Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Calling all Canadian smokers... (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Calling all Canadian smokers... by frontal lobe
Started on: 01-22-2001 04:50 PM
Replies: 55
Last post by: fierogt88 on 01-29-2001 03:25 PM
JohnnyK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2001 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Dude, as you say, it's just his opinion. Don't listen to him. Your over-reacting a bit..
IP: Logged
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2001 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:
first they came for the jewish people
I was not jewish and didnt care.
next they came for the gays
i was not gay and did nothing.
next commies where taken away
I was not a commie so just watched ......
loss of anyones freedom is the loss of my freedom
if you wont hire a person for smoking you are a NAZI 100% no work no food no life same as NAZI did to people.
why cannt some of tax I pay come back to me
ever by the way cigarette tax is billions but fans and vents in public bld. could allso help other forms of indoor airpolution
from bugspray, plastic outgasing woodtreatment chemicals ect.indoor air never has been clean .

Maybe you should have studied History in school and learned to write. Nazi's were not about ending freedom.
Calling names is not what the forum is about. Everyone has their opinions and views but to start branding people and calling them nazi's is uncalled for.
Freedom works both ways. Those of us that smoke, want freedom to do so and those that do not, want freedom to not breathe 2nd hand smoke. Calling people lazy because they smoke or calling people nazi's because they want a smoke-free business shows a lack of maturity.

GROW UP!

p4n1c

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2001 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for p4n1cSend a Private Message to p4n1cDirect Link to This Post
I think he's been watching to much Seinfeld.

Steve the smoke nazi:
"No smoke for you!"

It's Steves' opinion and I agree with him, I don't like 2nd hand smoke. But I have friends that smoke and I don't hate them or tell them not to smoke around me, if I don't like it, I leave.

So Ray b, lighten up man!

------------------
-=-=-=[ p4n1c ]=-=-=-
"Each passing day, every passing face seems like such a blur"
- The Offspring(Million Miles Away)

fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2001 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
Figured I would just state where I stand and leave it at that, and I did. Just pointing out I never mentioned 'lazy' in my post, it was 'inefficient'. There can be a big difference between lazy and inefficent. Plus, two people(to keep it simple, we'll say an employee and a boss for instance)can have different definitions for efficiency. An employee could be online learning about Fieros, eating a bag of Fritos and drinking a Pepsi while at work, and consider themselves being efficient, but the boss could see this very differently. Smoking ties right in here.

I'm not against smokers, but I would like to be able to get through my day without having to breathe it.

[This message has been edited by fiero56 (edited 01-26-2001).]

RiceCooker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2001 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RiceCookerSend a Private Message to RiceCookerDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this whole smoking thread is getting pretty personal, eh? (eats a handful of Fritos) Innefficient!?!? (taking a drink of pepsi) What hell is he talking about?!
Oh well, back to work.

Oh yeah, I don't smoke either - never have.

"Heil RiceCooker!"

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2001 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see rayb talk so, uh, eloquently (?) on gay rights and the plight of the Jews. Sounds like a real civil rights leader.

Seriously, that is just really tacky and disgusting that you would co-opt the pain of other people's struggle so you can enjoy a Winston after dinner while I'm coughing on my chimichanga at the next table. Being a smoker does not qualify you as a martyr, so take of the crown of thorns and shut the hell up. Pay your check and go outside to smoke. You'll get your tax dollars back when you are sucking Medicare paid oxygen into your ephysema riddled lungs.

Whew, did I just say something? My bad.

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Darklord, first off, apologies for not getting the capital and lower case letters in your name right, but I'm too lazy to scroll down and do that, and secondly, no problem. People can give their opinions all they want...as long as I get a peek at those Canadian cigarette packs out of the deal!

Also, I don't smoke cigs. or drink alcohol either. My dad did until 45y.o. when he stopped due to his death. Some people inherited genetics that can handle either or both, but I doubt I did so no thanks for me.

Anyway, I just have to tell a story that I just thought of because it was so long ago. When I was about 16 my slightly older brother bought some "cigarette loads"--those sliver looking things you slip into the end of a cigarette and when someone lights it, it blows off. So I thought I'd be a joker and get a good laugh and put one in one of my mom's cigarettes. She used to smoke like a fiend so I slipped one in and waited all night to hear the "pop". I got busy that night and never did hear it go off and forgot all about it. I went off to h.s. the next day, got home, and when my mom got home from work the first thing she said when she came in the door was, "Daniel, you low down dirty dog." I said, "What? What did I do?" She never did smoke the cigarette with the "load" in it that night but took the pack to work where she worked in an open office environment with about 15 other people at desks. Well, back then you COULD smoke on the job so she lit up the loaded cig. and POP! Everyone jumped and turned around and there my mom sits with a cigarette in her mouth with the end blown off! Oh man, I thought I'd had it. Fortunately she had a good sense of humor about it and believed me when I said I had completely forgot.

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
I can understand if job was not nessary to live but? this means no job for cliff ?
sorry if nazi thing but used in soup nazi surf nazi means total extreme way to much not national socalist
spelling and grammar not inportant freedom is ,so is freedom to work not to be black balled. no smoke ok but no smokers is wrong.
lastly i am 50 so remember south before and in 60s and anti peace rights wars in our steets was in a few.sometimes think we won but not real sure we ever will totaly
may the babyjesus shut your mouth and open your mind [faimly dog#5]
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
Frontal lobe, don't worry about the caps.
I've been called "darklord", DarkLord", "dark", "DL" and the usual "Steve".. it's all the same to me.

Loved the story btw..

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

DaRkLoRD

7001 posts
Member since Feb 99
As far as I recall, I was talking about a policy I would implement at my company in the future... JUST MY COMPANY.. not anyone elses.... Cliff doesn't work for me, and neither does anyone else here.. if people disagree with my policies, they're not being forced to work for me... I prefer to work with people that agree with my policies, not ones who fight them just for the sake of argument... if I don't want to hire people who smoke a lot, that's my decision.

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2001 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

may the babyjesus shut your mouth and open your mind [faimly dog#5]

Let me get this straight. You are quoting your dog now? Didn't Son of Sam teach you anything about listening to dogs?

Otherwise, I have no idea WHAT the hell you are talking about.

PFF
System Bot
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
faimly dog was 1960s san fran. rock commune,put on shows like bill graham at the fillmore janus jopplin doors ect.#5 is poster # quote was on, was blues project show in 1966 .not bible or my dog just old rock . ray
Sillhouette.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sillhouette.comClick Here to visit Sillhouette.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to Sillhouette.comDirect Link to This Post
Question ..

Why is it that most smokers complain about smoking and how much they wish they could quit yet they still smoke?

????

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
The answer is obvious: BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE THOSE PICTURES ON THE PACKS LIKE THE CANADIANS!

Serious answer is that nicotine is physically addicting, and then there is also a HUGE psychological component because of the massive number of repetitive movements involved. Think about it: 1 pack per day for 365 days per year times even just 10 years. You've just done something 73,000 times!!! How hard psychologically is it to quit something you've done that many times?? Or 146,000 times after 20 years. I give great credit to anyone who has been able to quit.

(Little known?) fact-the average smoker tries 7 times before he/she quits.

ur2biteme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2001 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ur2bitemeClick Here to visit ur2biteme's HomePageSend a Private Message to ur2bitemeDirect Link to This Post
well, unfortunately for me (possibly fortunately in this case) my body has the nice little ability of making me become allergic to things with prolonged exposure. i'm 22 now, i started smoking when i was 16. i'd been smoking off and on since then. well, when you grow up in rural GA, what else is there for a 15-16 year old to do?

anyway, for the most part, i never smoked more than half a pack a day until the bad relationship i got out of. really bad. i went into a really bad depression where i got up to smoking 2 packs a day. it went on like that for a couple months until my stomach started becoming really sick. come to find out, among other things, smoking can cause irratable bowel syndrome as well as many other stomach and digestive tract problems. part of my $7000 in debts right now (including my fiero) is medical bills from trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my stomach. i ran out of cash for smokes one day, woke up the next morning and my stomach wasnt completely better, it still isnt, but i didnt feel like i was about to throw up and without the sharp pains like i had been experiencing. I'm sure the fact that the air quality of this area being so bad doesnt help either. Modesto is rated #20 on the 25 worst cities for ground level ozone for 2000

so, now i'm starting to get better, but if i'm around cigarette smoke for too long, the stomach problems come back, and i start to involuntarily gag. i'll be more than willing to leave a place that someone is smoking in, and if you feel you have the right to smoke, fine. for those who have medical reasons for not being around smoke, makes them nausious, or just plain dont like to be around it, please have some courtesy. i did when i smoked. and i felt then, as i still do, that the laws in CA are good regarding this.

This is my opinion, and if i'm a nazi for stating it, sieg heil.

------------------
Bob's '87 econo coupe
170k awaiting a tranny
http://members.fortunecity.com/ur2biteme

[This message has been edited by ur2biteme (edited 01-29-2001).]

fierogt88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2001 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post
I have very strong feelings on this topic...

On the one hand, I have smoked since I was 14, have worked full time for 8 years and taken only one sick day (for passing a kidney stone) and am in very good health. So I think that "inefficiency" argument is moot, and the insurance issue should be examined on a person's medical history, not their smoking habits. I truly believe in ones right to do to themselves what they will. And I would go to war and fight for everyone's right to do so, if it were to come to that.

On the other hand, I quit smoking due to the fact that my mother (who smoked her whole life) died in September from lung cancer. We only had 3 days with her from the time we were informed of her terminal illness and she was only concious for one of those. The final two days were spent watching my mother suffocate as bubbles of gas formed under her skin, caused by her body decompising before she was even really gone, making her nearly unrecognizable to us. Every time I see a person smoking I vividly remember every detail of those 3 days. Most people who experience a loss like this find it very difficult to talk about, but I gaurantee that if you asked you would find someone close to you who has experienced something very similar who just doesn't talk about it. So if you decide to excercise your right to smoke, have a little compassion and take it somewhere else.

I also believe in the right to own guns, but if I have to see yours, we got problems...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock