question to any webmasters here. by olympic
Started on: 07-15-2000 04:05 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Supernaut on 07-18-2000 10:46 AM
olympic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2000 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
I have been a long time member of another automotive forum here on the www. Currently, we are using a free forum hosting service provided by onecentre.com We want to use the UBB software for our forum but can we use it if we don't have our own server? Also, where do you get the UBB software? At a store or over the net? And help would be great! TIA

------------------
"Born free....taxed to death."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2000 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
Cliff?? .....anyone??

------------------

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2000 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Olympic, there's a link at the bottom of the screen to Infopop - the makers of the forum software. Ideally you need your own server because the software requires a lot of maintenance. A lot of ISPs will not let you install the software on their server because it is a serious resource hog. I've heared of several sites that had to take down their forum because of that.

Hope this helps.

olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2000 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Cliff, I like the UBB format alot. I'll see what I can do.

------------------

Supernaut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2000 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SupernautClick Here to visit Supernaut's HomePageSend a Private Message to SupernautDirect Link to This Post
I run a UBB for an online gaming team that I participate in. It was a bear to set up but once we got it running it is bulletproof.
Divide and Conquer Message Boards

There are alternatives though...free forums (even UBB) that eliminate the server and setup hassles in exchange for an ad banner.

Cliff, I made several custom message icons for the gaming forum and would be happy to make some to add to the menu here. Let me know if you are interested.

------------------
Supernaut
86 GT (in progress)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock