Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Community Service - There, Their, and They're (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Community Service - There, Their, and They're by APShaughnessy
Started on: 11-14-2004 11:48 AM
Replies: 59
Last post by: lurker on 11-18-2004 01:21 PM
lurker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
"this web sight is full of spelling natzis!".
IP: Logged
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

lurker

12351 posts
Member since Feb 2002
[spelling/grammar nazi]

Originally posted by APShaughnessy:
...if they are using it wrong so they don't use the wrong form in a very moving thread....

wrongly. youre using it as an adverb, not as an adjective.

SO, no no further adue, let class begin.

without further ado

I hope this helps yall out!

"yall" is a contraction of "you all", hence "Y'all".
[/spelling/grammar nazi]
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post11-15-2004 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

"this web sight is full of spelling natzis!".

Go easy on him lurker, he is still "kinda" green.

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Yep!! It should be "with no further ADO!!" (Shakespeare, y'know!!)

Lol...beaned in my own reply! You and Raydar both caught it.

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if anyone covered it yet, but my latest pet peeve is: your

It's bad enough when someone calls you an a**h***, but it really takes the cake if they say "your an a**h***". My an a**h***? How does that work? I mean, don't bother calling me an a**h*** or some similar insult, but not show enough intelligence and thought to use proper English.

Your: posessive. It means that you own it, or it belongs to you.

You're: you are. as in "you're an a**h***", or "you are an a**h***". (somehow, I don't think your English teacher would have used that as an example.)

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 11-15-2004).]

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

OK, lets not loose sight of the thread, here, folks. You all know where your dictionary is at.

Lose, not loose. Loose is an adjective. Lose is a verb. And I won't even get started on the commas or ending a sentence with a preposition.

P.O.L. Mafia

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for P.O.L. MafiaClick Here to visit P.O.L. Mafia's HomePageSend a Private Message to P.O.L. MafiaDirect Link to This Post
HUKT ON FONIKS WERKT FOUR ME!!!!!!!

I SO FA KING WE TODD ID!!!!!

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

[my head explodes]

It's not even a complete sentence. Second of all, the word "cars" needs to have an apostrophe in it somewhere, to denote possession, i.e. "car's brakes" or "cars' brakes". Third, you have confusing pronouns... two 3rd-person plural pronouns (they and them) pointing to two different nouns. "They" could refer to the people or the brakes. Likewise for "them". And finally, I believe there should be a comma after the word "brakes", to seperate the two phrases.

Sorry, couldn't help it. I usually don't pay much attention to other people's grammar. But since you were trying to cite a correct example...

I said BETTER, not PERFECT I didn't feel like re-typing the whole thing, which is the only way to make it grammatically correct. As for the apostrophe, I used to have a grade school teacher that would always say you could only use the possesive apostrophe for a person, not an object, animal, or thing, and I wanted to see if anyone caught that and would post a link to a good explenation of it.

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
Two all of my Fiero friends,

[sarcasm]accasionally we all make poor choices for the words we type. Some times it's misspeelled words, other times it's the wrong word at the wrong time. Four instance their was this one thread where almost everyone speeled at least one word wrong. Everyone needs to chill out and take a look at there own grammer and stop all the word hateing.[/sarcasm]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ: ...I wanted to see if anyone caught that and would post a link to a good explenation of it.

Sure, no problem. A Google search for "apostrophe use" turned up several thousand hits. Here are a few:

-- Purdue University Writing Lab
-- BCC Writing Lab
-- Apostrophe Protection Society

Hopefully, you found this helpful.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

Two all of my Fiero friends,

[sarcasm]...Everyone needs to chill out and take a look at there own grammer and stop all the word hateing...

Hey, I'm cool!

I don't hate nuthin'!

PFF
System Bot
APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap, I start a thread to point out a simple mistake to help out my fellow members and yall start attackin each other. Thats just great! So much love!
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Slacker. We were on the road at that time to autocross at the last event in Salina, and here you were wasting time trying to correct spelling and grammar errors.

Want to bet who had the most fun??

John Stricker

PS: BTW, I beat Chris. Muwahahahahaha 2/10 of a second. I psycehed him out so bad he spun on his last run. I say again.......... Muwahahahaha

Originally posted by litespd:

Shouldn't that read "SO, with no further adieu, let class begin"? Let those without sin cast the first stone....

Sorry, AP....it's a Sunday morning, I'm in a weird mood, and I'm just playin' with you. Whenever one of these threads pop up, though, it's always like a magnet for me, and others, too...."let's see how many mistakes he makes while he's correcting us". I'm sure I've made a few mistakes in what I've written, too.

Have a good Sunday..

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

Slacker. We were on the road at that time to autocross at the last event in Salina, and here you were wasting time trying to correct spelling and grammar errors.

Hey, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it..

Want to bet who had the most fun??

Hehehehe....I have no doubt who had the most fun. I was bored...I'm betting you can't say the same!

PS: BTW, I beat Chris. Muwahahahahaha 2/10 of a second. I psycehed him out so bad he spun on his last run. I say again.......... Muwahahahaha

About time, old man....oh, waittaminit....you're younger than I am... Nice to know our generation can still show the "youngins" a thing or two from time to time....

Oh, by the way....it's "psyched".....or is it?

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by P.O.L. Mafia:

HUKT ON FONIKS WERKT FOUR ME!!!!!!!

Are you sure you read the book right. Looks more like Hooked on Ebonics to me

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by pokeyfiero (edited 11-18-2004).]

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

i give up, ive tried and tried, and cant figure out what this means. the "i so fa king" part seems clear enough, but what is "we todd id"?

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Are you sure you read the book right. Looks more like Hooked on Ebonics to me

Hooked on ebonics is a regular study in California.

------------------
Capable of extraordinary mental processes, such as mental telepathy POKEY transmits his super psychic forces To will steve(derangedsheep) back to health.
Save the Sheep.
Member of the get your azz better brigade.

P.O.L. Mafia

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for P.O.L. MafiaClick Here to visit P.O.L. Mafia's HomePageSend a Private Message to P.O.L. MafiaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

i give up, ive tried and tried, and cant figure out what this means. the "i so fa king" part seems clear enough, but what is "we todd id"?

we todd id = retarded

getting someone else to say it is funny as hell. did it to a coworker and he didn't pick up on it but everyone else did. he walked around the shop saying "I sofa king we todd id,,,,,, i don't get it" all day long. i laghed so hard my side hurt.

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

we todd id = retarded

doh!
now i feel we todd id.
thanks

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors