Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Interesting... Does this sound familiar?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Interesting... Does this sound familiar? by GT Bastard
Started on: 07-14-2000 11:19 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Monkeyman on 07-16-2000 12:44 PM
GT Bastard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2000 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Remember the thread awhile back about the JATO powered Implala myth? A friend of mine found this online. These are supposedly true stories from police & Fire dept.

"The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering metal embedded into the side of a
cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The wreckage resembled the site of an
airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene. The lab finally
figured out what it was and what had happened.

It seems that a guy had somehow gotten hold of a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off - actually
a solid fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra "push" for
taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert and found a
long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, got up
some speed and fired off the JATO!

The facts as best as could be determined are that the operator of the 1967 Impala hit JATO
ignition at a distance of approximately 3.0 miles from the crash site. This was established by
the prominent scorched and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO, if operating properly,
would have reached maximum thrust within 5 seconds, causing the Chevy to reach speeds well
in excess of 350 mph and continuing at full power for an additional 20-25 seconds. The driver,
soon to be pilot, most likely would have experienced G-forces usually reserved for
dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners, basically causing him to become insignificant
for the remainder of the event. However, the automobile remained on the straight highway for
about 2.5 miles (15-20) seconds before the driver applied and completely melted the brakes,
blowing the tires and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface, then becoming airborne
for an additional 1.4 miles and impacting the cliff face at a height of 125 feet leaving a
blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recoverable; however, small fragments of bone, teeth
and hair were extracted from the crater and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a
piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel. "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2000 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Ok important safety tip.."JATOs" can be dangerous. And to think, I was gonna install one on one of my Fieros! Oh well! ;-)
Boodoggin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2000 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoodogginSend a Private Message to BoodogginDirect Link to This Post
thats kind of sad, but for some reason Im laughing hysterically. (That would have been cool to see 1.5 miles in the air in an old impala)
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2000 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Heard it on Bob & Tom a couple of years ago. Apparently there's not an OFF switch on one of those rockets.
BN Boomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2000 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BN BoomerSend a Private Message to BN BoomerDirect Link to This Post
Until I see a link to a creditable source, this one will remain in my Urban Legend files.
olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2000 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
Thats been discussed here before at https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/000235.html If you have a spare couple of hours, read the story at the link in the first post. It may be the source for the above "urban legend"

------------------
"Born free....taxed to death."

GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2000 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that's the thread I referred to in my origional post.
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2000 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post

GT Bastard

2243 posts
Member since Sep 1999
Yes, that's the thread I referred to in my origional post.
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2000 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
Reminds me of the Bugs Bunny cartoon when his plane is spiraling towards earth and the air speed indicator is spinning wildly and stops on "Incredible, Aint it ????"
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2000 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
The plane stopped because it had "air brakes". At least that's what Bugs Bunny said.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock