in, announced, "We now have power," and proceeded to test drive the car for a week, often at speeds of up to 90 mph.

this guy was awesome.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShaddowGt:
At almost exactly the same time that this experiment was taking place, a mysterious explosion rocked a remote section of Siberia, to the tune of about a 15-megaton blast (40 years before the first Atomic Bomb test).

Ohh.. You mean Tunguska(sp?)? I thought we were in agreement it was a meteor?

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
I think of him every time I play red alert.

------------------

People that rate at the drop of a hat can kiss my lily white azz and If you don't like it I'd be proud to sport a negative from you.

And folks always remember to eat before driving on the coast.If you fly off the cliff and no one finds you the only thing worse than knowing you are going to bleed to death alone is to do it hungry.
PLAY HARD-DIE FAST

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve Normington:

And you all know about his personal life. To me, he was the definition of the thin line between genius and insanity.

My thoughts too. Engineless aircraft, AC power...ECT.

Edison... same thing.From the lightbulb to building a machine so that we could talk to the dead thru electric wavs...

As nutty as some of their stuff was, their genius changed the planet forever. We need more people like that.

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
But if he is the forgotten inventor how can we be talking about him?

I forget.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

Not that its really relevant to the discussion at hand, but I saw Tesla and the Scorpions in concert on Halloween

I'm going to that concert tonight! WOOT!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock