What's a decent job to have??? by GT Bastard
Started on: 07-30-2000 11:08 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Foh Fum on 08-04-2000 12:14 PM
GT Bastard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2000 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Almost 2 years in a call center and I'm ready to go insane(not kidding.) Any ideas for a new job? I'm good at computers and being sarcastic.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2000 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Ever think about doing "hands on" desktop support, as opposed to telephone support?
There is an advantage, in that you can see for yourself what the computer is doing, as opposed to having someone *try* to explain it to you.
You also get to put a face with the silliness. (Sorry. Too cynical. My bad. You had to be there.)

Lest anybody think I'm being overly critical, there are several thousand people in our building. Out of those several thousand, there just HAVE to be a handful that create situations worthy of remembering and repeating. Usually over "adult" beverages. (See "Help Desk Horror Stories", elsewhere on the Internet.)

------------------

Raydar
88 Formula T-Top
88 Coupe (ISO 3800)

"Some mornings, it just isn't worth
chewing through the restraints."

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2000 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Good with computers and sarcastic..hmmmm.I know, you could be "Nick Burns, your companys computer guy" from Saturday Night Live!
if youve never seen it, you wouldnt understand, check it out if you havnt!
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2000 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I'll give you 5 bucks to come to my house and fix my computer. You can be as sarcastic as you please
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2000 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I'd give you 50 bucks (2 weeks pay) to take over my job for a day or two. Going insane?? The way my mind's been working lately, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm already there. (No joke.)
b lo 0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2000 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for b lo 0Click Here to visit b lo 0's HomePageSend a Private Message to b lo 0Direct Link to This Post
I tell ya what, I'm happier (and making more money) than I've ever been-selling car stereo equipment online (link to store is in sig) occasionally installing and doing freelance graphic artist work for www.realpages.com (BellSouth). I get LOTS of free time, I can stay home and work on the Fiero if I want (and still earn money) I DON'T have to deal with co workers, and I can take vacation whenever I want to and still get paid!! This rules!! Especially being a senior in high school and only 18!! I'm making over $30,000 a year from pretty much sitting on my a**!! It's great. Just letting you know.

------------------
'85 GT (in progress)
titled ICE-plates B LO 0

Go to www.audioimagery.i-p.com !!!

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2000 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Hey b lo.. you suck! j/k

I've always found that it's more important to have a job you actually like than one you have just to make money... I know I'll never be rich, but at least I'll be happy.

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2000 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Nick Burns, your company's computer guy...LOL...now that is a funny SNL skit.

Nick: "Now go to the menu."

Poor slob: "Where's the menu?"

Nick: "Never thought you couldn't find a menu!" ***patting slob's belly***

Nick: "Move!" ***type type***

Nick: "There, now was that so hard!"

Nick: "You're welcome!"

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2000 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
I thought companies were desperate for IT support guys or system administrators. Wouldn't that fit with your experience, or is that too close to what you are doing now?
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2000 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
IT is HUGE just not in South Dakota.. drove throught there for about 7hours and all isaw was a couple buffalo and a some lame fiberglas dinosaurs..
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2000 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The best job to have is the one I would like to get......a Billionaire! (I'd settle for a Millionaire) I'd probably be close to a million if I didn't spend so much money every week on these $*&@^%! lotto cards!
PFF
System Bot
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2000 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
In all seriousness, being a billionaire is a VERY difficult job. I know it wouldn't seem that way, but the more stuff you have, the more stuff you have to watch over=more work. I'm not saying it's BAD work, just more work. I think there are a lot of people that couldn't do it very well. Fun and interesting to think about.

Here's a philosophical saying that certainly any Fiero owner could appreciate: Everything you own, owns you.

Back to the point, not many information technology jobs in South Dakota?? Are you locked into staying in South Dakota?

Fret Naught

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2000 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fret NaughtSend a Private Message to Fret NaughtDirect Link to This Post
Figure out what it is that really jazzes you, something that you just love, don't worry about the money and do it.
You will never work another day in your life.
b lo 0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2000 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for b lo 0Click Here to visit b lo 0's HomePageSend a Private Message to b lo 0Direct Link to This Post
My advice is take as many classes on all the oddball stuff you can, and I guarantee you will find something fun that you're good at. Take it from me and Darklord, being a graphic artist is great-you get to be creative and you get to use your skills outside of work (Steve's Fieroproject.com cards, anyone?) Also, be sure to throw something in as a "hobby" occupation, like selling Fiero parts or something. I started an online store selling car stereo products, and I occasionally install. I'll be sure to post some pics of my work-including my Fiero (JL 12W6) and my best bud's Bronco (one of my faves, 2 Blue Thunder 12's, plexiglass, neon, need I say more?). See? I enjoy it so much I talk about it even when I'm not supposed to. (Am I on crack or something?)

------------------
'85 GT (in progress)
titled ICE-plates B LO 0

Go to www.audioimagery.i-p.com !!!

GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2000 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
IT jobs are available here, but I'm pretty sick of computers. I can think of plenty of ways that I could make good money, but none that I would be happy with. Thought about moving, but where?
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
I didn't realize you were ready to make a complete break from computers. Was just trying to think of something that wouldn't require completely new training.

How much time are you willing to put into schooling or training with not much income during that time? What are some of your interests? Give us some clues.

FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTSend a Private Message to FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Ever read the wrapper on a condom? They usually say "each one individually tested", or something to that effect.

I could come up with some ideas on how to test them, as long as they didn't have me do more that 5 or so per shift....

I know, BAD, BAD, BAD!!!!

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2000 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
There was a standard line when I was in the Air Force about the best base to be stationed at. The answer was your last one and your next one.

Jobs are about the same. Each one has similiar problems, the faces that go with the problems are different.

The grass is always greener syndrome. But at least on this side of the fence I know where the cow flops are located.

I have found that the people you work with can make almost any job "fun". Even taking a fun hobby and turning it into a job can become frustrating. The fun goes out of it when it becomes your livelihood.

Foh Fum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2000 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foh FumSend a Private Message to Foh FumDirect Link to This Post
If I were young and starting over I think I'd see about becoming a Mammogram Technician. Maybe start my own business and outfit a traveling Mobile Mammogram Unit for in-your-home service. Don’t really know what kind of licensing you’d need. Other requirements would be good finger dexterity and a desire to succeed. And, according to my wife, maybe a vise.

Like a boob I was a trucker for 35 years. But, I was good at it!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock