Started on: 12-09-2002 02:48 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: calamityjane on 12-10-2002 02:41 AM
calamityjane

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post
http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/baghdad_internet021205.html?partner=earthlink

It seems that the world wide web doesn't include everyone. Email is even banned to those few with acess to the web. An american company is helping with this censorship of information. Let's boycott them. Who's with me?

------------------

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
How?
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
why? is the software company responsible for the uses a customer has for its product?

does it make us supporters of terrorism if we buy oil from muslim nations? are we supporting communism if we buy goods from china?

calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hugh:

How?

Well, we couldn't unless somebody developes higher volume filters for ISP's and other such enties. It was a knee jerk response. My fingers typed before I thought about it. Actually I have no idea what other hardware and software technologies they have developed.

[This message has been edited by calamityjane (edited 12-09-2002).]

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Boycott them why? Because they produce software tailored to a customers needs?

This software probably keeps a number of Americans employed, so what if the money comes from Iraq?, money is money. It's not like they are selling them weapons or something.

I work on peoples cars that I preferably would rather not to, but hey, their money is as good as the next guys, so they get treated the same way.

Don't worry, I'm not supporting Iraq, I think a glass parking lot would fit just fine over there....

The funniest thing is that the Iraqi government is so anti-US, and here they are purchasing an American product. What a bunch of turds.

I'd just try to keep taking as much as their money as possible, the dumbasses

------------------

1988GT T-Tops, 5spd, Loaded

calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

why? is the software company responsible for the uses a customer has for its product?

does it make us supporters of terrorism if we buy oil from muslim nations? are we supporting communism if we buy goods from china?

We have been making companies responsible for who they sell their products to if they knowingly cause harm to or defraud others. While censorship is not illegal in Iraq, it is morally wrong. 8e6 technologies is helping a government to keep information out of the hands of people who may be benefitted by having that information. Eric Lundbohm knows that it is wrong because he made it a point to say that he did not sell this product to an Iraqi entity. Maybe he did it unknowingly, who knows. I still believe that companies are responsible for the integrity of their decisions. I know that the demograpic base of computer owners on the net is small over there, but if some minds can be changed over there through knowledge, maybe it will be better for everyone someday. Maybe this is unrealistic, but it's the way I feel about it.

[This message has been edited by calamityjane (edited 12-09-2002).]

calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

calamityjane

2221 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

Boycott them why? Because they produce software tailored to a customers needs?

This software probably keeps a number of Americans employed, so what if the money comes from Iraq?, money is money. It's not like they are selling them weapons or something.

I'd just try to keep taking as much as their money as possible, the dumbasses

I don't feel it is a money issue. To me it is an issue of morality, integrity, and the sharing of knowledge which may be to everyone's benefit.

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by calamityjane:
We have been making companies responsible for who they sell their products to if they knowingly cause harm to or defraud others. While censorship is not illegal in Iraq, it is morally wrong. 8e6 technologies is helping a government to keep information out of the hands of people who may be benefitted by having that information. Eric Lundbohm knows that it is wrong because he made it a point to say that he did not sell this product to an Iraqi entity. Maybe he did it unknowingly, who knows. I still believe that companies are responsible for the integrity of their decisions. I know that the demograpic base of computer owners on the net is small over there, but if some minds can be changed over there through knowledge, maybe it will be better for everyone someday. Maybe this is unrealistic, but it's the way I feel about it.

so, are gun manufacturers liable if i use their product to rob a convenience store?

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
Just because Iraq is using it, why would you assume they bought it from anybody? Somehow I doubt they have a lot of respect for our copyright laws.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

so, are gun manufacturers liable if i use their product to rob a convenience store?

Yes. And pen manufacturers are liable for your misspelled words.

calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2002 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by calamityjane:

[/QUOTE]
If they sold it to you knowing what you were going to do with it, sure I would question their integrity and tell them they're wrong. The 8e6 company hasn't done anything illegal that I know of, But I still think they're wrong if they sold it to the Iraqis while knowing the censorship that it would be used for there. JMO.

Edited cause I cain't spell.

[This message has been edited by calamityjane (edited 12-10-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2002 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

calamityjane

2221 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by DRH:

Just because Iraq is using it, why would you assume they bought it from anybody? Somehow I doubt they have a lot of respect for our copyright laws.

You have a point there DRH. Don't they have ways of determining if software has been pirated? Maybe now that 8e6 has denied selling it to them, they'll check into that. Like I said in an earlier post, My fingers typed and posted before I thought this through. I shouldn't have assumed anything.

I can't be the only one who has ever done that, so please have mercy on me you guys. Pleeease???

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock