Started on: 05-31-2003 03:52 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 2birds on 05-31-2003 11:55 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Not sure why this came to mind today, but it's time to tell it.
A strange turn of events that happened while I was with HMH-463 @ Marble Mountain Air Facility, RVN. (HMH= Marine,Heavy, Helicopter)
My identical twin brother, Ron joined the USN about 6 months after I left for Marine boot camp @ MCRD. We were & still are, very close, & his 2nd ship was the USS Sanctuary, a USN hospital ship with better severe trauma facilities than they had Danang. After I reported aboard 463, & began flying as a gunner, I heard about the Sanctuary being offshore, and it wasn't long till I could see that big white ship with the red cross on the side, from the beach at Marble. It cruised up & down the coast, 3 miles out, in international waters most of the time, taking on wounded which were brought out by Army, Navy, & Marine helos. Ron had already sent me a letter saying he wasn't allowed ashore, even tho they sometimes anchored off the deepwater pier at Danang. By this time, I hadn't seen my brother in a couple of years, so, sometime in Oct I think, I went up the CoC (chain of command)to request a visit out to his ship. We flew medivacs out there almost daily anyway. It got as far as the 1st sgt and he said, no sweat, I'll take care of it for you. A week later, as I got ready for the day's mission, I found we were taking an extra gunner. It was the 1st shirt(I can see his face, but can't remember his name) Rather than having someone else take my place as gunner, he took it while I spent a few hrs on board the ship, or as he jokingly put it "Malingering with the swabbies". He was that kind of Marine-he took care of his own.
We landed on the deck of the Sanctuary, I told the OD who I was, & what I was doing there. My brother came up from below, gave me a tour of the ship, showed me what he did as a damage controlman,& introduced me to a few of the nurses (they acted like they didn't even know who he was , much less have any interest in meeting a somewhat dashing but lowly Marine Sgt). Ate lunch in the ship's galley, which was much better than the red death (corned beef) from MMAF, & ate more ice cream than should be allowed in a lifetime. It would be many months before I tasted anymore. I heard over the 1mc to report to the helo deck & caught my ride back to MMAF on a CH46 from Purple Fox (HMM-364).
Fast fwd to last week in Nov-1st week of Dec. We're on our way out to LZ Baldy on a milk run of some sort, when the pilot tells me they have to divert $ take me out to Sanctuary-NOW. My brother had been hospitalized. I
get there & he's laid up, looks like hammered dog pooh, a tube in every orifice of his body. Critical condition the doc told me, with a very low blood count, % white as a ghost. Some kind of severe gastro problems. Gets medivac'd back to CONUS & ends up at NAS Corpus Christi which is the closest medical facility to our home near Houston.. He later told me he ate like a pig for Thanksgiving at a beach party somewhere off Vietnam, then drank about 25 rum & cokes. Naturally, he got sick & heaved up part of his insides. Almost bled to death over the next few days before collapsed & had to be carried to sickbay. He recovered, but got an early medical discharge, honorable conditions.

Years later, when we were both back home, I used to give him a hard time about his easy life in the navy & him getting sick & all. Finally one day, as we were walking across the pasture, he stopped me in the middle of razzing him, & said.
"I had good reason to drink. You know, when the helos were coming in, we all had to form a working party on the helo deck, to carry the wounded down below. They were shot all to pieces most of the time. We were told not to look a their faces. It was bad enough seeing all those wounded men every day & night, but then I had to make myself look in their faces, scared to death it would be you. I had nightmares about it. What would I have told Mama?" He began to cry. So did I.
I never gave him a hard time again. He was fighting a war too.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-31-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84Bill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2003 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
The shells of war may stop falling at the end of hostilities. A soldier may return having never been injured. All soldiers returning from war still fight it within themselves. Once engaged in battle a soldier does not leave the battle field for many years, sometimes never.

Honor the men still fighting and let them know, you know. It does not require words somtimes actions and the look on your face is enough.

No one knows peace better than a war soldier because a war soldier has no peace. Whats worse is we take for granted what he fought/fights so hard for.

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 05-31-2003).]

fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post
Don, that was great. Thanks for sharing it.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
It's no wonder you are so well liked,you are a hell of a man!Thanks!
trailboss

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trailbossSend a Private Message to trailbossDirect Link to This Post
I can really relate to that story, I have one brother that is a "Jarhead", another a "squid". They always razzed each other, but have great respect for one another.
My father saw a lot of carnage in Vietnam and Korea, but he never spoke much about it.
It must really be difficult for some of our veterans, even after all these years.
Thanks for sharing that with us.
Thank you for your service, and thank your brother for us. Many of our families owe a debt of gratitude to the professionalism and self sacrifice given to our loved ones by people like him.
Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
WampusCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WampusCatSend a Private Message to WampusCatDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Don.
2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
As always, Don has the writing skills of a genius.

Thanks for sharing.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock